What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Star Wars Universe (3 Viewers)

It's what Star Wars has become. But it didn't have to get here. They could have made something enjoyable for the hardcore fans that also appealed to general audiences. See marvel. I guess I'm just annoyed that I get crap for wanting more from Star Wars because I've seen the awesome storylines and characters that came from it. And now it's just like any other IP out there. Just another big dumb blockbuster that everyone can consume and forget about in a month or so. Its no different than the marvel Comic book guys saying "it was different in the comics." The difference there is they got a lot of what they wanted and all their heroes were treated with respect in the movies. It was satisfying for both the hardcore and the casual fans. 
It's ALWAYS BEEN THAT!  A New Hope is basically one of the defining examples of "blockbuster popcorn flick" in modern cinema. 

Movies always suffer a bit when you know what's going to happen.  It's why remakes usually feel a bit flat.  Even if you like them, knowing what's going to happen takes the fun out of it.  We always knew the basic story of 1-3 and aside from the fate of a couple of ancillary characters, we knew where all these guys were going to be 30 years later.
Everyone knew what was going to happen  to Walter White from the very 1st episode of Breaking Bad. If he was just going to stop making meth one day and live a normal life, it would have been a stupid story. It was one of the greatest TV series in history BECAUSE people knew he was going to destroy himself and the writers made that path to destruction entertaining. 

When I see how TV series did such an awesome job of taking a school teacher to a drug lord over 40 to 50 hours of footage with a TV series budget, I weep at how badly the prequels took a Jedi to a Sith lord in around 7 hours with a top of the line movie budget. 

My dream is that one day Vince Gilligan gets the opportunity to tell the story of how Anakin became Darth Vader. :popcorn:

Everyone knew what was going to happen  to Walter White from the very 1st episode of Breaking Bad. If he was just going to stop making meth one day and live a normal life, it would have been a stupid story. It was one of the greatest TV series in history BECAUSE people knew he was going to destroy himself and the writers made that path to destruction entertaining. 

When I see how TV series did such an awesome job of taking a school teacher to a drug lord over 40 to 50 hours of footage with a TV series budget, I weep at how badly the prequels took a Jedi to a Sith lord in around 7 hours with a top of the line movie budget. 

My dream is that one day Vince Gilligan gets the opportunity to tell the story of how Anakin became Darth Vader. :popcorn:
I wouldn’t put it past Disney to one day remake the prequels.  They probably need to wait another 10-30 years but I could see it happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn’t put it past Disney to one day remake the prequels.  They probably need to wait another 10-30 years but I could see it happening.
When we are grandparents in the next 10-15 years (some of you may be already...sheesh) I would not put it past Disney to remake the original trilogy to milk this cow for everything they can.

When we are grandparents in the next 10-15 years (some of you may be already...sheesh) I would not put it past Disney to remake the original trilogy to milk this cow for everything they can.
I absolutely expect it. I know how iconic it is and all, but I expect the dollar signs to outweigh the sacrilege. 

I absolutely expect it. I know how iconic it is and all, but I expect the dollar signs to outweigh the sacrilege. 
I’m not sure why people are betting against this idea. I mean, Disney is literally doing exactly this right now with the "live action" remakes of their animated classics. They do this in order to retain rights for the next X years. When Star Wars is old in the tooth, I wouldn’t be surprised if we get animated versions of the Star Wars movies. Then, 30 years later, live action versions again.  But I’ll be dead then so it’s on my great grand kids to come post in here about it. ;)

I’m not sure why people are betting against this idea. I mean, Disney is literally doing exactly this right now with the "live action" remakes of their animated classics. They do this in order to retain rights for the next X years. When Star Wars is old in the tooth, I wouldn’t be surprised if we get animated versions of the Star Wars movies. Then, 30 years later, live action versions again.  But I’ll be dead then so it’s on my great grand kids to come post in here about it. ;)
I hadn't thought about a double remake, but yeah, that is probably going to happen. 

They can't. That's part of the agreement with Lucas. They can't touch the original trilogy. Don't know if the prequels have the same protection.

They can't. That's part of the agreement with Lucas. They can't touch the original trilogy. Don't know if the prequels have the same protection.
Ok did not know that. And that was smart by Lucas. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Insein said:
I've read similar.  In fact, they aren't even allowed to alter Lucas' final versions of the 6...which is an absolute shame.  I hate that the ROTJ that is on Disney+ and on my blu-ray is the version with the stupid dancing aliens with big lips. I hate the edited in animal humor that distract from the scenes.  But those are Lucas' babies and I get that he wants them to be unedited.  I respect that decision of his.

