Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

2018-19 NBA Thread: Magic Johnson leaves Lakers in order to pursue other jobs to be completely terrible at

I thought this was Knight's last year but he still has another after this, so I'm not quite as in love with this deal as initially,  But Knight will still help take stress off of Harden and Paul in the regular season and I think could actually help in the playoffs too, which Anderson and Melton won't (at least not this year for Melton).

3 hours ago, modogg said:

hmm, don't get many Phoenix games here on the East coast, but i thought Chriss had some potential. 

He just turned 21 so does still have some theoretical potential. 

His basketball IQ is stupidly embarrassing (not something I think is correctable) and plays now solely on athleticism. Which he showed much less of after coming to camp out of shape last year. It's a free addition for Houston for a couple months. Believe I read they have a couple months into the year to decide whether to pick up his option.

Suns all but gave him away. After watching him the last 2 years, personally don't mind moving on. Wasn't in the plans in present or future. Don't think he'll bring much to Houston. He's not a dirty work type player (bad rebounder), not a good defender and likes to roam around the perimeter but isn't a great perimeter/FT shooter. 

Both him and Dragan Bender probably belong in the G league. Draft status and Suns having nothing to play for the sole reason they haven't.They're really the same player. 2 young guys with no single skill that stands out with low basketball IQs. Wouldn't at all be surprised if Chriss didn't last the year in Houston. He's a developmental player on a team looking to win a title. To me they're both positionless players. They simply roam around the perimeter and timid down low in the rare occasions they venture there.Dragon Bender played in his third summer league this summer. The guy looks just as lost as ever. He's either out the door next or G league bound IMO. He's the 8th or 9th guy in line at F/C

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, mr. furley said:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1035374604808843269

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn

Houston has traded Ryan Anderson and De'Anthony Melton to Phoenix for Marquese Chriss and Brandon Knight, league source tells ESPN.

8:51 PM - 30 Aug 2018

I think this schtick is alreadey taken

• Like 1

On 8/31/2018 at 0:56 AM, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Hope Melton pans out or a very weird deal.

Bad organizations tend to make bad decisions.  Phoenix has to prove they're competent at this point.  On the other side, I wonder what Morey spins this into?  This seems like a deal to set up another transaction down the line.

18 hours ago, Donkey Derp said:

White people shooting 3 pointers :lol:

Joel Embiid is one of the few players posting anything worth reading on Twitter.  The guy is genuinely funny.

17 hours ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Both him and Dragan Bender probably belong in the G league. Draft status and Suns having nothing to play for the sole reason they haven't.They're really the same player. 2 young guys with no single skill that stands out with low basketball IQs. <snip> Dragon Bender played in his third summer league this summer. The guy looks just as lost as ever. He's either out the door next or G league bound IMO. He's the 8th or 9th guy in line at F/C

Not disagreeing with your overall assessments at this point, but I do want to see Bender in Kokoskov's offensive system.  He is still really young and has yet to play in an offense that did anything to maximize his talents.  Maybe nothing changes (and he looks like Henry Ellenson in Summer League) but I'm giving Bender another year.  His stroke looks nice, he has decent vision from the elbows, and he seems to put forth some effort. 

10 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Per Woj:

The Philadelphia 76ers have been granted permission to interview three front office executives – Golden State’s Larry Harris, Houston’s Gersson Rosas and Utah’s Justin Zanik – for the franchise’s vacant general manager’s job.

Justin Zanik would be a nice hire.  He was the GM in waiting in Milwaukee before one of the owners changed their mind after Hammonds left for Orlando. The coverage of Zanik was really positive before he elected to leave for Utah.  They didn't hesitate to bring him aboard once he became available.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, trader jake said:

Bad organizations tend to make bad decisions.  Phoenix has to prove they're competent at this point.  On the other side, I wonder what Morey spins this into?  This seems like a deal to set up another transaction down the line.

Joel Embiid is one of the few players posting anything worth reading on Twitter.  The guy is genuinely funny.

Not disagreeing with your overall assessments at this point, but I do want to see Bender in Kokoskov's offensive system.  He is still really young and has yet to play in an offense that did anything to maximize his talents.  Maybe nothing changes (and he looks like Henry Ellenson in Summer League) but I'm giving Bender another year.  His stroke looks nice, he has decent vision from the elbows, and he seems to put forth some effort. 

Justin Zanik would be a nice hire.  He was the GM in waiting in Milwaukee before one of the owners changed their mind after Hammonds left for Orlando. The coverage of Zanik was really positive before he elected to leave for Utah.  They didn't hesitate to bring him aboard once he became available.

For sure Zanik could be a good choice.  Kind of weird how the Milwaukee thing went down, since he was considered a real up and comer as far as I could tell.  All 3 of those guys are great candidates.

2 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

I don't know where the link went where you can see how many posts each person has in a thread, but you probably have like 1/3 of them...

And half of those posts are how dumb LeBron is for not signing with the 76ers. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2018 at 9:30 PM, Long Ball Larry said:

Per Woj:

The Philadelphia 76ers have been granted permission to interview three front office executives – Golden State’s Larry Harris, Houston’s Gersson Rosas and Utah’s Justin Zanik – for the franchise’s vacant general manager’s job.

Did the league sign off on this?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Tom Thibodeau is beyond parody:

Shams Charania @ShamsCharania

Sources: Free agent Luol Deng will meet with the Minnesota Timberwolves within the next week as sides discuss potential deal.

Tibs needs to finish the job of turning Deng into a complete invalid.

I did not not see this coming.

PS. Tibs is the reason I hope the Lakers either steer completely clear of Butler next year or at least only offer him a 1 or 2 year deal.

Edited by Gr00vus
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 10:37 AM, Gr00vus said:

Tibs needs to finish the job of turning Deng into a complete invalid.

I did not not see this coming.

PS. Tibs is the reason I hope the Lakers either steer completely clear of Butler next year or at least only offer him a 1 or 2 year deal.

Completely agree with this.  If a team signs Butler to a max deal next off-season, I think they'll regret it early into the contract.

• Like 1

having not followed the Luol Deng saga.... why exactly did he get sent in to basketball exile for the last few years?

wasn't he competent before being banished to the netherworld? did he piss someone off?

1 minute ago, mr. furley said:

having not followed the Luol Deng saga.... why exactly did he get sent in to basketball exile for the last few years?

wasn't he competent before being banished to the netherworld? did he piss someone off?

He'd probably be an OK near-the-end-of-the-bench guy at this point, he just isn't being paid like one.

43 minutes ago, Shark Week said:

He'd probably be an OK near-the-end-of-the-bench guy at this point, he just isn't being paid like one.

tough to recover the skills after having not played any basketball for, what, 3 years?

46 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

It isn't Deng it is Thibs. He loses his job with the Bulls and resurfaces with the T-WOLVES. Trades for Butler, signs Rose, Gibson and Deng. Just waiting on Hinrick, Noah, and Dunleavy. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, msudaisy26 said:

It isn't Deng it is Thibs. He loses his job with the Bulls and resurfaces with the T-WOLVES. Trades for Butler, signs Rose, Gibson and Deng. Just waiting on Hinrick, Noah, and Dunleavy. 

Thibs banished Deng to the 15th man on rosters the last 3-4 years?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mr. furley said:

Thibs banished Deng to the 15th man on rosters the last 3-4 years?

I think Luol was pretty much washed up when the Lakers/Jimmy Buss signed him to an idiotic deal. He showed zero in the few minutes he got his first year with the Lakers, and when Jimmy got replaced with Magic and Pelinka that mid-season he got perma-benched as we wasn't any part of their plan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bananafish said:

He's no Deng, but Devin Booker is out ~6 weeks after surgery on his shooting hand. The Suns were already disastrously thin at PG (and he arguably isn't one), but now they'll be starting ?.

Ainge is going to get a haul when they come calling for Rozier.

I wonder if they would play Jackson as a de facto PG, similar to LA and Brandon Ingram last year. They have all these 3s and 4s that need playing time, so that would alleviate some of that log jam and having Jackson handle the ball would also minimize his shooting issues a bit.

Edited by Kev4029