What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should The Steelers Sign LeVeon Bell To New Long Term Deal? (1 Viewer)

If you're the Steelers, do you sign him to a new long term deal or risk the holdout?

• Definitely sign him to new long term deal

Votes: 10 10.4%
  • Probably sign him to new long term deal

Votes: 13 13.5%
  • On the fence

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Probably DO NOT sign him to new long term deal

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Definitely DO NOT sign him to new long term deal

Votes: 33 34.4%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Lots of talk today about Bell.

He wants a new long term deal. The Steelers want to sign him to a franchise tender paying him 14.5 million this year.

If you're making a decision in the best interest of the Steelers, do you sign him to a new long term deal or risk the holdout?

I voted Probably DO NOT because he's asking too much money for the contract to be in the best interest of the Steelers.

If it is me I franchise him once more and give him a good 450 touches this year. Next year I look elsewhere. I've seen where he wants a deal averaging a minimum of that $14.5 million per season. You can't afford to pay your rb twice as much as everyone else, he may be the best but he isn't worth it.

At this point no.

Previously, had he not had injury and suspension issues, for sure. Right now it seems to not make sense for the club.

Would have been great if they could have agreed with him two years ago but once that passed I would pass on giving him the long term deal he seeks as well.

Got to ask yourself if he's not happy playing one year for $14M guaranteed what kind of guarantees would he be looking for in a contract that actually pacified him? He's often said he wants to re-set the RB market which is a fine goal for a player but as a team I'd not really be that excited about re-setting the RB market.

As talented as he is, and as well as he fits the Steelers offense, it simply isn't worth paying any RB the kind of money that Lev Bell is looking for.  Add in the injury history and suspension history, and I honestly am kind of surprised that the Steelers have offered what they have(if the reports are to be believed).  He has over 1500 touches over his 5 seasons and his perceived value is decreasing every year.  I think he will ultimately regret not signing the deal that the Steelers offered last year.

Ben is getting old and has been beat up.  He has a couple of years left.  I would sign Bell to a contract to make a run at a SB for the next 2 years. 

Ben is getting old and has been beat up.  He has a couple of years left.  I would sign Bell to a contract to make a run at a SB for the next 2 years. 
This is where I am on the fence. If Ben stays with the team for another 1-2 seasons, why not sign bell to a contract that makes him cut-able after 2 years with minimal cap hit and then make a run at it for the next 2 years. Win what you can. Starting over at RB, unless you hit in the draft or FA, makes it difficult to really compete for that super bowl title. Yeldon might be a similar back who can have success in that same scheme, and he comes a lot cheaper. 

I understand this could cripple the Steelers, so it all depends what Bell wants. If he wants a massive massive deal, then I say yeah go pound sand. If he wants a big contract, then maybe consider that. Make it team friendly somehow so you can move on after 2 or 3 years

You can't afford to pay your rb twice as much as everyone else
Of course you can.  I certainly understand the argument of not being willing to pay him that much because of where the RB market is, but "can't afford to pay him that" is silly.  There are a lot of players on good teams making that kind of money and giving back much less of a return to their team.

The Eagles just won a Super Bowl while paying Alshon Jeffery that kind of money for 789 receiving yards.

If it is me I franchise him once more and give him a good 450 touches this year. Next year I look elsewhere. I've seen where he wants a deal averaging a minimum of that $14.5 million per season. You can't afford to pay your rb twice as much as everyone else, he may be the best but he isn't worth it.
You can and this is an outlier. Almost all the best backs in the league are still on rookie deals. The running back position is going up in pay. Gurley, Hunt, Zeke, David, Johnson, Kamara, Gordon, Fournette etc.

As talented as he is, and as well as he fits the Steelers offense, it simply isn't worth paying any RB the kind of money that Lev Bell is looking for.  Add in the injury history and suspension history, and I honestly am kind of surprised that the Steelers have offered what they have(if the reports are to be believed).  He has over 1500 touches over his 5 seasons and his perceived value is decreasing every year.  I think he will ultimately regret not signing the deal that the Steelers offered last year.
You might be right, but what was the guaranteed money? I couldn't find it, but he already got 26 million guaranteed these past 2 years by turning down that offer so if it was around 40 million then he only needs to since a contract next year with at least 15 million guaranteed money to be ahead. I remember a poster on these boards saying that if Bell is suspended tomorrow then it will be the same as anyone else. 4 games, so his suspension risk is no different then anyone else. His injury risk is no worse than any other running back either, he missed 3 games his rookie year due to a foot injury, he missed 10 games in 2015 and 3 games in 16 and  1 game in 17. I know in 17 he was just sitting out for rest in week 17, in 16 the 1st two were for suspension and the last game I don't remember if it was for injury or rest.

I just don't think that you ultimately win in today's NFL with the running game and paying a RB a bunch of money when their production is some of the easiest to replace at cheaper rates just isn't a good way to win long term. If Big Ben gets hurt and/or retires, that team has no shot at a Super Bowl. No use handicapping your team by giving a RB a ton of money only to barely make the playoffs or go 7-9 and miss the playoffs.

I just don't think that you ultimately win in today's NFL with the running game and paying a RB a bunch of money when their production is some of the easiest to replace at cheaper rates just isn't a good way to win long term. If Big Ben gets hurt and/or retires, that team has no shot at a Super Bowl. No use handicapping your team by giving a RB a ton of money only to barely make the playoffs or go 7-9 and miss the playoffs.
I mostly agree, but WR's barely getting 1,000 yards (with a lot less physical abuse) are getting $15 million a year while Bell is churning out 2,000+ yard seasons and people seem content to say $8 million is ample and sufficient for a RB. On top of that, top WR's can usually play almost twice as long (or at a minimum significantly longer) than RB's can.

As a Steelers fan, Bell is literally the stupidest person to ever put on a jersey.  He DECLINED 5 YEARS 70 MILLION WITH 30 MILLION GUARANTEED.  He won't get more on the open market with suspension risk, drug history, and injury concerns as he gets older.  Good riddance.  I just hope that Connor or Samuels shows something preseason and Tomlin can play them week 1-6 THEN use Bell to keep him fresh.  If I had the choice, Bell wouldn't play at all til week 3 minimum if those boys look decent.  

You can and this is an outlier. Almost all the best backs in the league are still on rookie deals. The running back position is going up in pay. Gurley, Hunt, Zeke, David, Johnson, Kamara, Gordon, Fournette etc.
This is true - it's shockingly extreme. The top 10 RBs in redraft ADP are all on their rookie contract or some tag or tender. The highest ranked redraft fantasy RB who has reached his second contract is Devonta Freeman, RB11, who is getting $8.3M/yr.

Also in the top 24 in redraft ADP are Jerick McKinnon (RB13, $7.5M/yr), LeSean McCoy (RB16, $8.0M/yr), and Mark Ingram (RB24, $4.0M/yr). And that's it. None of the top 10 and just 4 of the top 24 fantasy RBs have reached their second contract.

We're going to see some massive changes to the RB contract landscape as more of the top guys hit free agency over the next few years.

As a Steelers fan, Bell is literally the stupidest person to ever put on a jersey.  He DECLINED 5 YEARS 70 MILLION WITH 30 MILLION GUARANTEED.  He won't get more on the open market with suspension risk, drug history, and injury concerns as he gets older.  Good riddance.  I just hope that Connor or Samuels shows something preseason and Tomlin can play them week 1-6 THEN use Bell to keep him fresh.  If I had the choice, Bell wouldn't play at all til week 3 minimum if those boys look decent.  
I posted this in the other Bell thread, but I think his suspension risk is the same as everyone else 4 games if he gets popped. Where are you getting 5 for 70? I see 5 years at an average of 12 million a year with the 1st 3 years being worth 42. Only 30 million in guarantee though. He just got 26 million in guarantee in the last 2 years since he declined that offer. All that matters in the NFL is guaranteed money because you can be cut at any time.

As for the bolded statement you can't do this unless you want to start alienating players on the team, and free agents from coming there. Plus I am pretty sure the union would have a field day if you didn't play Bell because he wouldn't sign your contract offer.

Edit: I posted in this thread too. Sorry for being redundant. Too many Bell threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're going to see some massive changes to the RB contract landscape as more of the top guys hit free agency over the next few years.
The issue is the shelf life of RB's. For guys that play 4 years of college and become first round picks, teams will have them for low dollars for 4 years and the fifth year option for relatively low dollars. That's 5 years of team control from the rookie contract. Add in two years of franchise tags and that's 7 seasons. I believe the average career of a RB in the NFL is 3.5 years. Teams can pretty much take a player's years of peak production and burn him up before the RB hits free agency . . . at 28 or 29 with little hope of a big pay day by that point. Given the system and rules currently in place, I don't see how that is avoidable. Maybe the solution is to eliminate the franchise tag, but that hasn't happen in 25 years since it was created.

