What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Antonio Callaway - WR Dolphins now (2 Viewers)

Mistakes are mistakes. Even if we tolerate them, the coaching staff won't and Callaway is feeling the weight of those errors.

He hasnt been good. The talent shines which is exciting and i know hes a rookie but hes run the wrong routes many many times, dropped a handful of catchable balls and has been flat out inefficient.

Antonio Callaway has pled not guilty to two charges stemming from his August citation on traffic and marijuana charges.

The case is not expected to be heard for several weeks. One of the charges is marijuana possession, which could have Callaway eventually looking at a league-mandated suspension. Callaway failed a drug test at the Combine. Oct 2 - 2:48 PM

Antonio Callaway has pled not guilty to two charges stemming from his August citation on traffic and marijuana charges.

The case is not expected to be heard for several weeks. One of the charges is marijuana possession, which could have Callaway eventually looking at a league-mandated suspension. Callaway failed a drug test at the Combine. Oct 2 - 2:48 PM
I thought the 2nd offense was the fine of a couple game checks.

There is kind of a lazy quality to his game. Still trying to figure out what went wrong on his long catch last Sunday when he was easily caught from behind. I thought he pulled a hammy or something the way he was running but i havent seen any mention of an injury. Maybe tired, not sure. 

I have to laugh a little at people questioning a raw 21 year old rookie thrust into a starting lineup with a rookie QB who's still learning too and then wondering why he has stuff to learn about the offense and running routes. My god people, trust the talent and let him develop a little before you start doubting him.

He hasnt been good. The talent shines which is exciting and i know hes a rookie but hes run the wrong routes many many times, dropped a handful of catchable balls and has been flat out inefficient.
Agreed.  He's been in position to make a slew of plays and just hasn't performed well enough yet.  Something has to give soon though...either he has to capitalize on his opportunities or those targets will decrease.

I have to laugh a little at people questioning a raw 21 year old rookie thrust into a starting lineup with a rookie QB who's still learning too and then wondering why he has stuff to learn about the offense and running routes. My god people, trust the talent and let him develop a little before you start doubting him.
Fair point.  I'm just not sure the Browns organization will be as keen on giving a talented wideout as much rope after the Josh Gordon experience.  It's a new regime, but most of these guys cut their teeth in Green Bay and that group didn't put up with much off-the-field non-sense there.

contemplating dropping this guy for Coutee. 

He has the talent, but just not sure we'll be able to trust him as anything more than a low WR3/ flex until he can be more consistent. 

trader jake said:
Fair point.  I'm just not sure the Browns organization will be as keen on giving a talented wideout as much rope after the Josh Gordon experience.  It's a new regime, but most of these guys cut their teeth in Green Bay and that group didn't put up with much off-the-field non-sense there.
To be clear, I think there's a huge difference between behavioral issues and things like running the wrong route or dropping a pass as a rookie that's trying to learn quickly and play fast. If he ends up with drug problems or legal trouble, sure, that should be an issue. But for people to start to write him off because he's learning the ropes of being a WR in the NFL, I'd say that's nonsense.

In a redraft, he's still a high upside flier, but one who has a starting job (at least for now).  In dynasty, he's a perfect guy to have on the bench.

4th&inches said:
contemplating dropping this guy for Coutee. 

He has the talent, but just not sure we'll be able to trust him as anything more than a low WR3/ flex until he can be more consistent. 
Good comp..I think I'd rather have Coutee.

I understand why all you guys are so down on him but realize that he is a Rob rookie who didn't play last year. Additionally he is now with a new quarterback. He is physically the most talented receiver on the Browns and I expect game script to lead to many high scoring games as the Cleveland's defense has been mediocre to date.

I think in any 12-team or big league he is a must own. I realize it bye weeks are coming up and he may be hard to trust but I suspect he is the type of receiver who could be a League winner as he finds his game over the course of the season and probably blows up with a great schedule over the last half of the season.

Antonio Callaway (knee) is not practicing Wednesday.

It's the first time this season Callaway has been listed on the injury report. He was off to the side riding a stationary bike on Wednesday. The Browns have talked about dialing back his snaps potentially due to a number of miscues and drops. We'll see if he's back on the field on Thursday.

Source: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter 

Oct 3 - 1:58 PM

Browns coach Hue Jackson has a "great level of optimism" Antonio Callaway (knee) will play in Week 5 against the Ravens.

Callaway was injured on what should have been a 59-yard touchdown last week. The Browns held him out of Wednesday's practice, but it sounds like that was on the precautionary side. There's been talk Callaway's snaps could be scaled back after struggling with drops, but it's hard to see him losing much playing time. We should get more clarity on Callaway's injury status Thursday.

Source: Akron Beacon-Journal 

Oct 3 - 5:40 PM

Starting him over Lesean McCoy and Derrick Henry in one league.
Dropped Mike Williams to pick him up and start him over Philip Lindsay and Calvin Ridley in another.

I just can't shake the image of him getting overthrown on two wide open deep balls the past two-weeks. Those are 10+ point plays by themselves right there. Feel like this is the week he finally connects on one of those and goes off big league. If this game was in Baltimore, it would be a different story.

It's my FLEX spot and I started Eric Ebron in both leagues, so I'm taking a shot at a home run. He's going to see more targets than all those guys, imo.

He's sitting in waivers right now. After last week's drops, think this is the time to nab him. Don't think his value will be lower.

And look at this schedule:

* LAC

* @TB

* @PIT

* KC

* @ ATL

The above pass D's are ALL at the bottom. LAC has some talent in the secondary, but hasn't performed well so far. Other than that, TB/PIT/KC/ATL are all miserable.

Baker and Calloway are going to be hooking up deep here. After this stretch, everyone will be kicking themselves for dropping him.

Starting him over Lesean McCoy and Derrick Henry in one league.
Dropped Mike Williams to pick him up and start him over Philip Lindsay and Calvin Ridley in another.

I just can't shake the image of him getting overthrown on two wide open deep balls the past two-weeks. Those are 10+ point plays by themselves right there. Feel like this is the week he finally connects on one of those and goes off big league. If this game was in Baltimore, it would be a different story.

It's my FLEX spot and I started Eric Ebron in both leagues, so I'm taking a shot at a home run. He's going to see more targets than all those guys, imo.
Tough matchup this week.

Browns vs. Ravens: NFL Week 5 Preview

Secondary

The Ravens’ two starting cornerbacks have been Brandon Carr and Marlon Humphrey, with Tavon Young covering the slot. However, this is a case where the rich will get richer this week. The Ravens rank 4th in the NFL in passing yards allowed, and now they are getting Jimmy Smith back, who served a four-game suspension. Baltimore’s starting safeties are Eric Weddle and Tony Jefferson, a tandem I still attest is the best in the NFL.
Pro Football Focus‏Verified account @PFF

FollowFollow @PFF

The Ravens coverage unit has been very good so far in 2018, but the return of Jimmy Smith can elevate them to the best group in the NFL. https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-jimmy-smiths-return-gives-ravens-one-of-the-nfls-top-cornerback-units-in-2018 … (via @PFF_Gordon)

I dropped him to snag D. Foreman. Hoping for a not so great day vs Ravens, then I might go back and get him.  That schedule is enticing.

Anybody still hanging in with Antonio?  I think he would be difficult to start, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a breakout game.  They will have to score points to keep up with LAC most likely and they are running out of other options at WR.

Browns WR Derrick Willies (shoulder) is questionable for Week 6 against the Chargers.

Willies was a late addition to the injury report after landing awkwardly on the shoulder on Friday. An UDFA rookie out of Texas Tech, Willies was thrust into duty last week after Rashard Higgins left with a sprained MCL. He played 26 snaps, catching 3-of-5 targets for 61 yards. If Willies has to sit with Higgins already out, the Browns will be down to Rod Streater as their third wideout.

If Willies can't play then the only other WR on the roster besides Landry and Callaway is Rod Streater and someone called "Damion Ratley". I think you almost have to give Callaway 70% usage at that point. Still holding but not starting him this week, my flexes are Coutee vs. Buffalo and Lamar Miller. 

EDIT: Just for future refence, we may see a Damion Ratley page coming soon. Holy schnikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm starting him this week.  The others Browns WRs are all banged up and I'd expect to see Heyward all over Landry.  Callaway should get plenty of looks against a defense that can be beaten deep.

They'll try to run too, but I'd expect Callaway and Njoku to see more action unless they use Duke out of the backfield.

I'm starting him this week.  The others Browns WRs are all banged up and I'd expect to see Heyward all over Landry.  Callaway should get plenty of looks against a defense that can be beaten deep.

They'll try to run too, but I'd expect Callaway and Njoku to see more action unless they use Duke out of the backfield.
Thank you for this.  I really want to myself and I agree with your logic.  Would be over Jordy or Godwin in my case. 

Browns WR Derrick Willies (shoulder) is out for Week 6 against the Chargers.

Willies fractured his collarbone in Friday's practice. He's likely headed to injured reserve. The Browns are also down Rashard Higgins this week, locking Jarvis Landry and Antonio Callaway into a heavy target share.
:popcorn:

Just threw Callaway in the lineup over Jordy. 

Thank you for this.  I really want to myself and I agree with your logic.  Would be over Jordy or Godwin in my case. 
Personally, I'd start him fairly easily over Jordy. Jordy might have a nice game, but the same could be said for Cooper, or Cook, or Bryant in the passing game.  Callaway has only Landry and Njoku really to compete with, and I expect Landry will have an elite CB to deal with.  

Godwin would be tempting just because of his matchup.  No idea which way I'd go on that one, but again, he'll have more competition for catches in Evans, Jackson, Brate, and potentially Howard too.

It's all a crapshoot anyways, but my gut tells me that Callaway is going to have a nice matchup this week assuming Heyward follows Landry. Any way to know this?

This offense will still perform, and I think Calloway is mid-low end flex that might be useful but I don't see the consistency in targets -- for him or anyone else on the team -- to really be dependable in terms of his floor.

Some guy dropped Jeffrey for Calloway after week 2. His loss, my gain.

Callaway is getting a lot of deep balls thrown his direction.

Go to the link to see the top ten leaders in the entire league for air yards per target.

Now all he needs to do is start catching those deep targets. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

NFL leaders in air yards per target

NFL Matchup on ESPN‏Verified account @NFLMatchup

FollowFollow @NFLMatchup

These are your DEEP BALL guys in the #NFL right now.

Callaway is getting a lot of deep balls thrown his direction.

Go to the link to see the top ten leaders in the entire league for air yards per target.

Now all he needs to do is start catching those deep targets. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

NFL leaders in air yards per target

NFL Matchup on ESPN‏Verified account @NFLMatchup

FollowFollow @NFLMatchup

These are your DEEP BALL guys in the #NFL right now.
Targets and air yards and all those predictive stats seem to like him. However, when I watch him he looks like a mess. What do we do?

Targets and air yards and all those predictive stats seem to like him. However, when I watch him he looks like a mess. What do we do?
He looks like he plays really fast but his body moves faster than his mind right now. He's thinking out there instead of reacting. Once things slow down and he gets more comfortable, things could get interesting.

He doesn't look like a mess to me, he looks like a raw 21 year old rookie.

He looks like he plays really fast but his body moves faster than his mind right now. He's thinking out there instead of reacting. Once things slow down and he gets more comfortable, things could get interesting.

He doesn't look like a mess to me, he looks like a raw 21 year old rookie.
Right that is what I see. I think I am just looking at it from a redraft perspective and you are likely on a dynasty view. 

Right that is what I see. I think I am just looking at it from a redraft perspective and you are likely on a dynasty view. 
Part of the problem the past few weeks is that the Browns defense has been decent. As in, they've been in most of these games, resulting in conservative play-calling.

If game flow has them playing from behind, I can see him having a big game. With that said, that  could be this week against the San Diego, Super Chargers!

Yes, I know they're not in San Diego anymore. Something else I noticed last week, was that they threw him a screen pass and he got a first down off it (iirc). Screen passes are eventually going to open things up downfield but more importantly they're high % receptions and he has the wheels to bust a big play off one.

I feel like in a bout of "fantasy karma" this could he the week he goes off. He seems like the kind of guy that RIGHT when everyone else has given up on him, he houses a long touchdown and becomes a waiver wire darling again.

I think this could he the week but I've been saying that for a few weeks. If San Diego gets a lead, pass- pass- pass-

Double cover Jarvis Landry. Now who's open? Njoku and Callaway. Maybe Duke Johnson but let's not get crazy here...

Are you sure heyward travels to the slot? Landry is still playing mostly from the slot and most of these shadow corners don’t travel to the slot which means he will either play one side or shadow Calloway but I don’t know if Calloway is considered someone they need to shadow. 

Here's what Silva says about slot receivers vs LAC:

Slot receivers to face the Bolts included Jordy Nelson (4/43/1) - Seth Roberts (4/41/0) - Cooper Kupp (4/71/1) in the last three weeks, while PFF has charged Chargers slot CB Desmond King with 17-of-19 targets allowed (90%) for 145 yards and a touchdown. Slot man Landry is entrenched as Mayfield’s go-to guy. . …

I go with Ellie on this and say Heyward probably plays a side with no particular attention paid to Callaway.

Are you sure heyward travels to the slot? Landry is still playing mostly from the slot and most of these shadow corners don’t travel to the slot which means he will either play one side or shadow Calloway but I don’t know if Calloway is considered someone they need to shadow. 
Good point.   Opponents can put their cb1 on the speedster and double Landry in the middle.  Damn Gordon. 

What I saw is that on fly patterns the DBs are muscling him to the sidelines where his sole route responsibility is to force the route more towards the hash away from the sideline so has room to adjust and give the QB more field to work with/throw to because the ball will be thrown to the sideline.  

The other issue is hands.  He looked good on that deep ball that TT threw where it looked like he overthrew him where Callaway was able to catch up with the ball and make a fantastic catch but the ball was from Ty and it had a high arc and was falling/dropping when he made the reception.  Baker throws with higher velocity and the trajectory of his balls are lower and I think the spin rate must be different because Callaway is not the only Cleveland receiver who has been dropping balls after the team made the switch to Baker.  Callaway has been getting a lot of deep balls thrown his way so his drops have been more glaring but he does drop more than the others.

Bottom line, he needs to improve his route running and he's got to improve catching the ball once it gets to him.  With Rashard Higgins injured and now Willies out the Browns don't have a ton of options so hopefully he starts to improve.

Here's what Silva says about slot receivers vs LAC:

Slot receivers to face the Bolts included Jordy Nelson (4/43/1) - Seth Roberts (4/41/0) - Cooper Kupp (4/71/1) in the last three weeks, while PFF has charged Chargers slot CB Desmond King with 17-of-19 targets allowed (90%) for 145 yards and a touchdown. Slot man Landry is entrenched as Mayfield’s go-to guy. . …

I go with Ellie on this and say Heyward probably plays a side with no particular attention paid to Callaway.
From what I saw, I'm relatively sure that Heyward followed Cooper everywhere last week, including the slot. Heyward came into the league as a slot corner, after all.  Im not sure where to find out if he's serves as a true shadow CB who follows the #1 everywhere. None of those guys Silva listed are the team's #1 WR.

So, slot receivers may have success against the Chargers when Heyward is outside matching up against a team's #1 WR. 

Good point.   Opponents can put their cb1 on the speedster and double Landry in the middle.  Damn Gordon. 
Man, imagine if Gordon was still with the browns getting Calloways targets plus a few more cuz he’s josh Gordon...wr1 and Baker would be a qb1 easily.

Starting with confidence. If he doesn't produce this week, it's off to the glue factory...

Antonio Callaway caught 2-of-10 targets for nine yards in Sunday's Week 6 loss to the Chargers.

Callaway once again struggled with missed opportunities as he lost a potential 45-yard touchdown in the sun in the first quarter and then had another straight drop on a potential long-gainer in the second half. He did secure a two-point conversion after the Browns' lone touchdown on the day. Callaway will continue to be force-fed targets as Cleveland has limited healthy bodies available at the wide receiver position, but he has caught just 8-of-24 targets over the past three weeks 85 yards. Callaway will be an all-or-nothing option against a giving Tampa Bay defense in Week 7.
TWO. OF. TEN.

I don't know if he wears a visor or what but he's having a horrible time tracking balls in the air.  It's mind-numbingly frustrating because he's losing huge chunk gains every which way possible.

He is straight trash.  Can’t believe I dropped Kirk to grab him today.   He’s a huge tease BC of the opportunity in front of him, his raw athleticism, his qb, and his schedule.  But the dude can’t catch.  Pretty important trait for a wr.  To the ww he goes.  

Users who are viewing this thread