What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunno if Leprechauns can handle that kind of elevation, but the Li'l Fella will be a perfect sparkplug off the bench  for the Nugs (if he's sound) and he won't stick out on a team that don't play a lick o' defense anyway. Denver replaces Rockets as my West team agin the Big Bad Coasties
That is not how defense works.

I thought this at first too. It was Felicio and Lopez for Melo. Saves them about 7 mil on the surface. Some more if they can unload Lopez or find a third partner. 

As a bulls fan, I'd love it. But OKC trading a single season of a horrific contract for 3 years of a bad one, just doesnt seem that great.

I wish I had all the numbers behind OKCs options at this point because I'm sure it only comes down to that. 
No, straight up. If you include Lopez it mucks things up. Bulls have the cap space to absorb the difference in the salaries.  

Overall Karnisovas did a pretty good job dumping all of that salary between the 2 trades, though it is obviously still baffling as to why he amplified that problem in the first place.
The Nuggets have a fantastic scouting department (formerly ran by Karnisovas, I think) and have drafted very well, but otherwise I can't figure out the front office. They are incredibly hot and cold. 

I thought this at first too. It was Felicio and Lopez for Melo. Saves them about 7 mil on the surface. Some more if they can unload Lopez or find a third partner. 

As a bulls fan, I'd love it. But OKC trading a single season of a horrific contract for 3 years of a bad one, just doesnt seem that great.

I wish I had all the numbers behind OKCs options at this point because I'm sure it only comes down to that. 
Trading Melo for Felicio straight up, assuming Melo would allow the trade, would save the Thunder over $100 million this year in salary + tax payments. They could really save a ####load of money if they make that trade, give Singler away with a second round pick and a bit of money, and stretch Felicio (his cap hit would go from like $8M for the next three years to $3M for the next 7 years). 

The espn machine says no go. I'd realistically do either.
They barely squeeze it in with Nwaba being renounced and Kilpatrick waived. I don’t know if the trade machine has been updated with the minor moves.

Anyway, Twitter is going crazy about Jabari Parker signing with the Bulls so that will unfortunately likely happen instead.

Trading Melo for Felicio straight up, assuming Melo would allow the trade, would save the Thunder over $100 million this year in salary + tax payments. They could really save a ####load of money if they make that trade, give Singler away with a second round pick and a bit of money, and stretch Felicio (his cap hit would go from like $8M for the next three years to $3M for the next 7 years). 
Melo would agree if the Bulls agreed to waive him. He might take a few million hit on a buyout. That would have to be figured out ahead of time.

Jabari Parker "apparently" wants to be a Bull, according to Vincent Goodwill of NBCS Chicago.

After the Bulls rescinded the qualifying offer on David Nwaba, the Bulls should have about $20 million in cap space. Before this new NBCS report, K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune suggested that the Bulls have something bigger planned, so a big offer for the Chicago native could be it.

Source: Vincent Goodwill on Twitter
A very weird fit if this happens. Not that it'd be out of the ordinary for management here that's tried acquiring 95 Pgs over the last couple years. None of Lauri, Carter or Parker are 3s and will get ugly if they try any of them there. They're already punting defense at the 2 with Lavine there. He probably isn't long term but there's also Portis. I think Milwaukee matches TBH.

I'd do the Melo deal and Asik/Lopez come off next offseason. Just amazing they have Lopez/Asik/Felicio on the books this year for over $30mil :lmao:  

Last edited by a moderator:
A very weird fit if this happens. Not that it'd be out of the ordinary for management here that's tried acquiring 95 Pgs over the last couple years. None of Lauri, Carter or Parker are 3s and will get ugly if they try any of them there. They're already punting defense at the 2 with Lavine there. He probably isn't long term but there's also Portis. I think Milwaukee matches TBH.

I'd do the Melo deal and Asik/Lopez come off next offseason. Just amazing they have Lopez/Asik/Felicio on the books this year for over $30mil :lmao:  
Looks like this is happening:

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

FollowFollow @wojespn

Restricted free agent forward Jabari Parker and the Chicago Bulls are progressing on a deal, league sources tell ESPN. Discussions over a number to topics still ongoing.
I agree with your post above except the part about the Bucks matching.  

hmm, if this is accurate, Butler didn't sign his extension. Wondering if he is holding out for closer to a max, or if he is serious about leaving the team. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2785923-jimmy-butler-rejects-timberwolves-4-year-110m-contract-extension-offer

Have to figure the T-Wolves know the answer. Would make sense for them to trade him early. Just weird how they traded for him last year and he is making a big deal about not wanting to be there
He can get a #### load more money this off-seaso, something like 5/180-190. Nobody expected him to take the extension, but it was the most the Wolves could offer.

He can get a #### load more money this off-seaso, something like 5/180-190. Nobody expected him to take the extension, but it was the most the Wolves could offer.
makes sense, i was wondering why it wasn't higher. 

on a side note, lots of grumbling in NFL right now with players being upset how much NBA players are getting. i think contrat is up in 2 or 3 years, wonder how that will turn out. have to think guaranteed contracts will be a big push, seeing guys like Deng getting paid what he is for nothing

Looks like this is happening:

I agree with your post above except the part about the Bucks matching.  
You're probably right. Looks like they signed Ilyasova to multi-year deal.

I'm surprised a small market team like the Bucks, forced to build through the draft, would let a young guy like Parker get away barring an overpay elsewhere. Got to sting a bit letting him walk yet being saddled with paying $20+mil/yr for Tony Snell and Dellavedova. I guess it remains to be seen what Chicago offers. Is it Julius Randle type deal or Zach Lavine type? 

--------------

Chicago Front Office is just a mess. Seems like they're just throwing #### against the wall and hoping something sticks. I read somewhere they paid Wade $39 mil for his 1 season when all was said and done. Unbelievable. :lol:  

Craig_MiamiFL said:

At least we didn't Max Cameron Payne YET. Sounds like Parker wants to go home to Chicago and Chicago wants to employ him at the 3 with WCJ/Lauri at 5/4 and Lavine Dunn at 2 and 1

modogg said:
hmm, if this is accurate, Butler didn't sign his extension. Wondering if he is holding out for closer to a max, or if he is serious about leaving the team. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2785923-jimmy-butler-rejects-timberwolves-4-year-110m-contract-extension-offer

Have to figure the T-Wolves know the answer. Would make sense for them to trade him early. Just weird how they traded for him last year and he is making a big deal about not wanting to be there
Really never was his choice to go there though. He was simple traded there. 

Insein said:
Tanking is how they got Timmy.
They just stunk. half their roster was injured. Robinson missed 6 games to start the year before breaking his foot, Sean Elliot was limited to 39 games, Person and Del Negro missed time and they had an aging Nique. Last I checked the Spurs had an actual roster full of competitive players. The Sixers ended up signing a bunch of guys who'd be the last pick on the street ball team. 

Craig_MiamiFL said:
You're probably right. Looks like they signed Ilyasova to multi-year deal.

I'm surprised a small market team like the Bucks, forced to build through the draft, would let a young guy like Parker get away barring an overpay elsewhere. Got to sting a bit letting him walk yet being saddled with paying $20+mil/yr for Tony Snell and Dellavedova. I guess it remains to be seen what Chicago offers. Is it Julius Randle type deal or Zach Lavine type? 

--------------

Chicago Front Office is just a mess. Seems like they're just throwing #### against the wall and hoping something sticks. I read somewhere they paid Wade $39 mil for his 1 season when all was said and done. Unbelievable. :lol:  
It sounds like from reports Mil won't match no matter what. They only have 18M to play with (Bucks) and Woj and others have said they might take the Restricted tag off Parker as well or willing to do it. It's sounds like he doesn't want to go back to Mil and they know it so they aren't matching. 

They just stunk. half their roster was injured. Robinson missed 6 games to start the year before breaking his foot, Sean Elliot was limited to 39 games, Person and Del Negro missed time and they had an aging Nique. Last I checked the Spurs had an actual roster full of competitive players. The Sixers ended up signing a bunch of guys who'd be the last pick on the street ball team. 
And they just so happened to stink the one year Tim Duncan comes out. 5 championships later, I think Pop was okay with tanking. 

A: how do you come to your conclusion based on the content of this article?

3: You seem more than a little obsessed with th Lakers. Why is that?
was lazy and just read the headline  :shrug: . To be honest, it is listening too much still to the talking heads like Steven A. and Cowherd. I just need this Kawhi thing to wrap up and i can free myself from this blackhole vortex i have fallen into

I don't for the life of me understand why you don't devote more of your time to podcasts. I'm pretty much an NBA junkie but haven't seen or heard anything from those two or anything at all really on TV or radio (except games). The quality is far, far superior.
agreed. i get lost in Youtube, next thing i know it is like 2 hours later and i've heard every take there us 

Some reporting that the Bucks rescinded Parker’s QO and he’s signing with the Bulls for 2/40+. 
Disappointing end to Parker's career with the Bucks.  His upside was so high but the injuries and the emergence of Giannis made them an odd on-court fit.  Also, something really seemed to sour between him and the organization...probably just time to start fresh elsewhere.  Parker seemed like a great guy, constantly working off the court for causes and doing things in the community.  Bucks fans wish him nothing but the best and hope he's able to stay healthy and productive somewhere long-term.

His hometown of Chicago makes about as much sense as anywhere, but he's not a great fit at the 3 next to 5/Carter 4/Markkanen & 2/LaVine.  Parker can still put the ball in the hoop, and he's become a decent threat from 3, but there are serious defensive deficiencies and playing off the ball hasn't always gone well.  Those seem to be items of concern the Bulls already need to address with their current young core?  Decent gamble on talent, but I'm skeptical on the fit.

Disappointing end to Parker's career with the Bucks.  His upside was so high but the injuries and the emergence of Giannis made them an odd on-court fit.  Also, something really seemed to sour between him and the organization...probably just time to start fresh elsewhere.  Parker seemed like a great guy, constantly working off the court for causes and doing things in the community.  Bucks fans wish him nothing but the best and hope he's able to stay healthy and productive somewhere long-term.

His hometown of Chicago makes about as much sense as anywhere, but he's not a great fit at the 3 next to 5/Carter 4/Markkanen & 2/LaVine.  Parker can still put the ball in the hoop, and he's become a decent threat from 3, but there are serious defensive deficiencies and playing off the ball hasn't always gone well.  Those seem to be items of concern the Bulls already need to address with their current young core?  Decent gamble on talent, but I'm skeptical on the fit.
Just seems like they're throwing anything together to find something in the way of results. They've tried so much #### at PG over the last few years it's embarrassing. And I'd highly question whether they still even have a PG of the future on the roster. Definitely make/break year for Dunn. And Payne's done absolutely zero since they gave McDermott/Gibson and a 2nd for him. He'd have been gone long ago if not for that massive overpay.

Hopefully Year 2 is team option if it doesn't work out due to injury/play. Just seems like an unnecessary risk for a VERY questionable fit. I just can't imagine Parker trying to guard 3s. Unless they've got something else up their sleeve it looks like they really believe he's a 3. Physically and athletically, to me, he's a 4 or even a 5 in small ball.

I think to get his value back or to get him back to staying healthy going home is the best move. He'll have the support of the fans plus he won't have the weight on the shoulder to carry the team. If Carter is as good as he's shown already defensive they are fairly solid under the basket and Dunn isn't much of a liability. The other 3 are the question mark. At this point Chicago needs guys who can score and Parker can do that. With how weak the East is I could see them at least getting a playoff spot if healthy. 

Hopefully Year 2 is team option if it doesn't work out due to injury/play. 
Woj reporting Year 2 is team option. 

Personally don't mind it as much as result. Keeps space open for next summer and they get a full year to see if Parker's their future at the 3 and Dunn at the point. I don't think there's any shot Parker can be a quality option at the 3 and they're just completely overloaded with bodies up front.

Woj

Free agent forward Jabari Parker has agreed to a two-year, $40M deal with the Chicago Bulls, league sources tell ESPN. Milwaukee rescinded Parker's qualifying offer moments ago, making him unrestricted.

The second-year of Parker deal is a team option, which lowers risk for Bulls because of Parker's two ACL surgeries and gives Bartelstein and Parker a chance to negotiate a long-term deal with Bulls should he stay healthy and productive next season.

man, the more i have seen of the last 2 months of NBA sports media the more i feel 80% of all of it is b.s. And i throw Windhurst in that 80%. Maybe he is all buddy-buddy with Lebron (though all of these guys saying they knew all year LeBron was going to the Lakers certainly weren't saying it until mid-June'ish, if that), but this call that Toronto is the only real chance for Kawhi just stinks of click-bait:    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2786417-brian-windhorst-raptors-in-drivers-seat-for-kawhi-leonard-amid-trade-rumors

I can not see what Toronto can offer that would be better then what the Sixers or Lakers can offer. Derozan is a not a guy they would want to trade for. A few good young guys, but not at the level LA or Philly could offer. And their draft picks are kind of junk. Any team offering San Antonio their own draft picks after they would add Kawhi Leonard is just being silly. I just don't see it, but i didn't see Lebron and Lakers either so...welcome to Toronto Kawhi

ETA: only read first 1/3 of the article when i posted the above. just read the rest of the article, funny click-bait. author basically says it makes no sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread