What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sixers have been doing this strategy for  few years, but they seem to have a plan with it. You get some cheap one year rentals who can give a good locker room presence like Amir Johnson, etc., or you take a chance on some guys and can grow on the cheap. I just don't know why they chose the guys they did, could have got other guys on 1 year deals that would have made a ton more sense. it just makes a ton more sense to do the 1-year deal with a guy like Boogie or a bunch of other options (Tyreke, etc.) who have the chance to be with the team for a few years. I mean out of their free agent signings, who will be on the team next year? i would guess LeBron and KCP cause he is a part of Klutch. SO you let the other guys go, but then who fills their spots? If the Lakers had a plan or thought it out a bit more, you could bring on a Tyreke Evans or Boogie, and pay them a bit more this year as a sign of good faith, and if they can sign another max player next year you get a guy who knows the system from this year and can come cheaper.

and i do love the talk of how they signed the guys they did to bring "toughness" to the team, if it was any other team in the league (outside of Boston and G.S. maybe) the media would have laughed at the org. galore. Instead, you have a bunch of schills who just seem to go along for some unknown reason. Toughness would have been signing a guy like Smart who they could have got for a couple more million, and had to be as a piece on the team going forward. just because the guys are knuckleheads, does not mean they are tough

in all honesty, it seems to me that the plan the whole time was they just want to be talked about. Whether good or bad, the media won't ignore them. So maybe they try the no lose strategy where if they can make the playoffs they can tell the story about how great LeBron is as a teammate and bringing these guys together. they also have the easy out to move on from Walton by setting him up to be the fall guy for them losing or have him choose to quit because the headaches are too much. 
They can sign Cousins or whoever next year. They gain nothing by having him around this year (well, more like half a year). I honestly think they want to give a decent number of minutes to Zubac at the 5 (when they're up against other lane clogging 5s) to see if he can amount to anything like a rotation guy (I don't think he will). Smart wasn't going to sign a one year deal, so he's not a possibility, he'd clog up cap room to sign a bigger fish next year, and I honestly think there's some Stevens inflation going on in terms of performance of the Celtics players. I don't know who these other guys are that were great 1 year signings you're talking about. Tyreke Evans? The fortunes of this franchise aren't going to revolve around Tyreke Evans, or similar players. 

Its evident they're higher on their young guys than maybe everyone else is, and that they want to give them time to improve. Its evident they want maximum cap flexibility next year, so no long term deals to non-superstars this year. Its also evident that they're running an experiment in defense and rapid pace - that's why they signed the vets they did, except Beasley who is a decent get as your 15th guy on the roster for the vet minimum.

Also, yes, they will try to unload Deng at some point - I don't think that's any big revelation. They were trying last year too, but were unwilling to pay out the draft picks and youngsters necessary to make it happen. Hopefully the price is cheaper this year.

Walton's not going anywhere. The team added 9 wins to their record both his 1st and 2nd years, he got his guys to improve their defense both seasons,  they'll add at least 10 wins this year and probably make the playoffs after missing the playoffs for 6 years (barring a significant injury to James and/or multiple other rotation guys). The team isn't going to force him out, and I have yet to see any coach volunteer to quit when they've got LeBron James on the roster. I don't see Walton asking out.

Last edited by a moderator:
@modogg

I’m not quoting all that but the lakers want to keep their Space open for next year.  Even with deng, they have a ton.  They didn’t want cousins because he’s not even going to play until February.  Cousins will go wherever he can get the most money next year and if he looks good, Lakers can just sign him next year.  There could be some fit issues on the floor, but the overall plan is not that outlandish.

They can sign Cousins or whoever next year. They gain nothing by having him around this year (well, more like half a year). I honestly think they want to give a decent number of minutes to Zubac at the 5 (when they're up against other lane clogging 5s) to see if he can amount to anything like a rotation guy (I don't think he will). Smart wasn't going to sign a one year deal, so he's not a possibility, he'd clog up cap room to sign a bigger fish next year, and I honestly think there's some Stevens inflation going on in terms of performance of the Celtics players. I don't know who these other guys are that were great 1 year signings you're talking about. Tyreke Evans? The fortunes of this franchise aren't going to revolve around Tyreke Evans, or similar players. 

Its evident they're higher on their young guys than maybe everyone else is, and that they want to give them time to improve. Its evident they want maximum cap flexibility next year, so no long term deals to non-superstars this year. Its also evident that they're running an experiment in defense and rapid pace - that's why they signed the vets they did, except Beasley who is a decent get as your 15th guy on the roster for the vet minimum.

