What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread (4 Viewers)

It has everything to do with it.  Complaining that the rich pay too much in income taxes ignores the the poor pay most other taxes.
The poor don't pay any taxes.  In fact, not only do they not pay any taxes they actually get money back for taxes that they didn't pay.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has everything to do with it.  Complaining that the rich pay too much in income taxes ignores the the poor pay most other taxes.

So it's your position that the rich don't pay their "fair share" of some taxes that poor people pay?  Because my point wasn't that poor people don't pay taxes, but that the notion that rich people don't pay their "fair share" is ridiculous on it's face.  The rich pay EVERY tax poor people do, and some that they don't.  There is no objective measure you can offer that will show rich people not paying their "fair share." 

So it's your position that the rich don't pay their "fair share" of some taxes that poor people pay?  Because my point wasn't that poor people don't pay taxes, but that the notion that rich people don't pay their "fair share" is ridiculous on it's face.  The rich pay EVERY tax poor people do, and some that they don't.  There is no objective measure you can offer that will show rich people not paying their "fair share." 
The most recent estimate I saw showed that the top 1% earn approximately 21% of the nation's income and pay approximately 24% of the nation's total tax burden.  For a country with a supposedly progressive tax system, that's barely progressive at all.

Here's an interesting graphic for those who think the rich pay far too much in taxes compared to the poor.

https://imgur.com/r/interestingas####/xhYCQh4

The rich pay EVERY tax poor people do, and some that they don't. 
If you're talking about the line item, that's true.  The problem is, of course, the % they pay as a result of tax loopholes that those with a lot of money are afforded and those that don't make a bunch of money aren't.  AGI is a huge boondoggle for the rich and even those of us in the middle class.  Any time you add "adjusted" anything into the mix, that contributes to uneven playing fields.

If you're talking about the line item, that's true.  The problem is, of course, the % they pay as a result of tax loopholes that those with a lot of money are afforded and those that don't make a bunch of money aren't.  AGI is a huge boondoggle for the rich and even those of us in the middle class.  Any time you add "adjusted" anything into the mix, that contributes to uneven playing fields.

Now do someone making 30k a year.......Look, don't get me wrong.  We could certainly make adjustments/increases and eliminate loopholes to our system.  I think it was Sand who has posted some good posts about this.  And I'm fine with that.  I just take issue with this constant pushing of the sentiment that the rich aren't paying much in taxes.  Even if they're not, which we can debate about but we'd be in a lot more debt if not for whatever they're contributing, they're paying a heck of a lot more both in absolute numbers AND in percentage than the people on the other end of the scale. 

Now do someone making 30k a year.......Look, don't get me wrong.  We could certainly make adjustments/increases and eliminate loopholes to our system.  I think it was Sand who has posted some good posts about this.  And I'm fine with that.  I just take issue with this constant pushing of the sentiment that the rich aren't paying much in taxes.  Even if they're not, which we can debate about but we'd be in a lot more debt if not for whatever they're contributing, they're paying a heck of a lot more both in absolute numbers AND in percentage than the people on the other end of the scale
The bolded just isn't true once you account for all taxes.  It's even less true if you include government fees (e.g. DMV license renewal).

I'll post this again since you appear to have missed it the first time: https://imgur.com/r/interestingas####/xhYCQh4

Look at the very end, 2018.

The bolded just isn't true once you account for all taxes.  It's even less true if you include government fees (e.g. DMV license renewal).

I'll post this again since you appear to have missed it the first time: https://imgur.com/r/interestingas####/xhYCQh4

Look at the very end, 2018.

Yeah, sorry, I'm not trusting the assertions of the NY Times who are relying on a book written by two extremely liberal economists.  At least not without reading the book to see what poor assumptions they're basing their conclusions on.  These two guys answer to the problem is a wealth tax.  I'll pass.

And quit saying you have to account for "all" taxes as if rich people don't pay other taxes other than income.  I'm pretty sure Jay Leno has to pay the DMV to register all those cars in his personal parking garage if he wants to drive them on public roads in CA.  Or do you think Jay Leno is cheating the DMV somehow? 

Yeah, sorry, I'm not trusting the assertions of the NY Times who are relying on a book written by two extremely liberal economists.  At least not without reading the book to see what poor assumptions they're basing their conclusions on.  These two guys answer to the problem is a wealth tax.  I'll pass.

And quit saying you have to account for "all" taxes as if rich people don't pay other taxes other than income.  I'm pretty sure Jay Leno has to pay the DMV to register all those cars in his personal parking garage if he wants to drive them on public roads in CA.  Or do you think Jay Leno is cheating the DMV somehow? 
OK, since you don't believe my evidence (apparently, "because sides"), do you have any evidence showing your assertion that "they're paying a heck of a lot more both in absolute numbers AND in percentage than the people on the other end of the scale"?

Re: your example above, that isn't a tax, it's a fee, which I added as an aside.  Fees wouldn't be included in the graphic I posted above.  In any case, while I have no doubt Jay Leno pays his DMV fees, the point is that his DMV fees are a much smaller, as in orders of magnitude smaller, percentage of his income than the DMV fees of your average middle class or poor person.

Now do someone making 30k a year.......Look, don't get me wrong.  We could certainly make adjustments/increases and eliminate loopholes to our system.  I think it was Sand who has posted some good posts about this.  And I'm fine with that.  I just take issue with this constant pushing of the sentiment that the rich aren't paying much in taxes.  Even if they're not, which we can debate about but we'd be in a lot more debt if not for whatever they're contributing, they're paying a heck of a lot more both in absolute numbers AND in percentage than the people on the other end of the scale. 
Scratch everything I said, I don't want the point to get lost in a fictitious example and lose the point.  The point I'm trying to make is that our tax code (as it pertains to income) is severely flawed.  It is designed to ignore earnings and the more you earn the more opportunity there is to ignore those earnings.  That's the problem.  A guy making $30K a year is not going to be in a situation where the government is not going to be taxing pretty much all his income.  A guy making $100K a year is going to have the government looking the other way on his behalf more and a guy making $1M a year is going to have the government looking the other way even more.

In my view, if you make $100K the tax code should recognize that and tax accordingly.  If you make $10, the tax code should recognize that and tax accordingly  If you make $5M the tax code should recognize that and tax accordingly.  

You actually think the rich don't pay sales tax, property tax and gasoline tax?  Wut?

But we're not talking about those taxes that EVERYONE pays, we're talking about income tax.  
You said the poor pay no taxes. I listed three taxes they paid, and then you changed the question.  At least now you admit that everyone pays taxes. 

You said the poor pay no taxes. I listed three taxes they paid, and then you changed the question.  At least now you admit that everyone pays taxes. 

Oh, this is one of those "I'm going to find a technical "gotcha' so I can 'getcha'" posts.  No different than the guy who comes charging in here complaining about spelling errors.  Okay.  Good work. 

Can you get back on topic now?  The overall arching topic and ideas we're talking about?  TIA.

Oh, this is one of those "I'm going to find a technical "gotcha' so I can 'getcha'" posts.  No different than the guy who comes charging in here complaining about spelling errors.  Okay.  Good work. 

Can you get back on topic now?  The overall arching topic and ideas we're talking about?  TIA.

Dude, you got the facts wrong, this was not just a correction of a spelling typo or a grammatical error. 😆

The poor don't pay any taxes.  In fact, not only do they not pay any taxes they actually get money back for taxes that they didn't pay.

You actually think the rich don't pay sales tax, property tax and gasoline tax?  Wut?

But we're not talking about those taxes that EVERYONE pays, we're talking about income tax.  

You keep trying to make this about me and you keep flailing.  Stay on point, hard charger.  :thumbup:
Threads like these would be a lot easier to read, if, in a situation like this, you would say something like, "You're right, I wrote the poor pay no taxes, and I should have specified income taxes." That would them be the end of it.  Instead, you accuse others of changing the subject in a misguided attempt to avoid your own post.  @IvanKaramazov, who you frequently claim to want to be more like, would have done exactly what I wrote above.

That said, if you want to address the topic at hand, do you have any comments on the data showing the absolute wealthiest among us pay a lower percentage of combined taxes than any other group?

I think we can agree that the rich do pay their fair share of taxes.  They are also in a better position to take advantage of loopholes.

Threads like these would be a lot easier to read, if, in a situation like this, you would say something like, "You're right, I wrote the poor pay no taxes, and I should have specified income taxes." That would them be the end of it.  Instead, you accuse others of changing the subject in a misguided attempt to avoid your own post.  @IvanKaramazov, who you frequently claim to want to be more like, would have done exactly what I wrote above.

