What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread (7 Viewers)

The clutching of pearls when someone dares to suggest that tribalism is a foundation of the right-wing platform in 2019 is really lame. All the old euphemisms have been killed and it's in the open now.  In a giant thread about a freshman legislator whom is being used as the focus of attack against progressivism, it's absolutely a fair point.  Go look in reddit or other places where the right is less moderated and it's plain as day. 

Hi Joe,

You've given me similar warnings in the past. And I'm not complaining about them, even though at the times they were given I felt, like Tobias, that you were missing some nuance and context. It's absolutely your prerogative. And as a general rule I agree with you about generalizing and especially about demonizing other people by attempting to decide for them what their intent is: it's absolutely terrible for our society. I've done it plenty in the past myself, and it's wrong.

That being said, I firmly believe that it is worse now than its been because of a dilemma, a pandora's box that was opened when Donald Trump was elected as President. Many of us believe, with very good reason, that he is a bigot and a racist. He is also the leader of the Republican party and therefore the conservative movement in this country. Most of us don't want to believe that they are bigots and racists as well. I certainly don't believe it. And yet they continue to support him, in ever larger percentages. That creates a real problem for many of us in terms of political discussion, and it really opens the floodgates for the kind of generalizations that we both agree are so awful. I hope that you'll keep this dilemma, which none of us created, in mind when you judge the volatility of certain comments that are made in this forum. 
I like to believe that this is untrue.  That said, labels evolve and old school conservatives may be carrier pigeons, things extinct and consigned to the past, or very nearly so.  The usurpers of that name disgust and offend me, but such is life.  He may well be the defacto leader of this new conservatism which has no roots in the old conservatism, or at least very few that meant anything to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a really loose usage of the term "mass".
NYC had 35,740 out of 49,786 detainees that couldn't post bail before arraignment in 2016.

Why do you think AOC wants to end cash bail and turn rikers island into a solar farm?

ETA linky...
"mass detention" generally refers to the concept of rounding up large masses of people around the same time, often for the same reason.

(This is why the phrase "mass killer" is generally considered to have a different meaning than "serial killer".)

I understand that you and the dictionary may choose to adhere to a different definition of the word "mass", but unfortunately such distinction would not be appropriate for this thread. It has already been decreed that the definitions of words shall be based solely on colloquial understanding, rather than the dictionary.

Nobody uses the term "mass" and "detention" together to refer to a city jail unless they're a) being disingenuous, or b) born yesterday.

"mass detention" generally refers to the concept of rounding up large masses of people around the same time, often for the same reason.

(This is why the phrase "mass killer" is generally considered to have a different meaning than "serial killer".)

I understand that you and the dictionary may choose to adhere to a different definition of the word "mass", but unfortunately such distinction would not be appropriate for this thread. It has already been decreed that the definitions of words shall be based solely on colloquial understanding, rather than the dictionary.

Nobody uses the term "mass" and "detention" together to refer to a city jail unless they're a) being disingenuous, or b) born yesterday.
How many people do you think are in a NYC jail that are pre-trial on an average day? 

More or less than the most recent mass killing in the US? More or less than the biggest mass killing in the US?

More or less than the average camp holding migrants in the us?

Just trying to gauge your interpretation of "mass" 

It's the same kind of weird mental place where people will reflexively defend AOC for saying dumb things just like people will reflexively defend Trump for saying stupid things. We'd all be better off if we all just called out everyone equally for saying dumb things instead of enabling and defending their blatant stupidity.

It's sad, but if the 2016 election didn't prove Trump right, everything since has. It really is all about winning and losing and nothing more for an increasingly large number of people. 

Its the same kind of weird mental place where when a first term Democratic representative equates something to the Holocaust we spar about it for a hundred pages but when the NRA and Republican congressfolk like Steve King uses more pointed analogies very consistently we just roll our eyes and shrug because thats just "what they do".  Liberals are in general a lot more optimistic and IMO way too willing to acquiesce to this both sides BS which is almost never in good faith.  It sucks and is distracting and messy arguing with ten different people on the internet but if the result of not doing so is to normalize children being treated like cattle then we gotta dig in and get to #winning I guess.

Its the same kind of weird mental place where when a first term Democratic representative equates something to the Holocaust we spar about it for a hundred pages but when the NRA and Republican congressfolk like Steve King 
I'm cutting you off there.  Please identify a few people on this forum who defend every stupid comment Steve King makes the way that people are defending this stupid comment by AOC.

The clutching of pearls when someone dares to suggest that tribalism is a foundation of the right-wing platform in 2019 is really lame. All the old euphemisms have been killed and it's in the open now.  In a giant thread about a freshman legislator whom is being used as the focus of attack against progressivism, it's absolutely a fair point.  Go look in reddit or other places where the right is less moderated and it's plain as day. 
Yep and not just in less moderated places

I'm cutting you off there.  Please identify a few people on this forum who defend every stupid comment Steve King makes the way that people are defending this stupid comment by AOC.
The right wing does not play defense and there are a lot of (good) posters here that are more comfortable counter-punching possibly due to the board dynamics right now.  

It's frustrating to me to see moderates disengaging or "both sides shrugging" when there is IMO a large order of magnitude in difference between the teams in say how hyperbole is being weaponized.

As the day has gone on I’ve come to the conclusion that calling the detention centers concentration camps was a good move. I watched some CNN tonight and she caused the border situation to be discussed again when I assume it would not have been otherwise. I assume other news programs did likewise.  It also got some (like me) to research the history of concentration camps.  Without a doubt, everyone should agree that the latter is a good thing.

George Takei on Twitter:
No. He was not in a concentration camp. 

George Takai is a great man. As a child he was in Manzanar and Tule Lake. Before that he was kept in a stable at Santa Anita racetrack. What we did to the Nisei was absolutely terrible. It was a crime against humanity and the United States should forever be ashamed, and in particular my state of California, along with Washington and Oregon. And it was mostly a group of liberal Democrats who planned this and carried it out, in particular Earl Warren, John J McCloy, and FDR. 

But- these were not concentration camps. I know the Wiki page describes them as such but they don’t fit the definition. They were internment camps. Families were locked in. But they did not starve. They were not tortured or beaten or forced to serve slave labor. They were not subject to typhus or other diseases. 

As a comparison: in Hong Kong at the same time as Manzanar, the Japanese locked away the entire British population in Stanley Prison, also called, in this case euphemistically, an “internment camp”. But they neglected to feed them anything but starvation rations. The result was that through hunger and disease over 70% of the inmates died by 1945 and liberation. In Manzanar only a tiny percentage died. Stanley and Changi and the other Japanese camps were truly concentration camps. Manzanar was not. 

Even our reservations weren’t really concentration camps. In our entire history we have had, as I noted before, only one place that truly could be termed a concentration camp: Andersonville in Georgia. And even that was largely due to the actions of the commander, Henry Wirz, who hoarded the food and supplies for himself and thus allowed the Yankee soldiers to starve or cannibalize each other. 

It's the same kind of weird mental place where people will reflexively defend AOC for saying dumb things just like people will reflexively defend Trump for saying stupid things. We'd all be better off if we all just called out everyone equally for saying dumb things instead of enabling and defending their blatant stupidity.

It's sad, but if the 2016 election didn't prove Trump right, everything since has. It really is all about winning and losing and nothing more for an increasingly large number of people. 
The problem with this of course is both sides try to call out the other when they say smart things too. I could say “I want to roll back military spending and fund education and infrastructure” and the headline would be “snorkelson doesn’t support the troops.” 

Maybe a better example would be Biden saying he’ll cure cancer- that isn’t a bad goal, although it seems like if it happens in the next 6 years it’s more coincidence than anything any president has done. Republicans jump all over him and say “oh, well why are you waiting? Why didn’t you do it already?” The whole thing is dumb-  Biden may be able to push some funding but there isn’t much he can do to cure cancer, and republicans have stymied stem cell research here in the US based on their religious voting base, so who are they to attack Biden anyway? 

Its all about attacking. Less attention is paid to our politicians when they are saying something worthwhile than when they slip up. 

I also would like to point out that whatever you think of AOCs holocaust comment she’s out there explaining why she chose those words and is owning it, not simply denying that she said it on tape a few minutes ago. 
See, this is unfortunately kind of what I was talking about. She's not "owning" it at all. She's attempting to explain it away. "Never Again" is a phrase that has direct ties to Nazi concentration camps. It does not have ties to any other "camps". Why the need to defend her? She clear said something stupid. Rather than her learning a lesson in inappropriate use of hyperbole, she is learning that she can deny her obvious intent and lots of folks will defend her.

Trump is the worst at all of this, but plenty of others seem to be doing their best to make up ground.

Its all about attacking. Less attention is paid to our politicians when they are saying something worthwhile than when they slip up. 
I definitely agree with you here. It's much more about slinging dirt than it is about constructive ideas. The problem is that it's because it's proven to work. Until we change our mindset as a society, it will only get worse.

But- these were not concentration camps. I know the Wiki page describes them as such but they don’t fit the definition. They were internment camps. Families were locked in. But they did not starve. They were not tortured or beaten or forced to serve slave labor. They were not subject to typhus or other diseases. 
Not all concentration camps are/were like this.

Not all concentration camps were like this.
Then you’re widening your definition, probably enough to make it meaningless. 

And unfortunately this is an old trick that historical revisionists do, both on the left and right. They’ll compare something to the Nazis. Then when you press them they explain that it’s not exactly as bad as the Nazis but there are enough similarities that their initial statement is justified. And that allows them to retain credibility with those who know history, while those who don’t are left with the impression that maybe this really is as bad. And phrases like “concentration camps”, “Holocaust”, “Hitler”, “Stalin”, “slavery”, etc become like rubber bands: elastic and meaning whatever it becomes expedient to compare them to. 

And unfortunately this is an old trick that historical revisionists do, both on the left and right. They’ll compare something to the Nazis. Then when you press them they explain that it’s not exactly as bad as the Nazis but there are enough similarities that their initial statement is justified. And that allows them to retain credibility with those who know history, while those who don’t are left with the impression that maybe this really is as bad. And phrases like “concentration camps”, “Holocaust”, “Hitler”, “Stalin”, “slavery”, etc become like rubber bands: elastic and meaning whatever it becomes expedient to compare them to. 
The word had meaning for a long time before the Gulags and Extermination camps.  That's the definition I'm using.  All of them are bad, but only some of them are fatal.

I get that it's like "Kleenex" now -- where a specific example has become shorthand for all of them.

The word had meaning for a long time before the Gulags and Extermination camps.  That's the definition I'm using.  All of them are bad, but only some of them are fatal.

I get that it's like "Kleenex" now -- where a specific example has become shorthand for all of them.
Well first off the term was created in the Boer War. And the Afrikaner women and children were deliberately starved to death in order to get the Boer guerillas to finally surrender, so that was pretty awful. The gulags appeared about 20 years later so it’s not really that long a time, especially since I don’t think there are any real examples of concentration camps between the two. 

More importantly, as many people have pointed out, when AOC used the phrase “never again” she was very clearly attempting to compare these detention centers to the worst possible definition of concentration camp, whatever she claims now. 

What you're seeing is a "motte and bailey" gambit.  AOC and her defenders want to make the exciting argument that immigrant detention camps are like Nazi Germany, so they use that language and imagery.  But that position is obviously indefensible.  When they're called on it, they retreat to a boring and pedantic position about how "Actually, concentration camps originated in the Boer War of 1901 . . . "  As soon as this dust-up blows over, they'll return to using the term "concentration camp" its normal full-on-Nazi sense without ever acknowledging that they changed their position and then changed it right back.

When you see people argue this way, they're arguing in bad faith.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Again

Certainly highly associated with the Jewish Defense League and the Holocaust, but unique to that horror, maybe not.  I am not certain those two words linked together are the sole province of Jewish survivors and heirs to preventing a return of such and for the moment fading in memory..  As for me, that is certainly what is invoked, but I am old.  the new generation has other connections, connotations, maybe.

What you're seeing is a "motte and bailey" gambit.  AOC and her defenders want to make the exciting argument that immigrant detention camps are like Nazi Germany, so they use that language and imagery.  But that position is obviously indefensible.  When they're called on it, they retreat to a boring and pedantic position about how "Actually, concentration camps originated in the Boer War of 1901 . . . "  As soon as this dust-up blows over, they'll return to using the term "concentration camp" its normal full-on-Nazi sense without ever acknowledging that they changed their position and then changed it right back.

When you see people argue this way, they're arguing in bad faith.  
Thanks. That’s exactly what I was trying to say but I’ve never heard that term before. 

As the day has gone on I’ve come to the conclusion that calling the detention centers concentration camps was a good move. I watched some CNN tonight and she caused the border situation to be discussed again when I assume it would not have been otherwise. I assume other news programs did likewise.  It also got some (like me) to research the history of concentration camps.  Without a doubt, everyone should agree that the latter is a good thing.
Yup.  As stupid as it is to be arguing semantics, there's still been a lot more attention of the cruel, horrific things that our government and in particular this administration is doing on the border. This twitter thread is useful in highlighting the atrocities and addressing counterarguments, IMO.  Absolutely awful stuff.