As to whether they should be updated, that's a decent question.  Upon my last viewing of the OT, for the first time I began to think that they are finally really showing their age.   Reboots would be wildly successful, especially of the prequels.  But to me Disney needs to break away from this timeline and create a new one.  

I've read similar.  In fact, they aren't even allowed to alter Lucas' final versions of the 6...which is an absolute shame.  I hate that the ROTJ that is on Disney+ and on my blu-ray is the version with the stupid dancing aliens with big lips. I hate the edited in animal humor that distract from the scenes.  But those are Lucas' babies and I get that he wants them to be unedited.  I respect that decision of his.

As to whether they should be updated, that's a decent question.  Upon my last viewing of the OT, for the first time I began to think that they are finally really showing their age.   Reboots would be wildly successful, especially of the prequels.  But to me Disney needs to break away from this timeline and create a new one.  
Yes they do. That being said, the TROS is doing well at the box office and while being billed as the last of this timeline, it wouldn't be hard to make another one. If this one hits the magic billion dollar mark, or even crests 700M, do we see Rey reappear in a few years? She could do her own thing. No actual Skywalkers in the next one. Just her on some mission to take on some threat. Maybe a battle hardened Mando and his spunky Yoda side kick need some help with some hidden Sith outpost?

Yes they do. That being said, the TROS is doing well at the box office and while being billed as the last of this timeline, it wouldn't be hard to make another one. If this one hits the magic billion dollar mark, or even crests 700M, do we see Rey reappear in a few years? She could do her own thing. No actual Skywalkers in the next one. Just her on some mission to take on some threat. Maybe a battle hardened Mando and his spunky Yoda side kick need some help with some hidden Sith outpost?
Personally, I'd like to see more about the Old Republic. Those games were lots of fun, and had a good story.

$1 billion isn't really that magically anymore. That would be 43rd all time. This movie needs to be in the $1.3b to $1.6b range to be considered a success. TLJ grossed $1.3b. I'd say this one ends up around $1.4b.

I personally think that they need to make a Vader movie.  James Earl-Jones is 88 and Ian McDiarmid is 75.  These guys aren't living forever....

@Insein

Lets say someone has some time and wants to read some books on the EU. What do you recommend. 

I read the thrwan thrilogy when they first came out. Probably time for a re read. Need to go to my parents house to get them. 

TIA

@Insein

Lets say someone has some time and wants to read some books on the EU. What do you recommend. 

I read the thrwan thrilogy when they first came out. Probably time for a re read. Need to go to my parents house to get them. 

TIA
It depends on where you want to go. If you want to advance in the main story, the Jedi Academy trilogy is a good one. Deals with Luke, Han and Chewie. Luke is setting up the new Jedi academy but lots of things go wrong. Good compelling story. Set about 11 years after ANH. There are a lot of good one off books in this time frame as well. 

If you want some good portrayals of old characters like Han and Boba Fett, try the Han Solo Trilogy (Paradise Snare, Hutt Gambit and Rebel Dawn) and the Bounty Hunter Trilogy (Mandalorian Armor, Slave Ship and Hard Merchandise). The solo trilogy is fantastic and why I find the movie so horrible. The BH trilogy deals with Boba Fett surviving the Sarlacc by crawling his way out of it's stomach.  It is set in the time the Mandalorian show is right now. Not sure if they'll bring any elements of it over but I have seen some simple things like the BH guild and the rules of conduct for it being used from this trilogy. Great read either way for more of the grittier side of Star wars. 

After that, the next major trilogy would be the Corellian Trilogy. This is set 18 years after ANH and it's the first time we really see the Solo kids start to go out in their own. Jaina and Jacen are about 13 at this point and their younger brother, Anakin Solo, is about 8 or so. Luke, Leia and Han are all still major players especially Han dealing with his homeworld. This is the trilogy that really kicks off a lot of the ground work for all the books to come after though. It was a major shift from the main 3 to starting to show the Solo kids coming into their own. 

Plenty of other material to get to after that but those are the biggest IMO. 

Since my wife is a relatively new Star Wars convert we decided to watch episode 1 today. As she read the scroll about trade and blockades she blurted our “oh my god this is going to be CNBC in space!” :lmao:  

I told her yes, but that would actually be episode 2. 

Since my wife is a relatively new Star Wars convert we decided to watch episode 1 today. As she read the scroll about trade and blockades she blurted our “oh my god this is going to be CNBC in space!” :lmao:  

I told her yes, but that would actually be episode 2. 
Did you warn her about all the whining in 2?

It depends on where you want to go. If you want to advance in the main story, the Jedi Academy trilogy is a good one. Deals with Luke, Han and Chewie. Luke is setting up the new Jedi academy but lots of things go wrong. Good compelling story. Set about 11 years after ANH. There are a lot of good one off books in this time frame as well. 

If you want some good portrayals of old characters like Han and Boba Fett, try the Han Solo Trilogy (Paradise Snare, Hutt Gambit and Rebel Dawn) and the Bounty Hunter Trilogy (Mandalorian Armor, Slave Ship and Hard Merchandise). The solo trilogy is fantastic and why I find the movie so horrible. The BH trilogy deals with Boba Fett surviving the Sarlacc by crawling his way out of it's stomach.  It is set in the time the Mandalorian show is right now. Not sure if they'll bring any elements of it over but I have seen some simple things like the BH guild and the rules of conduct for it being used from this trilogy. Great read either way for more of the grittier side of Star wars. 

After that, the next major trilogy would be the Corellian Trilogy. This is set 18 years after ANH and it's the first time we really see the Solo kids start to go out in their own. Jaina and Jacen are about 13 at this point and their younger brother, Anakin Solo, is about 8 or so. Luke, Leia and Han are all still major players especially Han dealing with his homeworld. This is the trilogy that really kicks off a lot of the ground work for all the books to come after though. It was a major shift from the main 3 to starting to show the Solo kids coming into their own. 

Plenty of other material to get to after that but those are the biggest IMO. 
I agree with all of this, except the Bounter Hunter Trilogy. Those stories are terrible. Sure, we get how Fett survived the Sarlacc, but the rest was terrible. 

Disagree. But that's cool.
I believe they claim he was a body guard before becoming a bounty hunter. I just never liked the back story. And the story dragged on quite a bit. I was so geeked about reading it and was completely underwhelmed. But that's me. 

Hey since we are in the main thread if any of y’all are as dorky as me the Jedi video game is super good as well. Nice Christmas gift to myself. That’s all. #nerd
Just got it. Well my wife said get whatever game you want for Christmas, idk what you like. Fallen order it is. Everyone I know loves it. Can't wait.

That is an old story. B and B from Game of Thrones have been canned from the project. 
From what I understand, Kalogridis is still writing the story.  She was hired before  and is continuing moving forward.  I don't think it was ever formally stated that Beinoff and Weiss were working on her particular story.

I personally think that they need to make a Vader movie.  James Earl-Jones is 88 and Ian McDiarmid is 75.  These guys aren't living forever....
A movie based solely on Darth Vader, would shatter any record. One of MY favorite pieces of cinema, is the scene in Rogue One, when its all dark, the alarm is going, all of the sudden you hear the breathing. Then the lightsaber ignites. Then goodnight, mother####ers.

Someone needs to do this.

From what I understand, Kalogridis is still writing the story.  She was hired before  and is continuing moving forward.  I don't think it was ever formally stated that Beinoff and Weiss were working on her particular story.
I'm not sure what story they were working on, all I know is they are no longer working on anything for Star Wars. 

A movie based solely on Darth Vader, would shatter any record. One of MY favorite pieces of cinema, is the scene in Rogue One, when its all dark, the alarm is going, all of the sudden you hear the breathing. Then the lightsaber ignites. Then goodnight, mother####ers.

Someone needs to do this.
Love Rogue One but I was initially disappointed with it because THAT could have been the Darth Vader movie. 

Love Rogue One but I was initially disappointed with it because THAT could have been the Darth Vader movie. 
They could have made (and still could) a move called Darth Vader. The preview would just be his breathing following by "Darth Vader" Christmas 2022....

We saw him in Rouge One in his best action for about 1 minute. We saw him angry in Empire choking everyone and showing his power of the Dark Side while defeating Luke.

We also saw him look 90 years old in A New Hope against Obi-Wan who actually wanted to lose.

Point is, we barely saw Darth Vader in his prime. I would love a movie where he is on the hunt for any remaining Jedi and seeing him slashing up his enemies and becoming a fully powered Sith. Perhaps Yoda can build his little hut, Obi-Wan can change his name to Ben and stalk a young Luke and drive his Uncle/Aunt crazy, maybe we see his face when he hears rumors about Vader..Maybe we see how Tarken (??) becomes the leader of the Death Star and is able to give Vader orders for some context to the overall story

I always thought that the prequels were not so bad and that there were good movies in there somewhere. 

We didn’t need a full movie of anakin as a kid. Show him get discovered then jump forward in episode 1. Turn him at end of 2. Hunt jedi in 3. 

I could see Disney trying to do a movie or even a trilogy centered around a live action Ahsoka Tano.  

Beloved character from the animated shows, female lead, wields lightsabers but is not a Jedi, which could allow for more flaws of “humanity”. Would seem to check all of the boxes

They could have made (and still could) a move called Darth Vader. The preview would just be his breathing following by "Darth Vader" Christmas 2022....

We saw him in Rouge One in his best action for about 1 minute. We saw him angry in Empire choking everyone and showing his power of the Dark Side while defeating Luke.

We also saw him look 90 years old in A New Hope against Obi-Wan who actually wanted to lose.

Point is, we barely saw Darth Vader in his prime. I would love a movie where he is on the hunt for any remaining Jedi and seeing him slashing up his enemies and becoming a fully powered Sith. Perhaps Yoda can build his little hut, Obi-Wan can change his name to Ben and stalk a young Luke and drive his Uncle/Aunt crazy, maybe we see his face when he hears rumors about Vader..Maybe we see how Tarken (??) becomes the leader of the Death Star and is able to give Vader orders for some context to the overall story
They better hurry up and make it before James Earl Jones leaves us

They better hurry up and make it before James Earl Jones leaves us
I doubt this is even a consideration. Probably a bit too dark for Disney to have a Sith Lord hunting Jedi with a light saber, etc. There would have to be some of these subplots mixed in so I threw in the Obi-Wan (although the new Disney series will probably take on some of this in theory too).

I would love to see Disney's financial books to date on the Star Wars purchase.  Have they made money on this deal?  

4 billion to buy the franchise,  5 films that have production and marketing cost in the 300 million range each, plus construction cost in the theme parks.  Disney's got to be pushing 6 billion in cost for the franchise so far.  Returns so far 

TFA 2.1 billion

TLJ  1.3

Rogue One  850 million 

Solo  450 million?

TROS  lets say it hits 1.5 billion.

6.2 billion income maybe by the end of ROS?  There is other income to of course merchandise etc.  Would just like to see Disney's internal numbers. 

I would love to see Disney's financial books to date on the Star Wars purchase.  Have they made money on this deal?  

4 billion to buy the franchise,  5 films that have production and marketing cost in the 300 million range each, plus construction cost in the theme parks.  Disney's got to be pushing 6 billion in cost for the franchise so far.  Returns so far 

TFA 2.1 billion

TLJ  1.3

Rogue One  850 million 

Solo  450 million?

TROS  lets say it hits 1.5 billion.

6.2 billion income maybe by the end of ROS?  There is other income to of course merchandise etc.  Would just like to see Disney's internal numbers. 
Yeah, I’ll bet that “other” category is massive—it’s not just a throw in. 

also relevant: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/10/30/six-years-after-buying-lucasfilm-disney-has-recouped-its-investment.html

cubd8 said:
I doubt this is even a consideration. Probably a bit too dark for Disney to have a Sith Lord hunting Jedi with a light saber, etc. There would have to be some of these subplots mixed in so I threw in the Obi-Wan (although the new Disney series will probably take on some of this in theory too).
I might be in the minority, but a Vader movie makes zero sense to me. We saw his turn to the dark side, and his antics during the original trilogy, what would be the point of him hunting Jedi down? It would be an obvious money grab, even more so than the prequels were 

I might be in the minority, but a Vader movie makes zero sense to me. We saw his turn to the dark side, and his antics during the original trilogy, what would be the point of him hunting Jedi down? It would be an obvious money grab, even more so than the prequels were 
It's a money grab for sure and the plot is simple. The challenge would be having enough of a story line since we already know what happened and what will in the future. I just wanted more of Vader as we never saw him in his prime outside of the scene in Rogue 1 and the his battle with Obi-Wan that he ultimately lost.

Yes. Exactly. If I recall correctly from conversations with friends in high places, the merchandising from TFA was equal to the total global box office take. Disney basically made back their money after Ep7. 
I would not thought it was that high but makes sense when you think of the variety of items with star wars branding.  Still would like to see the books.

Users who are viewing this thread