Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread

5 hours ago, jon_mx said:

So after all these dramatic stories of AOC hiding in her bathroom in fearfor her life from the rioters with several close encountersand accusing Ted Cruz of trying to have her murdered......It turns outAOC was not even in the Capitol building during the riots, but down the streetinthe Cannon building.

AOC is the newJussie Smollett. What a piece of work.

Your link is broken. But, yeah, when I read that this morning my eyes nearly rolled out of my head.:rolleyes:

Next shell claim that she too is being targeted by Jewish space lasers.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If thats the case he can do what I said. Hes doing this instead because he knows she cant say yes or every dog-whistling idiot with a fan base would feel like they couldbuy their way onto t

Yea, making sure everyone has access to healthcare is just as disgusting as white supremacy.

Republican Rep. Ted Yoho on Saturday resigned from the board of the Christian anti-poverty organization Bread for the World days after he verbally attacked Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

1 hour ago, General Malaise said:

I like that you Trump lovers have come to really value the importance of honesty from politicians. I mark this as a sign of progress as we move forward in life.

What Trump lovers? Could've just said "My bad"

7 hours ago, jon_mx said:

So after all these dramatic stories of AOC hiding in her bathroom in fearfor her life from the rioters with several close encountersand accusing Ted Cruz of trying to have her murdered......It turns outAOC was not even in the Capitol building during the riots, but down the streetinthe Cannon building.

AOC is the newJussie Smollett. What a piece of work.

The emojis take away from the article.

This is disturbing is that AOC would lie about some

thing of this magnitude. It is stuff like this that makes me hate politics in general.

Edited by Summer Wheat
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Apparently she may not have been lying. Other staffers that were there back her story:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-ari-rabin-havt-capitol-riots-donald-trump-1566785%3famp=1

There seems to be a real effort to question her veracity about all of this. I have to wonder about the motivation.

Im going to guess similar to what we see here...because it was her who said it.

Im sure she stretched things a bit (and she does like the attention)..but this whole...she wasn't in the building part is odd. The building was evacuated...no? Was she in the building when people first started trying to get in? Evacuated then to her office building...which then too was evacuated?

37 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Apparently she may not have been lying. Other staffers that were there back her story:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-ari-rabin-havt-capitol-riots-donald-trump-1566785%3famp=1

There seems to be a real effort to question her veracity about all of this. I have to wonder about the motivation.

Do you really wonder?

28 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Im going to guess similar to what we see here...because it was her who said it.

Im sure she stretched things a bit (and she does like the attention)..but this whole...she wasn't in the building part is odd. The building was evacuated...no? Was she in the building when people first started trying to get in? Evacuated then to her office building...which then too was evacuated?

Im going to say again: Im not a fan of AOC.
But the way some folks are reacting to her is very reminiscent to me of the way Christine Blasey Ford was treated.

• Laughing 1
34 minutes ago, timschochet said:

But the way some folks are reacting to her is very reminiscent to me of the way Christine Blasey Ford was treated.

Yeeesh. What a terrible comparison

• Like 2
1 hour ago, timschochet said:

She was absolutely lying. There were zero rioters stroming the halls anywhere near where she was. She wants to spin it as though that whole area is the Capitol becauses there are tunnels that connect all the buildings. It is a huge backtrack from her story. And the fact she accused Ted Cruz of trying to help her get murdered is indefensible. She should be censored for such nonsense.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, DaVinci said:

Your link is broken. But, yeah, when I read that this morning my eyes nearly rolled out of my head.:rolleyes:

Next shell claim that she too is being targeted by Jewish space lasers.

Yep, she is still playing the victim card, even when she is caught. She is Trump.

It was not a link. It was my write-up based on a couple articles i saw. I underlined it for emphasis.

Edited by jon_mx
2 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

She should be censored for such nonsense.

Eh, let's not go overboard here. If we censured every member of congress who exaggerated a personal anecdote we would do nothing but sit around censuring people all day. This is one of those times where it's better just to laugh a little, make a note, and move on.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, timschochet said:

Add Tara Reid to that list.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Eh, let's not go overboard here. If we censured every member of congress who exaggerated a personal anecdote we would do nothing but sit around censuring people all day. This is one of those times where it's better just to laugh a little, make a note, and move on.