Also, yes, they will try to unload Deng at some point - I don't think that's any big revelation. They were trying last year too, but were unwilling to pay out the draft picks and youngsters necessary to make it happen. Hopefully the price is cheaper this year.

Walton's not going anywhere. The team added 9 wins to their record both his 1st and 2nd years, he got his guys to improve their defense both seasons,  they'll add at least 10 wins this year and probably make the playoffs after missing the playoffs for 6 years (barring a significant injury to James and/or multiple other rotation guys). The team isn't going to force him out, and I have yet to see any coach volunteer to quit when they've got LeBron James on the roster. I don't see Walton asking out.
i think we agree on most of the above. Would love to see Walton give more minutes to Zubac, but one of the issues with these 1-year contracts is that those guys are going to want minutes to show what they can offer to get another contract next year. I am not sure Walton will be able to tell this mish-mash of players like Beasley and Stephenson to sit on the bench for extended amount of time. You have 4-5 veteran players who i am sure are expecting to get minutes on the floor and Walton will have to balance minutes to make players happy. If minutes go to Zubac, you have to think Wagner warrants some minutes too, and if they are looking to go fast with good D, it could mean McGee is your 3rd C with like 5 minutes or less a game. He may be ok with it, but not sure how Stephenson, Rondo, Beasley, etc. will take if they are barely on the floor and the team is not winning a bunch.

Definitely agree with the Stevens effect though, and it is a testimate to that shill of a coach.

And it will be interesting to Walton, and if the Lakers can get 10 or better wins i think that guy will deserve a lot of credit. I'm not sure how to judge wins for a lot of teams this year, i honestly think a lot of will be influenced by teams that "tank", and there may not be as many this year, especially in the west, as there has been in the past. I also wonder if there will be a LeBron effect, and teams will put more effort in playing the Lakers this year. Not saying teams were taking the Lakers as a night off, but i wouldn't be surprised if it happened a few times.

it will be impressive if the Lakers can put a legit team on the floor with Walton leading the team to play good team basketball. 

The point is if the young guys can't keep McGee, Rondo, or Lance from stealing minutes....they're probably worthless and can be dumped next year to other teams still in love with whatever potential they have left. 

I don't know if i am the only one, but I am already sick of hearing about "Bronny". The kid is what, 13 or 14? Do we really anticipate another 4 or 5 years of having to hear about this kid before he is even in the league? And this love infatuation with wanting to hear more about LeBron is going to be a tough sell to the market outside of LA if he isn't winning a bunch this year. Maybe it will work, and maybe this is just a real dead time in sports so media is reaching for anything to talk about, but this constant attn. of LeBron, now with a friggin talk show, could turn bad for him. Especially with portions of the Lakers fans not embracing him with open arms (which i am pleasantly surprised by) will be an interesting year

I don't know if i am the only one, but I am already sick of hearing about "Bronny". The kid is what, 13 or 14? Do we really anticipate another 4 or 5 years of having to hear about this kid before he is even in the league? And this love infatuation with wanting to hear more about LeBron is going to be a tough sell to the market outside of LA if he isn't winning a bunch this year. Maybe it will work, and maybe this is just a real dead time in sports so media is reaching for anything to talk about, but this constant attn. of LeBron, now with a friggin talk show, could turn bad for him. Especially with portions of the Lakers fans not embracing him with open arms (which i am pleasantly surprised by) will be an interesting year
Man you are so mad at Lebron.

I forget what movie but there was a preview the other day for an animated movie and I happen to see LeBron James name roll across the screen at the end. I gave a chuckle and just said, yea that makes sense.

i think we agree on most of the above. Would love to see Walton give more minutes to Zubac, but one of the issues with these 1-year contracts is that those guys are going to want minutes to show what they can offer to get another contract next year. I am not sure Walton will be able to tell this mish-mash of players like Beasley and Stephenson to sit on the bench for extended amount of time. You have 4-5 veteran players who i am sure are expecting to get minutes on the floor and Walton will have to balance minutes to make players happy. If minutes go to Zubac, you have to think Wagner warrants some minutes too, and if they are looking to go fast with good D, it could mean McGee is your 3rd C with like 5 minutes or less a game. He may be ok with it, but not sure how Stephenson, Rondo, Beasley, etc. will take if they are barely on the floor and the team is not winning a bunch.

Definitely agree with the Stevens effect though, and it is a testimate to that shill of a coach.

