What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're initially saying Jones fracture. So according to Google, that's 6-8 weeks.
I think it is a fairly variable injury and the healing can be tricky.  That’s what Ben had and certainly most think he was held out for longer than necessary, it seems like the consensus was he was injured until at least January, which was like 5 months.

but we have the serenity to accept the things We cannot change, the courage to change the things we can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Congrats to Sachin Gupta, one of hinkie’s key analysts and advisors, on his new position with the pistons and hopefully he can drag them into the modern era.

Another Philly 1st round pick breaks their foot after summer league/before the preseason?  This time Zaire Smith.  WTH?
gotta be f'n kidding me. Absolutely unbelievable how this has happened year after year. The bad luck is simply unmatched, i mean sure Embiid came in injured, but you are talking about 3 guys who did not have injury concerns all injured pre-season

recap:

In 2013-14, Nerlens Noel missed his entire rookie year due to a torn ACL. The team's 2014-15 first-rounders, Joel Embiid and Dario Saric, didn't play until the 2016-17 season (Embiid missed two years due to a foot injury, while Saric was overseas). In 2015-16, Jahlil Okafor missed 29 games (meniscus injury). In 2016-17, Ben Simmons missed his entire rookie campaign with a Jones fracture, while Furkan Korkmaz spent the year overseas. And last year, Markelle Fultz battled an injured shoulder and shooting yips, appearing in just 14 contests.

This summer, Landry Shamet had his Summer League cut short with a right ankle sprain, and Smith appears set to miss significant time.

Last edited by a moderator:
modogg said:
gotta be f'n kidding me. Absolutely unbelievable how this has happened year after year. The bad luck is simply unmatched, i mean sure Embiid came in injured, but you are talking about 3 guys who did not have injury concerns all injured pre-season

recap:

In 2013-14, Nerlens Noel missed his entire rookie year due to a torn ACL. The team's 2014-15 first-rounders, Joel Embiid and Dario Saric, didn't play until the 2016-17 season (Embiid missed two years due to a foot injury, while Saric was overseas). In 2015-16, Jahlil Okafor missed 29 games (meniscus injury). In 2016-17, Ben Simmons missed his entire rookie campaign with a Jones fracture, while Furkan Korkmaz spent the year overseas. And last year, Markelle Fultz battled an injured shoulder and shooting yips, appearing in just 14 contests.

This summer, Landry Shamet had his Summer League cut short with a right ankle sprain, and Smith appears set to miss significant time.
This is ####### incredible.  Makes no sense how this keeps happening.  Really wish we didn't make that trade.  Bridges woulda been a nice addition this year.

modogg said:

recap:

Come on now.

The first three were drafted by the Sixers because of their status: Noel slipped in the draft to the Sixers because of his torn ACL where they took him because they had no plans on winning his rookie season. Embiid slipped to the Sixers in part because of his injury issues (he was rumored as #1 ahead of Wiggins before the injury concerns, could end up being the luckiest break any team has gotten in the draft in years). Saric was always planning to stay overseas- he signed a three year deal right before the draft- and was taken in part because he could continue to develop and get playing time without messing with the org's short term plans (in the Sixers case, tanking).  Every team does this. Counting any of these as bad breaks when they were intentional strategic decisions, and in one case a product of remarkable good luck, is pretty odd.

Okafor sucks, and in any event missing 29 games is hardly unprecedented.

Korkmaz was always planning to spend a year overseas, and when he came back a year later he still wasn't even good enough to stick with the big league club.

Simmons' injury wasn't a season-ender by any means. Google says 6-8 week recovery period. The team benched him for the full year as part of their continued tanking efforts and to protect their asset. And that, plus a terrible trade, is how they ended up with Markelle Fultz in the first place.

I'm not even gonna bother with losing Landry Shamet's summer league action or a 19 year old non-lottery pick maybe missing the first month of his rookie season.

