What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 FBG Subscriber Contest (5 Viewers)

Each subscriber is allowed one entry into this contest, which will debut the first week of August.

Ambiguity regarding the definition of first week of August noted.  Worst case scenario one minute before midnight Tuesday.

Each subscriber is allowed one entry into this contest, which will debut the first week of August.

Ambiguity regarding the definition of first week of August noted.  Worst case scenario one minute before midnight Tuesday.
Unless of course you define the first week of August as the first full week in which case the worst case scenario is one minute before midnight Saturday August 11.

Unless of course you define the first week of August as the first full week in which case the worst case scenario is one minute before midnight Saturday August 11.
Or it could be the first full work week in which case worst case scenario is one minute before midnight Friday August 10.

Unless of course FBG has a 4 day work week.

I wish you guys would quit doing this.  It has a Pavlov dog effect on me I start drooling and then foaming at the mouth.  My wife though I had been bitten by a rabid raccoon just then.  She thought I had rabies.
Rick Astley has that same affect on me.  You're not alone.  She'll never truly understand.

Crazy, yesterday at this time there were no new articles and now there are like a bunch from 7/31 to 8/2 mass uploaded.  None are the subscriber :(  

LOL thought they had gone live based on the thread for a moment there.  At least I got my subscription re-upped :)

-QG

@Joe Bryant is there an expected launch date for the subscriber contest?  Any truth to the rumors that there will be changes to the scoring rules this year?
HI @Ignoratio Elenchi    I'd expect it out by 8/13 and maybe sooner. We always wait till about then to dial in all the salaries and make things as challenging as possible. It's one of the best contests in football for that reason. Not to mention, the contest itself is worth the cost of the subscription. Hope you win it all. I wouldn't expect any rule changes but you never know until it hits...

HI @Ignoratio Elenchi    I'd expect it out by 8/13 and maybe sooner. We always wait till about then to dial in all the salaries and make things as challenging as possible. It's one of the best contests in football for that reason. Not to mention, the contest itself is worth the cost of the subscription. Hope you win it all. I wouldn't expect any rule changes but you never know until it hits...
I feel like I just went to dairy queen and they said they were out of ice cream. 

I'd be all mad that Joe's rooting for Iggy over the rest of us but the fact is I'm rooting for Iggy too. :)

-QG

I'd expect it out by 8/13 and maybe sooner. We always wait till about then to dial in all the salaries and make things as challenging as possible. It's one of the best contests in football for that reason. Not to mention, the contest itself is worth the cost of the subscription. Hope you win it all. I wouldn't expect any rule changes but you never know until it hits...
Thanks Joe.  For the record, you literally never wait until then to launch the contest - with maybe one exception it's always been out by the end of the first week of August, and it's always been a fun challenge regardless.  Looking forward to it as always.   

I'm going to hope this is the "under-promise and over-deliver" approach, and that you actually expect to follow your normal 1st few days of August schedule but don't want to build up expectations too high. Otherwise, it's like saying "We always celebrate Christmas around January 1, so expect your presents then, or maybe a little earlier."

I'm going to hope this is the "under-promise and over-deliver" approach, and that you actually expect to follow your normal 1st few days of August schedule but don't want to build up expectations too high. Otherwise, it's like saying "We always celebrate Christmas around January 1, so expect your presents then, or maybe a little earlier."
Yes. It's why I wrote  "I'd expect it out by 8/13 and maybe sooner."   It's very likely we can have it late next week. We're continuing to try and make sure we get the best information for setting salaries to make it most challenging. I just always try to make sure I give a date we can for sure hit. I know you guys love to get started on it and that's awesome. Stay tuned. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. It's why I wrote  "I'd expect it out by 8/13 and maybe sooner."   It's very likely we can have it late next week. We're continuing to try and make sure we get the best information for setting salaries to make it most challenging. I just always try to make sure I give a date we can for sure hit. I know you guys love to get started on it and that's awesome. Stay tuned. 
It is a great contest and am always eager to do it, but will be about a week and a half later than ever for some reason. The setting of salaries shouldn't be any different this year than prior years, but oh well......  

While I’m as anxious as anyone to get the contest opened, I do think the latter date is preferable.  Less chance that everyone has the same $3 players who unexpectedly won jobs and more accurate pricing overall.  

Regardless of the reason, I'm just asking for transparency. It's acceptable to say "We've decided to move it back to get more accurate pricing, and will do this moving forward", or "We just got started late cuz Dodds has been training for a triathlon" or "Dodds did the initial cut but the guy we want to review is unavailable for a week...". Whatever the reason, just acknowledge it's late, state the reason, and move on. 

For me, I prefer the earlier release cuz for many of us we're drafting later in August so this contest let's us kill some time before those drafts start.

While I’m as anxious as anyone to get the contest opened, I do think the latter date is preferable.  Less chance that everyone has the same $3 players who unexpectedly won jobs and more accurate pricing overall.  
Nobody is going to win a job after one preseason game, unless a starter suffers a serious injury. Since the starters normally play only the first series in that game, it's most likely won't occur.

Users who are viewing this thread