What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why the Cardinals are cursed (1 Viewer)

Yogibear

Footballguy
I doubt if anyone is as much a football historian as I am, but I truly believe that whether they were in Chicago, St. Louis, or in their current home of Phoenix, the Cardinals franchise is cursed.  And here's why: it all goes back to 1925, when the NFL awarded them the championship instead of giving it to the rightful owners, the Pottsville Maroons.  The only way the Cardinals can reverse the curse is to acknowledge that the Pottsville Maroons won the championship in 1925.  I remember watching a special on NFL Network about the Top 10 Football Curses of All-Time, and the "Pottsville Curse" managed to make the list.  So, that means that even though the Cardinals made Super Bowl XLIII and lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers, they still haven't won a championship in their storied history.  A lot of people still recognize the Pottsville Maroons as the champions in 1925.  The Cardinals aren't the only ones who can make things right: the NFL and the Pro Football Hall of Fame can rewrite history and award the 1925 championship to its rightful owners, the Pottsville Maroons.  Does anyone else besides me think the Cardinals franchise is cursed?

I'll bite. What was it about the Cardinals and the Pottsville Maroons that caused such a row as to morph into a curse over justice?  

I'd like to correct myself: the Cardinals did win the NFL Championship back in 1947, but that was their only title because I still believe the 1925 championship belongs to the Pottsville Maroons.

I'll bite. What was it about the Cardinals and the Pottsville Maroons that caused such a row as to morph into a curse over justice?  
If anyone needs to know more about the 1925 NFL Championship controversy, you can go to Wikipedia and type in "1925 NFL Championship Controversy."

Okay. Sounds like the NFL already gave them due process -- twice -- the original Cardinals owner didn't want the championship, and the Cardinals were dirty, too. Got it. 

It's 1925 professional sports for Pete's sake. Dirty stuff happened back then. Professional gamblers could gain players, um, confidences. A whole host of things was different then than now. 

Now, onto curses...

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay. Sounds like the NFL already gave them due process -- twice -- the original Cardinals owner didn't want the championship, and the Cardinals were dirty, too. Got it. 

It's 1925 professional sports for Pete's sake. Dirty stuff happened back then. Professional gamblers could gain players, um, confidences. A whole host of things was different then than now. 

Now, onto curses...
The curse was actually placed on the team by the citizens of Pottsville, Pennsylvania.  That's also on Wikipedia as well if you type in "Sports-Related Curses".

Now, onto curses...
This was also featured by David Fleming when he worked for ESPN under the title "Breaker Boys: The NFL's Greatest Team and the Stolen 1925 Championship."  The book came out more than 10 years ago, and you can get it off Amazon for less than $5.

This was also featured by David Fleming when he worked for ESPN under the title "Breaker Boys: The NFL's Greatest Team and the Stolen 1925 Championship."  The book came out more than 10 years ago, and you can get it off Amazon for less than $5.
Interesting, but a team that went 11-2-1 can't really qualify in any meaningful way, IMHO.  

Yogibear said:
I'd like to correct myself: the Cardinals did win the NFL Championship back in 1947, but that was their only title because I still believe the 1925 championship belongs to the Pottsville Maroons.
Let me see if I have the timeline correct:

• they somehow stole a title in 1925. 
  • Win title again in 1947
  • a curse was put on the team, a minimum of 23 years after the stolen title
  • Haven’t won a title since

Yes, and sometimes it takes 100 years to break a curse. Kurt Warner got us to the dance. That will always be a special memory.

Yogibear said:
The curse was actually placed on the team by the citizens of Pottsville, Pennsylvania.  That's also on Wikipedia as well if you type in "Sports-Related Curses".
Interesting, which curse did the citizens use? Did they meet at town square and throw a curse party? I find it helps to have at least one girl with three boobs, but twin virgins will work if it's an emergency.

rockaction said:
Speaking of curses again.  
If you want more information on how the Cardinals and how they stole the 1925 championship from the Pottsville Maroons, you can go to Wikipedia and type in "1925 Chicago Cardinals-Milwaukee Badgers scandal".

If you want more information on how the Cardinals and how they stole the 1925 championship from the Pottsville Maroons, you can go to Wikipedia and type in "1925 Chicago Cardinals-Milwaukee Badgers scandal".
:lmao:  

Gee Yogi, Happy Independence Day to you, too!   

Users who are viewing this thread