What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fantasy Football as a job (1 Viewer)

Mark Football

Footballguy
Does anyone know of anybody who makes a living playing fantasy football/sports? Is this a viable job? Not running a league website or writing articles or podcasting, but actually playing and winning money.

I would imagine it's more supplemental income for most who play fantasy football rather than as a career, but there's always die hards for anything.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear a couple people do it as a full time job.  

DFS would be the only way. Otherwise, you’d only get 1 “pay check” a year. And even then if you’re just in football you’d only get 5 months paycheques.

just an FYI, most of the DFS winners are hardcore gamblers and also tend to have a background in poker. They might also have a solid bankroll, enough to throw down multiple (dozens) $20 entries every week in the GPPs.

probably not worth it.

For most people cash games is where its at, for both fun and also a little extra money. Nothing to quit your job for.

Start small, try to bankroll a vacation if you’re good at fantasy. Take a week off, and depending on how the season goes maybe you’re flying and staying in a hotel or maybe you’re camping with a can of beans. 

I don’t think anyone here in the fbg community is doing dfs for a living if that’s what you’re asking. 
Not what you meant, but I work in the DFS industry for a living.  So I don't get to play, but it's the next best thing I guess. 

And yeah, there are some guys who play for a living, the same way there are people who play other games for a living.  But there aren't many, and it's not easy obviously (if it was, most of us would do it, right?)

Ignoratio Elenchi said:
Not what you meant, but I work in the DFS industry for a living.  So I don't get to play, but it's the next best thing I guess. 

And yeah, there are some guys who play for a living, the same way there are people who play other games for a living.  But there aren't many, and it's not easy obviously (if it was, most of us would do it, right?)
I’m imagining you as one of the random guys they show on a dfs commercial. Cheesy smile with a stack of cash, thumbs up! 

Mr. Football, I have a league you might be interested in joining. It is $6k, 12 guys, winner takes all. WInner makes a living on fantasy football. Losers, well we cut back on doctors visits, the trip home to see mom, Christmas gifts for the kids, etc. Fun league dude. 

Interesting question.

Someone is winning the millionaire maker contests out there.

I'm thinking that those who are able to play DFS and win enough to not work must be pretty damn good with algorithms and data analytics.

Mr. Football, I have a league you might be interested in joining. It is $6k, 12 guys, winner takes all. WInner makes a living on fantasy football. Losers, well we cut back on doctors visits, the trip home to see mom, Christmas gifts for the kids, etc. Fun league dude. 
Let me sell my kidney and I'll get back to you....

Interesting question.

I'm thinking that those who are able to play DFS and win enough to not work must be pretty damn good with algorithms and data analytics.
Well they have to do something since being kicked out of Vegas....

redraft, auction, best ball?  How many roster spots.  Just curious, not really interested.

Interesting question.

yes, that's what they do.  I can't imagine there is fun involved.  IMO

I don’t think anyone here in the fbg community is doing dfs for a living if that’s what you’re asking. 

Originally autocorrect changed dfs to dogs. Glad I proofread, that looked really weird. 
jwvdcw, aka Assani Fisher, is an FBG and a professional DFS player. I don't think he posts here anymore, but we'll always have onslaughts. 

The only way to do it is to go huge and play in a ton of money leagues at the same time.  If you money in 70% of them, then you might have something.   And even then you are going to have some bad years, you need to start with a bankroll to cover at least 10 years. That should give strong protection from bad beats.  But if you have enough money to not work for 10 years you probably dont need to do this.  

I once saw someone doing something that kinda resembled going pro at fantasy football.  His strat was to buy into the league get very aggressive with trades before the draft. He would offer a 3rd and 5th round pick for someones 1st rounder.   Then hed try to draft two stud RBs.  If he couldnt get the trade then the league was written off.  He made a lot of these trades and won almost every league he did this trade in.  

Does anyone know of anybody who makes a living playing fantasy football/sports? Is this a viable job? Not running a league website or writing articles or podcasting, but actually playing and winning money.
Just win the FBG subscribers contest, take the year off, rinse, repeat.

Depends on where you want to live and what your lifestyle is but you should definitely be able to rent a two bedroom in Mississippi and still be able to afford to dine out at KFC at least 5 nights a week.

Yeah, @Dez has won the rt Sports Fantasy Championship TWICE I believe. Which is just incredible of you ask me. 2018 is MY year though!
I won the NFFC online contest in 2012 (Finished 1st and 4th actually missed 2nd on the final play of the game)

I won the RTS contest in 2014. (With a teammate)

I finished in RTS contest in 2015 should won back to back if AJ Green had just caught 1 pass in the 2nd half/OT.  (With teammate menobrown from this site)

I did well in that 4 year stretch but I only do it as a hobby though it feels like a full time job during fantasy season.  I had 105 teams last year which was way too many for waivers.  I have a regular 40 hour a week job.

I see a few of these high stakes players in so many more leagues then I play in I have to think that they don't have a "real" job or they are their own boss because I see them in 500+ leagues.  I see the same guys in every one of my leagues I heard 1 guy who has drafted 125 FFPC teams already and we just started July.

I see a few of these high stakes players in so many more leagues then I play in I have to think that they don't have a "real" job or they are their own boss because I see them in 500+ leagues.  I see the same guys in every one of my leagues I heard 1 guy who has drafted 125 FFPC teams already and we just started July.
:shock:

I won the NFFC online contest in 2012 (Finished 1st and 4th actually missed 2nd on the final play of the game)

I won the RTS contest in 2014. (With a teammate)

I finished in RTS contest in 2015 should won back to back if AJ Green had just caught 1 pass in the 2nd half/OT.  (With teammate menobrown from this site)

I did well in that 4 year stretch but I only do it as a hobby though it feels like a full time job during fantasy season.  I had 105 teams last year which was way too many for waivers.  I have a regular 40 hour a week job.

Well you’re a legend in my mind! FYI, I’m in DAD with you (Quarrel). 

Users who are viewing this thread