And it will be interesting to Walton, and if the Lakers can get 10 or better wins i think that guy will deserve a lot of credit. I'm not sure how to judge wins for a lot of teams this year, i honestly think a lot of will be influenced by teams that "tank", and there may not be as many this year, especially in the west, as there has been in the past. I also wonder if there will be a LeBron effect, and teams will put more effort in playing the Lakers this year. Not saying teams were taking the Lakers as a night off, but i wouldn't be surprised if it happened a few times.

it will be impressive if the Lakers can put a legit team on the floor with Walton leading the team to play good team basketball. 
I think the Lakers will be very good on defense this year. A lineup of Ball/Hart, Caldwell-Pope, Kuzma, James, and Ingram will make life miserable for teams trying to run small ball. Particularly if Kuzma can improve on defense. I'm not as certain about the offense, but I don't see it being that much worse than last year. Regardless of what Walton does, I think James adds 10 wins by himself. He's that much better than the combination of Randle and Lopez. Whether they add more than 10 wins is entirely dependent on whether the youngsters improve.

These vets on 1 year deals have no leverage on the Lakers, the Lakers aren't going to tolerate pouting, grousing or subterfuge from these guys if they don't get enough minutes. I'm pretty sure they know the drill already, I don't think they have any illusions about their status on the team. I think Stephenson and Rondo will get plenty of run, as Ball is still a big question mark, and I imagine the plan is not to play James over 40 minutes a game and he probably won't play all 82 either.  I'm not so sure about McGee and Beasley. Beasley's an afterthought really, he's got to know he's probably in line for maybe 10 or 15 minutes a game at the most (barring injury).

The 5 spot is the most ambiguous part of the team right now. I imagine they're hoping Wagner takes the job by the end of the season and McGee and/or Zubac are strictly matchup plays against old school 5s. That's a lot to expect from a late 1st round rookie 5 who'll need to be able to defend on the perimeter.

He's not a shill, he's currently far and above anyone else in the league besides Popovich in terms of maximizing the strengths and minimizing the weaknesses of the players on his roster. He's brilliant in that area.

Gr00vus said:
He's not a shill, he's currently far and above anyone else in the league besides Popovich in terms of maximizing the strengths and minimizing the weaknesses of the players on his roster. He's brilliant in that area.
ehh, my teak on Stevens has been declared before. I have come to hate the guy more and more, because he is an excellent coach that can get the best out of the players he has. If he coached for another team outside of the Celtics he would be a great coach and enjoyable to watch. 

Gr00vus said:
Nope, that mantle was passed from Pop to Steve Kerr. The way the Dubs whole team operates is a refection on it's coach whose team has won 3 of the last 4 titles.

Nope, that mantle was passed from Pop to Steve Kerr. The way the Dubs whole team operates is a refection on it's coach whose team has won 3 of the last 4 titles.
Will Kerr end up with the most championships in history when he's done?  3 more to tie Bill and Phil.

Will Kerr end up with the most championships in history when he's done?  3 more to tie Bill and Phil.
Somebody new will come around. Heck, it could even be Bronny. Until Stephen Curry came long, it was looking like Lebron James was going to take the title each year. Curry is 30 . Durant is 29. Thompson is 28. Green is 28. In 3 years time, who's to say the talent level, health, and team these guys are playing for?

I do think the team is wising up in general. Golden State didn't become the juggernaut they are exclusively by adding Kevin Durant. The team drafted well and then brought in the right coach. Coaching is extremely underrated in Sports Analysis. That's why I'm excited about Jon Gruden this year. The guy has already won a Super Bowl and got to sit back and watch the entire league the past decade.

I mean, these Cavalier teams with Lebron haven't been spectacular and even they were able to steal a championship. Kyrie Irving was a big part of that equation. It would be really funny if Lebron and Magic ended up being as bad front office people as Michael Jordan. I mean, Michael Jordan owns the Hornets. He's got to be disgusted in himself that he hasn't gotten a ring as an owner yet.

Somebody new will come around. Heck, it could even be Bronny. Until Stephen Curry came long, it was looking like Lebron James was going to take the title each year. Curry is 30 . Durant is 29. Thompson is 28. Green is 28. In 3 years time, who's to say the talent level, health, and team these guys are playing for?

I do think the team is wising up in general. Golden State didn't become the juggernaut they are exclusively by adding Kevin Durant. The team drafted well and then brought in the right coach. Coaching is extremely underrated in Sports Analysis. That's why I'm excited about Jon Gruden this year. The guy has already won a Super Bowl and got to sit back and watch the entire league the past decade.

