What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Carson Wentz Player Spotlight (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
Carson Wentz played a huge part in the best season in the history of my football fandom. Although he wasn't on the field for the playoffs, the Eagles never would have gotten there (as the No. 1 seed) without Wentz' MVP-caliber play before tearing multiple ligaments. Entering 2018, Wentz is one of three highly divisive but potentially elite fantasy quarterbacks, along with Houston's DeShaun Watson (torn ACL) and Andrew Luck (shoulder). All three, if healthy, can deliver not only No. 1 fantasy value but vie for the overall #1 ranking at the position. Yet, none are surefire bets for health. Luck hasn't thrown a ball of consequence nearly two years, and Watson and Wentz hurt themselves running the ball -- which is a big part of what makes them effective. Focusing back to Wentz, we're not going to get an all clear on his injuries until late in the preseason, at best. Yet fantasy owners seem willing to draft him as their No. 1 and hope for a Week One return. Is that wise? Even if you think Wentz will be healthy and play 16 games, his 2017 stat line screams regression. His touchdown rate (like Watson's) is unsustainable. Will the Eagles increase the pass/run ratio this year in Wentz' third season? Why should/would they break from a Super Bowl winning formula? Where do you stand? Is Wentz a clear No. 1 for you? If so, where would you draft him? 

Of the 3 QB's coming off IR, I like Wentz the most. He's got the best all around offense around him, and he's also got a QB worth handcuffing. Foles is likely a startable QB if Wentz misses the first game or 2, and is available as a last round pick.

The supporting cast was upgraded in my opinion, as Mike Wallace is a much better WR than Torrey Smith, and Jay Ajayi won't be learning the offense on the fly. That said, Wentz will likely be less productive, as they may run more, and I'd agree the TD rate was unsustainable. 

Wentz is my QB5 right now, I expect similar yardage, and a few fewer TD's. 

Most people think Carson Wentz's TD pass percentage will go down and it probably will. But I don't think it will go down very much based on how the Eagles run their offense. Keep in mind that if you look at the games Foles started last year, throwing out the Raider game because of extremely windy conditions, and throwing out the Dallas game because he only played 1 quarter with a very vanilla offense, his TD pass percentage against the Giants, Falcons, Vikings, and Patriots was 7.0% which would have ranked 3rd to Wentz and Watson among QB's last year. So the Eagles are very good at scheming to get receivers open in the red zone. A perfect example is the Ertz TD to win the super bowl. The Eagles lined up in a formation that they had lined up in earlier in the game. There was a defender on Ertz and the safety was shading towards Ertz because Clement was on his side of the field. Prior to the snap, Clement went in motion to the other side of the field, taking the safety with him. This left Ertz one-on-one for his slant over the middle which was converted into a TD.

Even if you include the Raider and Cowboy games, Foles TD pass percentage of 5.7% ranks 6th last year. Unless you think the loss of Reich and Defilipo will have a significant impact on Wentz and the Eagles offense, I think the Eagles will still be able to throw a significant number of TD passes this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread