What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Thread (2 Viewers)

IvanKaramazov said:
AOC decided it was a good idea to get into a spat with Jason Furman, apparently with no idea of who he is or the standing he enjoys in the economics discipline. 
It’s not what you know, it’s how loud you can scream it that counts.

IvanKaramazov said:
AOC decided it was a good idea to get into a spat with Jason Furman, apparently with no idea of who he is or the standing he enjoys in the economics discipline. 
I'm not sure that's an objective view of that particular exchange.  Which was with Glenn Kessler, not with Jason Furman, thought it referenced a Furman paper.  And which ended with this:

@AOC: I am criticizing the rationale of saying we should trust a questioned source paper because of a standing friendship and X admin, bc neither preclude the possibility of revolving door politics - if the tweet read as though I was going after @jasonfurman specifically, I apologize.

@jasonfurman: Thanks for this, I appreciate you saying it was nothing personal. I hope to work with you on one of our many shared interests sometime.

To my knowledge, those were the only tweets exchanged between the two.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure that's an objective view of that particular exchange.  Which was with Glenn Kessler, not with Jason Furman, thought it referenced a Furman paper.  And which ended with this:

@AOC: I am criticizing the rationale of saying we should trust a questioned source paper because of a standing friendship and X admin, bc neither preclude the possibility of revolving door politics - if the tweet read as though I was going after @jasonfurman specifically, I apologize.

@jasonfurman: Thanks for this, I appreciate you saying it was nothing personal. I hope to work with you on one of our many shared interests sometime.

To my knowledge, those were the only tweets exchanged between the two.
She accused him of being a bought-and-paid for lobbyist on behalf of Wal-Mart and used him as an example of the proverbial "revolving door."  That was sort of slanderous.

She accused him of being a bought-and-paid for lobbyist on behalf of Wal-Mart and used him as an example of the proverbial "revolving door."  That was sort of slanderous.
I think you may be over-reading her tweets.

If the point of fact-checking is to enforce some objective standard, why would @GlennKesslerWP use a Walmart-funded think tank as reference material for wage fairness? That’s like citing the foxes to fact-check the hens. Here’s 4 Geppettos for your contested Pinocchios
Check the name of the author: Jason Furman, chairman of Council of Economic Advisers under Obama. He's someone I have known for 20+ years and he is simply citing some basic economics. I included the link only because his discussion of the economics was detailed and thorough.
Revolving-door politics doesn’t care what admin a person worked for. The truth is, many folks come to govmnt to collect a title, & leave to collect a lobbyist check. WaPo itself touched on this by covering the Harvard Orientation. You’re legitimizing that by citing this study.

Daniel Drezner: You might want to do a little research on Jason Furman and then apologize for the implications in this tweet.
And then the two tweets I posted.  

Your interpretation of what she said may be a little much.  And she apologized for the implication.

Thanks a lot for putting me on her twitter page henry and Ivan.

Although the more I think about some of the arguments I am reading on there sound just like the ones I see here. 

People questioning heavily right leaning sources and quoting heavily left leaning sources, check!

People making incorrect statements and trying to twist what the actual point of the statement was, Check!

People being hypocrites, check! 

Now I just need to see some trolling accusations and some "i heard it on talk radio" quotes on there and I can call it a day. 

Thanks a lot for putting me on her twitter page henry and Ivan.

Although the more I think about some of the arguments I am reading on there sound just like the ones I see here. 

People questioning heavily right leaning sources and quoting heavily left leaning sources, check!

People making incorrect statements and trying to twist what the actual point of the statement was, Check!

People being hypocrites, check! 

Now I just need to see some trolling accusations and some "i heard it on talk radio" quotes on there and I can call it a day. 
Just speak in sentence fragments and leave out vowels.

If you are speaking in-person make sure to text simultaneously so the person you are speaking with knows you are really busy and important.