I mean, these Cavalier teams with Lebron haven't been spectacular and even they were able to steal a championship. Kyrie Irving was a big part of that equation. It would be really funny if Lebron and Magic ended up being as bad front office people as Michael Jordan. I mean, Michael Jordan owns the Hornets. He's got to be disgusted in himself that he hasn't gotten a ring as an owner yet.
No one will pass Kerr before he retires.  I mean when he eventually retires, will he have the most titles?  Would be shocked if someone else got to 12 titles in the next 20 years (or however many years kerr has left)

No one will pass Kerr before he retires.  I mean when he eventually retires, will he have the most titles?  Would be shocked if someone else got to 12 titles in the next 20 years (or however many years kerr has left)
Yeah, Kerr is pretty much the Tom Brady of coaching. He'll keep going until he's the GOAT.

What about this year? You think we see a threepeat? Should I get these "threepeat" shirts into press today or tomorrow?
This conversation is odd.  I don't really know where you're going with this.

He's got 8 titles as a player and coach.  Phil Jackson has 13 (I forgot he had 2 as a player).  Just wondering his chances of getting there.  Will probably be tough actually.

He's got 8 titles as a player and coach.  Phil Jackson has 13 (I forgot he had 2 as a player).  Just wondering his chances of getting there.  Will probably be tough actually.
I'm all over the place. I was inquiring that rather than speculate whether or not Steve Kerr gets more, we postulate whether or not he'll get another one this year. A win this year, would give the Golden State Warriors a threepeat (3 championships in a grow).

Growing up in Chicagoland in the 90s, the Chicago Bulls and the "threepeat" t-shirt was very popular. I was hypothesizing a scenario where I get these shirts printed ahead of time and start racking up profits. But 5 more championships? That's a good question. He's not the kind of coach I can see wanting to slum around with a team he knows can't win the championship. But Curry gives him at least a 5 year window to win a ring. What will Curry have at 36? Geeze, I don't know.

6 years from now, life is going to be crazy.

I meant as a player or coach.  He's already at 8.

But record is 13, not 11 like I originally thought.

You talking combined player and coach?
Yes.

I'd take Stevens over Kerr in terms of the internal elements of being an NBA coach. Kerr definitely works the media/PR better than anyone else in the league right now.

Not even close.  You want an example of Pops greatness just look to last year.  47 wins with that team.  It was coach of the year level stuff.  Switch Pop and Kerr and there’s no way Kerr does what Pop did.  He’s the best coach in the game and it’s not even close.  Likely best of all time but certainly on the Mount Rushmore.  

Not even close.  You want an example of Pops greatness just look to last year.  47 wins with that team.  It was coach of the year level stuff.  Switch Pop and Kerr and there’s no way Kerr does what Pop did.  He’s the best coach in the game and it’s not even close.  Likely best of all time but certainly on the Mount Rushmore.  
Yeah, well if you say so.

Look I respect Kerr and think he’s done a great job but it’s easy to win when you’re dealt a straight flush. 
And to think Pop achieved all that winning through the years with mediocre lineups consisting of 2 dominate low post players in Robinson and Duncan, along with Parker, Leonard, Ginobili, etc.

Jordan is not trying to win a ring. He's cheap and enjoys receiving money from teams who go over the cap.

So now we have clips of LeBron dunking at his son Bronny's AAU game. My God, i would love nothing better then for Embiid to find out where this teenage kid's games are and to go and just block the S out of all these shots:

https://deadspin.com/lebron-joins-sons-aau-layup-line-to-throw-in-some-show-1827958125
What is wrong with you? The best player in the game in the layup line with 13-14 year old kids. He knows all their names and I'm sure the kids are enjoying it. I had a flashback of middle school when I was ballin at power forward.

This is an actual thing that happens?  :lol:
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q19

Tax money:

Up to 50% of the tax money may be given to non-taxpaying teams. Note that there is no requirement that any of the tax money be distributed to teams in this manner.

Any tax money not distributed to teams will be used for "league purposes." In other words, at least 50% of the tax revenue will be used for league purposes each season.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q19

Tax money:

Up to 50% of the tax money may be given to non-taxpaying teams. Note that there is no requirement that any of the tax money be distributed to teams in this manner.

Any tax money not distributed to teams will be used for "league purposes." In other words, at least 50% of the tax revenue will be used for league purposes each season.
So then Michael Jordan can just make a withdraw from Owner's Equity to his personal Bank Account and that's a wrap? He can just pocket money from the other owners? That's awesome.

Russell also has 13, 11 as a player and 2 as a coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread