What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone been an Expat? (1 Viewer)

no reason not to go, but there is so much to think about....like getting a car, opening a bank account, etc.  in italy, everything was allowed to us once we got what they call a codice fiscale.  i would see what is required there to rent a car, open a bank account, etc.  maybe go before you relocate and try to pick off some small things.  the bank account helps.  make sure all your bills here are electronic.  do you have a company credit card?  this sounds stupid, but europe is different.  bedrooms pretty much don’t have closets.  kitchens, if installed, are small.  ovens are not standard.  they don’t really use dryers.  washing machines are in the kitchen sometimes.  you will rough it a bit, but that’s the fun.  step outside the comfort zone, but be prepared for it.  in italy when we house searched, they were dirty, smelly.  in italy, when people move they take the kitchen with them, cabinets, appliances, everything.
Ouch.

My wife and o actually went to Germany for our honeymoon  (We lived on FL St the time so going somewhere with a beach seemed silly).  The tour company we used put us up in traditional apartments instead of hotels so we got a feel for what life is like. As I recall, they typically have small fridges and kitchens but it's no big deal as there is a grocery store very close by.  One big issue for the wife is no AC - I think that's pretty typical.

Ouch.

My wife and o actually went to Germany for our honeymoon  (We lived on FL St the time so going somewhere with a beach seemed silly).  The tour company we used put us up in traditional apartments instead of hotels so we got a feel for what life is like. As I recall, they typically have small fridges and kitchens but it's no big deal as there is a grocery store very close by.  One big issue for the wife is no AC - I think that's pretty typical.
no AC is a deal breaker for me.  i have installed a unit in my bedroom.  it works ok, but not like the states.  some buildings may not have elevators.  just decide what you can’t live without.

Ouch.

A/C units can be installed very easily.

I doubt Italy is much like Germany in this respect.  But it is something to ask (it certainly surprised me when I went to Brazil - but I had a white goods allowance so problem solved)
No, it is.  You have to bring your own kitchen.  We use dryers though and it's down in the cellar with the washer not in the kitchen.

Ouch.

You won't need AC in Bavaria unless you're sleeping in the attic.  A simple fan will do.  One thing that takes getting used to regarding groceries is that the stores close at 8pm and are closed on Sundays

Dirty and smelly too like chemical said about Italy?
Nothing I noticed.  Germany is pretty clean.  One thing I always notice going back to the states is the amount of garbage lying around and the number of obese people.  And the crappy infrastructure.  ####ty drivers...

lol....ever go to a beach?  portajohn with a hole in the floor.  if a number 2, no idea.  about the only thing that has ever skeezed me out over there.  well, toilets without seats a bit.
We lived in a small Italian village.  The local cinema had what we called "crocodile pits"- a hole in the floor with two places to put your feet on either side.  It was educational.

It was a resort town on the Riviera.  The beach had open sewage running across it.  (I don't think Turin has any sewage treatment at all.)

Germany was nice and clean.  Switzerland is immaculate.

Last edited by a moderator:
We lived in a small Italian village.  The local cinema had what we called "crocodile pits"- a hole in the floor with two places to put your feet on either side.  It was educational.

It was a resort town on the Riviera.  The beach had open sewage running across it.  (I don't think Turin has any sewage treatment at all.)

Germany was nice and clean.  Switzerland is immaculate.
yup, crocodile pit.  seriously, wtf?

Stand toilets are pretty common in Asia, but I think they're decreasing as a % as people realize what a luxury sitting down to take a dump is.

...kid ages 21...Oldest kid - he's kind of a "failure to launch" scenario.  Not sure what he does if he's not sleeping in my basement.
What happen?  Is he currently in school, dropped out, never went, vocation?  Does he have a job?  Also as said earlier, he's likely going to have to apply to get his own visa.  This might be a good motivator for him to go "figure it out".

What happen?  Is he currently in school, dropped out, never went, vocation?  Does he have a job?  Also as said earlier, he's likely going to have to apply to get his own visa.  This might be a good motivator for him to go "figure it out".
"Son - we're moving to Germany. And when I say we, it's the rest of us. You, you stay here. find a new place to live, a job, something. Good luck, son!"

"Son - we're moving to Germany. And when I say we, it's the rest of us. You, you stay here. find a new place to live, a job, something. Good luck, son!"
Alright, everyone step forward that's going with me to Germany.

Whoa, not so fast there #1 son.

he was in college his freshman year.  right before finals, he broke up with his GF and had a nasty flu, and got in a big fight with his dad, and ended up dropping out.  Since then, he's been living in my basement, trying to figure out what has to happen next.  I'm cool with him loving here as long as he is pursuing college and he has been taking classes at the local CC, but not sure where that will lead.

he was in college his freshman year.  right before finals, he broke up with his GF and had a nasty flu, and got in a big fight with his dad, and ended up dropping out.  Since then, he's been living in my basement, trying to figure out what has to happen next.  I'm cool with him loving here as long as he is pursuing college and he has been taking classes at the local CC, but not sure where that will lead.
You're his step dad right?  That makes this okay. 

One point - vacation. Don't take any bull#### - you want to have the same amount as the Germans

Never been an ex-pat, but I've been to Stuttgart & Munich.  Bavaria is the shiznit.  On the short list of places outside of the US I would want to live, and my wife said the same.

had our first call with my wife’s local HR rep.  she will be our u.s. contact for this process.  we told her our timing is 18-24 mumfs.  definitely after march 2020 so i can get my bonus before i give notice.  likely may-june 2020.  she will talk with some colleagues and wife’s mgr. to determine who covers what costs and all that fun financial stuff.

edit to say our timing is such, since we do not plan on returning.

had our first call with my wife’s local HR rep.  she will be our u.s. contact for this process.  we told her our timing is 18-24 mumfs.  definitely after march 2020 so i can get my bonus before i give notice.  likely may-june 2020.  she will talk with some colleagues and wife’s mgr. to determine who covers what costs and all that fun financial stuff.

edit to say our timing is such, since we do not plan on returning.
Ever?

Ever, this is a permanent move, hence the time needed to shut affairs on our side.  Watch when I take the Queen Mary 2 across to Southampton UK, in order to get my dog over there alive and not dead in a plane's cargo hold.
I had started a thread on this, but maybe i'll keep my updates here.  our thoughts are we are gonna ship 1 car, roll on roll off from Baltimore or NYC to Southampton.  The QM2 goes to Southampton.  We will coordinate our time to get there by boat and get our car.  Then we will drive 1/2 hoor to Portsmouth, which has a ferry to Le Havre, France and goes overnight, from 11.30p-8.30a.  The ferry has small cabins for 2 people and 1 dog, about 13 of these cabins per ship.  We will get to Le Havre then drive to Dijon and overnight.  Then drive to Turin and overnight.  Then drive to our house.

I had started a thread on this, but maybe i'll keep my updates here.  our thoughts are we are gonna ship 1 car, roll on roll off from Baltimore or NYC to Southampton.  The QM2 goes to Southampton.  We will coordinate our time to get there by boat and get our car.  Then we will drive 1/2 hoor to Portsmouth, which has a ferry to Le Havre, France and goes overnight, from 11.30p-8.30a.  The ferry has small cabins for 2 people and 1 dog, about 13 of these cabins per ship.  We will get to Le Havre then drive to Dijon and overnight.  Then drive to Turin and overnight.  Then drive to our house.
Definitely keep your thread updated. 

You should verify in detail about your car. I know it likely would no be possible to bring it in Denmark. Italy might have similar rules.

ETA: you should go to Beaune instead of Dijon, it's a bit further but not that much - and much nicer! Smack in th emiddle of the burgundy district

You should verify in detail about your car. I know it likely would no be possible to bring it in Denmark. Italy might have similar rules.

ETA: you should go to Beaune instead of Dijon, it's a bit further but not that much - and much nicer! Smack in th emiddle of the burgundy district
are we talking emissions guidelines?  i think i meet EU requirements.

are we talking emissions guidelines?  i think i meet EU requirements.
IIRC it's whether the specific engine model has been tested in EU and whether that specific chassis has been crash tested - in that combo with the engine. At least that's how it is in Denmark.

The rules are stupid. But they are there.

Not sure how long you'd be allowed to drive on American plates (if at all), even intra EU it's kind of ####ed how short they let you do that.

I'd probably look into renting a car instead and then buying one in Italy. Although those would likely be a lot smaller than what you are used to.

Also - in 2020 the UK would be outside of the EU which could give you even worse complications that would be difficult to plan for since no on e is sure what Brexit means yet

Users who are viewing this thread