Yeah, I'm totally with you - I absolutely understand the argument that it's unconstitutional.  I just don't get what the other side is.  I don't know how you argue that it's constitutional.
I haven’t given this any thought but couldn’t an argument just be that wealth is  an accumulation of past income?  The constitution doesn’t require that the collection of income taxes has to be within some specified period of time.

I haven’t given this any thought but couldn’t an argument just be that wealth is  an accumulation of past income?  The constitution doesn’t require that the collection of income taxes has to be within some specified period of time.
I would think the counter argument to that is that we already have a capital gains tax to handle that.  A wealth tax would tax the same accumulation of income every year and then again when (if) assets are sold at a gain. Would the constitution allow the same income by the same taxpayer to be taxed multiple times?

Wealth isn’t past income. It’s past income minus consumption and other expenses. There are plenty of people who’ve earned tens of millions of dollars who are now broke while there are plenty of others with far lower incomes who’ve scrimped and saved whatever they could. 

Wealth is not always income.  It is held in real estate and financial instruments that can be accumulated generations ago.  Hence the major push of elites to kill the inheritance tax.  Giving handouts to poor people will make them lazy but for rich kids it's okay.

Wealth isn’t past income. It’s past income minus consumption and other expenses. There are plenty of people who’ve earned tens of millions of dollars who are now broke while there are plenty of others with far lower incomes who’ve scrimped and saved whatever they could. 
That is one of the problems with income.  Bill Gates could earn zero and still be super rich.  While a person earning their first million might just be beginning to save for their retirement and is far from rich.  The other issue is, federal income is already the most progressive of all the taxes we have, I would even say it is super progressive.  Now consumption taxes, SS taxes, sin taxes and lotteries are highly regressive taxes, but those taxes are not addressed.  We just want to keep making federal income tax more and more progressive. 

Economies work best when total tax taken be government is kept under 40% of GNP.  A marginal tax rate above 50% is also usually counter-productive.  We have some room to increase our federal income tax rate, but making it some punitive tax rate is not the answer. We need a more balance look at how we tax people and how to cut government spending and future obligations. 

Congress is authorized to tax people based on their income. My constitutional argument is that income doesn't mean wealth. They're different.
It says collect taxes on income, it doesn’t say “based on their income.”  I don’t think it’s impossible to read that line differently.

Just as a note, I haven’t really read what Warren’s proposal is so I’m not necessarily advocating for it.  I’m just focused on the constitutionality of it.

Also, there’s always the theoretical possibility of a constitutional amendment, although I don’t know whether that’s what Warren is contemplating.

I don't really have an opinion on the direct vs. indirect stuff. But that article seems to argue that because all taxes are indirect, the income vs. non-income distinction doesn't matter -- not that the distinction matters but that wealth counts as income.

I don't really have an opinion on the direct vs. indirect stuff. But that article seems to argue that because all taxes are indirect, the income vs. non-income distinction doesn't matter -- not that the distinction matters but that wealth counts as income.
And I think we can set pretty close to in stone the fact that Pollack means that’s not going to fly.  And the Court will say “just like that time, you need to pass a Constitutional Amendment.”

They are so triggered by her.

The Daily Beast‏ @thedailybeast 2h2 hours ago

Howard Schultz blames Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez for his decision to run as Independent and it has to do with her plan to tax the rich

https://www.thedailybeast.com/howard-schultz-blames-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-for-his-decision-to-run-as-independent?via=twitter_page
They?  Howie is a Dem..I hope he does not run because it will split Dem votes. 

Plus the Cortez 70% tax rate is like Trumps wall..neither will ever happen. 

They?  Howie is a Dem..I hope he does not run because it will split Dem votes. 

Plus the Cortez 70% tax rate is like Trumps wall..neither will ever happen. 
He’s been a lifelong Dem, but his self-described Centrist positions make him a better candidate as a Republican. And he has no shot of winning as an Independent, so what’s the point?