I posted this in the other Bell thread, but I think his suspension risk is the same as everyone else 4 games if he gets popped. Where are you getting 5 for 70? I see 5 years at an average of 12 million a year with the 1st 3 years being worth 42. Only 30 million in guarantee though. He just got 26 million in guarantee in the last 2 years since he declined that offer. All that matters in the NFL is guaranteed money because you can be cut at any time.

As for the bolded statement you can't do this unless you want to start alienating players on the team, and free agents from coming there. Plus I am pretty sure the union would have a field day if you didn't play Bell because he wouldn't sign your contract offer.

Edit: I posted in this thread too. Sorry for being redundant. Too many Bell threads.
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1018986055884779520

Ian Rapaport for 5 years 70 million.  My guess is he wanted a shorter contract than 5 years with more guarantee, which I totally understand as he would want to cash in one more time. 

But as far as not playing him, I'm sure there are tons of excuses an NFL team could find to bench a player.  Teams don't get in trouble for playing guys they want to see handle work, the only difference here would be Bell would likely be coming back to play which makes him a higher injury risk without football work before an actual game.  I can imagine some easy excuses for playing others rather than Bell.  Hell even saying "reward the guys that are here" seems reasonable.  It's a job, and the Steelers have every right to not use someone.  Same as if my boss decided to use someone else for specific things to get them acclimated to replace me.  It's no different.  

Ian Rapaport for 5 years 70 million.  My guess is he wanted a shorter contract than 5 years with more guarantee, which I totally understand as he would want to cash in one more time. 

But as far as not playing him, I'm sure there are tons of excuses an NFL team could find to bench a player.  Teams don't get in trouble for playing guys they want to see handle work, the only difference here would be Bell would likely be coming back to play which makes him a higher injury risk without football work before an actual game.  I can imagine some easy excuses for playing others rather than Bell.  Hell even saying "reward the guys that are here" seems reasonable.  It's a job, and the Steelers have every right to not use someone.  Same as if my boss decided to use someone else for specific things to get them acclimated to replace me.  It's no different.  
Okay I hadn't seen the offer this year, thanks for that link. I was talking about the 5 for 60 he got offered last year. So he is 16 million behind the guaranteed offer after the 1st year and I am guessing that 30 million was guaranteed over 3 years. So if he signs a deal next year that has more than 16 million in guarantees he is ahead. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

It is very different than your boss, I have no idea if you are in a union or not, but if they didn't play him he would easily win a grievance against the Steelers by citing they aren't playing him in an attempt to deflate his value in a contract year. Especially since Bell proved last year he could handle not being in camp or preseason and be fine. We will have to agree to disagree on that this part. Thanks for the contract update though.

It depends how the money is structured. I mean he’s getting over 14 million this year and I’m sure he’ll get more than 16 million in guaranteed money as a free agency so I can see the logic to it.

if they didn't play him he would easily win a grievance against the Steelers by citing they aren't playing him in an attempt to deflate his value in a contract year. 
how much different is that from Kaepernick suing for not being signed thinking it's his protest not his game play? 

I'm not so certain you could "easily win" that argument. 

We went with rbbc this year to preserve bells legs, because of the matchups, because it gave us the best chance to win. 

What's stopping AP from suing the Saints from not playing him last year prior to trading him?

I just find it tough to agree that he would "easily win" that lawsuit. seems the burden of proof would be impossible for Bell

Quick note to say: Thanks for the good discussion in here.

I read the Twitter comments on Rapoports post and the first three posts were "should have donated to the troops" followed by "your an idiot" followed by "do you love isis?" or something like that. 

:doh:  

God Bless the Shark Pool. 

how much different is that from Kaepernick suing for not being signed thinking it's his protest not his game play? 

I'm not so certain you could "easily win" that argument. 

We went with rbbc this year to preserve bells legs, because of the matchups, because it gave us the best chance to win. 

What's stopping AP from suing the Saints from not playing him last year prior to trading him?

I just find it tough to agree that he would "easily win" that lawsuit. seems the burden of proof would be impossible for Bell
The guys you are arguing for aren't good anymore. Bell is still one of the best and he is matchup proof and has a proven track record that he gives them the best chance to win.