Anyway, initial schedule announcement today.  There's been a couple Xmas matchups leaked- Lakers vs Warriors and OKC v HOU I think.  My predictions:

Spurs-Raptors

Celtics-Sixers

Lakers-Warriors

Thunder-Rockets

Pelicans-Blazers

Anyway, initial schedule announcement today.  There's been a couple Xmas matchups leaked- Lakers vs Warriors and OKC v HOU I think.  My predictions:

Spurs-Raptors

Celtics-Sixers

Lakers-Warriors

Thunder-Rockets

Pelicans-Blazers
Replace the Blazers with Bucks, Wizards, or T-wolves. 

Spurs-Raptors

Celtics-Sixers

Lakers-Warriors

Thunder-Rockets

Pelicans-Blazers
Everything has been leaked, Take away Spurs-Raptors and replace it with Bucks-Knicks. Take away Pelicans and replace it with Jazz.

Come on now.

The first three were drafted by the Sixers because of their status: Noel slipped in the draft to the Sixers because of his torn ACL where they took him because they had no plans on winning his rookie season. Embiid slipped to the Sixers in part because of his injury issues (he was rumored as #1 ahead of Wiggins before the injury concerns, could end up being the luckiest break any team has gotten in the draft in years). Saric was always planning to stay overseas- he signed a three year deal right before the draft- and was taken in part because he could continue to develop and get playing time without messing with the org's short term plans (in the Sixers case, tanking).  Every team does this. Counting any of these as bad breaks when they were intentional strategic decisions, and in one case a product of remarkable good luck, is pretty odd.

Okafor sucks, and in any event missing 29 games is hardly unprecedented.

Korkmaz was always planning to spend a year overseas, and when he came back a year later he still wasn't even good enough to stick with the big league club.

Simmons' injury wasn't a season-ender by any means. Google says 6-8 week recovery period. The team benched him for the full year as part of their continued tanking efforts and to protect their asset. And that, plus a terrible trade, is how they ended up with Markelle Fultz in the first place.

I'm not even gonna bother with losing Landry Shamet's summer league action or a 19 year old non-lottery pick maybe missing the first month of his rookie season.
Are you really trying to argue that the Sixers haven't had crap luck with 1st round picks? Yeah, we get that plenty of years ago Noel slipped because of his knee injury and Embiid was also on the fence with his foot at that time.

But you really want to plant your flag that is normal that the #1 pick in the draft, 2 years in a row, goes to crap? and lol, you want to argue with Simmon's team doctors? He probably could have played in February or March, you really think they hold him out all year because Google tells you it should only be 6-8 weeks? Embiid was also lost for 2 years because of some setbacks.

But whatevs, I guess every team has the 1st choice in the draft get hurt all the time, every single year. Carry on

Are you really trying to argue that the Sixers haven't had crap luck with 1st round picks? Yeah, we get that plenty of years ago Noel slipped because of his knee injury and Embiid was also on the fence with his foot at that time.

But you really want to plant your flag that is normal that the #1 pick in the draft, 2 years in a row, goes to crap? and lol, you want to argue with Simmon's team doctors? He probably could have played in February or March, you really think they hold him out all year because Google tells you it should only be 6-8 weeks? Embiid was also lost for 2 years because of some setbacks.

But whatevs, I guess every team has the 1st choice in the draft get hurt all the time, every single year. Carry on
First, consider how ridiculous it sounds to complain about bad luck with the #1 overall pick in the draft two years in a row considering that you literally need to win something referred to as a "lottery" get those picks (or in the case of Fultz a pick high enough to package for the #1 overall) in the first place. 

Second, Simmons' injury cost the Sixers absolutely nothing in the bigger picture. Best guess is that it maybe cost them 5 wins in the 2016-17 season? If we give them those five wins all of a sudden they're probably drafting outside the top 5. That's why the team held him out all season- his absence helped them long term.  That they subsequently botched the #1 pick they got thanks to his yearlong absence and a little lottery luck (moved up from fourth to third I think) is not bad luck. It's a product of a terrible front office decision.  If you think terrible front office decisions constitute bad luck I invite you to review the last 35 years decisions made by my favorite team.

Regarding Embiid- yes, I suppose losing him for that second year could be seen as bad luck, although again their subsequent draft picks would have been worse if he'd played so I'm not really sure why it matters. But he was always injury-prone. If he wasn't he'd be on the T-Wolves or Cavs instead of the Sixers.

Hell I'd argue that every single injury suffered by an elite player on a playoff team last year was worse luck than the Sixers collective luck that you complained about.  If we eliminate every single one of the Sixers injuries you complain about, where would the team have been in those seasons and today?  Probably a couple extra meaningless wins in those lost seasons, and probably worse off today for that because it would move them down in the draft.  A healthy Embiid probably means no Simmons.

Compare that to, say, Jimmy Butler's midseason injury knocking the T-Wolves down from the 3 seed to the 8 seed in the West and probably costing the franchise their first playoff series win since 2003-2004 and only their second time advancing past the first round in franchise history. Which fan base caught the worse break thanks to injuries?

First, consider how ridiculous it sounds to complain about bad luck with the #1 overall pick in the draft two years in a row considering that you literally need to win something referred to as a "lottery" get those picks (or in the case of Fultz a pick high enough to package for the #1 overall) in the first place. 

Second, Simmons' injury cost the Sixers absolutely nothing in the bigger picture. Best guess is that it maybe cost them 5 wins in the 2016-17 season? If we give them those five wins all of a sudden they're probably drafting outside the top 5. That's why the team held him out all season- his absence helped them long term.  That they subsequently botched the #1 pick they got thanks to his yearlong absence and a little lottery luck (moved up from fourth to third I think) is not bad luck. It's a product of a terrible front office decision.  If you think terrible front office decisions constitute bad luck I invite you to review the last 35 years decisions made by my favorite team.

Regarding Embiid- yes, I suppose losing him for that second year could be seen as bad luck, although again their subsequent draft picks would have been worse if he'd played so I'm not really sure why it matters. But he was always injury-prone. If he wasn't he'd be on the T-Wolves or Cavs instead of the Sixers.

Hell I'd argue that every single injury suffered by an elite player on a playoff team last year was worse luck than the Sixers collective luck that you complained about.  If we eliminate every single one of the Sixers injuries you complain about, where would the team have been in those seasons and today?  Probably a couple extra meaningless wins in those lost seasons, and probably worse off today for that because it would move them down in the draft.  A healthy Embiid probably means no Simmons.

Compare that to, say, Jimmy Butler's midseason injury knocking the T-Wolves down from the 3 seed to the 8 seed in the West and probably costing the franchise their first playoff series win since 2003-2004 and only their second time advancing past the first round in franchise history. Which fan base caught the worse break thanks to injuries?
ok, I don't really care that much and it is obvious we won't get far discussing this. Sixers org. is "lucky" compared to most other teams, particularly the playoff teams. it's all water under the bridge, hopefully every other 1st round pick stays healthy.

It's not about what came of these injuries.  Did Ben's injury help us get Fultz?  Or Embiids help us get Simmons?  Sure, if you want to look at it that way.  But you could then go back to most big injuries, in most big sports, and simply say "well look, it got them a better player the next year so looks like it wasn't unlucky at all".  You're missing the point.

The point is that it seems pretty ridiculous and uncanny that THIS many 1st round injuries keep happening to the same team.  It's rare.  It's unlucky (at the time). Whatever you want to call it, it's strange and ####ty.

Plenty of red flags on Fultz leading up to the draft, not sure why the Sixers were so high on him especially considering the ill fit with the team. Pretty sure he would have been there for him at #3 which makes the trade even more of a head scratcher.

My vote for luckiest injury of all time was David Robinson in 1996-97 season.  He played 6 games, the Spurs got the #1 pick and the best power forward to ever play the game gets paired with a former league MVP & DPOY.