If it were just exaggerating/lying, i would agree. But when you combine it with accussing a member witha felony it rises to thatlevel.

59 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Yeeesh. What a terrible comparison

If Tim wants to put AOC and Blasey Ford in the same category, fine with me. You would only group them together if you thought their stories were equally compelling. Really an insult to Ford to do so.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

If it were just exaggerating/lying, i would agree. But when you combine it with accussing a member witha felony it rises to thatlevel.

Even that's going too far. "Ted Cruz tried to have me murdered" is obviously a stupid exaggeration. "Ted Cruz behaved despicably by encouraging an insurrection that could have harmed members of congress, including me" would have been fine and is a more charitable interpretation of what she was trying unsuccessfully to say.

5 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Even that's going too far. "Ted Cruz tried to have me murdered" is obviously a stupid exaggeration. "Ted Cruz behaved despicably by encouraging an insurrection that could have harmed members of congress, including me" would have been fine and is a more charitable interpretation of what she was trying unsuccessfully to say.

By now we know she tends to lean to the hyperbolic side when tweeting. Much like another person who is not in office anymore.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

She was absolutely lying. There were zero rioters stroming the halls anywhere near where she was. She wants to spin it as though that whole area is the Capitol becauses there are tunnels that connect all the buildings. It is a huge backtrack from her story. And the fact she accused Ted Cruz of trying to help her get murdered is indefensible. She should be censored for such nonsense.

Well, go censor her, GB. Get after it! :thumbup:

50 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Not an exaggeration.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1354848253729234944?s=19

18 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I think you meant to something else. That link just goes back to AOC's original statement.

I meant she really was trying to say this. It's not an exaggeration. It's just a straight lie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Insein said:

I meant she really was trying to say this. It's not an exaggeration. It's just a straight lie.

I totally misunderstood what you were trying to say, which I guess is ironic in context. Sorry -- my fault.

• Thanks 1

This took 15 seconds. I'm sure a deeper dive would find a lot more detail:

Scott MacFarlane@MacFarlaneNews [1:42pm, January 6th]

NEW: US Capitol Police warning to Cannon House Office Bldg staff: "If you are in the Cannon Building, take visitors, escape hoods, and Go Kits and report to the South tunnel connecting to the Longworth Bldg"

ETA: I'll correct myself here. This evac notice was for the bomb threat.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
27 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

This took 15 seconds. I'm sure a deeper dive would find a lot more detail:

ETA: I'll correct myself here. This evac notice was for the bomb threat.

But shows it was evacuated due to...get this...possible danger. Add in the situation as to what was happening inthe Capitol building and I think reasonable people would be fearing for their safety.

5 hours ago, sho nuff said:

Im sure she stretched things a bit (and she does like the attention)..but this whole...she wasn't in the building part is odd.

DHS, Secret Service, DSS and the Capitol Police asked those in Congress to not comment on logistics of the building layout in public. ( i.e. I was here, doing this, but rioters who breached the outer level of security didn't know about these people hidden here, etc, etc)

AOC should have said nothing. The Congresswoman who denounced her, Mace, should have said nothing as well.

AOC lies were for political capital. However she created an increased risk factor for existing security elements, clerks, secretaries, technicians, janitors, cooks, etc, etc.

She lied for herself, common people will bear the cost of it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Insein said:

Everyone in politics lies so that is not a shock. Be wise not to tweet your lies though. We see where that got Trump. AOC needs to take a step back from Twitter and just concentrate on her constituents for awhile.

Edited by Summer Wheat
4 hours ago, jon_mx said:

If Tim wants to put AOC and Blasey Ford in the same category, fine with me. You would only group them together if you thought their stories were equally compelling. Really an insult to Ford to do so.

and Ford's story was insulting.

1 hour ago, Summer Wheat said:

Everyone in politics lies so that is not a shock. Be wise not to tweet your lies though. We see where that got Trump. AOC needs to take a step back from Twitter and just concentrate on her constituents for awhile.

Nah she just doubled down with a 90 min instagram video about an experience that never happened.

2 hours ago, Insein said:

Nah she just doubled down with a 90 min instagram video about an experience that never happened.

She is telling the truth! It is impossible for an oppressed minority sexual-abuse victim to lie about someone trying to murder her. Victims never lie, even when they are lying.

• Laughing 1
28 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

She is telling the truth! It is impossible for an oppressed minority sexual-abuse victim to lie about someone trying to murder her. Victims never lie, even when they are lying.

Why do care so much to be this outraged?

40 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Because she's not just admitting she lied. She's going after people and telling her followers to mass report them for harassment for just calling her out on it. Someone with her twitter following wields a lot of weight when it comes to silencing opponents.

You can say what you want about Trump, he never led mass reporting harassment campaigns against individuals he disagreed with to have them removed from the public forum.

Just in case anyone interested in this and wants to know what really happened:

Since RepresentativeAlexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the New York Democrat, took to Instagram Live on Monday to describe what the Jan. 6 riot was like from inside the Capitol complex, critics have claimed that she wasnt where she said she was, or that she couldnt have experienced what she described from her location.

These claims are false.

While Ms. Ocasio-Cortez was not in the main, domed Capitol building when the rioters breached it, she never said she was. She accurately described being in the Cannon House Office Building, which is part of the Capitol complex and is connected to the main building by tunnels.

In her livestream, Ms. Ocasio-Cortez recalled hiding in a bathroom and thinking she was going to die as unknown people entered her office and shouted, Where is she? They turned out to be Capitol Police officers who had not clearly identified themselves, and Ms. Ocasio-Cortez said so on Instagram. She did not claim that they were rioters only that, from her hiding spot, she initially thought they were.

During the riot,reporters wrote on Twitterthat the Cannon building was being evacuated because of credible threats, and that Capitol Police officers were running through the hallways and entering offices just as Ms. Ocasio-Cortez described.

The false claims about her statements have spread widely online, much of the backlash stemming from an article on the conservative RedState blog and a livestream from the right-wing commentator Steven Crowder. On Thursday, Representative Nancy Mace, Republican of South Carolina, tweeted, Im two doors down from @aoc and no insurrectionists stormed our hallway.

But Ms. Ocasio-Cortez never said insurrectionists had stormed that hallway, and Ms. Mace herself has described being frightened enough to barricade her own door.

As the Capitol complex was stormed and people were being killed, none of us knew in the moment what areas were compromised,Ms. Ocasio-Cortez tweetedin response to Ms. Maces post. (A spokeswoman for Ms. Ocasio-Cortez said the lawmaker had no additional comment.)

Others have corroborated Ms. Ocasio-Cortezs account and confirmed that the Cannon building was threatened, even though the rioters did not ultimately breach it.

Ari Rabin-Havt, a deputy manager for Senator Bernie Sanderss 2020 presidential campaign,tweetedthat he was in the Capitol tunnels during the attack. As Mr. Rabin-Havt moved toward the Cannon building, he wrote, members of a SWAT team yelled at him to find a hiding place.

And Representative Katie Porter, Democrat of California,said on MSNBCthat after the Cannon building was evacuated, she and Ms. Ocasio-Cortez sheltered in Ms. Porters office in another building. She said Ms. Ocasio-Cortez was clearly terrified, opening closets to try to find hiding places and wishing aloud that she had worn flats instead of heels in case she had to run.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Thank you. As I wrote her account seems very believable. And the people attacking her sound very much like the ones who attacked Blasey Ford, who also gavevery believable testimony.

• Laughing 1
2 hours ago, General Malaise said:

Lol...outraged? What are you talking about? And why wouldyou care and why are you a huge hypocrit? This is a discussion board. Topics get discussed. If this topic does not interest you then go to another topic. But here you are getting all huffy about this and falsely projecting outrage. Lol.

Edited by jon_mx
  • Like 1
50 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Lol...half the damn city is connected by tunnels. It does not make it the same building.She told stories of hearing rioters storming the halls and a lot of other bs including accusing a member of Congress if trying to have her murdered. You guys are bending over backwards to try to defend this drsma queen who villianizes every one on the other side. You guys mercerlessly criticized Trump Supporters fou four years for such behavior and now you are doing the exact same thing.

• Love 1

Here is some of the bs AOC spewed...

ALEXANDRIA OCASIO-CORTEZ:I had a pretty traumatizing event happen to me. And I do not know if I can even disclose the full details of that event due to security concerns. But I can tell you that I had a very close encounter where I thought I was going to die.

What was the traumatizing event? A police officer came by tocheck that she was ok. The whole story is framed with one lie after another. In what universe is a police officer checking on you an event she can't disclose? And how is that a traumatzing event that she babbles on about for 10 minutes about. Nothing but a lying drama queen.

Edited by jon_mx
2 hours ago, jon_mx said:

Lol...half the damn city is connected by tunnels. It does not make it the same building.She told stories of hearing rioters storming the halls and a lot of other bs including accusing a member of Congress if trying to have her murdered. You guys are bending over backwards to try to defend this drsma queen who villianizes every one on the other side. You guys mercerlessly criticized Trump Supporters fou four years for such behavior and now you are doing the exact same thing.

BS

12 minutes ago, FairWarning said:

I see where AOC is coming from. I slipped and fell on the ice this morning, blaming Ted Cruz for this. It was very tramatic.

Please tell me you made a 90-minute video of this explaining in the most dramatic bad acting possible how traumatized your were and postedit on instagram which was then picked up by an eager and gullible media who were hungryfor stories which fit their fear-mongering narrative. And please when you get called out for your lies, make new versions of the story and condemn people who dare call you out.

Edited by jon_mx
  • Like 1
36 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

It feels like an entire party thats based around insane irrational fears is criticizing AOC for overreacting to a genuinely confusing and scary situation.

While this is true, I do agree that AOC is pulling a bit of a drama queen thing here.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, jon_mx said:

Please tell me you made a 90-minute video of this explaining in the most dramatic bad acting possible how traumatized your were and postedit on instagram which was then picked up by an eager and gullible media who were hungryfor stories which fit their fear-mongering narrative. And please when you get called out for your lies, make new versions of the story and condemn people who dare call you out.

Too cold out to make a 90 minute video. I really need to move to somewhere warmer.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

It feels like an entire party thats based around insane irrational fears is criticizing AOC for overreacting to a genuinely confusing and scary situation.

Like I said some time ago, she is the face of the party. Enjoy.

Edited by FairWarning
  • Like 1
48 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

What it actually is is denial and tribalism. You yahoos can spend thread after thread endlessly mocking denigrating and attacking people on the other side, but when one of your own becomes the target you turn your sites on the people pointing it out. OK, being a lying idiot self-righteous narcissisticdrama queen blowhard is perfectly fine when they are a Democrat. In fact it makes one a media darling and hero. I get it. But spare me your hypocrisy.

Edited by jon_mx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

Ah, good to know the Dems are criticizing her too

Well I think its not as simple as Hypocrisy! Lying! Drama Queen!

The two parties are scared of different things. This is glaringly obvious in every thread. People on the right talk about BLM protests like theyre the Hunger Games or something, with all the crazy rioting and murdering. Meanwhilea bunch of regular left-leaning people Im Facebook friends with went to a bunch of BLMrallies without incident and posted about how proud they were to bring their elementary school kids there. (Im sure my kids and I would have gone tooif not for COVID). The BLM protesters were my friends and neighbors, they werent packed with scary people. You guys are genuinely scared of immigrant caravans and sharia law and socialism, which all seem like absurd things to be scared of to me, but maybe not to you.

The video of January 6 was genuinely scary to me. Honestly just video footage of anaverage Trump rally was way scarier to me than BLM protests. You guys may see your friends and neighbors at the Trump rally, I see a bunch of unhinged irrational scary nut jobs. I dont interact with people like that. They are scary unknowns.

So for me when AOC says she was terrified, that rings absolutely true. Im sure that she viewed that crowd as scary in the same way I do. AndAOC is one of the most likely members of Congress to be targeted by that crowd and there were thousands of them breaking in, acting violent, saying threatening things, etc. Even if the crazies never actually got that close to her, she wouldnt have known from her hiding place where they were or what they were doing. I feel like I would have feared for my life in that situation.

Its entirely possible that specific statements of hers taken out of context might come across as over the top. If you respond to this post with what about when she said this?, Im sure you can make her seem like shes milking it. But I think theres ample reason to think both thatAOC was genuinely scared AND that such fear was reasonable in that situation.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Laughing 1