What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Star Wars Universe (1 Viewer)

He's a solid character, so it's understandable why they brought him back.
Desperation for the familiar.

Supposedly JJ worked with Lucas before even starting E9 and had Matt Smith set to be the villain based on a clone wars plot line. He was going to be the Son of Mortis returned to exact revenge on the Skywalker family. This would have also helped explain the ending better than what actually happened out of no where. 

However, insiders said that Iger and Kennedy overruled this because they said they wanted something known that could be marketed to drive interest in Star Wars again after the TLJ failure. Hence they brought back Palpatine.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Dagger_of_Mortis

Desperation for the familiar.

Supposedly JJ worked with Lucas before even starting E9 and had Matt Smith set to be the villain based on a clone wars plot line. He was going to be the Son of Mortis returned to exact revenge on the Skywalker family. This would have also helped explain the ending better than what actually happened out of no where. 

However, insiders said that Iger and Kennedy overruled this because they said they wanted something known that could be marketed to drive interest in Star Wars again after the TLJ failure. Hence they brought back Palpatine.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Dagger_of_Mortis
Imagine the nerve of making a movie that would drive interest. 

Imagine the nerve of making a movie by executive committee instead of letting writers and director create. Guess to each their own.
Sounds like the people who run Lucas films shot down the idea. Isn’t Kennedy in a Feige role (admittedly not as good as him).  The movie was fun, sounds like they were right. 

Why couldn't the Game of Thrones people be in charge of  Star Wars?
They were already signed to do the next trilogy, but then they signed a mega-deal with Netflix and seemed to neglect their Lucasfilm/Star Wars obligation, so they "parted ways". Kennedy had a quote that said something to the effect of "we welcome them back when they have time to focus on Star Wars". 

Anyways you can’t have your blockbuster finale to a nine episode series revolve around whatever the hell the son of Mortis is. They aren’t making movies to only satisfy 1980s teenagers. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have come to the conclusion to just take George Lucas's words to heart.  Star Wars is meant for kids.  Some of the movies can pass for adult entertainment but this is all really glorified Saturday morning cartoons.  As an adult with teenage kids i can let it go. 

Anyways you can’t have your blockbuster finale to a nine episode series revolve around whatever the hell the son of Mortis is. They aren’t making movies to only satisfy 1980s teenagers. 
Yea so bring back Palpatine. We don't care that he died in a huge fiery explosion in the middle of space. It's a movie made for kids. Kids are dumb make up whatever or don't explain it at all. Just make it look cool. 

Glad to see what the standards are now.

I think it's fair to say it would have been weird to introduce a new main villain in the last episode of a 9 episode series.  However I also don't see why, based on where things left off in Episode 8, they needed to introduce a new bad guy anyways.

I don’t mind the Sidious comes back arc since he has been the villain since Ep1.  But then why build up Snoke.  Should have built up Sidious as a mysterious bad guy and have the reveal in episode ix. This is my issue with these movies I think.  They have such an easy path to a pretty awesome story line and they incompetently mess it all up.

I am seeing it Monday. Should I be excited?.... or scared?

FWIW, I rank all the Star Wars movies as being "Good" or better.... except for Attack of the Clones. That was just bad.... really, REALLY bad. 

I am seeing it Monday. Should I be excited?.... or scared?

FWIW, I rank all the Star Wars movies as being "Good" or better.... except for Attack of the Clones. That was just bad.... really, REALLY bad. 
Just like the Rotten Tomatoes audience reviews, it feels like 85+% of the folks in this and the other Ep9 threads liked this movie. Go and enjoy!

My kids asked me to go. So I'm taking them. Not going to deprive them if they actually WANT to go.

Yea so bring back Palpatine. We don't care that he died in a huge fiery explosion in the middle of space. It's a movie made for kids. Kids are dumb make up whatever or don't explain it at all. Just make it look cool. 

Glad to see what the standards are now.
I have to laugh. Because on one hand...you are right....and then on the other hand....IT IS A SPACE SOAP OPERA. 

In daytime soaps characters come back from the dead.....all the time.

Once you get over the fact that this is a serial/soap opera set in space you can start enjoying the newer movies more?

I am 49 years old. Star Wars was a big part my childhood. The movies, the toys....all that stuff. I loved this new movie. Loved it. It is Star Wars. Mindless fun. That is all the original trilogy was too. It was a simple story, with cool locations, alien races, weapons and characters. The new trilogy did a good (not great) job of introducing new characters and telling a cool story. It was not perfect. But neither was the original trilogy. 

This is not Star Trek. It is Star Wars. It is truly for kids first and adults second. I was 7 when Star Wars came out. I don’t get the crazy hate anything past the original trilogy keeps getting. Yeah Episode 1 and 2 were weak....but I can still watch all of them (ok except Episode 2) anytime. 

I remember being a kid and asking how Palps died by being thrown off a balcony.  Seemed weak for a Sith Lord.  Finally it makes sense!

I have to laugh. Because on one hand...you are right....and then on the other hand....IT IS A SPACE SOAP OPERA. 

In daytime soaps characters come back from the dead.....all the time.

Once you get over the fact that this is a serial/soap opera set in space you can start enjoying the newer movies more?

I am 49 years old. Star Wars was a big part my childhood. The movies, the toys....all that stuff. I loved this new movie. Loved it. It is Star Wars. Mindless fun. That is all the original trilogy was too. It was a simple story, with cool locations, alien races, weapons and characters. The new trilogy did a good (not great) job of introducing new characters and telling a cool story. It was not perfect. But neither was the original trilogy. 

This is not Star Trek. It is Star Wars. It is truly for kids first and adults second. I was 7 when Star Wars came out. I don’t get the crazy hate anything past the original trilogy keeps getting. Yeah Episode 1 and 2 were weak....but I can still watch all of them (ok except Episode 2) anytime. 
I disagree with the bolded, which is probably why the direction of this trilogy is disappointing. 

When I think dumb, mindless fun I think stuff like Armageddon or the Fast & Furious movies.  Maybe it's just me filtering it too much through my 10 year old memory, but I never thought of the original trilogy on those terms, especially Empire.   It wasn't The Last Starfighter level popcorn movie.  :shrug:

The  Star Wars cast of the newer movies makes one wonder. With maybe the exception of Adam Driver, they are dull, boring, and uninteresting. They don't have the charisma of Han/Luke/Lea. Hell even Billy Dee Williams was great. WTF happened?

The  Star Wars cast of the newer movies makes one wonder. With maybe the exception of Adam Driver, they are dull, boring, and uninteresting. They don't have the charisma of Han/Luke/Lea. Hell even Billy Dee Williams was great. WTF happened?
Poor writing. Poor directing. 

Finn was supposed to be more. He got sidelined in TLJ as comic relief and never recovered from that. Poe was billed as the new Han but he's basically Wedge with more screen time. The whole new trilogy came down to Rey and Kylo which could have been fine but Rey basically takes no damage through the whole thing. Seriously. The closest she comes to even being hurt is when Snoke picks her up and she screams. That's it. So her character isn't very interesting when we know she's never going to lose and isn't in any real danger. When your main protagonist faces no hardship, there's no real investment for the viewer other than  to watch what way she'll defeat the enemy next. 

For me, the answer for this begins with Disney.  They really don't seem to make any decision that pushes the envelope much - it's pretty much their business model, and that oozes on the screen.  They are going to check the boxes, avoid ruffling feathers, basically put out the same stuff with a slight variation so they can get some new characters out there to market to the kids.  

Finn was supposed to be more. He got sidelined in TLJ as comic relief and never recovered from that. Poe was billed as the new Han but he's basically Wedge with more screen time. The whole new trilogy came down to Rey and Kylo which could have been fine but Rey basically takes no damage through the whole thing. Seriously. The closest she comes to even being hurt is when Snoke picks her up and she screams. That's it. So her character isn't very interesting when we know she's never going to lose and isn't in any real danger. When your main protagonist faces no hardship, there's no real investment for the viewer other than  to watch what way she'll defeat the enemy next. 
Rey needs to lose her hand!

She’s the Captain Marvel of Star Wars and it’s boring as hell. 

You got old and cynical?  I think the new cast is great

She’s the Captain Marvel of Star Wars and it’s boring as hell. 
She literally practically died and was saved by Ben.  

I have no issues with criticism. If you don’t like movies, that’s fine.  But ridiculous criticisms like the above must be called out as ridiculous.

The closest she came to being hurt was at the end of the movie when she almost died.

I find her unbelievably interesting.  Finn/Poe were awesome as well. You seem a bit too grumpy and negatively obsessed about this one. Maybe go watch Cats and start a Cats thread to vent your frustrations.

I disagree with the bolded, which is probably why the direction of this trilogy is disappointing. 

When I think dumb, mindless fun I think stuff like Armageddon or the Fast & Furious movies.  Maybe it's just me filtering it too much through my 10 year old memory, but I never thought of the original trilogy on those terms, especially Empire.   It wasn't The Last Starfighter level popcorn movie.  :shrug:
I am a huge Star Wars fan. In the realm of Sci-Fi I consider Star Wars truly popcorn fun, great lovable characters and simple plots and tech.

Star Trek is on a far higher level when it comes to Sci-Fi. So I guess maybe I used the word mindless a little too loosely, But when I was 7-13 years old I loved Star Wars because it was highly accessible and highly entertaining. Star Trek was not. 

The closest she came to being hurt was at the end of the movie when she almost died.

I find her unbelievably interesting.  Finn/Poe were awesome as well. You seem a bit too grumpy and negatively obsessed about this one. Maybe go watch Cats and start a Cats thread to vent your frustrations.
Now that movie seems destined for the litter box. I have zero interest in seeing it. 

Saw it. Liked it. Guess that makes me part of the general movie-going audience and not really a Star Wars fan. 

Can’t wait for the next twilight. 
Lol!!! No you are a normal Star Wars fan like most of us who grew up with the series. Not a compulsive obsessive geek fest fan that disects Chebacca’s bowel movements to check for potential illness's

Lol!!! No you are a normal Star Wars fan like most of us who grew up with the series. Not a compulsive obsessive geek fest fan that disects Chebacca’s bowel movements to check for potential illness's
People that don’t like Star Wars have a weird obsession with going online and ranting and raving about it.  It’s...so weird.

A few months ago I saw that Ad Astra brad Pitt movie that was literally the worst movie I’d ever seen (and I love space films usually).  I could have spent days critiquing it online, but to what end?  I moved on.

Theres just a weird desire to criticize this franchise and for one that’s so fan, and more importantly, so beloved by kids, I don’t get it.

I tend to think the issue is that it’s a movie that means a lot to us when we are young and some people get older, fine that the new ones don’t mean as much (because they are older and jaded) and they take out that anger on Star Wars.

To quote Kylo from TLJ, It’s time to let the last die. I’m glad the Skywalker series of movies is over and we can move on.

People that don’t like Star Wars have a weird obsession with going online and ranting and raving about it.  It’s...so weird.

A few months ago I saw that Ad Astra brad Pitt movie that was literally the worst movie I’d ever seen (and I love space films usually).  I could have spent days critiquing it online, but to what end?  I moved on.

Theres just a weird desire to criticize this franchise and for one that’s so fan, and more importantly, so beloved by kids, I don’t get it.

I tend to think the issue is that it’s a movie that means a lot to us when we are young and some people get older, fine that the new ones don’t mean as much (because they are older and jaded) and they take out that anger on Star Wars.

To quote Kylo from TLJ, It’s time to let the last die. I’m glad the Skywalker series of movies is over and we can move on.
It could be as simple as people are passionate about and love talking about movies/shows/etc..     Maybe you don't have that same passion, and to be fair - it's not like there is a lot of back and forth discussion about Ad Astra.  There are 3-4 threads on Star Wars on the first page.  Yeah, it would be a little weird if you just kept posting what you didn't like about it if there was no back and forth discussion.  

As far as the bolded, I have not come across one person who fits that description.  Don't like a couple of the movies? Sure.  But feels like most people really like the universe, and are just vocal about parts of the universe.   What I find weird is people's aversion in these threads to critical posts.  

It could be as simple as people are passionate about and love talking about movies/shows/etc..     Maybe you don't have that same passion, and to be fair - it's not like there is a lot of back and forth discussion about Ad Astra.  There are 3-4 threads on Star Wars on the first page.  Yeah, it would be a little weird if you just kept posting what you didn't like about it if there was no back and forth discussion.  

As far as the bolded, I have not come across one person who fits that description.  Don't like a couple of the movies? Sure.  But feels like most people really like the universe, and are just vocal about parts of the universe.   What I find weird is people's aversion in these threads to critical posts.  
I have my own criticism’s of Star Wars. I think what I chuckle about is how serious the films are taken. I get the passion and the love.....but to get so angry about movies. I guess I don’t get that anger. I thought The Last Jedi was a huge let down. And I voiced my displeasure with what I thought was wrong with it. Then I moved on and over time after rewatching the film several more times, still disliked certain things but also came to really like a lot of the other things in the movie. I did not continually harp and harp on the negative. 

I just think is get’s a little out hand sometimes. 

And I love to discuss movies and music. But in this day and age of click bait and so much instant reactions....it can get a bit much.

Critical posts are fine. There is plenty to criticize in the trilogy. But when people start saying or implying nonsense like true Star Wars fans wont like it, it gets ridiculous. 

Critical posts are fine. There is plenty to criticize in the trilogy. But when people start saying or implying nonsense like true Star Wars fans wont like it, it gets ridiculous. 
Well when things like bringing back the main villain that was killed in the end of the original trilogy and completed Anakin's redemption  story are retconned because they screwed up their new villain, I'm not sure how people are just ok with that. That completely nullifies the story from 1-6. Makes it meaningless.

So, it was a good movie. Star Wars stuff happened. The boys loved it. Nothing as awful as turning the badassest badass in the history of the galaxy into an emo teenager occurred. Look forward to watching it again, which is more than I can say for the last one or the first two prequels.

Well when things like bringing back the main villain that was killed in the end of the original trilogy and completed Anakin's redemption  story are retconned because they screwed up their new villain, I'm not sure how people are just ok with that. That completely nullifies the story from 1-6. Makes it meaningless.
I’m ok with all this because first of all Palpatine is awesome and he continued to be awesome in this movie. Also just because he came back, it doesn’t nullify Anakin’s story at all.  He still threw the emperor into the pit and redeemed himself. This doesn’t change any of that. So you see, 1-6 hasn’t really been nullified... from a certain point of view.

I have my own criticism’s of Star Wars. I think what I chuckle about is how serious the films are taken. I get the passion and the love.....but to get so angry about movies. I guess I don’t get that anger. I thought The Last Jedi was a huge let down. And I voiced my displeasure with what I thought was wrong with it. Then I moved on and over time after rewatching the film several more times, still disliked certain things but also came to really like a lot of the other things in the movie. I did not continually harp and harp on the negative. 

I just think is get’s a little out hand sometimes. 

And I love to discuss movies and music. But in this day and age of click bait and so much instant reactions....it can get a bit much.
..and I guess I don't see that anger people are talking about about.  Who is really getting that pissed about Star Wars?

..and I guess I don't see that anger people are talking about about.  Who is really getting that pissed about Star Wars?
I would not say here on this board. But on the internet in general people flipping out about plot decisions and ripping the movie apart scene by scene etc. Just the twitter/reddit/social media outrage that is so common in today’s society. 

Users who are viewing this thread