Plenty of red flags on Fultz leading up to the draft, not sure why the Sixers were so high on him especially considering the ill fit with the team. Pretty sure he would have been there for him at #3 which makes the trade even more of a head scratcher.
Hate when people do this. It's so easy to say in hindsight.  Every analyst, site, etc had him as the unquestioned #1 overall even before the trade. 

Would he have been there at #3?  Maybe, but I'm not sure where you're going with this as the topic was how it's unlucky/unusual that the Sixers' top draft pick in 2014, 2016, 2017, and 2018 all missed most or all of their first season due to injury. 

it wasn't an ill fit.  He was going to provide a secondary ballhandler in the backcourt as a guy who could both play with and without the ball and be a good defender on smaller guards (and some wings), as well as shoot and help the spacing.  The sixers are still missing that guy.

Hate when people do this. It's so easy to say in hindsight.  Every analyst, site, etc had him as the unquestioned #1 overall even before the trade. 

Would he have been there at #3?  Maybe, but I'm not sure where you're going with this as the topic was how it's unlucky/unusual that the Sixers' top draft pick in 2014, 2016, 2017, and 2018 all missed most or all of their first season due to injury. 
I took the topic as ####ting on the Sixers and figured I would pile on. 

Who cares what every analyst and site has Fultz slotted? The only thing that matters is where Boston and LA had Fultz on their board. Boston obviously didn’t have Fultz #1 so it comes down to LA and I think Magic was locked on Ball.

I took the topic as ####ting on the Sixers and figured I would pile on. 

Who cares what every analyst and site has Fultz slotted? The only thing that matters is where Boston and LA had Fultz on their board. Boston obviously didn’t have Fultz #1 so it comes down to LA and I think Magic was locked on Ball.
I mentioned the analysts as a counterpoint to your "there were many red flags with Fultz" as if it was well documented that teams didn't like him or there were potential major issues.  But yes, Boston had a huge thing for Tatum, and the Lakers did for Ball too.  I think it was more a testament to those teams wanting those two players than to there being "many red flags with Fultz".  

As for whether it was a good trade or not, you're right... it probably was not a good trade for the Sixers.  Not sure many sixers fans would disagree with you.  You win some, you lose some, and we lost that one (for now).

My vote for luckiest injury of all time was David Robinson in 1996-97 season.  He played 6 games, the Spurs got the #1 pick and the best power forward to ever play the game gets paired with a former league MVP & DPOY.
Now's there's something outside the box.

It's not about what came of these injuries.  Did Ben's injury help us get Fultz?  Or Embiids help us get Simmons?  Sure, if you want to look at it that way.  But you could then go back to most big injuries, in most big sports, and simply say "well look, it got them a better player the next year so looks like it wasn't unlucky at all".  You're missing the point.

The point is that it seems pretty ridiculous and uncanny that THIS many 1st round injuries keep happening to the same team.  It's rare.  It's unlucky (at the time). Whatever you want to call it, it's strange and ####ty.
Except that I read the point to be not just that it was quirky, but that the Sixers organization had been plagued by amazingly bad luck with injuries.

And in any event they don't really "keep happening."  Most of the examples were guys that were either injured when drafted, were planning to play overseas for a bit when drafted, or were held out for ambiguous reasons that may or may not have been injury-related.  The only rookie that we know for sure suffered an injury that derailed a good bit of his rookie season was Simmons.  The two rookies this year might not even miss a game, not that they'd see the floor much anyway. 

And rookies getting hurt is pretty common.  Just looking at least year's draft four of the top six missed time due to injury.  Fultz missed whatever number of games was due to the injury and not his shooting issue (a scouting breakdown, not an injury issue). Ball missed 30 games. De'Aaron Fox missed nine games but suffered three different injuries (!). And Jonathan Isaacs missed most of the season.  And I know the same has happened with my Wizards' high draft picks in the past. Wall and Beal both missed significant time due to injuries their rookie seasons.  It's not bad luck, it's just the NBA.

Except that I read the point to be not just that it was quirky, but that the Sixers organization had been plagued by amazingly bad luck with injuries.

And in any event they don't really "keep happening."  Most of the examples were guys that were either injured when drafted, were planning to play overseas for a bit when drafted, or were held out for ambiguous reasons that may or may not have been injury-related.  The only rookie that we know for sure suffered an injury that derailed a good bit of his rookie season was Simmons.  The two rookies this year might not even miss a game, not that they'd see the floor much anyway. 

And rookies getting hurt is pretty common.  Just looking at least year's draft four of the top six missed time due to injury.  Fultz missed whatever number of games was due to the injury and not his shooting issue (a scouting breakdown, not an injury issue). Ball missed 30 games. De'Aaron Fox missed nine games but suffered three different injuries (!). And Jonathan Isaacs missed most of the season.  And I know the same has happened with my Wizards' high draft picks in the past. Wall and Beal both missed significant time due to injuries their rookie seasons.  It's not bad luck, it's just the NBA.
Yes it is bad luck.  Name one other organization that has had THIS many injuries to their top draft picks in the last decade.

Your wording is very biased.  Simmons missed "a good bit" of his rookie season?  Ya, I guess ALL 82 GAMES is a 'good bit'.

2018- Injury seems like it will keep him out for at least a month of the regular season, maybe more.
2017- Fultz injury kept him out 68 Games
2016- Simmons injury kept him out entire season
2015- Embiid Injury kept him out 51 games of his rookie season

This isn't even mentioning Embiids first season, Noels season, or the oversees people.  All of which you've mentioned fairly good points on, but I wasn't talking about them. 

This isn't some 'conspiracy theory" or made up thing.  It's pretty unlucky.  Yes, unlucky.

Yes it is bad luck.  Name one other organization that has had THIS many injuries to their top draft picks in the last decade.

Your wording is very biased.  Simmons missed "a good bit" of his rookie season?  Ya, I guess ALL 82 GAMES is a 'good bit'.

2018- Injury seems like it will keep him out for at least a month of the regular season, maybe more.
2017- Fultz injury kept him out 68 Games
2016- Simmons injury kept him out entire season
2015- Embiid Injury kept him out 51 games of his rookie season

This isn't even mentioning Embiids first season, Noels season, or the oversees people.  All of which you've mentioned fairly good points on, but I wasn't talking about them. 

This isn't some 'conspiracy theory" or made up thing.  It's pretty unlucky.  Yes, unlucky.
We have no idea how much of Fultz's,Simmons' and Year 2 Embiid's missed time was due to injury, and how much was due to tanking or a mixture of tanking and being exceptionally cautious (ie we're not trying to win anyway so no reason to send this guy out there even if he could play).  Given the Sixers' tendency to draft other players from 2013 to 2017 with the expectation that they would not play the season after being drafted (Noel, Saric, Embiid and Korkmaz all fit this description) certainly you can understand the skepticism, yes?

You shouldn’t be counting any of Embiid’s missed time since it was hardly unforeseeable that he’d miss time his second year either. Simmons’s injury didn’t really set the franchise back and Smith probably isn’t an impact player yet anyway. Fultz - yeah, that really sucks. 

Everything has been leaked, Take away Spurs-Raptors and replace it with Bucks-Knicks. Take away Pelicans and replace it with Jazz.
lines as well:

Bucks (-4) at Knicks
Rockets (-5) vs. Thunder
Celtics (-4.5) vs. 76ers
Warriors (-10.5) vs. Lakers
Jazz (-5.5) vs. Blazers

You shouldn’t be counting any of Embiid’s missed time since it was hardly unforeseeable that he’d miss time his second year either. Simmons’s injury didn’t really set the franchise back and Smith probably isn’t an impact player yet anyway. Fultz - yeah, that really sucks. 
Again... and not sure why we keep having to rehash this.... hindsight is easy.  I agree there was tons of injury risk... but no, it wasn't some 'given' that he was going to miss all of season 1 and over half of season 2.  If he was out of the league now you'd say "it was obvious he would never play in the league".  It's an easy position to take and argue after the fact.  Don't be that guy.

