What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kerryon Johnson Player Spotlight (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
Kerryon my wayward son! No team typifies "in search of runners" like the Lions. It's been more than a decade since the Lions had a 1,000-yard rusher. Hard to imagine the same team that gave us Barry Sanders is now incapable of producing a fantasy star at running back. The Lions hope they've broken the curse with the selection of Kerryon Johnson in this year's draft. But Johnson's path is far from assured. LeGarrette Blount signed. Theo Riddick remains. Ameer Abdullah remains (although his spot seems tenuous). And new head coach Matt Patricia is used to a committee approach from his long stint mentoring under Bill Belichick. Yet, on pure talent, Johnson could be the cream that rises to the top. How are you approaching Kerryon this season? Are you willing to lump him into the mix with other rookies like Ronald Jones, Royce Freeman, and Derrius Guice? Or is he a bigger reach because of the Lions' tendencies and the veteran-laden depth chart? 

I'd say there's a good chance he ends up the guy in Detroit.  a 31-year old Blount and Theo Riddick (3.4 ypc career) are much less of a threat than it might appear at first glance.

the Lions have invested a lot in the offensive line.

worth the risk where you can get him in drafts right now.

I'd say there's a good chance he ends up the guy in Detroit.  a 31-year old Blount and Theo Riddick (3.4 ypc career) are much less of a threat than it might appear at first glance.

the Lions have invested a lot in the offensive line.

worth the risk where you can get him in drafts right now.
Couple this with the fact that in 7 losses last year, Lions gave up 31.3 PPG, and I suspect controlling game flow via a sustained ground attack will be a priority for Patricia.  Lions finished 31st in rushing attempts last year.  Would be stunned to see that repeated.

Will he wind up the guy?  I think his path to playing time is there for the taking no doubt.  But Patricia knows exactly what Blount is...not so much with Kerryon, so he does have a low floor.  But he’ll be a Round 5 ADP in 5-6 weeks.

Lions offense could really soar this year. Gotta figure goal line works goes to Blount and most 3rd down passing situations go to Riddick. So KJ is capped for this year a little. But if he can be the early down guy that they moved up in the draft to get, I don't see why he can't be a ROY candidate if there were such an award for people not named Barkley.  I think I like him more than Jones, Chubb, or Michel in 2018. Guice I'm not sure and I like Penny more.

I posted this in another Kerryon thread, but anyone else concerned about his pedestrian YPC average in college compared to other top RB's?

one of the toughest players to project for.

:blackdot:
Agreed- there is a pretty wide range of outcomes and a lot of factors to justify almost any kind of workload and outcome. The positives: high pick, traded up to get him, weak competition at RB, good offense, potentially good o-line. Negatives: wasn't evaluated by many in the industry as a guy worthy of such a high pick, Lions have used a committee approach, he may not get many passes and Blount could steal GL work. 

barackdhouse said:
Lions offense could really soar this year. Gotta figure goal line works goes to Blount and most 3rd down passing situations go to Riddick. So KJ is capped for this year a little. But if he can be the early down guy that they moved up in the draft to get, I don't see why he can't be a ROY candidate if there were such an award for people not named Barkley.  I think I like him more than Jones, Chubb, or Michel in 2018. Guice I'm not sure and I like Penny more.
I don’t know this for sure, but I would think limiting Riddick’s time on the field might be a goal for DET moving forward.  He’s got a 3.4 career YPC.

They clearly like him, I don't think anybody expected him to be drafted as high as he was, and they traded up to get him. If anybody breaks out in this backfield, I'd bet on it being him. That said, Riddick is an excellent 3rd down back, and Blount has made a habit in recent years of getting more work than expected. 

Johnson isn't a guy who I'm targeting at all, and I'm ok if that ends up being a mistake. The Lions haven't run well in years, and while they changed at HC, they didn't at OC, and I expect that is because they are mostly happy with how the offense has performed. 

I'll say 800 yards and 4 TD's. Optimally a flex option, but I think most leagues will have someone who likes him a lot more than I do.

I don’t know this for sure, but I would think limiting Riddick’s time on the field might be a goal for DET moving forward.  He’s got a 3.4 career YPC.
They definitely don't want Theo running the ball much. He's a pass catching back who is good at getting open in tight spaces and picking up extra yards when 1 on 1 with a defeder. He doesn't have a skillset for much else. 

They definitely don't want Theo running the ball much. He's a pass catching back who is good at getting open in tight spaces and picking up extra yards when 1 on 1 with a defeder. He doesn't have a skillset for much else. 
I think part of the problem the Lions have with their personnel is how Blount/Riddick are so one-dimensional that their mere presence on the field gives away pass/run look.

Riddick has carried the ball on just a shade lower than 20% of his offensive snaps the last two years.  And yet still managed just a 3 point something YPC.

Blount carried the ball on 53% of his offensive snaps the last two seasons (obviously with two different teams) but offers absolutely nothing in the passing game.

So the degree the Lions can truly alternate between Blount/Riddick without a healthy dose of Kerryon, seems limited. And quite frankly, I see Riddick taking a backseat.  He’s part of the problem there.

Lions RB & Lions 2nd round pick.  That's already 2 strikes.  I'll let someone else take him.

I know - they should add me to the staff.

Users who are viewing this thread