What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Star Wars Universe (1 Viewer)

I am enjoying Book of Boba Fett. It is just really great to be able to get into the universe a lot more. Love the whole Tuskin Raider back story. That had been the highlight for me in the first three episodes. 

It’s not as good as the Mandolorian.....but it is still good stuff. As a pioneer Star Wars fan.....these shows have been made for us....big time. I have no complaints and can’t wait till season 3 of the Mandolorian and season one of Obi Wan. 

Such a great time to be a Star Wars fan. 

Hmmm...might have something to do with almost being killed in the Sarlac? He's not that far removed from that.

Favreau has a huge samurai/Kurosawa tone to his storytelling. Which makes sense as George Lucas used those themes for the original Star Wars. A lot of Star Wars fans were truly offended when Phantom Menace came out and you found out being a Jedi was like being born with an STD. And Qui Gonn figured it out using a prop made from a ladies razor.

The Mandalorian is highly derivative of Lone Wolf And Cub.  Boba Fett is likely going to be derivative of Ikiru.

I'm not sure what the criticism are for from some here in terms of the early Boba episodes. They had to explain him escaping the Sarlacc Pit with actual consequences. It's a very sensible show to make, there's an easy pathway to reuse sets, costumes, characters, etc, etc from The Mandalorian. Here's what Favreau and Filoni have been getting right - The real interesting stories are the world building elements around Boba and Mandalorian. They also infuse a ton of fan service. Two Scout Troopers missing at target practice is fun for hard core viewers.

Simple stories. Fun for the audience. Fan service. Staying to tried and true themes in storytelling. Things that the Rey/Kylo Ren movies failed at horribly. The SNL skit about Kylo Ren was actually more interesting and more character building than the entirety of all the movies where he was featured.

I like Boba, but not as good as the Mandalorian thus far.

The biker gang is kind of campy for lack of a better word and the train episode a bit cliche.  I do like the basic premise and many of the scenes definitely immerse you in the universe, so there are some positives too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched the first two episodes. It’s so bad. Why on earth did they not get a younger dude to play him? 

Ikiru -- What Makes This Movie Great? (Episode 78)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l601SdXt9tk

George Lucas on Akira Kurosawa

George Lucas discusses the influence of Akira Kurosawa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9V2T1ONA2I

Humanistic Cinema – Understanding Akira Kurosawa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgOm-L7TsEQ

Book Of Boba Fett - Major theme is "What is a good life?"

What are the consequences for never having "lived" but to have only survived?  A younger Boba Fett story would be interesting but it would conflict with a lot of the type of storytelling the Mandalorian is doing right now.

I get that some people will be irritated by the extended sequences with the Sand People, but part of showing character growth is having Boba Fett understand human empathy. It's designed as a character study but packaged with fan service.

I get what Favreau and Filoni are doing. I also get why some fans might not like it.

What it does say, which is good for Star Wars fans, is that despite some not liking this show, that there is an investment in layered traditional storytelling that was painfully absent in the Rey/Kylo Ren sequels. So this one might be a pass for some people, but the next few using this type of structure might be much better in quality than people have seen from Star Wars in a long long time.

Ikiru -- What Makes This Movie Great? (Episode 78)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l601SdXt9tk

George Lucas on Akira Kurosawa

George Lucas discusses the influence of Akira Kurosawa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9V2T1ONA2I

Humanistic Cinema – Understanding Akira Kurosawa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgOm-L7TsEQ

Book Of Boba Fett - Major theme is "What is a good life?"

What are the consequences for never having "lived" but to have only survived?  A younger Boba Fett story would be interesting but it would conflict with a lot of the type of storytelling the Mandalorian is doing right now.

I get that some people will be irritated by the extended sequences with the Sand People, but part of showing character growth is having Boba Fett understand human empathy. It's designed as a character study but packaged with fan service.

I get what Favreau and Filoni are doing. I also get why some fans might not like it.

What it does say, which is good for Star Wars fans, is that despite some not liking this show, that there is an investment in layered traditional storytelling that was painfully absent in the Rey/Kylo Ren sequels. So this one might be a pass for some people, but the next few using this type of structure might be much better in quality than people have seen from Star Wars in a long long time.
Im ok with everything except the lead can barely move. Him learning how to fight at 65 was also dumb.  

Since Boba Fett is an unaltered clone of Jango Fett, who was played by Temuera Morrison, and needed to look like Temuera Morrison the role pretty much cast itself, no?
It made sense in the abstract, and for Mandalorian cameos, but after seeing a few episodes of this I’m with Steady. Morrison isn’t capable of pulling off Boba Fett as an in-his-prime action star like the role really calls for. 

It made sense in the abstract, and for Mandalorian cameos, but after seeing a few episodes of this I’m with Steady. Morrison isn’t capable of pulling off Boba Fett as an in-his-prime action star like the role really calls for. 

They should leave his helmet on for much more of the show, and let it be a stunt guy, like they do on Mandalorian, where Pascal was barely in the suit Season 1 at all.

I tend to agree he isn't ideal, but not a total miss either.   He's like a C+ for me.

Im ok with everything except the lead can barely move. Him learning how to fight at 65 was also dumb.  

to be fair I believe clones age about double the rate humans do, so technically he’s like an 80 year old man

Stolen from the Midnight Boys podcast today: "Boba Fett is the Falcon of the Star Wars Universe. He gets his ### kicked by everyone."

I liked 4. The more badass blookie the better. 

Wife hints that the SW community thinks that eluding to more "muscle" will sooner rather than later unite Fett and Mando.

He's not wrong in the sense that Boba was an exact, unaltered replica, he did not have the expedited aging, etc. that the other clones did.

So, yes, he is a clone of Jango, but he is an unaltered clone.
ah yes you guys are correct, it was the altering process that causes it

you guys can indeed have my nerd card

Mile High said:
Crossover in the future?
Yes.  Then saying they will pay for muscle with the Mandalorian music starting was great.

I don’t know how people don’t like this.  I do like Mandalorian better but this is still better than any movie except for rogue one in like 40 years.

He's not wrong in the sense that Boba was an exact, unaltered replica, he did not have the expedited aging, etc. that the other clones did.

So, yes, he is a clone of Jango, but he is an unaltered clone.
Oh, good point.  I'll see myself out.

\nerdcard

Just watched the first 4 Boba episode. Not bad for the most part. Obviously the bike chase through the city was laughably awful. Looked like something I made on 3d movie maker on my dad's ACER computer 25 years ago. 

Evil chewbanks is great 

It's something to watch :shrug:

I have to admit the whole random CGI cute little creature standing on a rock overlooking a city for a scene transition is getting played out.  

TLEF316 said:
Just watched the first 4 Boba episode. Not bad for the most part. Obviously the bike chase through the city was laughably awful. Looked like something I made on 3d movie maker on my dad's ACER computer 25 years ago. 

Evil chewbanks is great 

It's something to watch :shrug:
It's gotten better. Episode 1 was weak and the power ranger kids are weak but overall the shows not bad.  Has possibly of a great finish if they bring Mandalorian and other Star War characters in.

This episode was good enough for me, but I think he may have been “healed” one bacta-dream too soon. Seems like there’s a flashback or two still needed.

I am fine with the Muppet/rubber masks effects for the creatures, (because, “Star Wars”, duh) but the Wayne’s World level green screen of “walking” along the sand in front of the palace in particular was really bad.

I am confused about the tact the woman mandalorian takes after the Dark Saber duel. 
Why bring up the helmet stuff at that point. Seems like she knew the whole time. What is her end game there. 

Users who are viewing this thread