What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (11 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
JuniorGong said:
Thomas has the potential to be a really good signing for someone if he is healthy. One year deal on short money and a guy who has All-Star potential if he is feeling right. Perhaps a big if but almost no downside for a team on a one year deal.
In the right role, agree. 

I disagree there's no downside with him however. He's proven he can wear out his welcome quick if things don't go his way. And a big reason he remains unsigned. Orlando IMO is far and away the best spot to earn a multi-year deal in the future. I don't think it'll be big money. Then again, I never thought it was going to be after his Boston All-Star seasons either.

There aren't too many Orlando's out there where a franchise will just make a 30 year old 5'9 guy coming off hip surgery their starting PG. Really will come down to where his head is at. Based in reality or stuck in the past? It really wouldn't shock me at all if someone overseas offered him quite a bit more money.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol:  Stunning news....

The Heat have reportedly been unable to find a trade market for Hassan Whiteside or Tyler Johnson this summer.

Miami would like to get these guys off the books in order to open up cap space for free agency in 2019, but Whiteside's attitude and effort issues have diminished his value and Johnson has an unfavorable contract with roughly $38.4 million owed to him over the next two years. The Heat have also made Dion Waiters available, but his trade value isn't great either coming off two injury-riddled seasons. As of right now, it seems likely that all these guys will begin the 2018-19 season in Miami.

Related: Dion Waiters, Tyler Johnson

Source: Miami Herald
Maybe Noah/Deng interests them. :lmao:  I'd say Brandon Knight/Tyson Chandler/Jared Dudley but I'd prefer their contracts with the latter 2 ending this year and Knight has more theoretical upside to him and they just drafted Ayton.

I don't even know how you deal Whiteside at 1) His salary, 2) Can't stay healthy, 3) He's not going to appeal to any rebuild team, 4) Already getting played off the court due to inability to shoot

I still have no clue how Tyler ####### Johnson got $20 mil/yr.

Safe to assume they'll have $55+mil/yr committed for the next 2 years for Whiteside/Tyler Johnson/Dion Waiters. Oof.

Charlie Harper said:
If the Western conference finals had taken place as the Finals instead people would be singing different tune. 

I was very worried last year during the WCF.
I know they're your team so you are going to be interested by a blowout.  But the Warriors outscored the Rockets by 63 points in the west finals.  That is one of the most lopsided series in NBA history from a total point perspective.  Sure the Rockets eeked out 3 close wins but they were blown out 4 times.  The series was never in question.

And be happy your team is going to win again this year.  A lot of people like it.  Dynasties are exciting.  People liked UCLA in the 70s.  They liked Jordan's Bulls.  I didn't like the Bulls (not old enough for UCLA) but I'm probably in the minority there.  But there's no reason to pretend like it was a close series.  Be happy your team has no challengers again this year.

I know they're your team so you are going to be interested by a blowout.  But the Warriors outscored the Rockets by 63 points in the west finals.  That is one of the most lopsided series in NBA history from a total point perspective.  Sure the Rockets eeked out 3 close wins but they were blown out 4 times.  The series was never in question.

And be happy your team is going to win again this year.  A lot of people like it.  Dynasties are exciting.  People liked UCLA in the 70s.  They liked Jordan's Bulls.  I didn't like the Bulls (not old enough for UCLA) but I'm probably in the minority there.  But there's no reason to pretend like it was a close series.  Be happy your team has no challengers again this year.
:lmao: :lmao:

Edit: It deserved another one

All you from the old thread.

I don't see how this is even a close series.  I expect GS wins in 5 at worst.  We're still at least a year from interesting basketball.

1 team has a chance this year just like last year.  That's a bit different than the top 3ish teams.  If GS is in a close series this year (even if they win) I'm wrong, but I doubt you'll be quoting this in a few days/weeks since I'm not going to be wrong on this.

Next year who knows.  Happily things are happening that might make the dynasty end quicker than expected.  Or at least make a competitive series for GS next year if they win a 3-peat depending on LeBron and Boston's moves in the summer.

Again when GS curb stops Houston I'm sure you'll have forgotten this conversation and make the same comments when I say the finals is not going to be a real series.

And then you disappeared once the Rockets won game 4 and 5 and now you are back acting like it is a forgone conclusion again. It is not. The only reason the Warriors should be the heavy favorite in the West is because it looks like Houston got worse, San Antonio isn't getting Kawhi back and LeBron didn't form a new super team for this year. The Warriors are the same as last year.

Dubs were down 3-2 and if it weren't for CP3 injury the last few games would have been closer and Dubs could have lost. 

