What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WSOP Main Event - Hellmuth controversy (1 Viewer)

Embarrassing for poker. Though enduring past 7000+ foes is an estimable feat, easily the two worst heads-up players in WSOP history. More tells than a Swiss phone book, both of em, and the broadcast team fumbling over their avoidance of saying so was almost as shameful.
I thought the announcers were really fawning over them too, meanwhile while not buying the Miles shtick myself.  I don't know about two of the worst but the heads up was pretty boring.  They could have jabbed with each other for hours until a real crazy hand hit that would put them all in.  Maybe it was just how the cards were coming out but it was dragging for sure.

There was nothing extraordinary about their play. A few unconventional moves, but even their bluffs were calculated and not unreasonable. The best hand was Miles checking his A6 and then getting paid on his trips. Otherwise, nothing terrible, nothing exceptional. A better heads up player would have run over both, IMO, but they weren't the worst I've seen.

I thought the announcers were really fawning over them too, meanwhile while not buying the Miles shtick myself.  I don't know about two of the worst but the heads up was pretty boring.  They could have jabbed with each other for hours until a real crazy hand hit that would put them all in.  Maybe it was just how the cards were coming out but it was dragging for sure.
i had noticed earlier in the final table that Cinn's eye contact was totally different when he was hot & not and there was NO other conclusion to come to when the other kid went all-in early, so i was like 'what kinda amateur hour is this?!'. it went on forever though, so i went to bed and left it on low. kept waking up and the TV was too far away for this ol' man to see the cards and the volume too low for me to hear most of what was said so, thru the night, i kept guessing what they were on by their faces and i was ez 85% half-asleep. clownishly bad -

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure the people who want to see a guy be a poker ambassador was cheering Dyer losing.  Man he was boring.  Probably just trying to be reserved and focused but still.
I was big fan of Dyer. He was playing great when they were 10 handed. Just ran into a luck box in Miles at the final table and made a couple of really loose calls. Liked his demeanor, loved the speed in which he acted and most of all loved that when there was an all-in he never went to the rail to hang out with his "bros". 

He didn't slow roll him. They're playing for 12 hours. He just wanted to take a minute and think it through with 3.5 million on the line. He even says before he calls he's not slow rolling him. He didn't have the nuts.
Yep he just wanted to be sure on the biggest decision of his life.  And he was mega-apologetic about it - I think it was part of why he was so muted in his celebration.

Better player won.

-QG

I was big fan of Dyer. He was playing great when they were 10 handed. Just ran into a luck box in Miles at the final table and made a couple of really loose calls. Liked his demeanor, loved the speed in which he acted and most of all loved that when there was an all-in he never went to the rail to hang out with his "bros". 
He had no bros there to hang with - pretty sure obly his parents were railing him.

LOL maybe it just bothered me that he was too much like how I'd imagine I'd be at the final table (I tend to play fast myself).

-QG

Definitely.

When they were 10 handed there were some random screaming drunk dudes in the audience. I don't think these guys were bros with anybody, just being obnoxious. I found it hard to believe the tournament would allow that. 
I bet there were more randoms than usual railing the final table since there were zero off days (and thus less time to really fly people in at the last minute).

I agree that there was too much rail interplay this time though the 30-minute delay set up allows for on the spot coaching and consultation - which presumably leads to more rail trips as well.

-QG

Definitely.

When they were 10 handed there were some random screaming drunk dudes in the audience. I don't think these guys were bros with anybody, just being obnoxious. I found it hard to believe the tournament would allow that. 
There were two groups of the "bros" and they were railing two of the final 9.  They were obnoxiously loud and annoying to us all playing 50 yards away on the other side of the walk way in the Amazon for the 3k horse tourney. 

We were told after awhile, that they could no longer drink while play was under way.  During the breaks, they would exit the Amazon room just behind my table and about two dozen in each group would just pound beers relentlessly during the break. I don't know who they were railing.   

You know, I get that poker often is played into and through the night.

But that said, I'd much rather they called it a day by 2 am and let them come back and play the next day.  Would rather see the heads up decided with them at their best.  

Not to mention that it doesn't do poker much good having the biggest moment of the year take place when their potential viewers are sleeping. 

You know, I get that poker often is played into and through the night.

But that said, I'd much rather they called it a day by 2 am and let them come back and play the next day.  Would rather see the heads up decided with them at their best.  

Not to mention that it doesn't do poker much good having the biggest moment of the year take place when their potential viewers are sleeping. 
The final tables days started later than the normal 2pm start times to accommodate prime ESPN primetime. The final 9 and 3 tables were record length this year.  They should have started at 2pm anyways.   Miles stayed out late thinking he could sleep in longer. Too bad that never happens in Vegas.  Miles whining about fatigue was incredibly weak. Everyone is tired after playing that long the next day.

Users who are viewing this thread