What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sony Michel Player Spotlight (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
No coach is harder to figure out than Bill Belichick when it comes to the running back position. One week's star is the next week's inactive. This offseason was full of surprises, starting with the acquisition of Jeremy Hill. But nothing was as shocking as the Patriots using a 1st round pick on Georgia's Sony Michel. Michel, considered by many the second best prospect on his own college team (paging Nick Chubb), has the dynamism and versatility to fit perfectly into the Patriots swiss-army knife offense. But the rookie must disprove fumbling concerns and contend with a number of veteran ball carriers.

Are you comfortable drafting Michel as an RB2? What round would you pounce on the rookie? Can you foresee a situation where Michel becomes the Patriots main ball-carrier? Do you think he'll get an opportunity to replace Dion Lewis' touches?

I was very surprised when Michel was drafted. I felt he went about a round higher than he should have, and certainly New England being the team to take him was a shock. 

I think the running game in New England will be very fluid, it usually is, but I think it will be more so this season. Michel seems like a Tevin Coleman type to me, and will likely mix big games, with absolute duds. I wouldn't expect him to slide into Lewis' role, as Lewis himself was somewhat fortunate to get that role(Gillislee bombed, Burkhead got hurt) and performed amazingly to keep it.

Michel is a flex play in my eyes. Roughly RB30. For 2018 at least, I think he and Burkhead could be a coin flip.

Pros:  low college mileage and strong measurables, top offense, most talented RB in the backfield

Cons:  fumbling and BB don't mix, BB is impossible to predict

I currently like Michel at his ADP for best balls, but would likely avoid in redrafts due to unpredictability.  He is very intriguing though and I wouldn't be surprised if he finished top 10 in several formats.

Users who are viewing this thread