What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dispersal draft or take over a team? (1 Viewer)

If you were joining a dynasty league which had 2-3 open teams, would you prefer to take over one of

• Take over one team

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Dispersal draft

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Other (explain in comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ZWK

Footballguy
If you're the kind of person who would join a dynasty league which just lost a couple of owners, would you rather take over the roster of one of the abandoned teams, or would you rather have a dispersal draft where you and the other new owner(s) draft from all the players on the abandoned teams?

If you have 2 open teams and the 2 owners each want a different team, even if seemingly uneven, then I'd let the owners take those teams.

But, if the new owners aren't interested in opposite teams or if either prefers a dispersal, then you have to go that route to be fair, IMO.

The only caveat to that is if you have an opening, you fill it, and then another team opens up, then you shouldn't go back and do a dispersal. 

If you have 2 open teams and the 2 owners each want a different team, even if seemingly uneven, then I'd let the owners take those teams.

But, if the new owners aren't interested in opposite teams or if either prefers a dispersal, then you have to go that route to be fair, IMO.

The only caveat to that is if you have an opening, you fill it, and then another team opens up, then you shouldn't go back and do a dispersal. 
3+ dispersal every time. 2 teams, probably go the easier route and just say “this is the team, take it or leave it” if I’m the commish. If I’m a new owner I’ll always like the option to pick. 

I had a situation where I picked up an orphan this year, then another team that had way more talent became available. I wanted to switch or do a dispersal but the commish gave the team to a guy he works with and I got stuck with the rebuild. Which is fine, it’s the team I agreed to take over and I’m not trying to be salty about it now, but as a lesson to others try to figure out who’s in/out and then fill the openings at the same time. 

Nearly every new league I join I have a strong preference for one team over another, so if I can just take that one over that's an obvious answer.  But as an owner my answer is 1000% dispersal draft if that doesn't happen and the alternative is to do some kind of roll or random team selection.  I've done 4 of them as a commish and all of them have had both/all owners think it was a great experience. 

I'm fine as a commish if both/all teams can agree on what team they take.

May consider asking the Comish to balance the teams
No no a thousand times no.  I had a commish want to do that one time, so I told him "go ahead and balance it then poll the entire league to see which team they'd want."  8 out of 9 owners wanted the same team with 5 of them saying "by a lot" or more, myself included and one guy thought the commish was trolling

As a commish I prefer FCFS choice - it encourages new owners to pull the trigger faster to get the roster they prefer - and I don't always know which rosters are not being renewed when the first vacancies become evident.  Find it cumbersome to try to wait until payment deadline to see how many new owners I'm gonna need - much prefer to start recruitment as soon as I know I'll have a need.

Always dispersal.

If there are two teams and they choose to keep the teams the same that's fine.

Nearly every new league I join I have a strong preference for one team over another, so if I can just take that one over that's an obvious answer.  But as an owner my answer is 1000% dispersal draft if that doesn't happen and the alternative is to do some kind of roll or random team selection.  I've done 4 of them as a commish and all of them have had both/all owners think it was a great experience. 

I'm fine as a commish if both/all teams can agree on what team they take.

No no a thousand times no.  I had a commish want to do that one time, so I told him "go ahead and balance it then poll the entire league to see which team they'd want."  8 out of 9 owners wanted the same team with 5 of them saying "by a lot" or more, myself included and one guy thought the commish was trolling
Yeah  Guess it is possible the Comish was in error which is kinda sad because he should be motivated to see folks field a competitive team  I dunno maybe the other Team gets not only 1st pick of the Rooks but he gets TWO picks   Look I'm just assuming we're talking two Teams that can barely field one Champion caliber team  Whats worse is the two guys draft and could really jack things up going extremely young etc.  I get IF they draft that they could still attempt silly stuff like trading Big name players  I dunno Comish has made it work in my League is why I offered free advice  Mileage may vary eh  

Dispersal hands down, and include the future draft picks in the draft.  Helps the incoming owners with ownership of their teams and is a blast for the rest of the league to watch/comment.

Users who are viewing this thread