It also points out something a lot of conservatives/Trumpers say in defense: "Why didn't you care when Obama did it?"  Setting aside the fact that things are orders of magnitude worse under Trump, the bottom line is that progressives did care about Obama's immigration policy. I remember hearing about it regularly. It's widely considered one of his two biggest failures by the progressive community, the other being the continued and expanded use of military drones.

As for the dumb semantics argument about what to call the cruel, inhuman detention centers where the US government is imprisoning desperate minorities who are fleeing horrifying conditions partially of our making, I'm with this guy who summarizes the ongoing debate nicely:

Historians: Concentration camps are actually what they are

Journos: But it makes the right wing uncomfortable

Historians: Yea, I mean...it should

Journos: But it's a highly charged term

Historians: Right, that's the point

Journos: But it describes atrocities

Historians ...

I have a cousin who is my most liberal acquaintance.  She lives in NYC and has a genius level IQ.  She is actually one of my favorite family members.

When Trump got elected, she was hysterical.  Her primary reason?  Because her husband was Jewish and her children's great-grandparents experienced the Holocaust.  She honestly believed that there was some direct connection between Donald Trump being President and Nazi Germany.

AOC lives in this world.  She knew darn well what she was doing.

I have a cousin who is my most liberal acquaintance.  She lives in NYC and has a genius level IQ.  She is actually one of my favorite family members.

When Trump got elected, she was hysterical.  Her primary reason?  Because her husband was Jewish and her children's great-grandparents experienced the Holocaust.  She honestly believed that there was some direct connection between Donald Trump being President and Nazi Germany.

Given the certainty of you and others I am going to have to reevaluate my impression, not previously strongly held, that perhaps she had not thoughtfully crafted her statement.

Yup.  As stupid as it is to be arguing semantics, there's still been a lot more attention of the cruel, horrific things that our government and in particular this administration is doing on the border. This twitter thread is useful in highlighting the atrocities and addressing counterarguments, IMO.  Absolutely awful stuff.
So what you’re arguing here is that the only way to bring attention to an issue is to use hyperbole or even falsehood to highlight it. Isn’t that what Trump’s done all along? 

I reject this. I think it makes things worse in the long run. And even in the short run, if most of the response is outrage over the comparison, I don’t see how it really helps. 

It actually is starting to remind me of Kaepernick kneeling. He did that to bring attention to the police mistreatment of minorities, which is a worthy issue to bring attention to. But did it serve its purpose? IMO what it mostly did was engage the nation in a useless debate about Kaepernick’s patriotism. Who gained from that? 

Given the certainty of you and others I am going to have to reevaluate my impression, not previously strongly held, that perhaps she had not thoughtfully crafted her statement.
In some circles, there is a very strong link between American racism and Nazis.

A google search of the two terms "American racism and Nazi Germany" shows the close ties.

Those running against Trump did everything they could to paint him as a racist (I'm not sure that he is or isn't, they just sold it very hard).  Once considered a racist, he is then subject to Nazi comparisons as a result.  From what I've observed these past four years, racism is a binary proposition to many and once you are labeled as such, nuance be damned, you are akin to Nazis.

All due respect to your friend's husband and his grandparents, but here's a Jew who lost family in the Holocaust and who is also a historian with expertise on the Holocaust and Fascism, and he approves of what she said:

Finchelstein‏ @FinchelsteinF

As historian of fascism & Holocaust, I would also call these centers concentrations camps. As a Jewish person who lost family in Holocaust, I regret that some Republicans use memory of the Holocaust to defend racist policies of trumpism. @aoc is right.
And you know who else approves of it? The guy everyone cites to complain about people making inappropriate Hitler/Holocaust comparisons!

Mike Godwin‏ @sfmnemonic

Replying to @chrislhayes

Chris, I think they're concentration camps. Keep in mind that one of their functions *by design* is to punish those individuals and families who are detained. So even the "charged" term is appropriate.
He also retweeted this thread:

Lester Andrist‏ @landrist

I did my dissertation on #ConcentrationCamps, so I have a few thoughts about @AOC's use of the term to describe the build up of camps on the US southern border. For those in a hurry, here's the take-home message: By any reasonable definition, these are concentration camps
And he goes on to explain why. 

But ultimately the best reason to call them that is that it's finally focusing a least a fraction of the justified level of attention of the horrors that the US government is perpetrating, by any name.

I never vote GOP but am aware.  I loved AOC at the start but also am aware she makes very Palinish type blunders and comments. I just consider her a vote for us now.

From a purely political standpoint: 

The way that Trump wins re-election is by getting the public to believe that Democrats are leftist extremists. 

The way that Democrats defeat Trump is by getting the public to believe that they are the reasonable ones compared to Trump. 

It seems like every time AOC opens her mouth she is helping Trump in his goal, and hurting the Democrats in theirs. 

So what you’re arguing here is that the only way to bring attention to an issue is to use hyperbole or even falsehood to highlight it. Isn’t that what Trump’s done all along? 

I reject this. I think it makes things worse in the long run. And even in the short run, if most of the response is outrage over the comparison, I don’t see how it really helps. 

It actually is starting to remind me of Kaepernick kneeling. He did that to bring attention to the police mistreatment of minorities, which is a worthy issue to bring attention to. But did it serve its purpose? IMO what it mostly did was engage the nation in a useless debate about Kaepernick’s patriotism. Who gained from that? 
No, because I don't believe it's hyperbole or falsehood. It's inflammatory and controversial, but that's not remotely the same thing.

Well first off the term was created in the Boer War. And the Afrikaner women and children were deliberately starved to death in order to get the Boer guerillas to finally surrender, so that was pretty awful. The gulags appeared about 20 years later so it’s not really that long a time, especially since I don’t think there are any real examples of concentration camps between the two. 

More importantly, as many people have pointed out, when AOC used the phrase “never again” she was very clearly attempting to compare these detention centers to the worst possible definition of concentration camp, whatever she claims now. 
The camps in Cuba, Africa and the Philippines were what you're describing, but the WWI camps around the world (England, Canada, Germany, etc) were not.  They were harsh and awful, but generally not fatal.

And Trotsky imported his time in the Canadian concentration camps back to Russia -- where they turned into something much grimmer again.

AOC was quoting an article, by someone who wrote a book on this before Trump was elected.  So if you want to interpret AOC, go for it.  But the article and book themselves are not at all what you're describing.

All due respect to your friend's husband and his grandparents, but here's a Jew who lost family in the Holocaust and who is also a historian with expertise on the Holocaust and Fascism, and he approves of what she said:

And you know who else approves of it? The guy everyone cites to complain about people making inappropriate Hitler/Holocaust comparisons!

He also retweeted this thread:

And he goes on to explain why. 

But ultimately the best reason to call them that is that it's finally focusing a least a fraction of the justified level of attention of the horrors that the US government is perpetrating, by any name.
Yes, like I said above, there is a strong link between American racism and Nazi Germany in the minds of people in these circles.  They see it as binary instead of the grey scale it is.

I have older relatives who I would label as racist because they seem to believe that all black people are loud, obnoxious and lazy.  They don't want to lock them up and kill them in gas chambers.  The difference between racists and Nazis is too vast of a chasm to just nonchalantly link the two.

Yes, like I said above, there is a strong link between American racism and Nazi Germany in the minds of people in these circles.  They see it as binary instead of the grey scale it is.

I have older relatives who I would label as racist because they seem to believe that all black people are loud, obnoxious and lazy.  They don't want to lock them up and kill them in gas chambers.  The difference between racists and Nazis is too vast of a chasm to just nonchalantly link the two.
I'm not linking racists and Nazis, and neither is anyone else as far as I can tell. People are linking camps where largely innocent, desperate minorities are imprisoned by powerful politicians and a militarized law enforcement agency and tortured and in some cases left to die with camps where largely innocent, desperate minorities were imprisoned by powerful politicians and a militarized law enforcement agency and tortured and murdered.

If people want to spend time discussing the semantics of using the same word to describe both of these things, that's their business, but it seems like a waste of time to me. I'm just glad we're finally giving the appropriate amount of attention to the fact that the US government is operating camps where largely innocent, desperate minorities are imprisoned by powerful politicians and a militarized law enforcement agency and tortured and in some cases left to die. I prefer to spend my time fighting that and the people who are enabling it with their support for this administration rather than worrying about the semantics.

From a purely political standpoint: 

The way that Trump wins re-election is by getting the public to believe that Democrats are leftist extremists. 

The way that Democrats defeat Trump is by getting the public to believe that they are the reasonable ones compared to Trump. 

It seems like every time AOC opens her mouth she is helping Trump in his goal, and hurting the Democrats in theirs. 
If you replace AOC with HRC in your example, maybe you would have a better appreciation for the impact right-wing media is having here.  Attacking her is one of their biggest purposes.

I'm just glad we're finally giving the appropriate amount of attention to the fact that the US government is operating camps where largely innocent, desperate minorities are imprisoned by powerful politicians and a militarized law enforcement agency and tortured and in some cases left to die. I prefer to spend my time fighting that and the people who are enabling it with their support for this administration rather than worrying about the semantics.

Maybe I’m missing it, but where is the reporting on conditions inside the camps? Some perspective is needed. I feel like immigration activists have been making arguments about human rights conditions for years, but obviously we are at an extreme right now. What happens is officials and agents are given more and more latitude, transparency is blocked out, Congress is prevented from its legally mandated oversight, there is more and more pressure and stress on the actual agents as more and more immigrants are detained, the WH rhetoric becomes more extreme, all rolled into the incompetence and lying which is the de facto practice of this administration, and then one day there will be an expose about how bad things have gotten. There will be some tragic report about mistreatment replete with photos.

Actually you don’t have to go to Nazi Germany for this. Take a look at Orleans Parish prisons at some point. Grotesque overcrowding and mistreatment with the same recipe. The Feds ultimately took it over. 

I'm not linking racists and Nazis, and neither is anyone else as far as I can tell. People are linking camps where largely innocent, desperate minorities are imprisoned by powerful politicians and a militarized law enforcement agency and tortured and in some cases left to die with camps where largely innocent, desperate minorities were imprisoned by powerful politicians and a militarized law enforcement agency and tortured and murdered.

If people want to spend time discussing the semantics of using the same word to describe both of these things, that's their business, but it seems like a waste of time to me. I'm just glad we're finally giving the appropriate amount of attention to the fact that the US government is operating camps where largely innocent, desperate minorities are imprisoned by powerful politicians and a militarized law enforcement agency and tortured and in some cases left to die. I prefer to spend my time fighting that and the people who are enabling it with their support for this administration rather than worrying about the semantics.
This constant BS of "I don't know what you are talking about" is old and tired and quite frankly, immature.  It is what my 12 year old son does when I catch him doing something he isn't supposed to do.

Joe called you out on it yesterday and here you are doing it again.  I'm done with you as any real discussion is impossible.

I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description [hard-core pornography] [concentration camps]; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, and the motion picture involved in this case is not that efforts with concentrating these individuals where they are is just that.

Concurring, Jacobellis v. Ohio, 378 U.S. 184 (1964) Mario Kart.
The intent, when began, may not have identified as a concentration camp, however, recent times has morphed these "camps" into more of a traditional internment/concentration camp.

Maybe I’m missing it, but where is the reporting on conditions inside the camps? Some perspective is needed. I feel like immigration activists have been making arguments about human rights conditions for years, but obviously we are at an extreme right now. What happens is officials and agents are given more and more latitude, transparency is blocked out, Congress is prevented from its legally mandated oversight, there is more and more pressure and stress on the actual agents as more and more immigrants are detained, the WH rhetoric becomes more extreme, all rolled into the incompetence and lying which is the de facto practice of this administration, and then one day there will be an expose about how bad things have gotten. There will be some tragic report about mistreatment replete with photos.
Additionally, what path forward do we have where these camps are closed now?  Obama tried to close Guantanamo, but found it very difficult/impossible politically to do so.  The case load is growing faster than cases are being resolved.  How does this end? 

If history is a guide what happens from here is that they don't end.  They run out of space and the camps become overcrowded.  Then politicians start complaining about the expense of housing all of "them".  And eventually you end up with malnutrition, disease and widespread mental illness.  Possibly abusive guards -- a lot of people aren't equipped to handle that environment without turning on the prisoners.

This constant BS of "I don't know what you are talking about" is old and tired and quite frankly, immature.  It is what my 12 year old son does when I catch him doing something he isn't supposed to do.

Joe called you out on it yesterday and here you are doing it again.  I'm done with you as any real discussion is impossible.
I'm sorry you feel this way, I always enjoy interacting with you and considered you the anonymous message board equivalent of a friend.

But I honestly have no idea what you're talking about here. I didn't say "I don't know what you're talking about" in the previous posts (although obviously I'm saying it now, because I genuinely don't). I responded to your thoughts on the semantics controversy with my own. For the life of me I don't know why that set you off.

On a positive note now we wont have to listen to people get bent out of shape when somebody calls her a socialist.

Well, Tim can still be upset. 

Users who are viewing this thread