What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

******Official SCOTUS Thread****** (2 Viewers)

I think Obama nominated garland.   Shouldn't Trump  nominate who he wants?   The senate can do what they do.
Unfortunately he  also nominated the racist Sotomayor.

Hopefully we get someone more centrist as RBG was at the beginning of her term.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately he  also nominated the racist Sotomayor.

Hopefully we get someone more centrist as RBG was at the beginning of her term.
Sotomayor was not racist. Her comments were taken out of context and mischaracterized (which was well documented in threads at that time if you wish to research that).

Sotomayor was not racist. Her comments were taken out of context and mischaracterized (which was well documented in threads at that time if you wish to research that).
How was this taken out of context?

Court Topples Sotomayor Ruling In Firefighter Case The Supreme Court has ruled that white firefighters in New Haven, Conn., were unfairly denied promotions because of their race, reversing a decision that high court nominee Sonia Sotomayor endorsed as an appeals court judge.

How was this taken out of context?

Court Topples Sotomayor Ruling In Firefighter Case The Supreme Court has ruled that white firefighters in New Haven, Conn., were unfairly denied promotions because of their race, reversing a decision that high court nominee Sonia Sotomayor endorsed as an appeals court judge.
The big stink calling her racist was  her comments at some seminar about a "proud Latina" not the above you quoted.

Sorry maybe my post was poorly written but that was my point.

Rush nominee before election -> less motivation to vote Trump 

Making an election prize -> Trump re-election.

Not to mention that it also will motivate voters to keep the Senate majority. I really doubt Mitch tries push someone through. Which means Trump will try to get him to do it.
My belief is that the biggest WIN of a Trump re-election is a SCOTUS nomination.

They have it today.  They’re stupid and insane to make it a “vote” Trump card.  

The only reason many will consider voting for him is to appoint THIS SCOTUS seat.  Not doing so now would be an abject failure. 

People will turn on him if he doesn’t make the appointment when he gas e bird in hand.

I don't have anything in particular to add to this conversation other than this is the worst possible thing that could have happened to the United States at this particular moment.  Obviously I would love to see the court move more to the right, but it's insane that we allow this sort of thing to come down to when a particular justice happens to pass, and it's even worse that this happens with an election right around the corner.  I worry that this is an election-altering event.
Which scenario makes it most likely that Trump is re-elected, in your opinion?

Which scenario makes it most likely that Trump is re-elected, in your opinion?
I honestly don't know.  I'm deeply biased on this so I don't take my own views too seriously.

My Good-Government Fantasy Land: Trump rams trough a conservative nominee.  Trump loses to Biden.  SCOTUS eventually overturns Roe.  

My Hellscape: This seat stays open for a bit and Trump uses it as a campaign issue.  Trump wins.  Four more years of this.  JFC.

If this seat hangs open and Biden fills it, that's probably a win too, but that's not how this is supposed to work,

I don't care about the comment....I care about an actual ruling she made as a judge.
I don't even remember anyone talking about that case. I would want to see the exact details and news about that case before I would agree that would prove she is a racist.

IvanKaramazov said:
I honestly don't know.  I'm deeply biased on this so I don't take my own views too seriously.

My Good-Government Fantasy Land: Trump rams trough a conservative nominee.  Trump loses to Biden.  SCOTUS eventually overturns Roe.  

My Hellscape: This seat stays open for a bit and Trump uses it as a campaign issue.  Trump wins.  Four more years of this.  JFC.

If this seat hangs open and Biden fills it, that's probably a win too, but that's not how this is supposed to work,

I don't see this as any realistic possibility. Win or lose, Trump is filling this seat.

Yankee23Fan said:
There is no line. The President has the duty to nominate and the Senate has a duty to hold hearings and advise and consent or reject. 
It appears that is not true. There was no legal means to force the Senate to do anything.  The GOP paid no price for their political power play. 

The rewards for not voting in 2016 is going to bit the progressive movement for years. 
@KiddLattimer - Mile High just articulated the point I was trying to make previously.  If someone in your position were to have not voted Hillary for the same reasons you say you don’t want to vote for Biden then they may inadvertently have given Trump the opportunity to replace RBG with someone much farther right.  Your #1 goal gets subverted by your own vote.

The rewards for not voting in 2016 is going to bit the progressive movement for years. 
This is the same mistake parties and especially leftist always make.  They win one election and they believe the other side is dead and completely overplay their hand.  And two years later there is a massive shift the other direction.  

@KiddLattimer - Mile High just articulated the point I was trying to make previously.  If someone in your position were to have not voted Hillary for the same reasons you say you don’t want to vote for Biden then they may inadvertently have given Trump the opportunity to replace RBG with someone much farther right.  Your #1 goal gets subverted by your own vote.
It's a fair point... as I said in the other thread I would have been far more torn if I lived in a swing state.

I do think far too much blame falls on the progressive non-voters and third party voters and not enough blame on HRC's campaign making poor decisions on which states were sewn up. 

I definitely get what you're saying though.

Just a housekeeping request, not directed at either political "side"...

Can we keep this thread about SCOTUS cases, arguments, and decisions, and use the nomination thread(s) to talk about nominations, candidates, confirmation votes, etc.?

“I want you to use my words against me. If there’s a Republican president in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say Lindsey Graham said let’s let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination."

“I want you to use my words against me. If there’s a Republican president in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say Lindsey Graham said let’s let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination."
I have the feeling this will another statement of Graham's along the lines of "that was then and this is now".

I have the feeling this will another statement of Graham's along the lines of "that was then and this is now".
He’ll explain it away.

Some People will act shocked and appalled.  And then everyone will say how the GOP all sold their souls.  Then we’ll move on.

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump 54m

@GOP We were put in this position of power and importance to make decisions for the people who so proudly elected us, the most important of which has long been considered to be the selection of United States Supreme Court Justices. We have this obligation, without delay!

While I have the upmost respect for her and her work:

SCOTUS appointments are for life.  They aren’t until you’re happy with being replaced.
Technically, this isn't true.  Justices can retire at any time and certainly have been known to do so at opportune times in terms of strategic replacement.

squistion said:
https://twitter.com/agearan/status/1307102726271176705

Per @NPR

Justice Ginsburg’s deathbed statement is this: “My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new President is installed.”
Somebody in another thread was questioning whether this quote is authentic. I understand that it's relayed via a relative, but if it's supposed to be word for word, I share a bit of skepticism. "Installed" is a slightly odd choice there.

Technically, this isn't true.  Justices can retire at any time and certainly have been known to do so at opportune times in terms of strategic replacement.
You’re correct and I thought that after I made the post.  I fully believe her hope was to resign after Biden won in November.

I guess my bigger point is that you don’t have control or say over the spot after death.

Somebody in another thread was questioning whether this quote is authentic. I understand that it's relayed via a relative, but if it's supposed to be word for word, I share a bit of skepticism. "Installed" is a slightly odd choice there.
She was referring to after Inaugeration day.

I can't prove it but I am certain the quote is authentic. She probably knew she was dying and the statement is one I would have expected from her.

You’re correct and I thought that after I made the post.  I fully believe her hope was to resign after Biden won in November was sworn in in January.

I guess my bigger point is that you don’t have control or say over the spot after death.
One minor correction, but yeah.

squistion said:
https://twitter.com/agearan/status/1307102726271176705

Per @NPR

Justice Ginsburg’s deathbed statement is this: “My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new President is installed.”
"new president" is a pretty odd choice too. Did she seriously want the government to wait 4 more years if Trump wins?

She was referring to after Inaugeration day.

I can't prove it but I am certain the quote is authentic. She probably knew she was dying and the statement is one I would have expected from her.
Of course you are. 😂

This is how it normally works right, she makes the rules once she passes away? Just how it was for everyone before her? Wow, never surprised anymore. 

Yup.  

Of course you are. 😂

This is how it normally works right, she makes the rules once she passes away? Just how it was for everyone before her? Wow, never surprised anymore. 
No, this statement was consistent for the views she articulated during her lifetime.

No, of course not. "New" being newly elected or elected for the next term. I think people are getting too hung over semantics here...
We all know as one of the premier jurists in the country that she would have been precise with her words.  If this is what she said this is what she meant.

The Hill @thehill 2h

Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee are calling on GOP chair Lindsey Graham not to bring a vote on a Supreme Court nominee until next year: "There cannot be one set of rules for a Republican President and one set for a Democratic President"

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/517233-judiciary-dems-urge-graham-to-delay-supreme-court-nominee-until-next-year
Senate Dems don't want Trump to get a SCOTUS judge confirmed?  Color me shocked.

The line is where the US Constitution draws it.  So, from a legal perspective that is exactly where the GOP needs to stop.
I think Mitch really screwed things up by not putting Obama's nominee to a vote.  Trump of course will get his next appointee in, and the SC swings to the Conservative side.  Perfectly within the Constitution.

Then if the Dems win the presidency and the senate, Congress will increase the Supreme Court from 9 to 13.  And the SC swings back to Democrat. Perfectly within the Constitution.

This process will continue for the foreseeable future.  Mitch will go down as the guys that ####ed things up.

Widbill, the comment was insincere because he pretended to not know the precedent set just 4 years ago and because of the plain language of the Constitution.
Why would the Senate, led by the same party as the President, oppose the President’s nomination?  There’s not a precedent here. When has that happened?

Users who are viewing this thread