He has all the proof in the world, his track record, contract negotiations the last 2 years, people have been putting up stats in both threads showing how much better the Steelers are with him as opposed when he is out. It is also one thing to give him a breather and keeps his legs fresh as opposed to not playing him at all. He would easily win.

Now if he showed up out of shape, bad demeanor, played horrible the first couple games then bench him and it is no problem.

Quick note to say: Thanks for the good discussion in here.

I read the Twitter comments on Rapoports post and the first three posts were "should have donated to the troops" followed by "your an idiot" followed by "do you love isis?" or something like that. 

:doh:  

God Bless the Shark Pool. 
The other thing I find discouraging is several sites have started eliminating comments altogether (ESPN for one).

I mostly agree, but WR's barely getting 1,000 yards (with a lot less physical abuse) are getting $15 million a year while Bell is churning out 2,000+ yard seasons and people seem content to say $8 million is ample and sufficient for a RB. On top of that, top WR's can usually play almost twice as long (or at a minimum significantly longer) than RB's can.
While it sucks that RBs get abused more than WRs and have a shorter career, but that's also a great reason for why giving a long term contract to a RB that has been in the league for 5+ isn't a great idea.

And while RBs are getting paid less while producing more total yards, I'm not sure that it's a great idea to simplify to total yards. If we break it down to yards per target/touch it looks something like this when comparing say Mike Evans to Bell:

Evans: 1001 yards on 136 targets/touches, or 7.36 yards per target/touch

Bell: 1896 yards on 427 targets/touches, or 4.44 yards/touch, or about 40% less yards per target/touch

Mike Evans is going to make an average of $16.5M on his current deal. If Bell is producing 40% less per touch/target than Mike Evans, then a deal averaging about $10M per year would be pretty close to matching dollar per yard/touch or target produced.

Of course you can't just measure it exactly like that, but when you see how many yards a WR can contribute on limited looks while knowing that their production is unlikely to dip considerably until much later than a RB, and you can see why teams are willing to give so much money to good WRs.

The guys you are arguing for aren't good anymore. Bell is still one of the best and he is matchup proof and has a proven track record that he gives them the best chance to win.

He has all the proof in the world, his track record, contract negotiations the last 2 years, people have been putting up stats in both threads showing how much better the Steelers are with him as opposed when he is out. It is also one thing to give him a breather and keeps his legs fresh as opposed to not playing him at all. He would easily win.

Now if he showed up out of shape, bad demeanor, played horrible the first couple games then bench him and it is no problem.
while I agree that my example isn't the best apples to apples comparison, I still think it would be incredibly hard to prove that a rbbc wasnt the best chance to win a game, especially if they do win

while I agree that my example isn't the best apples to apples comparison, I still think it would be incredibly hard to prove that a rbbc wasnt the best chance to win a game, especially if they do win
If they are using him in a RBBC then I don't think he can do anything. Very easy to say we are getting him his touches, but we want him fresh for the playoffs and he has logged so many touches the last 5 years, but Zyphros and I were discussing not using him at all. I don't see a way he would lose that case.

While it sucks that RBs get abused more than WRs and have a shorter career, but that's also a great reason for why giving a long term contract to a RB that has been in the league for 5+ isn't a great idea.

And while RBs are getting paid less while producing more total yards, I'm not sure that it's a great idea to simplify to total yards. If we break it down to yards per target/touch it looks something like this when comparing say Mike Evans to Bell:

Evans: 1001 yards on 136 targets/touches, or 7.36 yards per target/touch

Bell: 1896 yards on 427 targets/touches, or 4.44 yards/touch, or about 40% less yards per target/touch

Mike Evans is going to make an average of $16.5M on his current deal. If Bell is producing 40% less per touch/target than Mike Evans, then a deal averaging about $10M per year would be pretty close to matching dollar per yard/touch or target produced.

Of course you can't just measure it exactly like that, but when you see how many yards a WR can contribute on limited looks while knowing that their production is unlikely to dip considerably until much later than a RB, and you can see why teams are willing to give so much money to good WRs.
Some of this is a completely different discussion. But in summary, teams can get way more yardage throwing the ball then running it. It just took a long, long time for teams to better scheme for that offensively. Similar to the NBA, where teams have figured out that 3 point shots are way more productive than 2 point shots . . . it just took them 35 years to figure it out.

Getting back to football, if I were an offensive coordinator, I would have such an exaggerated run to pass ratio, most owners and coaches couldn't handle it. I would also run no huddle a ton to limit the sub packages defenses could use and literally wear their pass rushers out. I'd pass so much that in the few times they ran the ball it would be all but guaranteed to work.

BUT . . . I'd invest my money on offense on the QB and the OL. The rest of the skill position players I'd pay peanuts and I'd get people to fit the system. They wouldn't have to be great. I think the league has only scratched the surface in terms of routes, formations, setting up coverage mismatches, etc. My team would air it out 50 times a game and score a ton of points. And the running plays would end up being QB scrambles more than called run plays.

We are already starting to see some of this. Trip receivers, picks set by receivers, tight ends out wide, extreme crossing routes, double receiving backs in the backfield, sending atypical guys in motion. Sure, the likely response will be to just blitz and get a heavy pass rush, but if these gargantuan players have to do that over and over and over and can't substitute that won't last very long. I definitely think it is possible to run an offense like that, the question is who would be bold enough to try it on a longer term basis.

But to your point on efficiency per touch, yes, receivers are going to get more bang for the buck per touch or per target. That only plays into my no rushing offensive model. I would also go for it way more on fourth down, would try fewer field goals, and be less concerned about not coming away with points when it's 4th and goal from the 1. Oh, and my team would be going for two. A lot.

As far as LB goes, it's not his fault the team gives him the ball 400 times a season. I am sure a case could be made on what percentage of touches a player gets and therefore Bell should get the biggest paycheck in the league based on usage. I don't totally dismiss some of his arguments . . . but the RB pay scale does not support his thinking (at least for now).

I'm actually surprised players don't reject long term offers more often.  I know there is a risk to shorter deals but if you stay productive and healthy you make a LOT more money being able to renegotiate every few years as contract values continue ballooning with time.  It might be one thing if contracts were gauranteed, but instead they opt for "safe" long-term deals that aren't really that safe since the guaranteed money is usually a small portion of the contract, while locking themselves out of new contracts for that whole span if they produce well.

Kirk Cousins rejected a 3 year $19 million deal heading into 2016, and then a 5 year $53 million deal heading into 2017.  Instead he played two years under the franchise tag where he earned $42 million (almost as much as the whole 5 year non-guaranteed deal was worth on its own) and then signed 3 years $78 million guaranteed for a total 5 year earnings of $120 million instead of the $53 million he was offered in a long-term deal that would have covered the same time frame.

Probably not. He's got a lot of mileage on him and the previous knee injury. Let the wheels fall off on another team. Terrible, I know, but that's how it is with Running Backs. Plus, after seeing DeAngelo Williams produce in his absence a few years ago, it leads me to believe it's more of the system than Bell.

I'm actually surprised players don't reject long term offers more often.  I know there is a risk to shorter deals but if you stay productive and healthy you make a LOT more money being able to renegotiate every few years as contract values continue ballooning with time.  It might be one thing if contracts were gauranteed, but instead they opt for "safe" long-term deals that aren't really that safe since the guaranteed money is usually a small portion of the contract, while locking themselves out of new contracts for that whole span if they produce well.

Kirk Cousins rejected a 3 year $19 million deal heading into 2016, and then a 5 year $53 million deal heading into 2017.  Instead he played two years under the franchise tag where he earned $42 million (almost as much as the whole 5 year non-guaranteed deal was worth on its own) and then signed 3 years $78 million guaranteed for a total 5 year earnings of $120 million instead of the $53 million he was offered in a long-term deal that would have covered the same time frame.
The $ for QBs keeps getting bigger and bigger though. RBs , not so much

I understand it though. The reality is most comments are awful. You guys are rock stars. 
Very true. Sometimes I would click to read the comments on ESPN, especially after reading an article with a take I thought was odd or about a situation that was different, because I was curious as to what other people thought. I almost always regretted wasting my time doing so.

I will say that team specific sites often have some of the best comment sections. The comment section at BuffaloRumblings has some great discussions and a good chunk of the folks now employed by BuffaloRumblings started just as guys making comments on the site, including the current Editor-In-Chief.

I'm surprised too.  But in Bell's specific situation, this was his chance to cash.  He didn't take that chance and I'm guessing he doesn't get that kind of offer in free agency.  Like I said, my assumption is he wanted a shorter deal to cash in again before he turned 30, but with the Steelers that just wasn't going to happen.  Kirk Cousins played it perfectly to maximize his earnings over his career, the difference being Kirk can still get paid again before his career is done, Bell cannot.  He has 1 shot at big money basically and it seems like this offer was going to be his peak value.  I don't expect a similar price next year and feel like he missed his window.  

A player is cemented in a teams history when they are one of the best in the league at their position AND they negotiate more than fair contracts.  This was more than a fair offer to someone who is a RB and he turned it down.  Lack of loyalty for a more than fair offer pisses me off.  I have no love for that type of greed when he claims he wants to be a Steeler for life.  I'm mad at him and I think he's a disrespectful little clown who thinks he's deserved more than double any other RB.  

The rest of his career is tainted by this move unless he goes on a wins multiple super bowls somewhere else to reclaim his name.  

I'm surprised too.  But in Bell's specific situation, this was his chance to cash.  He didn't take that chance and I'm guessing he doesn't get that kind of offer in free agency.  Like I said, my assumption is he wanted a shorter deal to cash in again before he turned 30, but with the Steelers that just wasn't going to happen.  Kirk Cousins played it perfectly to maximize his earnings over his career, the difference being Kirk can still get paid again before his career is done, Bell cannot.  He has 1 shot at big money basically and it seems like this offer was going to be his peak value.  I don't expect a similar price next year and feel like he missed his window.  

A player is cemented in a teams history when they are one of the best in the league at their position AND they negotiate more than fair contracts.  This was more than a fair offer to someone who is a RB and he turned it down.  Lack of loyalty for a more than fair offer pisses me off.  I have no love for that type of greed when he claims he wants to be a Steeler for life.  I'm mad at him and I think he's a disrespectful little clown who thinks he's deserved more than double any other RB.  

The rest of his career is tainted by this move unless he goes on a wins multiple super bowls somewhere else to reclaim his name.  
We don't really know what he was offered.  We have Rapoport saying it was 5 years $70 million but hedging on the statement by saying "from what I understand" first.  What is there to understand?  Either he was offered that deal or he wasn't.  Qualifying it with that seems like something you do if you think that's what was offered, but you're not really sure.

And as Florio points out, even if he really was offered that, both the missing details and the timing of it all are suspicious.  "5 year 70 million dollar deal" doesn't really mean much because we all know the guaranteed money is all that really matters.  So if the guaranteed money is only $20 or even $30 million what's the point when he will already make $14 million on the tag this year anyway?

Unless I'm missing something, Raps tweet says nothing about guaranteed money, just that it's $30mil over first 2 years. It doesn't say the 2nd year is guaranteed. That was also Bell's hang up on last year's offer, he said at some point the overall value was close but he wasn't signing a deal with only 1 year guaranteed. 

Even if it was $30mil guaranteed, I think Bell has a good chance to top that next offseason (the $14.5m he gets this season + next contract guaranteed amount), so I don't see it as a huge mistake. 

Bell in his prime > roethlisberger at this stage.  Ben is maybe the fifth best quarterback of his generation.  Bell has guys who have played on his level at times, but not year after year like he does.  

But I think that's WHY the WR's can get so much more money. And keep in mind there are only 3 WR's in the game with a $15mil cap hit this season(Evans/Fitz/Landry). Two of those are special circumstances in that CLE had the salary cap space to overpay in a trade, and Fitz is getting paid for past performance and it would likely have been in ARZ interest to be using his nearly $17mil to rebuild rather than limp toward a .500 record at best. 

Maybe that's not a coincidence. After 4-6 years of being used like a bell-cow back... how many more years do you really have left as a bell-cow back?

RB pay is going to go up(just like every other position) but unless you are in some kind of SB window, and PIT may not have any window left after this season, it's pretty tough to have that much money tied up in a position where the most successful teams in the league pay ~$2-3mil/season to their RB's.

The only non-QB that I would pay $15mil+ on a long term contract right now is Aaron Donald. And Watt IF he returns to peak form. Maybe if you found the next Revis while he was still young(Ramsey could become that). Maybe a young Megatron or Tony Gonzales?

You might be right, but what was the guaranteed money? I couldn't find it, but he already got 26 million guaranteed these past 2 years by turning down that offer so if it was around 40 million then he only needs to since a contract next year with at least 15 million guaranteed money to be ahead. I remember a poster on these boards saying that if Bell is suspended tomorrow then it will be the same as anyone else. 4 games, so his suspension risk is no different then anyone else. His injury risk is no worse than any other running back either, he missed 3 games his rookie year due to a foot injury, he missed 10 games in 2015 and 3 games in 16 and  1 game in 17. I know in 17 he was just sitting out for rest in week 17, in 16 the 1st two were for suspension and the last game I don't remember if it was for injury or rest.
The report was 30 M guaranteed.  To clarify my injury comment, that wasn't to say that Bell is injury prone, but that RBs with this workload have a history of getting injured.

But in Bell's specific situation, this was his chance to cash.  He didn't take that chance and I'm guessing he doesn't get that kind of offer in free agency.  
The reported offer was 5 years $70 million with $30 million guaranteed. This year alone he's scheduled to make close to $15MM so in essence this contract was only a 4 year extension at $56MM with only another $15MM guaranteed. As long as he has a typical Bell year he'd likely see that kind of an offer next offseason (and he could actually do better since the cap goes up and teams like the Jets and Browns have mega cap space) - so I don't think he really has much to lose here.

Rapaport's report said nothing about guaranteed money. Did someone else confirm guaranteed numbers?

The reported offer was 5 years $70 million with $30 million guaranteed. This year alone he's scheduled to make close to $15MM so in essence this contract was only a 4 year extension at $56MM with only another $15MM guaranteed. As long as he has a typical Bell year he'd likely see that kind of an offer next offseason (and he could actually do better since the cap goes up and teams like the Jets and Browns have mega cap space) - so I don't think he really has much to lose here.
One of the potential issues is that guys that had 400 touches in a season have typically ended up with a smaller workload the year after. There were 42 other RBs that had 400+ touches in a season (Bell had 406 touches last year.) Those players averaged 425 touches that year and 323 the year after. I did not include a season from Ricky Williams, as he retired temporarily the following season.

Included in that group are some guys that were iron men and had multiple seasons of 400+ touches (Emmitt, Curtis Martin, Dickerson), but there are also guys that either got hurt or kept playing but were never really the same in terms of workload or performance (Terrell, Barry Foster, Jamal Anderson, James Wilder, etc.).

The point being, Bell could be at greater risk to injury or may not have as much tread on the tire moving forward. That could impact his future earnings, especially if he were to get seriously hurt (or suspended again). That's were getting $30 or $33 million guaranteed may have been a better option that playing another year on the franchise tag.

Is running back pay going to go up - yes, but probably not by as much as you think. Do a lot of teams purposely use rbs on rookie deals due to both the pay scale and the shorter nfl careers of rbs  - yes. RB is also probably the easiest position to play instantly as a rb (except for the ones that have no idea about pass protection). I think there is a 95% chance this is Bell's last year in Pittsburgh, you just don't know when the wheels will fall off (see Demarco Murray) and it doesn't help that Bell is one F up away from being suspended for a year. Steelers are smart not to give him the long term deal.

Is running back pay going to go up - yes, but probably not by as much as you think. Do a lot of teams purposely use rbs on rookie deals due to both the pay scale and the shorter nfl careers of rbs  - yes. RB is also probably the easiest position to play instantly as a rb (except for the ones that have no idea about pass protection). I think there is a 95% chance this is Bell's last year in Pittsburgh, you just don't know when the wheels will fall off (see Demarco Murray) and it doesn't help that Bell is one F up away from being suspended for a year. Steelers are smart not to give him the long term deal.
If the Steelers didn't give Bell what he wanted last year or this year, why would anyone expect he would be happy with what they will offer him next year?

Rapaport's report said nothing about guaranteed money. Did someone else confirm guaranteed numbers?
He didn't include it in the tweet for some reason, but there's a video tweet he did with an NFL Access segment attached where he mentions the figure 33M in guarantees. This still doesn't let us know the structure of the deal, how much is guaranteed only for injury, what the signing bonus was, and whether Pittsburgh built in team options early on to get out of it or not if need be. The deal could have been structured in a way to functionally be a yearly franchise tag the Steelers get to opt in to or decline if they no longer want to pay Bell or can't. My guess is, similar to most NFL contracts they look good on the surface and make the player look bad for not accepting, but are built with loopholes for NFL teams to navigate through their cap however they need to.

Users who are viewing this thread