What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

******Official SCOTUS Thread****** (1 Viewer)

Once they get some coin in their pocket and figure out the world doesn’t operate like their political science professor told them, most eventually step into the light and join the GOP.   
On financial issues, some will no-doubt start leaning more conservatively as they age. But not on the social issues.  There aren't a lot of young hateful racists. 

God bless America
Land that I love
Stand beside her 
And guide her
Through the night with the light from above

From the mountains 
To the prairies
To the oceans 
White with foam
God bless America
My home sweet home

From the mountains 
To the prairies
To the oceans 
White with foam
God bless America
My home sweet home
God bless America
My home sweet home

Why is it a do-over?  Republicans have 51, which is enough now (50-49 edge if you take out McCain).  Democrats can't do much more than complain and watch.
I understand the difference, I’m just trying to look for hope. Is it reasonable to hope there is some obscure legislative trick to be used? Probably not, but that’s what I’m left with. 

That depends on who Trump nominates.  If he goes too far to the right, all it takes are 1-2 moderate GOP members like Susan Collins for it to blow up in Trump's face.

My take is that Trump will nominate someone who isn't that far to the right.  Or that's what he SHOULD do.  But again, he does lack some common sense.
Every GOP senator voted for Gorsuch.  I feel like voting against any Trump nomination kills any Republican's career if they force a push of a vote to the next session and risk a Democratic Senate.  I think Trump could nominate his own personal Harriet Miers (Hope Hicks?) and probably get a confirmation. (ETA: I'll draw the line at Javanka though.)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why you vote.....and once all the dust of the primaries have settled....you vote pragmatically, with a "realist" POV of view in your heart and head....and the absence of hurt in your butt.  

Perot.....Nader.....Harambee/Stein/Johnson..... People really need to learn the lesson of "the lesser of two evils". 

Ted Lieu‏ @tedlieu 4m4 minutes ago

My statement on the retirement of Justice Kennedy.

“The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new Congress.”
The public made their voice known 20 months ago.  Supreme Court seats were part of the deal.  

Obviously my take on this is very different from most of the people posting in this thread, but I can't help but think about how strange this is.  If Hillary Clinton simply remembers that the state of Wisconsin exists, the court would have a liberal 6-3 split and you wouldn't have to stay up at night worrying about RGB or Breyer.  Heck, Ginsburg might retire in that scenario and you would lock up a 6-3 court for the foreseeable future.

Instead, it's 5-4 conservative with the strong potential to become even more conservative going forward.  What a strange timeline.

If there was anything they could do they would have done it for Gorsuch.
Intellectually, I know this. I can still hope for obscure rules that they were too timid to use before, for whatever reason. As I said, a vote in November doesn’t help with this, and no moderate Rs are going to break ranks. I’m not the type to just throw my hands up. I will be looking for anything I can do to help, but with this government, who will listen?  

Obviously my take on this is very different from most of the people posting in this thread, but I can't help but think about how strange this is.  If Hillary Clinton simply remembers that the state of Wisconsin exists, the court would have a liberal 6-3 split and you wouldn't have to stay up at night worrying about RGB or Breyer.  Heck, Ginsburg might retire in that scenario and you would lock up a 6-3 court for the foreseeable future.

Instead, it's 5-4 conservative with the strong potential to become even more conservative going forward.  What a strange timeline.
If Clinton would have won, GOP would have scrambled to get Garland confirmed, because Hillary may have nominated someone farther to the left.

Does Kennedy retire if HRC is POTUS, though?

Isn't there candidates farther to the right than Gorsuch?  I think Gorsuch has voted with the liberals on one case.
Looking for small differences between the right-leaning justices is the wrong approach from my vantage point.  Even If Trump nominated a Kennedy clone that’s 50 years old that’s still a huge setback. 

Or if Comey either keeps quiet about reopening the investigation into Hillary's emails or decides to also reveal that Trump was also under investigation.  Or if Russia wasn't so determined to get Trump into office and he wasn't so willing to accept their help.  Or if every poll hadn't said that Hillary had it in the bag, keeping a lot of voters home figuring she didn't really need the votes....

Tons of reasons that we are where we are. All we can do is hope something happens soon that ends the Trump nightmare.

Ted Lieu‏ @tedlieu 4m4 minutes ago

My statement on the retirement of Justice Kennedy.

“The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new Congress.”
And this is the problem with the BS that the GOP pulled with the seat while Obama was President.  Legitimizing this argument is dangerous and unconstitutional.

And this is the problem with the BS that the GOP pulled with the seat while Obama was President.  Legitimizing this argument is dangerous and unconstitutional.
Exactly. Everyone cheered when McConnell decided he was going to make up his own rules.  Did anyone seriously think that would be forgotten and never paid for? 

Obviously my take on this is very different from most of the people posting in this thread, but I can't help but think about how strange this is.  If Hillary Clinton simply remembers that the state of Wisconsin exists our President and his campaign didn't collude with a foreign adversary in micro targeting the dissemination of propaganda, the court would have a liberal 6-3 split and you wouldn't have to stay up at night worrying about RGB or Breyer.  Heck, Ginsburg might retire in that scenario and you would lock up a 6-3 court for the foreseeable future.

Or if Comey either keeps quiet about reopening the investigation into Hillary's emails or decides to also reveal that Trump was also under investigation.  Or if Russia wasn't so determined to get Trump into office and he wasn't so willing to accept their help.  Or if every poll hadn't said that Hillary had it in the bag, keeping a lot of voters home figuring she didn't really need the votes....

Tons of reasons that we are where we are. All we can do is hope something happens soon that ends the Trump nightmare.
Both the Trump and Hillary campaigns agreed that Comey reopening the investigation into Hillary's emails was the decider in the election.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or that.  It's kind of amazing to think that one decision made by one person is going to result in flipping the Supreme Court for at least the next decade and possibly much longer.

I have a feeling we're going to find out he's ill.  Otherwise, he would have waited until November. 
I think unless he's going to die within the next week.....if he had an interest in waiting, he would have waited.  

Kennedy has just amped up the Fall election.  

I agree.

At the same time, 20 years of the Dem bending over and taking it while the other side engaged in an absolutist approach to end justifies the means (gerrymandering, denying right to vote, doing it all along clear racial and then party lines) makes me think #### it - when will they ####### punch back?

It's a tough place to be.  :kicksrock:  

I agree.

At the same time, 20 years of the Dem bending over and taking it while the other side engaged in an absolutist approach to end justifies the means (gerrymandering, denying right to vote, doing it all along clear racial and then party lines) makes me think #### it - when will they ####### punch back?

It's a tough place to be.  :kicksrock:  
All my life I've been a moderate.  But I agree -- I want to see fighting dirty on the same horrible Grover Nordquest / Mitch McConnell level for the next 20 years.  Anything to stop them. 

The legal citizen vote and electoral college gave President Trump a mandate to put anyone he recommended on the Supreme Court.  
This is a lie.  It's a racist lie at that.

Lies like this are why when you throw out a couple very good, poignant posts, they get lost in the sea of this abject bull####. Stop spreading a lie.  You guys have your court, have the three branches - and still not enough to give you the courage to only tell the damn truth?

Worse yet considering the clearly racist/party driven tactics the Reps have used to disenfranchise legitimate voters - oh, all the while many of whom were involved in "something" to help tip the scales of the last election to begin with.

Anyway, back to the subject, but this is a lie, and need be shown as such. 

I have a feeling we're going to find out he's ill.  Otherwise, he would have waited until November. 
I don't necessarily think so.  Kennedy was appointed by a Republican President, and votes with conservatives justices pretty regularly (just not as often as some others), such as in Heller and the Muslim ban case the other day.

This isn't like a Thurgood Marshall thing, where he was forced to retire due to ill health during HW Bush's administration.

:yes:

Kyle Griffin‏Verified account @kylegriffin1 7m7 minutes ago

**** Durbin:

"With so much at stake for the people of our country, the U.S. Senate must be consistent and consider the President’s nominee once the new Congress is seated in January."

All my life I've been a moderate.  But I agree -- I want to see fighting dirty on the same horrible Grover Nordquest / Mitch McConnell level for the next 20 years.  Anything to stop them. 
Fight like all #### - then nominate Mueller.  

(which for someone like me that's to the right of the Dems, might be a great nominee. For liberals and more party strongholds, it would be a nice piece of irony). 

:yes:

Kyle Griffin‏Verified account @kylegriffin1 7m7 minutes ago

**** Durbin:

"With so much at stake for the people of our country, the U.S. Senate must be consistent and consider the President’s nominee once the new Congress is seated in January."
Not gonna happen. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread