What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread (4 Viewers)

AOC is at it again - now promoting the idea that statues of despicable people like Saint Damien is "patriarchy and white supremacist culture".
The beginning to the article really makes me not want to continue reading.  It acts as though she was some rich brat and ignores the context that she had not even started her job and had to find a place to live in one of the most expensive places in the country. 

The beginning to the article really makes me not want to continue reading.  It acts as though she was some rich brat and ignores the context that she had not even started her job and had to find a place to live in one of the most expensive places in the country. 
Don't worry, you're not missing anything by not reading that article.  I read that one and a few more on right wing or religious websites and not a single one of them even explained what AOC's point was or why she was randomly attacking some Catholic Saint.  It wasn't until I looked at her Twitter that I was able to piece the story together.  Every state gets to have two statues in the Capitol building.  AOC posted on twitter about how they were almost all white men, even in a place like Hawaii.  That has been twisted by @Sand into her saying that St. Damien was "despicable."  It's total nonsense.

In any case, it's pretty rich for right wing folks to invoke a saint who helped poor sick people to criticize AOC.  I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say St. Damien would probably be a fan of Medicare For All. 

Don't worry, you're not missing anything by not reading that article.  I read that one and a few more on right wing or religious websites and not a single one of them even explained what AOC's point was or why she was randomly attacking some Catholic Saint.  It wasn't until I looked at her Twitter that I was able to piece the story together.  Every state gets to have two statues in the Capitol building.  AOC posted on twitter about how they were almost all white men, even in a place like Hawaii.  That has been twisted by @Sand into her saying that St. Damien was "despicable."  It's total nonsense.

In any case, it's pretty rich for right wing folks to invoke a saint who helped poor sick people to criticize AOC.  I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say St. Damien would probably be a fan of Medicare For All. 
Context and intent are important.

I think we need to focus less on looks and social media presence and more on sanity, intelligence,  and rationality.   

eta: I just looked her up on google and the first two tweets they posted talked about the 'lunatic left'. 
Assuming she’s talking about AOC, Bernie, etc., I’d say she’s pretty much spot-on :shrug:

Assuming she’s talking about AOC, Bernie, etc., I’d say she’s pretty much spot-on :shrug:
Cool.  

ETA:  that wasn't very constructive.  I will also point out that you aren't running for office or probably not in a position of leadership in a similar capacity.  Just saying I hoped we would expect a little more out of them vs. random internet guy. 

Last edited by a moderator:
No $$$$$.   Esshaki who won the primary has big donors to oust Haley Stevens and I guess that is all that matters. 

Greco was pretty much on her own with little $$$$.   So instead of a Hispanic woman running against Stevens we get a young white attorney from a very affluent area running against Stevens.  

Add Emmy award nominee to the resume:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez @AOC

So... while 2020 is highly unpredictable, I *definitely* did not expect to be nominated for an Emmy Award for our Green New Deal project with 
@theintercept, @mollycrabapple, @NaomiAKlein & others.

Rather shocked & very grateful.

The latest gem:

"NYPD union endorsed Trump. I’m sure this is part of their neighborhood outreach plan. Also, does anyone else see a potential problem with police unions - enforcement arms of the state with lethal weapons - promoting “preferred” candidates for office or is that just me?"

I continue to be amazed at what she has to say.  The hypocrisy here is just stunning.

• Laughing
Reactions: rct
The latest gem:

"NYPD union endorsed Trump. I’m sure this is part of their neighborhood outreach plan. Also, does anyone else see a potential problem with police unions - enforcement arms of the state with lethal weapons - promoting “preferred” candidates for office or is that just me?"

I continue to be amazed at what she has to say.  The hypocrisy here is just stunning.
What is the hypocrisy?

• Thinking
Reactions: rct
The latest gem:

This isn’t her most well thought out comment, but is it really stunning?  She’s young and is going to occasionally make comments she later regrets. 

If you find this stunning, you must be speechless and dumbfounded by what you see from conservatives these days.  

That's why, in some ways, she's the left's version of Trump. She tweets emotionally and without thinking, just like Trump always does.  Plenty of differences of course, but they are virtually alike in that regard.

This isn’t her most well thought out comment, but is it really stunning?  She’s young and is going to occasionally make comments she later regrets. 

If you find this stunning, you must be speechless and dumbfounded by what you see from conservatives these days.  
All the time.  Both sides.

Democrats take money from the teachers unions.  
Expand that out to many, many public sector unions.

Funny enough, That reminds me of the latest call from some on the left to disband the police unions.  I think that's a great idea, but to carry that off you have to apply that kind of ban equally and disband all public sector unions.  FDR was spot on when he said they were a detriment.

I don't think that makes her hypocritcal...she is talking specifically about enforcement arms of the state.  I don't think it makes her right...(though many unions like that need major overhaul even the ones that support democrats...because the Taxpayer isn't well represented in any negotiations IMO.

She was whining while in a congressional hearing about her student loans.

To then spend 250+ on your hair is really dumb. I know you know this. 
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez @AOC · 34s

US House candidate, NY-14

Last year Republicans sent a firehouse of hatred + vitriol my way because I treated myself to a $250 cut & lowlights on my birthday.

Where’s the criticism of their idol spending $70k on hairstyling?

Oh, it’s nowhere because they’re spineless, misogynistic hypocrites? Got it.

Tough.  But fair.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez @AOC · 34s

US House candidate, NY-14

Last year Republicans sent a firehouse of hatred + vitriol my way because I treated myself to a $250 cut & lowlights on my birthday.

Where’s the criticism of their idol spending $70k on hairstyling?

Oh, it’s nowhere because they’re spineless, misogynistic hypocrites? Got it.

Tough.  But fair.
:lmao: ...the real hypocrisy is the idiotic vitriol she spews out and is shocked when people respond in kind.

Users who are viewing this thread