What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread (4 Viewers)

jon_mx said:
Sen. Bernie Sanders and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez did not appear onstage together Monday night when they took their turns at the mic roughly 45 minutes apart during the rally for the Green New Deal, nor did either mention the other by name. But merely being present in the same auditorium at roughly the same time was enough to spark chatter. Sanders, according to the original headline of a Politico article published right before he delivered his speech, is in “hot pursuit” of AOC’s endorsement. So too, according to the report, is Sen. Elizabeth Warren.
But neither Sanders nor Warren is going to be the nominee and I’m pretty sure you know that. 

I don't know that.  But regardless, AOC is driving debate topics.  The Green New Deal is probably the most discussed topic.  
If she’s driving the election, she’s doing it in the same way Sistah Souljah drove the 1992 election. In other words, AOC will be a tool used to make Joe Biden appear reasonable. The Green New Deal will be a tool used to make Joe Biden’s environmental plan appear moderate. I don’t mean be cynical; I’m not saying that anyone is planning all of this, only that this is the way it will work out. 

Wonderful.  If you eat European you’re supporting colonialism, but if you eat non-European you are appropriating culture.

Yeah I know it was a bad example. We’ve covered that. This is really unimportant in the big picture of the world politics right now imo.
Trying to turn everything into a rich vs poor or white vs brown issue is kind of a big deal I think. Especially in this context. She is literally trying to win over support for her green new deal by making it sound like there is some shady ploy where urban gardens are exclusively growing white people vegetables or that there is even such a thing really. 

I mean seriously what is she talking about? It isn't like these things are loaded up with swiss chard and lingonberries and that's it. Do you know how hard it was for me to even think of those two examples? Thought of brussels sprouts but in reading learned that they come from the exact same species as cauliflower and guess what? They are one of the fastest growing crops in mexico. Thought about radishes, but here is actually an annual event known as Noche de Los Rábanos(night of the radishes)

The whole thing is absurd. 

ETA: Oh hell, found some data from many years ago where we were importing 99.8% of our swiss chard from mexico. lingonberries seem to be holding strong though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be really surprised if The Green New Deal becomes a big topic in presidential debates from the Democratic side.  Questions on climate change and the environment?  Absolutely.  The Green New Deal?  Probably not.

Trying to turn everything into a rich vs poor or white vs brown issue is kind of a big deal I think. Especially in this context. She is literally trying to win over support for her green new deal by making it sound like there is some shady ploy where urban gardens are exclusively growing white people vegetables or that there is even such a thing really. 
Wait til she finds out about Oprah's cauliflower crust pizza.
But, honestly, I would call it more garden variety (no pun intended) political pandering (that I still dislike) more than a particularly big deal.

But neither Sanders nor Warren is going to be the nominee and I’m pretty sure you know that. 
I think it's way too early to say that so definitively.  Sanders is currently in second place, and Warren is one just a handful of candidates polling above 2%, which puts her at least in the "B" tier.  It would not be remotely shocking to see either of them win the nomination.

She questioned Carson today (I think today) about the One Strike Rule and No-Fault Policy. I thought she did a very good job - Link.

I know a lot of people like jon think she is dumb. But she sure seems to do a lot of good questioning in committee (regardless of whether you agree with her position).

She questioned Carson today (I think today) about the One Strike Rule and No-Fault Policy. I thought she did a very good job - Link.

I know a lot of people like jon think she is dumb. But she sure seems to do a lot of good questioning in committee (regardless of whether you agree with her position).
I'm all for poking at the dumb.  It's funny not being able to muster a peep regarding Carson and Devos and their level of intelligence and they are cabinet officials.  Pretty good illustration of my point above.

That's the best I've seen out of her.

The Commish said:
At least a couple dozen pages later and my comment is still the same....if we put a tenth of the energy towards scrutinizing Trump's behavior, comments etc that we are in this freshman Congresswoman we'd be a lot better off as a country and Trump probably isn't even in office today....something to think about....nah, who am I kidding :lmao:  

ETA:  Turns out just 6-7 pages...point remains.  Truly amazing.
One of the craziest out of touch things I have ever seen written in the PSF.  Is the 3000 page Trump bashing thread not enough for you?   :lmao:

The story that you posted -- but obviously didn't read very carefully -- links to the following Washington Post article that pretty much supports Tim's position:

In these recent polls, Quinnipiac said Biden had 42 percent support among nonwhite Democrats. CNN put his nonwhite support at 50 percent. Biden’s closest competitor among Democratic and Democratic-leaning voters of all races, Sanders, won 14 percent of the nonwhite vote in the CNN poll and 7 percent in Quinnipiac. Sens. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) and Kamala D. Harris (D-Calif.) each earned less than 10 percent of the nonwhite vote in these polls. The Hill/HarrisX and Harvard-Harris both have Biden leading Sanders by over 30 points with African American voters.

The story that you posted -- but obviously didn't read very carefully -- links to the following Washington Post article that pretty much supports Tim's position:
The numbers could change- we haven’t had the debates obviously. And there are significant differences between southern and northern blacks. 

But modern history suggests that southern blacks, who are the single most important bloc in terms of deciding who the Democratic nominee will be, are traditionally conservative, pro-establishment. That doesn’t bode well for Sanders or Warren (or Buttigieg either for different reasons.) 

