What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Camera Guys--need recommendations (1 Viewer)

-fish-

Footballguy
My daughter is interested in photography and has taken a couple digital photography classes.  She's turning 14 and will be a freshman in high school.  For her birthday I'd like to get her a good DSLR camera and a couple lenses, as well as some photo editing software.  I don't know anything about this stuff.

She has a macbook pro.  

I've been looking at reviews and I found this:

https://www.costco.com/Nikon-D3400-DSLR-Camera-2-Lens-Bundle.product.100313565.html

Any thoughts?   I'm hoping to stick around this price point and get her something that she'll be able to use for a few years as she learns. 

Also, is photoshop the best choice of editing software?

Thanks for your input.

I have a D3300 and am very happy with it.

Disclosure: I've only ever bought Nikon SLR/DSLRs

What does she like to photograph?

I would use that as a base for your research. I have a Nikon D90 and love it. It is not great for indoor and low light though. 

I decided to skip and packages and buy the 18-200 lens which was a great investment. I never really take it off since it is so versatile. I also have the old nifty 50(mm lens.)

The other thing you may want to invest in is classes and editing software. Most of the great pics (not all) have a ton of post processing work on them. 

I have taken classes with Bryan Peterson and would reccomend his course for a beginner. 

https://bpsop.com/understanding-exposure-and-your-dslr/

What does she like to photograph?

I would use that as a base for your research. I have a Nikon D90 and love it. It is not great for indoor and low light though. 

I decided to skip and packages and buy the 18-200 lens which was a great investment. I never really take it off since it is so versatile. I also have the old nifty 50(mm lens.)

The other thing you may want to invest in is classes and editing software. Most of the great pics (not all) have a ton of post processing work on them. 

I have taken classes with Bryan Peterson and would reccomend his course for a beginner. 

https://bpsop.com/understanding-exposure-and-your-dslr/
She's taken a couple classes, so at this point she's just experimenting with a bunch of different stuff and techniques.   She doesn't have one thing in particular that she focuses on.

I plan on getting her editing software.  She has a Macbook Pro, so I think it's good enough to run just about anything.  Should I just get her photoshop and let her start with that?

She's taken a couple classes, so at this point she's just experimenting with a bunch of different stuff and techniques.   She doesn't have one thing in particular that she focuses on.

I plan on getting her editing software.  She has a Macbook Pro, so I think it's good enough to run just about anything.  Should I just get her photoshop and let her start with that?
Sounds good to me. But let the experts push you in a good direction. I am far from. 

There is a DSLR thread in here that might help

I'm just seeing this thread but the Nikon D3[X]00 series is a good one for a starter.  I had a D3000 for my first one.  Later generations of that series are better, I assume.  I upgraded to a D7200 not too long ago, as I found the ISO range a bit limiting and pictures were coming out too grainy in low light.

Users who are viewing this thread