What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

******Official SCOTUS Thread****** (1 Viewer)

It's also interesting that Trump will get to nominate another SC Justice at a time when the Mueller investigation may trigger a SC review.  Let's say they subpoena POTUS, and he refuses, and it goes to the SC.  Trump will have hand picked at least two of them.  
I will just tell myself that Supreme Court Justices are above that.

Really surprised Kennedy would walk away and put so much of his legacy on social issues at risk.

On most other issues he has been ####### over the little guy for years so that won't change those 5-4s.

So the additional bad news for progressives could be that McConnel holds off on the vote for the justice until after the elections, energizing the republican base to turnout for the election.

This would be a risky move if democrats swept the elections, but it's really the only Republican play right now to benefit them in the coming mid-terms elections.
In the long run, having a majority in the SCOTUS is probably a bigger deal than having a majority in Congress
Probably true.  The party that railed for years and years about judicial activism is now using the courts to promote a conservative agenda.

Hypocrisy is dead.

It's becoming increasingly clear alot of people don't understand how our voting system works or how the SC system works.

In the past, I would totally expect the Republicans to hold off and wait for the election (which I agree with) but Trump is a killer and goes for the throat in situations where he holds an advantage.

It's becoming increasingly clear alot of people don't understand how our voting system works or how the SC system works.
It's becoming increasingly clear that a large segment of our society doesn't understand the American system in general.  It has become a game to be won, opponents to be defeated, at all costs.  Things like elections and SC justice appointments are just ways of keeping score for far too many.

In the past, I would totally expect the Republicans to hold off and wait for the election (which I agree with) but Trump is a killer and goes for the throat in situations where he holds an advantage.
Why would they do this when they only hold a 2 seat advantage in the Senate and McConnell published the blueprint for blocking SC nominees?  That would be completely foolish.

The Daily Beast‏ @thedailybeast 2h2 hours ago

MSNBC host Chris Matthews:

"Hell to pay" if Dems don't block Kennedy replacement

https://www.thedailybeast.com/chris-matthews-hell-to-pay-if-democrats-dont-block-kennedy-replacement/?via=twitter_page
They're not going to be able to block anybody. The nominee could testify at his hearings that he's going to reverse Roe v Wade, Brown v Board of Education, Obergefell v. Hodges, Griswold, declare the 1964 Civil Rights act unconstitutional, and even reinstate  Plessy vs Fergusson as the law of the land and all the GOP Senators will still  vote yes.  

It's becoming increasingly clear that a large segment of our society doesn't understand the American system in general.  It has become a game to be won, opponents to be defeated, at all costs.  Things like elections and SC justice appointments are just ways of keeping score for far too many.
This is spot on.

You could say that he's a guy who sizes up his position in a situation, and then if there's something he wants...he just grabs it.  When you have the power, they just let you do it.

They're not going to be able to block anybody. The nominee could testify at his hearings that he's going to reverse Roe v Wade, Brown v Board of Education, Obergefell v. Hodges, Griswold, declare the 1964 Civil Rights act unconstitutional, and even reinstate  Plessy vs Fergusson as the law of the land and all the GOP Senators will still  vote yes.  
Maybe someone will dig up a picture of him kneeling during the national anthem.

Not to Hipple this thread, but its interesting y'all only bring this quote up when it suits you. When Obama is to appoint a S.Ct. justice, however, suddenly elections don't mean ####.
Well as was said, elections have concequences, had the dems held the senate that would have picked but they didn’t.  So the republicans decided not to. ..as was their right. 

The Republicans are pieces of ####.  Trump threatened to challenge the elections results if he lost, McCain threatened to block SCOTUS nominees until they win, the entirety of Obama's presidency they obstructed anything he tried to do, their entire platform was to repeal and replace ACA (which they have zero ideas on how to improve it), yet they think the Democrats are obstructionist for not funding some stupid ####### wall.

In the long run, having a majority in the SCOTUS is probably a bigger deal than having a majority in Congress
Completely agree.   It's honestly been the #1 consideration for me in my Presidential voting for the past 3 elections....

The Republicans are pieces of ####.  Trump threatened to challenge the elections results if he lost, McCain threatened to block SCOTUS nominees until they win, the entirety of Obama's presidency they obstructed anything he tried to do, their entire platform was to repeal and replace ACA (which they have zero ideas on how to improve it), yet they think the Democrats are obstructionist for not funding some stupid ####### wall.
Woah. Calm down there.

Why would they do this when they only hold a 2 seat advantage in the Senate and McConnell published the blueprint for blocking SC nominees?  That would be completely foolish.
Why would they do this??  Because they're weak.  Republicans have always been weak when it comes to confrontation

Wow...who put a nickel in Dickie?

I do admire how the Dems crossed the aisle to push through tax reform though!

Last edited by a moderator:
squistion said:
:yes:

Kyle Griffin‏Verified account @kylegriffin1 7m7 minutes ago

**** Durbin:

"With so much at stake for the people of our country, the U.S. Senate must be consistent and consider the President’s nominee once the new Congress is seated in January."
I said this with Gorsuch and still think it - I don't think the Democrats should do this. 

It was a childish, petty, country damaging move by the GOP that was cheered on by people who don't seem to give a #### about the health of the country.

Someone has to be the adult in the room. I hope the Democrats oppose the nominee on his qualifications if it is warranted. Otherwise, don't try to pull the same bull#### the haters do.

Having said that, the counterargument is that these moves by the GOP are likely going to significantly hurt gays, women, muslims, immigrants - basically everyone who isn't a white male. So shouldn't the Dems do everything in their power to fight the GOP?  

Wow...who put a nickel in Dickie?

I do admire how the Dems crossed the aisle to push through tax reform though!
I stand by my comment.  Why would my Dem congressmen and women cross the aisle to push through tax reform that will raise their constituents taxes to fund corporate tax cuts?

@Yankee23Fan or any other Constitutional scholar - the Senate is currently 51-49. Does McCain  have to be present to vote? If not, could all Democratic Senators not report and argue there isn't a quorum? Can the Sergeant at Arms drag the Dems to the floor?

I stand by my comment.  Why would my Dem congressmen and women cross the aisle to push through tax reform that will raise their constituents taxes to fund corporate tax cuts?
Why would Republicans cross the aisle to push through a health care bill that is totally unsustainable ?

Well as was said, elections have concequences, had the dems held the senate that would have picked but they didn’t.  So the republicans decided not to. ..as was their right. 
If your only standard for propriety is what the law technically allows, I assume you would be ok with the Dem members of the senate shutting it down by denying a 51 member quorum (McCain would have to return to DC to break it every time because he refused to resign in order to avoid a special election) and flat out refusing to proceed until Garland is nominated?  Or if the democrats, whenever they do regain power, expand the Court to 11 members or maybe even impeach a conservative or two as revenge for the Garland fiasco?  Or maybe even try to impeach a bunch of lower court appointments, grinding the conservative judiciary to a halt? All of these are technically acceptable practices within the Constitution and the laws of the land.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well on the plus side, if Roe v Wade is overturned, the lack of childbirths in America will be less of an issue going forward.   :unsure:

I said this with Gorsuch and still think it - I don't think the Democrats should do this. 

It was a childish, petty, country damaging move by the GOP that was cheered on by people who don't seem to give a #### about the health of the country.

Someone has to be the adult in the room. I hope the Democrats oppose the nominee on his qualifications if it is warranted. Otherwise, don't try to pull the same bull#### the haters do.

Having said that, the counterargument is that these moves by the GOP are likely going to significantly hurt gays, women, muslims, immigrants - basically everyone who isn't a white male. So shouldn't the Dems do everything in their power to fight the GOP?  
I wouldn't worry about it, the Dems have no way to stop it.

I agree with this, but the GOP has gained tactics through childish schoolyard bully tactics and given their recent results I don't see them changing their ways.  The Dems just need to be relentless in calling them on all their bull#### lies and hope to sweep the coming elections.  Not a fan of childish behavior from our elected officials.

Anybody else see that meltdown by Chris Matthews?  :lmao:  I think I could literally see spittle on the camera lense.  MSNBC and CNN are going to have their highest ratings since November 2016 tonight from people checking in to watch this Democrat car crash. 

The rule is you have to own the Executive and the Senate.  Time to recognize that.  

A democrat senate would be insane to pass a Republican nominee.

This thread and the internet as a whole is a sad indictment on the morality of people today.  A guy is retiring and people are primarily concerned that many women may lose the rights to murder their unborn babies.  

This thread and the internet as a whole is a sad indictment on the morality of people today.  A guy is retiring and people are primarily concerned that many women may lose the rights to murder their unborn babies.  
Or put another way, one of the most important positions in the country is being vacated, and that raises significant questions about the future of the rights of our citizens.   

He’s good at it too.  Remember how he backed down Mexico & made them pay for his wall?  Or when he forced the repeal & replace of the ACA when he had the advantage of his party being control of both houses of Congress?  How about when he was able to force China into capitulating to his trade demands during his “easy to win” trade war?  That Trump sure is a killer; he’s not all talk at all.

Users who are viewing this thread