That said, if you want to address the topic at hand, do you have any comments on the data showing the absolute wealthiest among us pay a lower percentage of combined taxes than any other group?

Threads like these would be easier to read if guys like you and your crew wouldn't derail them with inconsequential nonsense.  You purposefully distract and throw up smoke screens to deflect from the issue we are talking about, which is that the rich do not pay their fair share - that's income taxes.

No on is talking about property tax, or goods tax or gasoline tax - the rich pay those too so when someone says "the poor don't pay taxes", it's patently clear that it's income tax we're talking about, especially when it's YOUR member of congress - and the one who this thread is dedicated to - who is screaming "THE RICH DON'T PAY THEIR FAIR SHARE!".  You really think she's talking about gasoline taxes?  The taxes you pay on a bottle of Downy?  Give me a break.  EVERYONE pays those taxes.

You and your crew bringing stuff like that up is no different than having a debate with a guy and he starts criticizing your spelling or grammar.  It's irrelevant and unnecessary because it's not germane to the discussion at hand.  It's the go-to tactic for those who can't argue on the merits.

You and your crew have spent, what?  A good 2 pages now focusing on some inconsequential bull#### about gasoline taxes and goods taxes when those were NEVER what we were talking about.  Please stop derailing this thread and get back on topic.

Threads like these would be easier to read if guys like you and your crew wouldn't derail them with inconsequential nonsense.  You purposefully distract and throw up smoke screens to deflect from the issue we are talking about, which is that the poor do not pay income taxes.

No on is talking about property tax, or goods tax or gasoline tax - the rich pay those too so when someone says "the poor don't pay taxes", it's patently clear that it's income tax we're talking about, especially when it's YOUR member of congress - and the one who this thread is dedicated to - who is screaming "THE RICH DON'T PAY THEIR FAIR SHARE!".  You really think she's talking about gasoline taxes?  The taxes you pay on a bottle of Downy?  Give me a break.  EVERYONE pays those taxes.

You and your crew bringing stuff like that up is no different than having a debate with a guy and he starts criticizing your spelling or grammar.  It's irrelevant and unnecessary because it's not germane to the discussion at hand.  It's the go-to tactic for those who can't argue on the merits.
This is where we disagree. I am specifically talking about all taxes. Taxes don’t occur in a vacuum.

Someone making $20K spends a much bigger portion of their income on gasoline than someone making $300K.   Groceries and housing make up a much bigger percentage of the lower class budget.  They don’t have extra money to put in the tax deferred or tax advantaged accounts.

If you want to talk about income tax, and separately from all of the other taxes, please be specific.  I think it makes for a weaker conversation, especially when we tax labor at higher rates than capital gains, but if that is what you want I’d be happy to humor you.

Patrick Ewing once said about being wealthy "We might make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money too!"  :)

Threads like these would be easier to read if guys like you and your crew wouldn't derail them with inconsequential nonsense.  You purposefully distract and throw up smoke screens to deflect from the issue we are talking about, which is that the rich do not pay their fair share - that's income taxes.

You and your crew have spent, what?  A good 2 pages now focusing on some inconsequential bull#### about gasoline taxes and goods taxes when those were NEVER what we were talking about.  Please stop derailing this thread and get back on topic.
What's the topic?  I thought the topic was whether the rich pay their fair share of taxes?  Limiting "taxes" to "federal income taxes" is ludicrous.  Taxes means taxes.  All taxes.

I showed earlier in the thread that the absolute wealthiest among us pay the lowest percentage of their income in taxes.  Do you care to discuss that or would you rather just make more baseless assertions about "your side"?

Dude, you specifically stated that the poor pay NO TAXES. You were called out for that patently false statement and pointing that out is not inconsequential nonsense.

The gap is significantly closer between the rich and the poor the more taxes you include.  If one speaks ONLY of income taxes, the statement that "the top don't pay their fair share" isn't remotely controversial.  Most of the uber wealthy have no income as defined by this country and they continue to make billions every year.  Buffet will tell you this in front of a live studio audience.  I'm not sure what we're arguing about here.

The gap is significantly closer between the rich and the poor the more taxes you include.  If one speaks ONLY of income taxes, the statement that "the top don't pay their fair share" isn't remotely controversial.  Most of the uber wealthy have no income as defined by this country and they continue to make billions every year.  Buffet will tell you this in front of a live studio audience.  I'm not sure what we're arguing about here.
As I've noted previously, if you want to tax the wealthy it's all about capital gains taxes (and closing the carried interest loophole).  Changing tax rules on portfolio loans is another item to close.  I don't see anything wrong with adding some more levels to the cap gains taxes.  Need to make it so that investing is still attractive (poor people don't invest at a large scale and we need that risk taking).  

What's the topic?  I thought the topic was whether the rich pay their fair share of taxes?  Limiting "taxes" to "federal income taxes" is ludicrous.  Taxes means taxes.  All taxes.

I showed earlier in the thread that the absolute wealthiest among us pay the lowest percentage of their income in taxes.  Do you care to discuss that or would you rather just make more baseless assertions about "your side"?
You're the one making baseless assertions.  You're digging your hole deeper.

I'm sure AOC is talking about the gasoline tax when she says the rich don't pay their fair share. Absurd.

John123 said:

That book was debunked

Eta: for example they removed the EITC. They started with a conclusion and worked backward. 

Sand said:
As I've noted previously, if you want to tax the wealthy it's all about capital gains taxes (and closing the carried interest loophole).  Changing tax rules on portfolio loans is another item to close.  I don't see anything wrong with adding some more levels to the cap gains taxes.  Need to make it so that investing is still attractive (poor people don't invest at a large scale and we need that risk taking).  
Exactly.  The political talking points of incremental rates only apply to earned income.  This doesn't really affect the top end people who make most of their income through capital gains.  As a small business owner of a S-Corp, I pay tax on the business earnings personally.  The CPA in me just cringes when I hear people who don't understand the tax code spout off political talking points about the rich and incremental rates with no clue about what really causes disparity in taxes per dollar earned.

There is no point engaging him in any substantive dialogue.  This thread is the same as all the others.  I honestly don’t understand why it’s allowed.  

Says the guy that lives in the Trump thread.
It's just hilarious that they come in these threads and they come up with some nitpicky b******* that derailed the entire thread and then blame the other guys for not wanting a "substantive dialog".

Give me a break. The gas lighting is beyond ludicrous speed here.

Sand said:
Right. Ive outlined multiple approaches in the past and CG is always part of it. There is really no meaningful solution without it. The rich are happy with the focus on income alone.  Its simply shortsighted and wrong to focus merely on income. 

BladeRunner said:
You're the one making baseless assertions.  You're digging your hole deeper.

I'm sure AOC is talking about the gasoline tax when she says the rich don't pay their fair share. Absurd.
Carry on.  Apparently, you're the only one allowed to determine the topic and what the appropriate responses can be.  It's to the point where there's no point in engaging.  You refuse to discuss issues and make literally every single post either "your side!!!1!" or "2016-2020!!!" or "you're ruining the thread!1!!"  Every.  Single.  Post.  Before you respond, go back and point me to just one of your posts that's substantive.  Just one.

Carry on.  Apparently, you're the only one allowed to determine the topic and what the appropriate responses can be.  It's to the point where there's no point in engaging.  You refuse to discuss issues and make literally every single post either "your side!!!1!" or "2016-2020!!!" or "you're ruining the thread!1!!"  Every.  Single.  Post.  Before you respond, go back and point me to just one of your posts that's substantive.  Just one.

Gaslighting: its what you do.

You guys are the one that came in here and started to derail the thread about off-topic inconsequential BS.  I know you can't argue on the merits so you and your crew went after me instead.

Again, it's what you do. That's what you're trained to do.

I would appreciate if you don't engage because I want to talk about topics and you want to talk about me.

Maybe you and your pals could start another thread on me and talk about me there instead?  You could call it the Blade Runner Derangement Syndrome thread.  By having my own thread we can contain you guys there instead of derailing other threads.

TIA!

I would appreciate if you don't engage because I want to talk about topics and you want to talk about me.
So, you can't point to a single substantive post you've made?  Of course, I already knew that.  Just for kicks, here are your last nine posts in this forum.

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/768581-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-thread/page/219/?tab=comments#comment-23610709 - Complaint about "your side".

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/800581-an-nyu-professor-says-fewer-men-going-to-college-will-lead-to-a-mating-crisis-with-the-us-producing-too-many-lone-and-broke-men/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-23610708 - Complaint about "your side".

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/768581-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-thread/page/219/?tab=comments#comment-23610494 - Complaint about "your side".