I'm enjoying the winning for sure, but saying that the Dubs had it easy last year completely ignores how well Houston played. 

Dubs were down 3-2 and if it weren't for CP3 injury the last few games would have been closer and Dubs could have lost. 

I'm enjoying the winning for sure, but saying that the Dubs had it easy last year completely ignores how well Houston played. 
I am more on your side, but it should be acknowledged that if iggy were healthy then it may not have been so close.

of course, that is always a variable to consider if thinking about overall competitiveness.

I am more on your side, but it should be acknowledged that if iggy were healthy then it may not have been so close.

of course, that is always a variable to consider if thinking about overall competitiveness.
We can play that game all day by Niles standard that the Warriors have made the NBA boring and meaningless. 

What if Kyrie and Love were healthy in 2015?

What if Green doesn't get suspended and Curry is fully healthy in 2016?

What if Kawhi doesn't get hurt in 2017?

What if Paul or Iggy don't get hurt this year?

Players get hurt and everyone else moves on. 

Next year he will (and several others) will move the goal posts again if it doesn't fit their argument. We all get things wrong, but the Warriors have ruined the NBA crowd seem to want to be right rather than say, "I was wrong, someone gave the Warriors a run. "

You should maybe be a handicapper, seems like you really have your finger on the NBA pulse

I've heard that Iggy bit from a few people. He was playing decent in the playoffs but he was a shell of his former self through the regular season. These next two seasons might look pretty rough with his contract.

and double salute to the nameless GM of the Sixers who got the unprotected 1st from Miami. they aren't repairing that anytime soon, and will be just good enough to not get a top lottery pick in the next 2 years
Not only that, '21 might be the year that HS seniors are eligible again, which will create a SuperDraft(tm). 

W/re to LeBron's draw, the Lakers 1st preseason game is held annually in San Diego, and it immediately sold out the day after LeBron's announcement.

Being the brilliant guy I am, I picked up tickets for La Familia GunZ prior to the announcement, so when you see highlights in early October of LeBron in street clothes for his first official game in the Laker organization, know that I'm getting irresponsiblity tanked in the stands to make up for dropping a couple bills to watch Moe Wagner and Alex Caruso get 30+ minutes. 
TFTI

my word i feel terrible for Celtics' fans. All giddy still about how awesome their team is, and how they are going to win 7 titles in a row, and it is all just a fantasy.........

that shot at 1:46 though  :shock: . what the hell else can you do about that?
Imagine having Tatum and the Kings pick next year instead of a second year player still learning how to shoot from outside...now that would be a fantasy... 

Imagine having Tatum and the Kings pick next year instead of a second year player still learning how to shoot from outside...now that would be a fantasy... 
Well we wouldn't have Tatum either way because Ainge was taking him regardless. It would have been less egregious if your GM hadn't taken advantage of our mentally handicapped one at the time. Fultz as #3 pick and we keep the Kings pick makes it hurt less when he loses his mind.

isn't it structured that way because of the Arenas rule?
well, it is true that it is structured that way because of the Arenas rule.  But as far as I know, the offering team is allowed to average out the total value of the contract each year regardless of how the offer sheet is structured, whereas the home team is required to maintain that structure, which can be quite detrimental to them.

well, it is true that it is structured that way because of the Arenas rule.  But as far as I know, the offering team is allowed to average out the total value of the contract each year regardless of how the offer sheet is structured, whereas the home team is required to maintain that structure, which can be quite detrimental to them.
Not sure if this was recently changed, but the offering team now automatically averages the value for cap purposes, while the matching team gets to choose whether to average or whether to have the cap hit match the value. Either way it  sucks because if you tried to trade the guy in the last two years of the deal, the acquiring team is having to pay out the inflated part of the contract in actual dollars, even if the cap hit is smoothed. 

Not sure if this was recently changed, but the offering team now automatically averages the value for cap purposes, while the matching team gets to choose whether to average or whether to have the cap hit match the value. Either way it  sucks because if you tried to trade the guy in the last two years of the deal, the acquiring team is having to pay out the inflated part of the contract in actual dollars, even if the cap hit is smoothed. 
I think this is only true if they have cap space to cover the AAV. If not, they still get a cap hit similar to Tyler Johnson's.

As long as they can fit him under the cap, the matching team can structure it normally.  If it puts them over they use remaining cap space or MLE with normal escaltor for the first two seasons and are allowed to balloon the salary in following years to match the offer dollar for dollar.

Great news - after his showing in the summer league, Duncan Robinson earned a two way contract with the Heat. Nice work. #goblue
He's a good example why SL is great to me.  It's an opportunity to watch guys play for their basketball lives on a big stage like Robinson.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread