What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

******Official SCOTUS Thread****** (2 Viewers)

To elaborate a bit on a point I was making earlier, it is not an exaggeration to say that Anthony Weiner's decision to sext an underage girl set in motion a series of events that will completely flip the court from reliably liberal to reliably conservative.  The writers are telling a great "butterfly effect" story over the course of the series.

A Redditor, who seems to be in the know, is predicting that Brett Kavanaugh or Paul Clement will be the pick.

He says most likely Kavanaugh because he is just like Gorsuch and only 53. 
Kavanaugh wrote a pretty thorough dissent in a case about a 17 year old undocumented immigrant that sought an abortion while in government custody.   I doubt that anyone is overturning Casey v. Planned Parenthood, but he seems like he'll bend over backward to find a way that the government's "permissible interest in favoring fetal life" doesn't create an "undue burden" on a woman seeking abortion.   

He also dissented to the court's upholding DC's ban on semi-automatic rifles and large capacity magazines, saying it was unconstitutional.   

So right of Scalia.   

fightingillini said:
 I think Gorsuch has voted with the liberals on one case.
It was an immigration case where they said the law was too vague to be enforceable. I think the issue was failing to adequately define what constituted a "violent crime."

This thread and the internet as a whole is a sad indictment on the morality of people today.  A guy is retiring and people are primarily concerned that many women may lose the rights to murder their unborn babies.  
This post is a sad indictment of the poster.  

Being pro life is great and I’m glad it works for you, and being genuinely angry that people get abortions is totally fine. But refusing to acknowledge the validity or even the existence of any value system other than your own is silly and arrogant. It’s the sort of thing that turns people against organized religion and the religious, and I think we both agree that those people suck.

Or to look at it another way- your post is the same thing as someone mocking you or being incredulous if you expressed dismay that a law or decision made it easier to get abortions. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The Daily Beast‏ @thedailybeast 2h2 hours ago

MSNBC host Chris Matthews:

"Hell to pay" if Dems don't block Kennedy replacement

https://www.thedailybeast.com/chris-matthews-hell-to-pay-if-democrats-dont-block-kennedy-replacement/?via=twitter_page
Reading the unbiased reporting of Chris Matthews is one thing...

WATCHING his unbiased reporting is quite another!   :popcorn:

Me thinks that "tingle" going up his leg has turned into a "warm feeling" running down his leg.

Hell to pay?  Isn't he a poster in this forum?

Oh my gosh.  The drama and hyperbole in this thread is simply off the charts.  History is not going to be kind to this period, when hysteria overtook the left.  You guys are simply ridiculous.
Your hysterics on the lefts hysteria is hysterical.  Less hysteria on the hysterics will lead to less posts filled with hysteria 

He’s good at it too.  Remember how he backed down Mexico & made them pay for his wall?  Or when he forced the repeal & replace of the ACA when he had the advantage of his party being control of both houses of Congress?  How about when he was able to force China into capitulating to his trade demands during his “easy to win” trade war?  That Trump sure is a killer; he’s not all talk at all.
Keep on hoping.

You do realize that he's only 1.5 years into his first term...don't you?

He’s good at it too.  Remember how he backed down Mexico & made them pay for his wall?  Or when he forced the repeal & replace of the ACA when he had the advantage of his party being control of both houses of Congress?  How about when he was able to force China into capitulating to his trade demands during his “easy to win” trade war?  That Trump sure is a killer; he’s not all talk at all.
His North Korea denuclearization is working out great, too.

From that liberal rag, the Wall Street Journal

SEOUL—North Korea is upgrading its nuclear research center at a rapid pace, new satellite imagery analysis suggests, despite Pyongyang’s commitment to denuclearization at a summit with the U.S. this month.

The analysis from 38 North, a North Korea-focused website published by the Stimson Center in Washington, found that Pyongyang, in recent weeks, appears to have modified the cooling system of its plutonium-production reactor and erected a new building near the cooling tower. New Construction could also be observed at the site’s experimental light-water reactor, the report said.

The satellite pictures, captured on June 21, nine days after the Singapore summit meeting between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, showed no immediate effort to begin denuclearization at North Korea’s key nuclear research site.

Shortly after shaking hands with Mr. Kim on June 12, Mr. Trump said the North Korean leader would return home to begin dismantling his country’s nuclear program. “In fact, when he lands—which is going to be shortly—I think that he will start that process right away,” Mr. Trump told reporters.

There is ample precedent for confirming Supreme Court nominees during election years.

In 1988, a presidential election year, 51 Senate Democrats confirmed the Reagan-appointed Justice Kennedy, who will step down July 31.

And President Barack Obama nominated Justice Elena Kagan in May 2010. She was confirmed that August, just three months before a midterm election.

Obama's nomination of Merrick Garland to fill the late Justice Antonin Scalia's seat was doomed when all 11 Republican members of the Senate Judiciary Committee told McConnell that they wouldn't hold hearings for any nominee while America had a lame-duck president.

That position was based on the 'Thurmond Rule,' an inconsistently applied principle that dates back to 1968 when Sen. Strom Thurmond scuttled President Lyndon Johnson's appointment of Justice Abe Fortas to be Chief Justice of the United States.

Republicans also cited the 'Biden Rule,' an even more nebulous principle based on a 1992 speech in which then-Sen. Joe Biden declared that President George H.W. Bush shouldn't fill a vacant Supreme Court seat during the summer or fall preceding a presidential election – or at least name a moderate that the Democratic majority would approve.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5894133/Senate-Dems-Republicans-wait-2019-confirm-Trumps-Supreme-Court-pick.html

Keep on hoping.

You do realize that he's only 1.5 years into his first term...don't you?
What am I hoping about?  I was just noting how well he did on all those situations where he had the advantage; you know, the times when you said he was a killer?  I’m not sure what the length he’s been POtuS matters though; I re-read your previous post-you didn’t say anything about him being a killer AFTER his first 1.5 years as POtuS.  You do realize that....don’t you?

What am I hoping about?  I was just noting how well he did on all those situations where he had the advantage; you know, the times when you said he was a killer?  I’m not sure what the length he’s been POtuS matters though; I re-read your previous post-you didn’t say anything about him being a killer AFTER his first 1.5 years as POtuS.  You do realize that....don’t you?
Well, then the left has nothing to worry about.

Not sure what that has to do with your previous post, or my reply. Are you just randomly posting crap without any rhyme, reason, or logical thought?
Trump is weak and has no killer instinct.  He will not push to get a new Justice confirmed...even though there is precedence that says he can do it. 

Sleep well and dream of a blue wave!

plus seeing the baker win his case before SCOTUS in the cake discrimination case as a big victory. There is no reason there will not be further setbacks for LGBT people with Kennedy being replaced. In addition, all racial minorities will probably suffer from future court decisions
Just stop.  The cake case was a punt. Discussed as nauseum here. 

And I don't get the abject hysteria here.  There is no current basis.  If you look at what the court has done this term as a conservative body the decisions made were all week reasoned.  Civil liberties upheld with warrants for cell phones. Yep.  Personal liberty with not being forced to pay private entities (unions).  Yep. 

Not sure what you have to complain about yet.  This court has delivered some powerful personal liberty victories (and will be revisiting the cake car with a florist next term).  We're all more free today thanks to this court.

Just stop.  The cake case was a punt. Discussed as nauseum here. 

And I don't get the abject hysteria here.  There is no current basis.  If you look at what the court has done this term as a conservative body the decisions made were all week reasoned.  Civil liberties upheld with warrants for cell phones. Yep.  Personal liberty with not being forced to pay private entities (unions).  Yep. 

Not sure what you have to complain about yet.  This court has delivered some powerful personal liberty victories (and will be revisiting the cake car with a florist next term).  We're all more free today thanks to this court.
....in which Anthony Kennedy presided as a moderating voice. 

But not everyone agrees with your overall view of this court. 

Based on law and the Constitution, the last two decisions should have each been 9-0.

Based on law, the Constitution, and feelings...they were each 5-4.

But not everyone agrees with your overall view of this court. 
Probably. Lots of people liked that labor be confiscated to go to union causes.  Im sure there are some who think the authorities should have carte blanche to track our every move.  Luckily the court did not.  

Most importantly I believe they got those decisions correct this time around.   These decisions were unabashedly good for civil liberties in this country.

Probably. Lots of people liked that labor be confiscated to go to union causes.  Im sure there are some who think the authorities should have carte blanche to track our every move.  Luckily the court did not.  

Most importantly I believe they got those decisions correct this time around.   These decisions were unabashedly good for civil liberties in this country.
Okay. 

Not sure what that has to do with your previous post, or my reply. Are you just randomly posting crap without any rhyme, reason, or logical thought?
It's a troll party today. The announcement that Kennedy is retiring as a judge has these guys jumping up and down like schoolgirls. Just let them have their fun. They don't get much with this guy in charge. It's one failure after another. So even though he did nothing here, they have to take what they can get.  Let them have their little Trollapalooza.  Then tomorrow they can go right back to hiding as North Korea makes a mockery of Trump and families still can't get their kids because the idiot never had a plan to reunite them.

It's a troll party today. The announcement that Kennedy is retiring as a judge has these guys jumping up and down like schoolgirls. Just let them have their fun. They don't get much with this guy in charge. It's one failure after another. So even though he did nothing here, they have to take what they can get.  Let them have their little Trollapalooza.  Then tomorrow they can go right back to hiding as North Korea makes a mockery of Trump and families still can't get their kids because the idiot never had a plan to reunite them.
Is NOKO on the left's agenda tomorrow or is it ripping kids away from moms like Nazis?  I haven't seen Stormy on the calendar lately and the Russian Collusion thingy has been missing for awhile.  I thought that it was supposed to be diverting attention away from Strzok.

I need to buy a program.

You're posting this in a thread dedicated to liberal hysterics?  :cry:

Literally every single one of you guys are losing your bacon over this.  You, especially.

Take a deep breath and calm down already.

Is NOKO on the left's agenda tomorrow or is it ripping kids away from moms like Nazis?  I haven't seen Stormy on the calendar lately and the Russian Collusion thingy has been missing for awhile.  I thought that it was supposed to be diverting attention away from Strzok.

I need to buy a program.
It's like a buffet of choices every day. We can go with the fact that instead of tearing down nuclear test sites, North Korea is actually building. just out-and-out laughing in Trump's face. But who didn't realize that Kim would own him there?  I'm sure they'll be discussion about the fact that they're still 2000 kids and Trump has absolutely no idea how to reunite them with their parents. Maybe it'll be another lying Cabinet member who cries because she realizes that she's hated in this country. There's so many choices. Why are you worried about tomorrow? You have a rare good day today. Go continue the troll party. This is your time to shine, young man.  

It's like a buffet of choices every day. We can go with the fact that instead of tearing down nuclear test sites, North Korea is actually building. just out-and-out laughing in Trump's face. But who didn't realize that Kim would own him there?  I'm sure they'll be discussion about the fact that they're still 2000 kids and Trump has absolutely no idea how to reunite them with their parents. Maybe it'll be another lying Cabinet member who cries because she realizes that she's hated in this country. There's so many choices. Why are you worried about tomorrow? You have a rare good day today. Go continue the troll party. This is your time to shine, young man.  
Hell yeah it's a buffet!!  

And the left set the table! 

It's too bad they don't offer anything of substance.

Trump is weak and has no killer instinct.  He will not push to get a new Justice confirmed...even though there is precedence that says he can do it. 

Sleep well and dream of a blue wave!
He’s not going to need to push.  The Republicans in the Senate have already rigged the system so that they can push any nominee through, as long as they have 50 seats of that house.  Him nominating a candidate & the Senate pushing him/her through is no indication of Trump being a “killer when he has the advantage,” which is what you posted & what I replied to.  It’s like you want to make up instances of liberal hysteria that you can rage & rail against.  Maybe you should think about why that is.

stay down opie, stay down.
If it makes 'em feel better....I'll do it.  They seem to need something to go their way.

Let's see what tomorrow holds!  Hope springs eternal!! (I should have typed "internal"...that'd made 'em happy)

Per Wiki it is completely acceptable and has been adopted by the majority in this minority community. As noted below, LGBTQ is a popular variant. They are used interchangeably and LGBT is not considered pejorative.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT

LGBT, or GLBT, is an initialism that stands for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender. In use since the 1990s, the term is an adaptation of the initialism LGB, which was used to replace the term gay in reference to the LGBT community beginning in the mid-to-late 1980s.[1] Activists believed that the term gay community did not accurately represent all those to whom it referred.[2]

The initialism has become mainstream as a self-designation; it has been adopted by the majority of sexuality and gender identity-based community centers and media in the United States, as well as some other English-speaking countries.[3][4] The initialism LGBT is intended to emphasize a diversity of sexuality and gender identity-based cultures. It may be used to refer to anyone who is non-heterosexual or non-cisgender, instead of exclusively to people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender.[2][5] To recognize this inclusion, a popular variant adds the letter Q for those who identify as queer or are questioning their sexual identity; LGBTQ has been recorded since 1996.[6][7] Those who add intersex people to LGBT groups or organizing use an extended initialism LGBTI.[8][9] Some people combine the two acronyms and use the term LGBTIQ
Per wiki :lol:  

come on you are citing wiki

Users who are viewing this thread