What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drafting at the turn strategy (1 Viewer)

ponchsox

Footballguy
For those drafting 11th or 12th in a 12 team league, what is your strategy whether standard or PPR? Are you doubling up on RB or going RB/WR or WR/RB? 

I drafted from the 12 spot in a July FPC draft (below).  It really depends on who is around. I tend to like RB/RB because I like the WRs or TEs that remain when it comes back. Minimally I think you need to pick 1 RB. The cool thing about that pick is you are less concerned with ADP and just pick the guys you like as you know they will not make it back. Yes people will say you "reached" but at the end of the day does that matter? Its more important your players performs well.

Out of the 12 slot.... championship 

QB: Staford (11), Mariota (15)

RB: Hunt (1), Fornete (2), Chubb (8), Martin (12), Blount (13), Ballage (14)

WR: JuJu (4), Watkins (6), Jordy Nelson (7), Hurns (9), Dez (10), Washington (17), DeDe (18)

TE: Engram (3), Reed (5)

D: Bal (16), Pit (19)

K: Sucupp (20)

Last edited by a moderator:
I play in a super flex, PPR and am typically inclined to get a QB at that point and  often pair with a WR.  However this year looks a little different to me.  There just seem to be so many QBs that I would probably pass at that point.  WR seems to be the least deep at the top so I would consider grabbing one...however, for some reason I think this is the year to double down on RBs at that spot. 

Again, I'm talking about a super-flex, PPR.

I am at pick 11 and am planning on going WR/WR. I am hoping to get M. Thomas and Allen. This league tends to be higher on Rb's, so I may be able to get both. I think RB is really deep this year and starting two top 8 Wr's is better than a solid but not great RB. 

Pick 11 in a 3rd round reversal...

Going RB/WR ... one of Gordon, Fournette, Cook ... then best WR available, probably Julio.  

I think it gives a lot of flexibility later in the draft to get one stud at each position.

If you're not drafting at least one stud WR at the turn in PPR, I think you're probably burning money.  Those top WRs are so valuable (not only because they score so high but because they are far more consistent and safer than top RBs. 

The last several years I would have argued to go WR/WR but there are so many more feature backs this year that I think you have to grab one of them.  When was the last time there were nearly a dozen legitimate feature backs available? They'll all be gone by the next pick so you need to grab one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I play just PPR and mostly FFPC format

first off, any strategy will work if you pick the right guys.   But if I'm at the end of the 1st round I'm usually going WR-WR or RB-WR or WR-RB, sometimes mixing an elite TE in there.   very rarely if ever will I go RB-RB.  In general, why would I take two 2nd tier RBs and leave the top WRs to fall to the guys who just got the 1st tier RBs.  I want to take an edge somewhere (whether it's 2 money in the bank WRs or an elite TE).

If I'm taking a RB there in PPR they better catch passes.  This year I like Dalvin Cook with one of those picks.  Not as high on Fournette or Hunt but they are definitely options.

you can pair an elite WR like Thomas, Julio, or Beckham with Cook or Gronk and that's a nice start IMO.

or grab two of those top WRs.  In one FFPC draft with the 11th pick I went Julio/Thomas.  In the 3rd/4th I went Diggs/A Collins.  

Not quite the turn, but so far I *hate* the 10 spot.

I'm in an MFL10 right now where I got Gordon at 10 and then took Thomas with my 2nd rounder.  

The RBs were picked clean by the time I picked in the 3rd.  I took Kenyan Drake but don't feel all that pumped about that.

I did land Fitzgerald in the 4th.  Feeling good about that pick.

So far I've preferred drafting earlier, getting a super stud RB and then a solid WR in the 2nd.

We'll see how the rest of the draft pans out.

The cool thing about that pick is you are less concerned with ADP and just pick the guys you like as you know they will not make it back. Yes people will say you "reached" but at the end of the day does that matter? Its more important your players performs well.
This.  Same thing applies if picking at 1.01 as well as 1.12. You have to script out (to a large degree) who you are going to take, because by the time 23 picks go by before your next pick, the runs will start, end, and start again. I would rather take "my guys" and hope I did my homework and that they will perform for me during the season.

Honestly depends on who is left is who I'm going to go with ...either WR/WR or RB/RB ...... rather create a major advantage at a position then go with average with a RB/WR combo.

Think there is some decent depth at RB so if a combo of Julio/Hopkins/OBJ I'll jump at WR duo and build with RBs later.... If Hunt/Gordon/Fornette (non PPR) are available I might go RB/RB and try to land TY Hilton/Diggs/ or similar in 3rd and 4th.

Typically I get at least 1 RB, but that's just how it works out. I always autopick the 1st round. If I have the 12th pick, I just queue up my top 12 players and see what happens. Sometimes, but not always, I queue up my top 13 and autopick the 1st 2 rounds. 

Users who are viewing this thread