What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Star Wars Universe (3 Viewers)

Todem said:
I would not say here on this board. But on the internet in general people flipping out about plot decisions and ripping the movie apart scene by scene etc. Just the twitter/reddit/social media outrage that is so common in today’s society. 
Gotcha - I guess I don't see that stuff being a social media hermit.   Don't have Twitter, barely use FB.  Basically these boards are my only "social media" on a regular basis, which I guess I am surprised at some of the comments, but I get it if most of you are dealing with these posts outside of these boards plus a few here.  

She literally practically died and was saved by Ben.  

I have no issues with criticism. If you don’t like movies, that’s fine.  But ridiculous criticisms like the above must be called out as ridiculous.
I love Star Wars.  I liked TFA but TLJ wasn’t a good movie IMO. I thought Rey would be a great character but as the movies have progressed, I haven’t found her to be compelling.  Yes that was some hyperbole comparing her to CM, but I don’t think the criticism that she comes across as overpowered is “ridiculous.”

I hope the final movie is good.  I will see it this week now that the kids are out of school. I am interested in seeing how two people (Rey and Kylo) who aren’t remotely in Palpatine’s class finish him off. 

I love Star Wars.  I liked TFA but TLJ wasn’t a good movie IMO. I thought Rey would be a great character but as the movies have progressed, I haven’t found her to be compelling.  Yes that was some hyperbole comparing her to CM, but I don’t think the criticism that she comes across as overpowered is “ridiculous.”

I hope the final movie is good.  I will see it this week now that the kids are out of school. I am interested in seeing how two people (Rey and Kylo) who aren’t remotely in Palpatine’s class finish him off. 
They just talk it out. Palpatine is more understanding than you’d think. 

Insein said:
Well when things like bringing back the main villain that was killed in the end of the original trilogy and completed Anakin's redemption  story are retconned because they screwed up their new villain, I'm not sure how people are just ok with that. That completely nullifies the story from 1-6. Makes it meaningless.
No it doesn’t.  4-6 were always about Luke, not Anakin. 

1-3 were always meaningless anyway.  3 movies telling a story we already knew.

They just talk it out. Palpatine is more understanding than you’d think. 
His biggest problem is that he's long winded, and loves to hear himself yammer on. I swear I heard something about the Gungans in there at one point.

Last edited by a moderator:
No it doesn’t.  4-6 were always about Luke, not Anakin. 

1-3 were always meaningless anyway.  3 movies telling a story we already knew.
See things like this make me think you're not a Star wars fan. 1-3 are Star wars. 7-9 are just made up as we go. 

See things like this make me think you're not a Star wars fan. 1-3 are Star wars. 7-9 are just made up as we go. 
I don’t get this. 1-3 are piles of garbage when it comes to entertaining movies. The sucked. So I don’t care if they’re "Star Wars" or not. 

I don’t get this. 1-3 are piles of garbage when it comes to entertaining movies. The sucked. So I don’t care if they’re "Star Wars" or not. 
Then there's nothing more to discuss.  Your opinion means nothing to me if that's what you think.

:shrug:

They're world's better than TLJ. TFA is more entertaining but adds less to Star Wars than they do. 
What do the prequels "add" to Star Wars? That an annoying kid can be tricked by a bad guy into becoming the coolest villain ever? Even the sentence I just typed sounds cooler than how it was actually portrayed over 3 movies. And don’t forget all the riveting political and trade dispute drama. So great that all of that was added to the Star Wars story. 

What do the prequels "add" to Star Wars? That an annoying kid can be tricked by a bad guy into becoming the coolest villain ever? Even the sentence I just typed sounds cooler than how it was actually portrayed over 3 movies. And don’t forget all the riveting political and trade dispute drama. So great that all of that was added to the Star Wars story. 
Yes it was great to see how the Sith could manipulate a corrupt political system into gaining absolute power over the Galaxy. It was also great to see more areas of the Galaxy and more people and creatures of the Galaxy. The Galaxy felt like a huge galactic community that interconnected with one another. These were ideas that were only alluded to in the original trilogy and we finally got to see them on screen. These are also ideas that were expanded upon in the EU.  It was great to see coruscant on screen for the first time and the Jedi council on screen for the first time and all the different Jedi that existed before they were killed off. Espionage, political corruption, sith vs Jedi all for control of the galactic community, what's not to love?

I mean if that doesn't interest you at all then I don't know why you even enjoy Star Wars.  Just put any action stuff up on screen with some laser swords and some spaceships and then you're good.

At the risk of another pointless debate what makes them more Star Wars, whatever that is? 7-9 used more puppets and techniques found in the OT. 1-3 were a CGI-fest that look horrid now. 

Yes it was great to see how the Sith could manipulate a corrupt political system into gaining absolute power over the Galaxy. It was also great to see more areas of the Galaxy and more people and creatures of the Galaxy. The Galaxy felt like a huge galactic community that interconnected with one another. These were ideas that were only alluded to in the original trilogy and we finally got to see them on screen. These are also ideas that were expanded upon in the EU.  It was great to see coruscant on screen for the first time and the Jedi council on screen for the first time and all the different Jedi that existed before they were killed off. Espionage, political corruption, sith vs Jedi all for control of the galactic community, what's not to love?

I mean if that doesn't interest you at all then I don't know why you even enjoy Star Wars.  Just put any action stuff up on screen with some laser swords and some spaceships and then you're good.
Wow. Glad you enjoyed them so much and got so much out of them. 
I love Star Wars. It literally got me where I am today. 
but I did not enjoy the prequels at all. Spent many many hours working on them only to be massively disappointed by the results. 

At the risk of another pointless debate what makes them more Star Wars, whatever that is? 7-9 used more puppets and techniques found in the OT. 1-3 were a CGI-fest that look horrid now. 
The story. What does puppets or CGI matter if the story is haphazard #### that gets contradicted in the next episode?

PADME becomes aware that ANAKIN is looking at her.

PADMÉ: ...We used to lie on the sand and let the sun dry us... and try to guess the names of the birds singing.

ANAKIN: I don’t like sand. It’s coarse and rough and irritating, and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything’s soft... and smooth...

Wow. Glad you enjoyed them so much and got so much out of them. 
I love Star Wars. It literally got me where I am today. 
but I did not enjoy the prequels at all. Spent many many hours working on them only to be massively disappointed by the results. 

Well I appreciate your work because the Prequels were awesome to me and many others out there. I just watched 1-2 again the other day. E1 is still awesome. E2 the dialogue and the love scenes are cringe but the rest is great.

Well I appreciate your work because the Prequels were awesome to me and many others out there. I just watched 1-2 again the other day. E1 is still awesome. E2 the dialogue and the love scenes are cringe but the rest is great.
Is that you, George? ;)  

I agree that the underlying story of 1-3 is good.  But the way Lucas wrote it was just godawful.  I just can't get past the dialogue and some of the acting in the first 2.  

Ep1 brought us the dual between Maul and Qui Gon and then Maul and Obi Wan. That was epic. 

Ep2 gave us dozens and dozens of Jedi in one battle. My kids think that is the coolest scene of any Star Wars movie. And considering the audience, I think they nailed it. People complaining about it not being good are like people complaining that SNL is not funny any more. No, it's funny. Just not to you. It is written for a younger crowd and it is killing it with them. Same with pretty much all these Star Wars movies. 

Ep3 was a pretty good movie save for the High Ground deal. That scene would've been better had Obi Wan just said, "Stop Anakin. You've been beaten. Give up. It's over. I don't want to have to kill you." But alas... I liked the rest. 

They all have their strengths, even the weakest of them.  Just because your inner 4-18 year old self that saw the original trilogy at a much younger age doesn't like the annoying gungan doesn't mean the movie sucks. I'm sure my parents thought that Luke kid was a whiny little ##### always wanting to screw around with his friends at Toschi station. But we didn't hear about it because they didn't have anonymous user names to hide behind or the contrived freedom to be an ####### on social media about it. 

The story. What does puppets or CGI matter if the story is haphazard #### that gets contradicted in the next episode?
The dialogue and acting is too bad to get around. Too much politics/trade stuff. There are good moments in all of them but not worth re-watching. 

The way star wars looks is very important imo. 

Oh dear. Now I don't know WHAT to think.

Yeah I like all of them.....even Episode 2 (save for the love story which was so wooden it was laugh inducing). I can watch all of these movies in order with no problem. 

All have great strengths and some weakness's (except for Empire Strikes Back which is Star Wars perfection). 

I don't get the hate on the prequels. I loved seeing the EU for the first time and the Jedi Order and the political intrigue and how the Emperor destroyed the Republic. 

The complete fail of the love story in 2 is a bigger deal than people think.  A good and believable love story would have made Anakin's turn so much more emotional and meaningful.  Instead, we got a completely wooden Padme thanks to Lucas' horrible dialog, Hayden's horrible acting on top of Lucas' terrible dialogue, and the infamous "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" scene which was made fun of to death by memes on the internet.  It was a huge swing and a miss. 

The relationship between Anakin and Obi Wan ended up being the tragic one thanks only to Ewan MacGregor's terrific acting in the third movie.  It gave us a glimpse of what the prequels could have been if they had been written by someone competent.  

The complete fail of the love story in 2 is a bigger deal than people think.  A good and believable love story would have made Anakin's turn so much more emotional and meaningful.  Instead, we got a completely wooden Padme thanks to Lucas' horrible dialog, Hayden's horrible acting on top of Lucas' terrible dialogue, and the infamous "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" scene which was made fun of to death by memes on the internet.  It was a huge swing and a miss. 

The relationship between Anakin and Obi Wan ended up being the tragic one thanks only to Ewan MacGregor's terrific acting in the third movie.  It gave us a glimpse of what the prequels could have been if they had been written by someone competent.  
Agree to a certain extent. The writing was weak (but it was on the original trilogy as well but saved by some great acting). What I really love about the prequel's was the expanded universe and the different races and worlds full of life. It was pretty awesome. Yeah too much CGI, but that was the times it was made in. 

if you'd told me Mark Hamill would have a combined 20 minutes in 7, 8, and 9 I would've told you it was going to blow.

Prequels > Sequels

if you'd told me Mark Hamill would have a combined 20 minutes in 7, 8, and 9 I would've told you it was going to blow.

Prequels > Sequels
The prequels has terrible acting, horrific cgi, a script that seems written by a 14-year old, and two movies that most think are by far the two worst SW films of them all (PM/AOTC)

People that think the sequels blow...are old and cynical.  And you’re reasoning is proof why.  Because a guy you wanted to be in it more wasn’t, you’re ranking them...below the prequels? Cmon man.

Wrong thread
Years ago I tried to get "Wrong Thread Guy" alias but it never got it approved. Used properly right here it could have been awesome. 

I did see the newest Star Wars on Thursday night. I laughed, I got angry, it got dusty in the theater at the end. If a movie can tug at the 'ol emotion strings then I think they did a good job. 

The prequels has terrible acting, horrific cgi, a script that seems written by a 14-year old, and two movies that most think are by far the two worst SW films of them all (PM/AOTC)

People that think the sequels blow...are old and cynical.  And you’re reasoning is proof why.  Because a guy you wanted to be in it more wasn’t, you’re ranking them...below the prequels? Cmon man.
There's more reasons, do you want those also?

The cgi was good for the time and yes some of the dialog is truly horrible.

The sequels were beautifully done and had better dialog but the story was stupid the entire way through

Agree with this. I also think it was set up horribly by having Anakin so young in TPM along side an already adult Natalie Portman. iirc from other media Padme is only supposed to be a couple years older than Anakin, but the age gap feels much bigger and Padme comes off as a completely paternal figure in the movie. It makes the love story feel creepy right out of the gate in Ep. 2. 

In a perfect world I think Anakin should have started much older. When Obi Wan describes meeting him to Luke in A New Hope it sounds like he's describing a well established military pilot. Lucas stretched reallllly hard to make TPM fit in Obi Wan's parameters. I get Lucas wanted to make a kids movie, so the next best thing would have been to cast a younger actress to play Padme and then bring in Portman to play her later. 

There's more reasons, do you want those also?

The cgi was good for the time and yes some of the dialog is truly horrible.

The sequels were beautifully done and had better dialog but the story was stupid the entire way through
I disagree completely, as do most fans, but that's your right...obviously.

Agree with this. I also think it was set up horribly by having Anakin so young in TPM along side an already adult Natalie Portman. iirc from other media Padme is only supposed to be a couple years older than Anakin, but the age gap feels much bigger and Padme comes off as a completely paternal figure in the movie. It makes the love story feel creepy right out of the gate in Ep. 2. 

In a perfect world I think Anakin should have started much older. When Obi Wan describes meeting him to Luke in A New Hope it sounds like he's describing a well established military pilot. Lucas stretched reallllly hard to make TPM fit in Obi Wan's parameters. I get Lucas wanted to make a kids movie, so the next best thing would have been to cast a younger actress to play Padme and then bring in Portman to play her later. 
First, I have liked all of the movies on different levels and they each had flaws.  What I didn't like was some of the things shoehorned in that opened continuity errors with the originals that really didn't need to be there.

Obi Wan describing when he met Anakin as you stated.  Although the pod race and destruction of the ship in PM could make this true, from a certain point of view....

Then there was Leia remembering her mother when Luke asks about her in Return.  Ruins a nice moment between the 2 to go back and have their mother die in childberth.  How can she remember her?

Vader not recognizing C3PO in cloud city

Ben Kenobi not remembering owning droids or recognizing them on Tatooine?  He spent most of the prequels with R2!!!

Small gripes sure.  But unnecessary ones.

And I enjoyed Rise of Skywalker, ready to see it again, despite its flaws.

Lucas spent  years worrying about making cool critters, dancing cgi aliens, and neat special effects.  The story and the acting suffered.  

I'm a long lover of the prequels.  They were fun movies but they are what they are.  I don't think HC or Portman are bad actors, I think they were directly poorly.  There are times where their acting is fine.  I've always gotten the impression that Lucas did like 3-4 takes and once they read the lines, he was good.  His bigger concern was getting the scenes done and making them work from a technical perspective.

Ironically I was listening to a podcast from the makers of The Office the other day.  The actress that plays Pam was talking about this one scene she did in season 1 and how they did 50 takes to nail it because they wanted it to be just right.  That's the kind of focus Lucas obviously didn't have.  

Lucas did a ton of "retconning" right from the start.  He originally had envisioned Anakin and Vader as two people.  When he made ESB he combined them.  That created some obvious inconsistencies that he ironed out with the Luke/Obi-Wan conversation in ROTJ.  

Supposedly Lucas envisioned Luke as having a different force sensitive sister, but he got sick of making SW movies and knew he didn't want to make more so he just made Leia into Luke's sister.  Despite the fact that they'd kissed...

Then, despite the fact that 4-6 were clearly stories about Luke, he retconned the whole thing in 1-3 and made Anakin "the chosen one".  Yeah Vader did throw the Emperor off the balcony and redeem himself, but the chosen one?  He also publicly said that really the whole thing was about Anakin...a line I never agreed with.  (4-6 were 100% about Luke and until the very, very end, Vader was the evil bad guy).

Lucas even went so far as to make Anakin the creator of C3PO, a completely unnecessary and silly addition that required him to ensure he had the droids memories wiped and putting them in the prequels REALLY made no sense because Obi-Wan clearly had no memory of knowing C3PO and R2D2 in ANH.

The idea that the first 6 were a coherent storyline that Lucas made, and that the sequels are a convoluted Disney mess is absurd.  Lucas was all over the place both in the movies and in the expanded universe. 

Disney made a big screw-up giving Rian Johnson control of the narrative of 8 - but overall they've completed fixed the timeline and they finished the 9 movies with an absolute bang.  

First, I have liked all of the movies on different levels and they each had flaws.  What I didn't like was some of the things shoehorned in that opened continuity errors with the originals that really didn't need to be there.

Obi Wan describing when he met Anakin as you stated.  Although the pod race and destruction of the ship in PM could make this true, from a certain point of view....

Then there was Leia remembering her mother when Luke asks about her in Return.  Ruins a nice moment between the 2 to go back and have their mother die in childberth.  How can she remember her?

Ben Kenobi not remembering owning droids or recognizing them on Tatooine?  He spent most of the prequels with R2!!!

I'm in the same boat. Aside from Empire, which is pretty close to a perfect film I think they all have some good and bad. 

Lucas did a ton of "retconning" right from the start.  He originally had envisioned Anakin and Vader as two people.  When he made ESB he combined them.  That created some obvious inconsistencies that he ironed out with the Luke/Obi-Wan conversation in ROTJ.  

Supposedly Lucas envisioned Luke as having a different force sensitive sister, but he got sick of making SW movies and knew he didn't want to make more so he just made Leia into Luke's sister.  Despite the fact that they'd kissed...

Then, despite the fact that 4-6 were clearly stories about Luke, he retconned the whole thing in 1-3 and made Anakin "the chosen one".  Yeah Vader did throw the Emperor off the balcony and redeem himself, but the chosen one?  He also publicly said that really the whole thing was about Anakin...a line I never agreed with.  (4-6 were 100% about Luke and until the very, very end, Vader was the evil bad guy).

Lucas even went so far as to make Anakin the creator of C3PO, a completely unnecessary and silly addition that required him to ensure he had the droids memories wiped and putting them in the prequels REALLY made no sense because Obi-Wan clearly had no memory of knowing C3PO and R2D2 in ANH.

The idea that the first 6 were a coherent storyline that Lucas made, and that the sequels are a convoluted Disney mess is absurd.  Lucas was all over the place both in the movies and in the expanded universe. 

Disney made a big screw-up giving Rian Johnson control of the narrative of 8 - but overall they've completed fixed the timeline and they finished the 9 movies with an absolute bang.  
Fantastic  post. 

Question: how are 1-3 "Star Wars," when anyone who knows anything about the series knows how it's going to end. Oh, it's a trilogy about Anakin Skywalker? Everyone knows how that's going to turn out, and they weren't that good of movies anyway. My wife and I were watching the series before we went and saw Ep9, I could have skipped everything with Jar Jar, Ep2 entirely, and about the first half of Ep3. Colossal waste of time.

Just finished 2nd viewing.  I enjoyed it so much more the second time.  ONce I knew the story and accepted that this is what the story is...wow.  So powerful.  Great acting, great cinematography and a perfect end to the series.  Easily the best SW movie of them all.  No idea what the critics are thinking, but who cares.  Interestingly a teenage kid behind us as we were walking out was asking his dad why the critics didn't like it.  He was telling his dad it was a perfect 10/10.  Which pretty much sums up how most young people feel about this one.  Absolutely perfect.

You have to take your hat off to the actors that played Poe/Finn/Rey/Kylo.  Here are four actors that take over a beloved storyline and are tasked with closing it out.  They could have absolutely destroyed the franchise (and some old fogies probably think they did).  Yet they turned themselves into SW legends and are absolutely beloved by fans.  Disney created 4 amazing characters (really far more than that) and did it in a way that blended seamlessly into the overall narrative.

The shock of seeing Palpatine from minute 1 of the movie kind of struck me as a bit off-putting the first time around.  But the second time, it was just great.  And it really fits into Palpatine as a whole.  He basically alluded to the force and it's ability to "cheat death" as far back as episode 3.  So him cheating death really was no surprise.  It also makes 7 and 8 a bit more powerful.  My main gripe with those two movies were that Snoke just didn't do it for me as a bad guy.  Knowing he's back there pulling strings makes things much different.

Incredible movie, my favorite SW of them all. 

Question: how are 1-3 "Star Wars," when anyone who knows anything about the series knows how it's going to end. Oh, it's a trilogy about Anakin Skywalker? Everyone knows how that's going to turn out, and they weren't that good of movies anyway. My wife and I were watching the series before we went and saw Ep9, I could have skipped everything with Jar Jar, Ep2 entirely, and about the first half of Ep3. Colossal waste of time.
Yeah I didn't get that critique.  I'm totally fine with someone saying that the prequels are their favorites.  Also totally fine with someone not liking 7-9.  But making absurd and over-the-top statements like "1-6 WERE Star Wars and 7-9 aren't" is just silly.  

Yeah I didn't get that critique.  I'm totally fine with someone saying that the prequels are their favorites.  Also totally fine with someone not liking 7-9.  But making absurd and over-the-top statements like "1-6 WERE Star Wars and 7-9 aren't" is just silly.  
I agree. If someone likes the prequels, that's fine, I find them boring because I knew how the story was going to end, so there's little chance for surprise. But to outright dismiss an entire trilogy because of reasons seems foolhardy to me( for the record, I only saw 8-9 out of the new trilogy, but 7 was spoiled for me by the internet, so no huge deal there. May have to go back and see how these characters get established, though). Honestly, 8 wasn't that bad of a movie to me, it was at least better than 1-2.

I agree. If someone likes the prequels, that's fine, I find them boring because I knew how the story was going to end, so there's little chance for surprise. But to outright dismiss an entire trilogy because of reasons seems foolhardy to me( for the record, I only saw 8-9 out of the new trilogy, but 7 was spoiled for me by the internet, so no huge deal there. May have to go back and see how these characters get established, though). Honestly, 8 wasn't that bad of a movie to me, it was at least better than 1-2.
Movies always suffer a bit when you know what's going to happen.  It's why remakes usually feel a bit flat.  Even if you like them, knowing what's going to happen takes the fun out of it.  We always knew the basic story of 1-3 and aside from the fate of a couple of ancillary characters, we knew where all these guys were going to be 30 years later.

Movies always suffer a bit when you know what's going to happen.  It's why remakes usually feel a bit flat.  Even if you like them, knowing what's going to happen takes the fun out of it.  We always knew the basic story of 1-3 and aside from the fate of a couple of ancillary characters, we knew where all these guys were going to be 30 years later.
Weirdly enough, I loved all the LOTR films, even though I knew what would happen in them. It was interesting seeing how they brought it to life, I guess.

God yes. All the political and trade stuff put my little boys, who should be in the target market, to sleep. Never got them to watch 2 after the slog that was 1.

God yes. All the political and trade stuff put my little boys, who should be in the target market, to sleep. Never got them to watch 2 after the slog that was 1.
Earlier someone said something about Luke only having 30 minutes of screen time in the sequels.  While I suppose more time for an aging overweight guy was an option, I always thought the biggest miss in the entire history of SW is having 3 movies and 7 hours of screen time showing the fall of Anakin Skywalker to Vader, and only devoting 15 seconds to Vader in the mask. 

Users who are viewing this thread