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/800581-an-nyu-professor-says-fewer-men-going-to-college-will-lead-to-a-mating-crisis-with-the-us-producing-too-many-lone-and-broke-men/?tab=comments#comment-23610253 - Complaint about "your side".

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/768581-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-thread/page/219/?tab=comments#comment-23609911 - Complaint about another poster.

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/800581-an-nyu-professor-says-fewer-men-going-to-college-will-lead-to-a-mating-crisis-with-the-us-producing-too-many-lone-and-broke-men/?tab=comments#comment-23609870 - Complaint about another poster.

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/790013-official-president-joe-biden-thread/page/134/?tab=comments#comment-23609557 - I don't really know, I'm not following that thread.

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/798345-january-6-defendants/page/14/?tab=comments#comment-23609554 - Feeble attempt at a joke?

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/768581-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-thread/page/219/?tab=comments#comment-23609534 - Complaint about "your side".

Impressive.  7 of the 9 posts are complaints about other posters who are trying desperately to get you to stay on topic.  I'll put you back on ignore, it'll make everyone's life better.

So, you can't point to a single substantive post you've made?  Of course, I already knew that.  Just for kicks, here are your last nine posts in this forum.

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/768581-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-thread/page/219/?tab=comments#comment-23610709 - Complaint about "your side".

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/800581-an-nyu-professor-says-fewer-men-going-to-college-will-lead-to-a-mating-crisis-with-the-us-producing-too-many-lone-and-broke-men/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-23610708 - Complaint about "your side".

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/768581-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-thread/page/219/?tab=comments#comment-23610494 - Complaint about "your side".

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/800581-an-nyu-professor-says-fewer-men-going-to-college-will-lead-to-a-mating-crisis-with-the-us-producing-too-many-lone-and-broke-men/?tab=comments#comment-23610253 - Complaint about "your side".

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/768581-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-thread/page/219/?tab=comments#comment-23609911 - Complaint about another poster.

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/800581-an-nyu-professor-says-fewer-men-going-to-college-will-lead-to-a-mating-crisis-with-the-us-producing-too-many-lone-and-broke-men/?tab=comments#comment-23609870 - Complaint about another poster.

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/790013-official-president-joe-biden-thread/page/134/?tab=comments#comment-23609557 - I don't really know, I'm not following that thread.

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/798345-january-6-defendants/page/14/?tab=comments#comment-23609554 - Feeble attempt at a joke?

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/768581-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-thread/page/219/?tab=comments#comment-23609534 - Complaint about "your side".

Impressive.  7 of the 9 posts are complaints about other posters who are trying desperately to get you to stay on topic.  I'll put you back on ignore, it'll make everyone's life better.

Yeah but the problem is is you think that they were trying to get me on topic when all they were doing was talking about me and about the deflection that they introduced into the conversation.

I'm asking you once again to stay on topic please. Stop making this about me.

I can't make it any clearer to you. We're not talking about gasoline taxes in here.

Amazing that the media follows such an ineffective congress person the way they do AOC.

AOC introduced a total of 21 bills which the center defined as “substantive” — but that is where her story ends. Her legislation has received no action in committees, no floor votes, and none ever became law, according to data from Congress.gov.

Amazing that the media follows such an ineffective congress person the way they do AOC.

AOC introduced a total of 21 bills which the center defined as “substantive” — but that is where her story ends. Her legislation has received no action in committees, no floor votes, and none ever became law, according to data from Congress.gov.
Are they? I never hear a thing about her except here.

Can't speak to our national news coverage, but it doesn't surprise me at all (if true) that they cover her.  Our media is driven by what gets your eyeballs.  "News" is the last thing on their minds.

But, this just illustrates the nonsense and hyperventilation over this woman here in the PSF.  I've never understood it.  It's almost like once Hillary was gone they needed a new focus.  Gotta scratch that itch, right?

To be fair, most of Congress is ineffective.  Over 16,000 bills were introduced last session - 90% weren't voted on.   Out of 9,424 this year, 41 have become laws.  Around 5% have any action on them.  

Then you only go here.   

Microsoft News feed runs articles all the time as if she is the only person in congress.
I'm assuming you are talking about msn?  The more you hover over, stop on or click stories about her, the more you're going to see.  That's how it works in this day and age.  Same with yahoo, google news etc.  

Users who are viewing this thread