The “moderate” voters in the U.S. has been declining for years, and even within that swing cohort, social conservatives who hold fiscally liberal views are much more common than social progressives who are fiscally conservative.

Or to put a finer point on it, aging white people who want to protect and expand entitlement programs but hold reactionary views on race and immigration significantly outnumber Schultz’s tribe of business-class flyers who believe in LGBT rights.

maybe, maybe not.  but your reason why sucked.  no offense.
No offense taken...there should be and will be a higher tax rate but for anyone to think that a 70% rate will ever pass is absurd. That is Palin type of talk.   I would not care because I will never be in that bracket anyway..but it would never get by the Senate.

What level would the highest marginal tax rate be if we passed a law that the caliber of ammunition legal for sale could be no higher in inches than 75% of the decimal expression of the highest marginal tax rate?

I think that might do it. 

No offense taken...there should be and will be a higher tax rate but for anyone to think that a 70% rate will ever pass is absurd. That is Palin type of talk.   I would not care because I will never be in that bracket anyway..but it would never get by the Senate.
This Cortez is every bit as nuts as Palin - just on opposite sides of the same crazy coin. 

Did it ever really happen anyway? It isnt like the tax code was identical and the only change was rates. Effextive tax rates didnt end up that much different than today. 

ETA: wrong word used
Not in the way most seem to believe.  It only hit a handful of people and their overall effective rates weren’t much different than they would be under today’s rules.

BobbyLayne said:
He’s been a lifelong Dem, but his self-described Centrist positions make him a better candidate as a Republican. And he has no shot of winning as an Independent, so what’s the point?

The “moderate” voters in the U.S. has been declining for years, and even within that swing cohort, social conservatives who hold fiscally liberal views are much more common than social progressives who are fiscally conservative.

Or to put a finer point on it, aging white people who want to protect and expand entitlement programs but hold reactionary views on race and immigration significantly outnumber Schultz’s tribe of business-class flyers who believe in LGBT rights.
There's more of us around than you'd think today.  We are just drowned out either by the far right in red states and the far left in blue states.  I know many more socially progressive people who are fiscally conservative than vice versa.

@Maurile Tremblay and @Henry Ford:

Are estate taxes constitutional?  If so, what distinguishes them from wealth taxes?

ETA: Nevermind, I did some googling and found the 1920s Supreme Court case that upheld the constitutionality of estate taxes.  I can figure out the arguments from there.

ETA2:  Wait, now that I’m thinking about it some more the logic that makes estate taxes constitutional would also make income taxes constitutional even in the absence of the 16th Amendment I think.  Somebody help me out here.

That Lee Zeldin dude sure seems like a giant ****. 

Lee Zeldin‏Verified account @RepLeeZeldin

FollowFollow @RepLeeZeldin

More

Was just selected as Ranking Member of the @HouseForeign Subcommittee on Oversight & Investigations! Just learned Freshman Rep. Ilhan Omar was also put on this committee w oversight of US foreign policy. Crazy to watch what House Dems are empowering/elevating.

@Maurile Tremblay and @Henry Ford:

Are estate taxes constitutional?  If so, what distinguishes them from wealth taxes?

ETA: Nevermind, I did some googling and found the 1920s Supreme Court case that upheld the constitutionality of estate taxes.  I can figure out the arguments from there.

ETA2:  Wait, now that I’m thinking about it some more the logic that makes estate taxes constitutional would also make income taxes constitutional even in the absence of the 16th Amendment I think.  Somebody help me out here.
My mostly uninformed impression of the distinction between direct and indirect taxation is that it’s based less on clear principles than on historical accident stemming from a compromise between slave and free states.

In any case, it seems clear based on historical precedent that an income tax is considered direct, hence the need for the 16th Amendment. It seems like a wealth tax would be even more direct (since there’s no transaction involved), while an estate tax could arguably go either way (since there is a transaction, but it’s based on accumulated wealth).

Users who are viewing this thread