The Commish said:
At least a couple dozen pages later and my comment is still the same....if we put a tenth of the energy towards scrutinizing Trump's behavior, comments etc that we are in this freshman Congresswoman we'd be a lot better off as a country and Trump probably isn't even in office today....something to think about....nah, who am I kidding :lmao:  

ETA:  Turns out just 6-7 pages...point remains.  Truly amazing.
:lol: 1/10th of the amount of time. Yeah I think we got that covered by a long shot. lol

:lol: 1/10th of the amount of time. Yeah I think we got that covered by a long shot. lol
It's not close.  Sure there's a good effort to keep up, but the quantity of things in sheer volume would lend it to dozens of threads with thousands of pages each if we scrutinized all of Trump's statements/positions/actions to the level that's going on in here....I thought dedicating a tenth was a stretch given the quantity that really should be covered :shrug:  

As it is today we pick and choose the absurdity de jour with Trump and his administration....it was a mere suggestion that this be supplemented by those focused on AOC with this sort of vigor to perhaps shift focus off a freshman congresswoman just cutting her teeth in politics towards those actually driving the bus....even I know that's a big ask.  I mean, clearly we need to focus on AOC's comments around cauliflower in lieu of the comments Devos made around lack of school choice being like that of Nazi Germany or Carson as HUD secretary not knowing what an REO was.  They are just cabinet members in the most dysfunctional cabinet ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m on mobile but we used to be able to check how many times posters posted in a thread. It’d be curious to see the amount of posts / obsession some posters have over AOC. An effective leader, like AOC, receives scorn while an ineffective leader, like Trump, receives praise. Check the post counts. 

It's not close.  Sure there's a good effort to keep up, but the quantity of things in sheer volume would lend it to dozens of threads with thousands of pages each if we scrutinized all of Trump's statements/positions/actions to the level that's going on in here....I thought dedicating a tenth was a stretch given the quantity that really should be covered :shrug:  
So would one trump thread with 1450 pages end this dumb tangent? 

So would one trump thread with 1450 pages end this dumb tangent? 
That's one of dozens of topics.  Feel free not participate in the "dumb tangent" (which is really just an observation of absurdity if we're being honest here) and get back to discussing how dumb AOC's comments about cauliflower are though....clearly this needs to be resolved!  I don't want to be responsible for getting in the way of that meeting of the minds.

I’m on mobile but we used to be able to check how many times posters posted in a thread. It’d be curious to see the amount of posts / obsession some posters have over AOC. An effective leader, like AOC, receives scorn while an ineffective leader, like Trump, receives praise. Check the post counts. 
Wait.  How many people on this forum praise trump?  You guys reading same threads I do?

That's one of dozens of topics.  Feel free not participate in the "dumb tangent" (which is really just an observation of absurdity if we're being honest here) and get back to discussing how dumb AOC's comments about cauliflower are though....clearly this needs to be resolved!  I don't want to be responsible for getting in the way of that meeting of the minds.
Ok cool. So you are ok with us discussing AOC in the AOC thread? Great. 

Btw still waiting on that book title that shows how easy it is for somebody earning 450k a year to pay the same rate as somebody earning 150k a year. That was one of the great takeaways i got from a trump thread. Tax advice tuesdays with commish. 

Ok cool. So you are ok with us discussing AOC in the AOC thread? Great. 

Btw still waiting on that book title that shows how easy it is for somebody earning 450k a year to pay the same rate as somebody earning 150k a year. That was one of the great takeaways i got from a trump thread. Tax advice tuesdays with commish. 
I don't really know what you're talking about, but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say your reading comprehension let you down again.  I'll go back and read though :thumbup:  

As it is today we pick and choose the absurdity de jour with Trump and his administration....it was a mere suggestion that this be supplemented by those focused on AOC with this sort of vigor to perhaps shift focus off a freshman congresswoman just cutting her teeth in politics towards those actually driving the bus....even I know that's a big ask.  I mean, clearly we need to focus on AOC's comments around cauliflower in lieu of the comments Devos made around lack of school choice being like that of Nazi Germany or Carson as HUD secretary not knowing what an REO was.  They are just cabinet members in the most dysfunctional cabinet ever.
To be fair, Trump is a "freshman" as well...just cutting his teeth.

and people ##### about him on here absolutely non-stop everyday all day what's your point?

When she says something stupid someone is allowed to point and laugh
Two fold:

1.  It's funny to see the priorities of some.

2.  There's more work to be done.  

As I've said, I am good with the 'point and laugh'....several have gone well passed that to obsession and I just don't get it especially when those same people remain relatively silent on more pressing problems.  I just don't get it :shrug:  Anyway....this is my last post on this for a bit....back to solving the armageddon that is the cauliflower conundrum.  :thumbup:  

And a President who's doing real damage as we speak and has appointed people to cabinet positions who are doing real damage.  
I agree, and people should wake up and understand why he was elected and is still rabidly supported.  And "racism/sexism" is not the correct answer, no matter how badly liberals want it to be.

AOC is basically a microcosm of the very system that lead to Trump.  If the media keeps parading her out there as the gold standard and we will get another 4 years of this madness.

You don't need to count posts.  Number of Trump threads (and pages) out number threads about AOC by more than a factor of 10, let alone 1/10th.

Not sure why you would want to pick on a particular poster, but, turn the tables around and every single poster on the left would out number in Trump posts than AOC by more than a factor of 10.  I think Commish had a point to make, but, his horrible math ruined it.

Two fold:

1.  It's funny to see the priorities of some.

2.  There's more work to be done.  

As I've said, I am good with the 'point and laugh'....several have gone well passed that to obsession and I just don't get it especially when those same people remain relatively silent on more pressing problems.  I just don't get it :shrug:  Anyway....this is my last post on this for a bit....back to solving the armageddon that is the cauliflower conundrum.  :thumbup:  
1- Agree, it's weird to post everyday obsessively about Trump.   Even weirder you think it needs to happen more.

2- #1 isn't accomplishing anything so if that's what you're doing to get "work" done, well, you will never be done.  

Users who are viewing this thread