Simmons injury still sucked at the time.  Again, this isn't about how it turned out.  Every injury in the league could be said to "not set the franchise back as they got a better draft pick next year".  At the time, that's not the case.

We have no idea how much of Fultz's,Simmons' and Year 2 Embiid's missed time was due to injury, and how much was due to tanking or a mixture of tanking and being exceptionally cautious (ie we're not trying to win anyway so no reason to send this guy out there even if he could play).  Given the Sixers' tendency to draft other players from 2013 to 2017 with the expectation that they would not play the season after being drafted (Noel, Saric, Embiid and Korkmaz all fit this description) certainly you can understand the skepticism, yes?
No.  And that's not the point anyways.  The point is, the injuries to the sixers' first rounders in the last 5 years have been more frequent than any other team maybe in nba history. 

Spin it all you want, but in the last 4 years, the Sixers have had 5 lottery picks.   ALL FIVE of them have missed at least 35% of their first season.  And now our 6th top 16 pick in a row may miss significant time.  Yes, I think that is unlucky.

No.  And that's not the point anyways.  The point is, the injuries to the sixers' first rounders in the last 5 years have been more frequent than any other team maybe in nba history. 

Spin it all you want, but in the last 4 years, the Sixers have had 5 lottery picks.   ALL FIVE of them have missed at least 35% of their first season.  And now our 6th top 16 pick in a row may miss significant time.  Yes, I think that is unlucky.
They draft first round players intending for them to miss their first season as a strategy decision. Did it at least four times since 2013 by my count. And the ones they don't draft with that explicit intention they nevertheless were incredibly cautious with, also as a matter of strategy. That's not spin. Saying they were "unlucky" is the spin. It's like one team intentionally putting the other team on the line 20 times as a matter of strategy and then complaining about the free throw disparity.

Really not sure how else to say this.  Maybe musically? Anyway, I think we've exhausted this subject, probably time to agree to disagree.

Again... and not sure why we keep having to rehash this.... hindsight is easy.  I agree there was tons of injury risk... but no, it wasn't some 'given' that he was going to miss all of season 1 and over half of season 2.  If he was out of the league now you'd say "it was obvious he would never play in the league".  It's an easy position to take and argue after the fact.  Don't be that guy.
If Embiid *never* played significant minutes, it wouldn’t have been shocking. He had huge medical red flags. It was a calculated (and worthy) gamble for the Sixers, but the bottom line is that you can’t whine because he missed a ton of time his first couple years. The Sixers knew the deal going in. That was the only reason they were able to get him in the first place. 

Everyone needs to be nice to the Philly fans in here. The 76ers are all they got,  not even anything good to root for in the college ranks. They need some good luck. 

They draft first round players intending for them to miss their first season as a strategy decision. Did it at least four times since 2013 by my count. And the ones they don't draft with that explicit intention they nevertheless were incredibly cautious with, also as a matter of strategy. That's not spin. Saying they were "unlucky" is the spin. It's like one team intentionally putting the other team on the line 20 times as a matter of strategy and then complaining about the free throw disparity.

Really not sure how else to say this.  Maybe musically? Anyway, I think we've exhausted this subject, probably time to agree to disagree.
Yes, which is why I didn't include Noel but you keep including him.  You're creating an argument on him where there never was one.

Of the 6 players I mentioned (All of their top 16 picks in the last 4 seasons):

Embiid:  Did not expect him to miss over half of his second year.
Ben:  Did not expect him to get hurt and miss his entire first year
Okafor:  Did not expect him to be an off the court idiot or need knee surgery and miss a third of his first year.
Fultz:  Did not expect him to get hurt and miss almost all his first year
Zhaire:  Did not expect him to get hurt and miss (X%) of his first year
Saric:  I'll give ya that one. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread