What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Mike Gesicki, CIN (1 Viewer)

So I have this guy in a redraft PPR and he's on my bench as I have Fant as my primary TE. He is even worth stashing. I know it's only week 1 but it's not like he lit it up last year, no catches week 1, etc....not looking good. I could use the spot for a flyer on a WR need. any opinion?

He's my #1 TE in a rebuild I took over in the off-season :bag:

gonna be a loonnnggg year in that league.

Many sites post Gesicki's snap count for the game: 21.

Blocking (lack thereof) being the reason for the low number.  While it is not much to grasp onto, if anyone only needs the slightest nudge to step back from the railing, there is this from CBSSports:

September 13, 2021 7:40 PM ET

Dolphins' Mike Gesicki: Limited usage in opener

Gesicki was targeted twice and held without a catch in Sunday's season-opening 17-16 win over the Patriots, Joe Schad of the Palm Beach Post reports.

Gesicki logged just 21 snaps in the contest, while Durham Smythe was out there for 38 and caught one pass (on two targets) for nine yards. Schad suggests that Gesicki's limited usage was in part due to the Dolphins starting a rookie (Liam Eichenberg) at left tackle in place of Austin Jackson, meaning that blocking was a prime consideration for TE snap allocation Week 1. Looking ahead, with Jackson presumably on track to step into his usual role this coming weekend, it wouldn't surprise us to see Gesicki more involved in the team's passing game versus the Bills in Week 2.

Mike Gesicki caught 10-of-12 targets for 86 yards in Miami's Week 3 overtime loss to the Raiders.

A majority of his production came on a 27-yard catch to move the chains on 4th-and-20 in overtime. The past two weeks with Jacoby Brissett have still jump-started Gesicki's usage, accruing 18 total targets in that stint after he was held catchless in the season opener. It's enough volume to consider Gesicki as a high-end TE2 in Week 4 against the Colts. Continued similar usage would heighten his outlook for the rest of the season.

So I would like to apologize in advance but I got him for $624 in an FFPC SF league tonight. *ducks shoes thrown by fantasy gods*

next highest bid was only in the 300s. 

Mike Gesicki caught 5-of-6 targets for 57 yards and a touchdown in the Dolphins Week 4 loss to the Colts.

Gesicki kept the game alive with a one-yard score in the fourth quarter but the Miami offense was unable to keep up with Jacoby Brissett under center. He finished second on the Dolphins in targets and first in receptions, edging out DeVante Parker by one catch. After a catch-less Week 1, Gesicki has rebounded with no fewer than three receptions and 41 yards in his subsequent games. The Miami offense has looked uninspiring under Brissett but the tight end position falls off precipitously after a few elite options. Gesicki's role makes him a low-end TE1, even with the recent downgrade in quarterback play.

How we doing here? I play in 3 WR/TE league and think he needs to be owned as a true pass-catcher. Miami seems like a dumpster fire but they will probably just pass all year, getting this guy 6-8-10 targets a game? 

Mike Gesicki caught 4-of-8 targets for 54 yards in Miami's Week 9 win over Houston.

The degree of difficulty on Gesicki's catches was not easy, as two of them were one-handed snags and one of his incompletions nearly was as well. Such is Jacoby Brissett life. Gesicki's now been targeted seven or more times in four of his last five games and heads into Thursday night against the Ravens as a mid-to-low end TE1. 

- NBC SportsEDGE

Pro Football Network's Mike Kaye reports Dolphins TE Mike Gesicki is viewed as a franchise-tag candidate.

Gesicki is set to hit free agency in a few weeks but the Dolphins can keep him around for another year if they franchise tag him before the March 8th deadline. The tag is worth roughly $11 million and Kaye's source told him that figure "is a very reasonable number in the current tight end market." Gesicki rarely played a traditional, in-line tight end role last year. He typically lined up out wide or in the slot, making him a de facto receiver. If the Dolphins view him as their WR2, the tag could even be considered a value for Gesicki's services. The fourth-year tight end posted a 73/780/2 receiving line in 2021.

SOURCE: Mike Kaye on Twitter

Feb 28, 2022, 3:55 PM ET

Good stuff and good point. Miami has the most to spend currently and that is without a few more cuts, they're at $65M to burn and then they could get to $75M-$80M pretty easily, I posted in the Phins thread in detail the cap and where Miami is heading. 

I could see them do it, they only have one other major free agent IMHO in Ogbah which is an Edge/DE and Miami paid him $15M/2Yr and he is entering Year 7 now, on Spotrac he's worth around $10M+ season, Miami has paid him a large % of his professional earnings and he might be loyal and want to stay here. We really like him, most of the fan base can see how important he is. 

But yes Miami has the money. This could also be part of the equation as to who Miami is targeting in free agency. Dalton Schultz could hit the market and that might be an upgrade if he can run block at all. 

Miami needs a strong impact OL and then more help in the Draft, the new SF Offense relies on very different things than what they've been running here so it's also possible they need new personnel at almost all positions. 

I'd franchise him for this year and then see if I can find someone that can block as well going forward unless you feel one of the current TE's can play the Kittle roll. If you view him as they said for a WR2 then the value is good, of course for a WR2 his numbers aren't great. Its like a one year stop gap at most.

I kinda think this was a mistake by Miami, though they have infinite cap space so not a costly one. 

I actually feel like Gesicki is as much of a negative as he is a positive, for Miami at least. He makes some great catches, but he's a WR, he does zero as a blocker, and by WR standards, he's pretty slow. You still need a TE for blocking, and its not like Gesicki brings something to the table nobody else does. Even his contested catch ability is something Parker does as well or better. 

Its a shame Will Fuller wasn't able to stay healthy last season. I think having him and Waddle on the field at the same time would have really opened up the offense and showed them what Tua could do with more speedy weapons. Tagging Gesicki feels like maintaining the status quo to me. Which isn't to say Gesicki isn't a good player, he is, though nothing special. but I think he'd be a lot more useful on a different offense. 

I kinda think this was a mistake by Miami, though they have infinite cap space so not a costly one. 

I actually feel like Gesicki is as much of a negative as he is a positive, for Miami at least. He makes some great catches, but he's a WR, he does zero as a blocker, and by WR standards, he's pretty slow. You still need a TE for blocking, and its not like Gesicki brings something to the table nobody else does. Even his contested catch ability is something Parker does as well or better. 

Its a shame Will Fuller wasn't able to stay healthy last season. I think having him and Waddle on the field at the same time would have really opened up the offense and showed them what Tua could do with more speedy weapons. Tagging Gesicki feels like maintaining the status quo to me. Which isn't to say Gesicki isn't a good player, he is, though nothing special. but I think he'd be a lot more useful on a different offense. 
Gesicki seems to have a good connection with Tua, the routes he runs from the slot are in Tua's wheel house. In the red-zone Gesicki has been good. I think Miami finds a speedy WR in FA, or the draft like Khahil Shakir of Boise State. 

Lots of notes as to the running game being better when MG was on the field than when he wasn't. I think that, simply put, you don't let playmakers leave your building without getting something for them.  Hopefully Ogbah is next.  

Dolphins re-signed TE Mike Gesicki to a one-year, $10.8 million contract. 

Gesicki is the first franchised player to sign his tag. This would also seem to indicate that Gesicki will not be filing a grievance over being tagged as a tight end rather than receiver. The $10.8 million is fully guaranteed, though the sides have until July 15 to reach a long-term agreement. New coach Mike McDaniel grew used to blocking monster/pass-catching dual-threat George Kittle in San Francisco, but that is not Gesicki. Being treated ever more as a pure pass catcher, Gesicki projects as a safe TE1 even with the change in coaching staff. 

SOURCE: Barry Jackson on Twitter 

Mar 14, 2022, 5:07 PM ET

The $10.8 million is fully guaranteed, though the sides have until July 15 to reach a long-term agreement
I didn't know this. I thought they could give a long term extension any time they want during the season, didn't know there was a deadline. I believe the two sides will come to a contract solution which is why Gesicki was happy to sign it. He's happy to collect $10M+ this season and he can't wait to get something like 3yr/$36M, would that get it done and he can dip again in about 2 years still in his prime? Maybe it's more like $15M a year just looking at what some of these other players are being handed. Jacksonville is driving up the market for everyone. 

I didn't know this. I thought they could give a long term extension any time they want during the season, didn't know there was a deadline. 
That was one of the changes to the latest CBA, I believe. The league really put the hammer down on how much a holdout of any kind benefits a player.

So what happens when Adams doesn't sign his Tag by July 15th?
I don't think it really benefits him to miss regular season games.

Maybe he "sits IN" the preseason with a mysterious injury and then he shows up for week#1. He'll be out of shape and more prone to injury and probably won't play as big a role in the first couple of weeks but it's in his best interest to play well even if he is forced to play on the tag. That's my take anyway.

IMO we won't see many of the Melvin Gordon type holdouts anymore. Usually I'm against the owners and for the players but this is one change I can live with.

The Dolphins have yet to open talks with TE Mike Gesicki on a long-term contract, according to NFL Network's Mike Garafolo.

Most signs have pointed to Gesicki, who already signed his franchise tender, playing under the tag. The 26-year-old is coming off career highs in catches (73) and yards (780) last year while running the fourth most pass routes among tight ends. Gesicki seems likely to play 2022 on the tag before becoming a free agent or getting tagged again next offseason.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Jul 9, 2022, 9:21 AM ET

PFF's Doug Kyed reports that the Dolphins have "brought up" TE Mike Gesicki's name to other teams.​

Geskicki is playing the 2022 season under the franchise tag, worth a fully guaranteed $10.9 million, so there is no chance that he will be released. His cap hit also makes him less appealing as a trade candidate, to the point that a trade should be viewed as highly unlikely. However, the fact that the Dolphins have reportedly floated his name is further cause for concern regarding Gesicki's fit in the new Mike McDaniel offense. Gesicki essentially played slot receiver in his first four seasons, averaging only 18% of his career snaps inline. He's spent a higher percentage of snaps lined up out wide (20%) than playing traditional tight end. That is set to change under McDaniel, whose system calls for more blocking from the tight end position. That could lead to more snaps for Durham Smythe or Hunter Long. Even if he maintains a clear starting role, Geskicki looks likely to see fewer targets in 2022, as routes are replaced by blocking assignments.
SOURCE: Doug Kyed on Twitter
Aug 24, 2022, 9:20 AM ET

Dolphins GM Chris Grier denied the team shopped Mike Gesicki ahead of final cuts.​

PFF's Doug Kyed reported last week the Dolphins were trying to move Gesicki. "For us, we did not make any calls on Mike," Grier said. "We had calls from two teams that reached out to us about Mike. We never made any phone calls about him." Grier admitted Gesicki is being asked to do things he has not been asked to do in the past, likely in-line blocking, but added the tight end has "made some great strides" in those areas. Gesicki still looks like a risky fantasy play with a new offense and new target competition, but it at least appears the Dolphins are happy to have him on the roster.
SOURCE: MiamiDolphins.com
Aug 31, 2022, 8:49 AM ET

The Green Bay Packers...trade for him and give him an extension that isn't over the top. He would be a great asset for Rodgers, doesn't need any seasoning and can either play TE or just get into the slot and stretch the middle of the Defense.

Big upgrade over what they have currently and with a veteran like Rodgers, you have a TE ready to roll and open up the passing game. Their '23 2nd Round pick could be in the 60s and Miami forfeited one of their 1st round picks next year and would like to recoup something close to what they lost. This isn't really close but it might be better than doing nothing.

I like what he bring to Miami with other weapons around him, should be wide open all the time.

Mike Gesicki caught his lone target for one yard in the Dolphins' Week 1 win over the Patriots.

Gesicki was out-targeted by both fellow TE Durham Smythe and FB Alec Ingold in this one. Despite being franchise-tagged in the offseason, Gesicki is clearly not a fit in new coach Mike McDaniel's offense where he needs his tight ends to block. Gesicki is way off fantasy radars headed into a Week 2 date with the Ravens.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Mike Gesicki caught all four of his targets for 41 yards and a touchdown in the Dolphins' Week 2 win against the Ravens.

Gesicki showed signs of life after a Week 1 in which he had one reception for one yard. It is, however, important to recognize he commanded a meager 8 percent target share against Baltimore in a barn burner of a contest. There's probably nothing to see here in a Miami offense that will feature a concentrated target tree between Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle. Gesicki might be a decent streamer in Week 3 against the Bills, assuming another pass-heavy game.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Mike Gesicki caught 6-of-7 targets for 69 yards and two touchdowns in the Dolphins' Week 6 loss to the Vikings.

Durham Smythe missed this one with a hamstring injury, and Gesicki responded with his best game of the season, posting year-highs in targets, catches, yards, and touchdowns. He caught a pair of red-zone scores from Teddy Bridgewater. Gesicki remains a low-floor TE2 headed into a Week 7 date with the Steelers, even if he's probably the third or fourth option on offense. Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle just command so many more targets.

- NBCSportsEDGE

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Dolphins are "willing to listen" to offers for TE Mike Gesicki.​

Fowler said NFL executives "don't want much to do with" Gesicki's $10.9 million franchise tag, which the Dolphins strangely used on a tight end they clearly did not plan to use extensively. Gesicki has shown signs of life lately, including in Week 6 against the Vikings when he caught six passes for 69 yards and a touchdown with TE Durham Smythe (hamstring) sidelined. Being acquired by a team willing to use Gesicki as a primary pass-catching tight end would be his best-case fantasy scenario. He should remain on fantasy rosters until potential trade talks shake out. Otherwise, he's a TE2 option.
SOURCE: ESPN.com
Oct 18, 2022, 12:04 PM ET

Gesicki role increases; how he has dealt with change. And more Bridgewater, ataxia fallout

Excerpt:

Mike Gesicki knew the question was coming, so much so that he asked it for the reporters gathered around his locker on Sunday. “That’s been unfortunately the story line, people talking about me fitting in the offense — do I fit? Do I not fit?” he said. For one week, at least, he certainly fit, catching six passes for 69 yards and two touchdowns in Sunday’s loss to Minnesota.

With Durham Smythe sidelined due a hamstring injury and Gesicki’s snap count ballooning to 50, he was targeted far more than he had been during the first five weeks. “I tried to enjoy that one,” Gesicki said. “You have to maximize the opportunities when you get them.” During the first five games, Gesicki had nine catches in 12 targets for 101 yards. He’s playing 52 percent of the Dolphins’ offensive snaps compared with 72 percent last season. How are Gesicki’s spirits behind closed doors? “They’re about as good as they can be,” Smythe said. “It’s hard for me to believe guys in the league in that situation would handle it as well as he is, and I think that’s a testament to him caring about winning games and putting that [first].” Smythe said this system — in which tight ends must be effective blockers and more well-rounded — has helped his own game: “Being able to be aggressive at the tight end position is exciting to all of us. It lets you play without hesitation. But I’m also excited about it because there’s so much room for growth.

“It’s not about me,” Gesicki said. “It’s not about me when I have one catch for 1 yard and we win and it is not about me when I go whatever the heck I went [against Minnesota]. It’s about whatever we can do to help this team win football games.” Smythe, Gesicki’s closest friend on the team, said that Gesicki — who is playing on a one-year, $10.8 million franchise tag and will be a free agent in March — “has handled himself really well. Obviously, a guy in his situation wants to produce statistically because of his situation in terms of years
on contract. “But at the same time he’s a guy that wants to win. I think it says a lot about him the way he’s handled the situation really putting the team first in a year it means a lot to him personally.”

ESPN's Dan Graziano said a league source told him "not to be surprised if the Packers' solution at receiver ended up being a tight end."​

The Packers, struggling with receiver injuries and generally poor wideout play, are reportedly interested in upgrading the team's pass catchers before the NFL's November 1 trade deadline. Mike Gesicki, meanwhile, has been the subject of many trade rumors over the past month, even as his playing time and involvement in the Miami passing attack increases. It would be strange to address wideout issues with a tight end, but Gesicki would pose a major issue for Robert Tonyan, who has 17 receptions over this past three games. Graziano also mentioned Albert Okwuegbunam as a potential trade candidate who would make sense in Green Bay.
RELATED:
SOURCE: ESPN.com
Oct 26, 2022, 10:50 AM ET

Mike Gesicki caught 1-of-2 targets for three yards in Miami's Week 9 win over Chicago.

It's been hard to trust Gesicki's role all season and just as quickly as it was created it suddenly was usurped by Jeff Wilson. His 6/69/2 performance against the Vikings in Week 6 is a major outlier on the season and should be regarded as such. Despite that, Gesicki's presence on a good offense continues to make him a passable TD-or-bust bye week fill in at tight end in Week 10 against Cleveland.

- NBCSportsEDGE

No targets today on several long drives all ending in TDs for the Miami Dolphins

But you watch them next week and he could have 5-50-2 TDs if the game calls for it or defenses take away better options

Dolphins head coach Mike McDaniel said he hasn't gotten the ball to Mike Gesicki enough this season.​

Obviously. Gesicki has posted dismal numbers across the board this season. Currently sitting on 25 receptions for 274 yards and four touchdowns, we haven't seen a performance like this from Gesicki since his 2018 rookie season. McDaniel took a portion of the blame for Gesicki's lack of production but didn't say anything to suggest an uptick in targets could be in the tight end's future. A potential unrestricted free agent this upcoming offseason, Gesicki has been one of the more productive tight ends in the league for most of his career. How this year's performance will impact his value on the market is to be determined, but his decline in McDaniel's system has been frustrating for both him and fantasy managers.
SOURCE: Miami Herald
Dec 22, 2022, 10:48 AM ET

Mike Gesicki caught 2-of-6 targets for 15 yards and a touchdown in the Dolphins' Wild Card Round loss to the Bills.

The Dolphins assigned their franchise tag to Gesicki in the offseason, seemingly indicating their interest in keeping him involved in the offense for the 2022 season. It quickly became apparent that Gesicki would not be in line for a big year once reports from training camp said he was struggling to fit into first-year head coach Mike McDaniel’s scheme. This proved to be shockingly true as the athletic tight end opened the season by catching one pass on a snap share below 50 percent. This would be the norm for him en route to a 32-catch, 362-yard season. He did manage to scrounge up five touchdowns in his limited role. The 2022 season goes down as Gesicki’s worst campaign since his rookie year in 2018. An impending free agent, Gesicki will look to find a team that is more willing to utilize his pass-catching skills in the spring.

- NBCSportsEDGE

What are thoughts moving forward with him being a FA? Have a chance to pick him up for a mid-ish second rounder. I really have no one at TE on this team I took over.

What are thoughts moving forward with him being a FA? Have a chance to pick him up for a mid-ish second rounder. I really have no one at TE on this team I took over.
Good redzone target, 5 - 6 TDs this year (on 32 receptions), 2018, and 2019. He was trending upward from his rookie year until this year when the new regime valued blocking, so he got reduce playing time. His separation metrics have been poor, even with a 4.54 40 at the combine. But good hands and size and 41" vertical could make him useful in another system. He's like a big WR with good speed but not separation quickness.

Feels like he is trending in the direction of being the next Jared Cook...an athletic freak who looks the part, puts up just enough #'s to keep you coming back but in the end is very tough to rely on.

Has never worked with a high lever QB in all his time
One could say this season he was paired with Tua who was playing at a high level but not in this system where his playing time was reduced after Miami paid him the franchise tag...
If Mike Gesicki landed on a team that used the TE a lot for targets and had a strong veteran QB or one of these up and coming young arms, he might take off.
His stock will skyrocket if he signs on a team with a good QB and the team announces he was brought in to start right away, that could happen in this off season

I'm taking the gamble and buying anywhere I can for late 2 or lower. Given the state of the TE position, his value has the ability to skyrocket.

The Miami Herald's Daniel Oyefusi doesn't expect the Dolphins to re-sign free agent TE Mike Gesicki.​

Miscast in first-year coach Mike McDaniel’s offense, Gesicki had his fewest snaps (45%), catches (32) and yards (362) since his rookie season. After playing last year on the franchise tag, it's unlikely Gesicki's returns on a long-term deal in Miami. Jaguars TE Evan Engram landed $9 million coming off career lows last offseason and should set the stage for Gesicki's free agent market.
SOURCE: Miami Herald
Feb 4, 2023, 12:52 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread