What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fournette vs Hunt vs Cook (1 Viewer)

xenon

Footballguy
I'm finding these three avail at end of rd 1 and into 2.  Who do you prefer and why?

Who's team has the better OL?

Man crush on Cook so I’m biased but I think he finishes top 5 this year. Funny thing is, people are worried about his injury where I think he is safer to play the whole season than Fournette is. Don’t get me wrong, Fournette a close second cuz that volume is sexy. And then Hunt is part of a new offense and was feast or famine so he’s a distant third in my mind. 

ETA: I am 8 and I’m looking at Cook or Gordon at the turn. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great thread and I have been pondering this same question.   In PPR, I am leaning Hunt even though Fornette is probably the better decision.   Fornette will probably be moe steady with production and FF points week over week but I expect huge points from Hunt occasionally.  

I’m leaning Fournette by a hair over Cook  I’m really excited about Cook this year though.

I’m not taking hunt until the middle of the 2nd.  Spencer Ware and that division make me nervous with him having the lowest weekly floor. 

I’m faced with the same dilemna. I’m picking 11/12 in standard so I don’t have the luxury of picking who I want but rather who’s left of the three.

Funny thing is, people are worried about his injury where I think he is safer to play the whole season than Fournette is.
I havent heard anyone say they are concerned about Cook missing time because of his acl tear last year. most people are concerned about a dip in play. there was that study that showed a large dip in year 1 following an acl tear, but after looking at it more closely, it had its flaws in terms of its sample size. all signs point to cook being fully good to go. 

If I'm choosing between these 3 I would go Cook, Fournette, Hunt; the order I think chances of them finishing top 10 are. I'm not terribly excited about any of them for different reasons, but every player has his warts. 

I’m leaning Fournette by a hair over Cook  I’m really excited about Cook this year though.

I’m not taking hunt until the middle of the 2nd.  Spencer Ware and that division make me nervous with him having the lowest weekly floor. 
yes, if I picked based on floor and not ceiling as I did above, then I would take fournette over cook, as I think his floor is safer

Fournette >>>>>>   Cook > Hunt

I just believe Fournette is in for a monster year so he is the clear favorite.

Cook vs. Hunt is a bit closer but I like Dalvin's TD upside and playoff schedule more than Hunt's.  

I think I need more preseason time to analyze this decision. For the time being, I've been drafting Brown/Hopkins over these guys.

I originally projected Hunt the highest by a good margin, but I have some recent concerns with the offense perhaps taking a step back with Mahomes and some concern about a decline in usage with Ware back.  Hunt is way more talented. I think Ware cuts into his playing a bit, but nothing too substantial. How good will the offense be is my main question. I like his upside the most.

Fournette: I had him last year, but he was great and frustrating to own at the same time. How long-term and nagging are those leg injuries? I think Fournette catches 40 ball, but that's 15-20 less than I projected Hunt to catch.  It limits his upside.

You have to love what Cook did in his limited time last year. The ACL injury probably has an impact on him, but probably not as much as in the older days. My concern would be his playing time. Last year Murray wasn't healthy when Cook started. The new OC comes from a team that employed RBBC. Why wouldn't they use Murray a bit more, especially earlier in the season? I think everyone assumes that Cook will be a bellcow again and I see some risk there along with a somewhat slower start from his ACL recovery.

I think I need more preseason time to analyze this decision. For the time being, I've been drafting Brown/Hopkins over these guys.

I originally projected Hunt the highest by a good margin, but I have some recent concerns with the offense perhaps taking a step back with Mahomes and some concern about a decline in usage with Ware back.  Hunt is way more talented. I think Ware cuts into his playing a bit, but nothing too substantial. How good will the offense be is my main question. I like his upside the most.

Fournette: I had him last year, but he was great and frustrating to own at the same time. How long-term and nagging are those leg injuries? I think Fournette catches 40 ball, but that's 15-20 less than I projected Hunt to catch.  It limits his upside.

You have to love what Cook did in his limited time last year. The ACL injury probably has an impact on him, but probably not as much as in the older days. My concern would be his playing time. Last year Murray wasn't healthy when Cook started. The new OC comes from a team that employed RBBC. Why wouldn't they use Murray a bit more, especially earlier in the season? I think everyone assumes that Cook will be a bellcow again and I see some risk there along with a somewhat slower start from his ACL recovery.
brown/Hopkins are making it to the end of round 1? because they should both be gone by pick 8. none of the 3 in this discussion should go that early.

we are talking about picks 1.10-2.3 really. If Brown and Hopkins are there, thank your lucky stars 

brown/Hopkins are making it to the end of round 1? because they should both be gone by pick 8. none of the 3 in this discussion should go that early.

we are talking about picks 1.10-2.3 really. If Brown and Hopkins are there, thank your lucky stars 
I meant mostly Hopkins as I've taken him several times in the 9-11 range. I've done 20 drafts so far.  Brown once at 9 when it was all RBs first.  And yes, I thanked my lucky stars.

That said, earlier in the season, Hunt and Fournette were going in the middle of the first round. They seemed to have dropped 2-4 spots. Cook has moved up as he has seemed healthier. Barkley has moved up because of the hype. As an aside, David Johnson keeps moving up over the past week or so. He went from 4th to first in many drafts.

I know he's going a bit behind them but I wish we could include CMC for the 2017 nostalgia value. I like how no one was truly wrong last year. 

This is a great year for feature backs - don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

None have top 15 offensive lines, though.

Personally, like Gordon's PPR upside and the fact that Henry is gone ... maybe more TD looks.

Cook is going to get a ton of points. Two great WRs and a competent QB means no loading boxes - and that defense is going to allow them to run A LOT.  

Fournette is also going to benefit from game script and has no competition for touches. 

I take any two of these guys at the turn and feel great about it - then load up on WRs the next four rounds.

This is a great year for feature backs - don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

None have top 15 offensive lines, though.

Personally, like Gordon's PPR upside and the fact that Henry is gone ... maybe more TD looks.

Cook is going to get a ton of points. Two great WRs and a competent QB means no loading boxes - and that defense is going to allow them to run A LOT.  

Fournette is also going to benefit from game script and has no competition for touches. 

I take any two of these guys at the turn and feel great about it - then load up on WRs the next four rounds.
This is a pretty sound analysis. It isn't always simply about the player; you have to look at the whole situation.

Fournette is the best talent of this group. All three look to be volume dominant. 

As I see Fournette carrying the lowest overall risk (not returning from ACL or dealing with a QB change), I’d take him before Cook and Hunt. 

Sure...Gordon can be added to the mix as he is avail and in the mix with those guys.

I have serious concerns about Minnesota OL. Injuries mounting.
I wouldn't worry about Vikings OL and its possible negative impact on Cook's potential FF production this year.  Hell, he ran behind one of the worst OLs during his time at Florida yet he still produced.  He has an exceptional vision and balance, augmenting his physical talent (despite his lousy / terrible combine metrics).    

I forgot to add this as tidbit on Cooks.  Kirk Cousins loves to utilize play-action and newly hired OC John DeFilippo will cater around Cousins' strengths and Vikings' offensive playmakers.  With play-action, Cook will be much more effective in both rushing and receiving.  

I was gonna say something about Gordon too - Gordon and Cook are the two guys I’m targeting beginning of 2nd if still there. Have Kamara as a keeper so would love to pair the consistency of Gordon with him. 

This is if Hopkins or OBJ are there at 8. If both gone I may go Gordon/Fournette in the 1st. Honestly don’t see a bad outcome from the first 2 rounds. According to CBS, Fournette has the best schedule. 

I like all three but I'm debating on trading down from 1.1 with Hunt in PPR keeper. 

I am not wild about Fournette as a 1st round pick this year. 

I like Hunt by a hair over Cook, but I doubt I will end up with either (any draft I do where I pick late 1st round, I'll like take a WR there, and in my auctions, if I spend a lot on a top RB, it won't be for either of them, most likely). 

Fournette is the best talent of this group. All three look to be volume dominant. 

As I see Fournette carrying the lowest overall risk (not returning from ACL or dealing with a QB change), I’d take him before Cook and Hunt. 
We need to be fair here. If Fournette was dealing with  a new qb that would be an advantage as well. 

What am I missing here?  Fournette got fed the ball over 20 rushes a game and couldn’t break the 4.0 ypc barrier.  Plus he has a history of ankle issues that put some risk in the equation.

Cook is coming back from a tweaked knee and has Murray (and possible Thomas on passing downs now) to share with.

Yet the reigning NFL’s leading rusher who is also a very good receiver is left out of the equation as the weak sister in this group?  Why?  Because JAG Ware is back?  Because Mahomes is under center (and thus he may see more rushes and dump passes)?

I don’t get you guys at all.

What am I missing here?  Fournette got fed the ball over 20 rushes a game and couldn’t break the 4.0 ypc barrier.  Plus he has a history of ankle issues that put some risk in the equation.

Cook is coming back from a tweaked knee and has Murray (and possible Thomas on passing downs now) to share with.

Yet the reigning NFL’s leading rusher who is also a very good receiver is left out of the equation as the weak sister in this group?  Why?  Because JAG Ware is back?  Because Mahomes is under center (and thus he may see more rushes and dump passes)?

:bye:

Hello.   Im with you.   Cook is going to lose some touches to Murray. He isn't as talented as Cook but he is big, fast, and healthy this season.  He was recovering from an ankle last season and pressed into duty when Cook went down.   

I could not agree more, regarding Fournette.  

You make some good points. Where I have a difference of opinion is with the importance of a QB change. Smith, for all his limitations, was very well known. The offense in KC was well defined and we knew that the lead back in KC would do well. Ware is a JAG but he preformed well, in part because the other variables, were well defined.

The move to Mahomes has the potential to change the entire texture of the offense. It could flourish, it could recede. For that reason, I give Fournette the advantage. The fewest variables in his equation has changed, thus I would take him first. 

I have serious concerns about Minnesota OL. Injuries mounting.
As a Vikings fan I was too and still do have some concerns that no pre season game could alleviate.

However they blocked a lot better than I expected them to. Murray had some big runs on the Vikings first drive. As I got a bit more time to watch replays and just get familiar with offensive linemen I have never seen play before, I am not as worried about them as I was prior to the game last night.

Nick Easton who started at left guard and was/is the back up center was also pretty hit or miss in the games he played for the Vikings last year. There were some plays where Eastons speed to the outside was better than what Alex Boone (previous starter at LG) could have dione, but his anchor and power especially in pass protection were still a problem. I considered Easton the weakest link of the starters from last season, he is just extra valuable because he can start at center as well as guard. Him being out hurts the offensive lines depth versatility, but Easton is a player like Hill and Remmers who I wish were back ups instead of starters.

Vikings fan base all chicken little about the situation and I can understand why, as fans of the team saw how terrible the offensive line can be as recently as 2016. The moves made by the front office not splashy enough for any improvement or contingency plans to be obvious. The 1st round pick of Hughes has fans wishing the Vikings had drafted an offensive lineman there instead.

That said some of the players the Vikings have competing on the offensive line are players they acquired last season and they have been able to work with those players for a year now. Cornelius Edison is a player who looked fine as the starting center in last nights game. It is all I have seen so far, but it wasn't a train wreck. Isidora and Collins did play a little last season and Collins played one game at LG last year which graded out pretty well by PFF, a bit better than Isidora graded in his two games. So while they are new players that no one has seen play much yet, they may be capable and they are players the Vikings have been working with for over a year now. They kept them for a reason.

While free agency were low profile moves (adding to panic of fans) they were important ones. Josh Andrews has started for the Eagles in 2015 and 2016. He was picked up not long after the Vikings hired DeFlippo. He looked solid at center after Edison went out of the game. Tom Compton may only be an average guard but with Eastons injury an important player to have who has also started in the NFL.

The Vikings do have some experienced depth that the level of play of a few injuries may not hurt their overall blocking as much as it did in 2016. Compton and Isidora certainly won't be able to replace how good Berger had been playing for the Vikings, but maybe there isn't much drop off from Easton to them.

What dont you like about hunt @JPeso
I’m not on board with Hunt being a top talent. I like Cook and Fournette more as prospects in dynasty, as I do see Hunt regressing while the other two have strong years and more wow factor when I’m watching on Sundays (and Mondays, Thursdays). 

Still, I have no doubt Hunt finishes top 12 this year in PPR, and likely no lower than 10, but the other two cats finish higher.

You asked about Gordon in your previous comment, I think it’s Cook over Fournette by less than 10 points and Fournette over Gordon by less than 10 points, and Gordon over Hunt by less than 5 points. PPR for me these four guys are all between #5-10 RB. 

It is a solid year to draft at the turn in 12 team leagues. Here is PPR ADP from FantasyPros:

1. RB Gurley
  2. RB Bell
  3. RB Elliott
  4. RB Johnson
  5. WR Brown
  6. RB Kamara
  7. RB Barkley
  8. WR Hopkins
  9. RB Hunt
  10. WR Beckham
  11. RB Gordon
  12. RB Fournette
  13. WR Jones
  14. RB Cook
I'd be pretty happy pairing any 2 of Gordon, Fournette, and Cook. (I would take Cook before Jones.) Actually, I would be happy pairing any 2 of the top 14 here. So drafting at 11 or 12 in 12 team PPR leagues seems like a solid spot to be this year. Even after that, the next few guys would include McCaffrey, Freeman, and Allen... so pairing any of the top 17 or so is pretty strong.

Ultimately the difference between Fournette, Cook, and Hunt will likely have more to do with health, both of those players and their key teammates (QB, OL), than anything else, and that is not possible to predict.

I was gonna say something about Gordon too - Gordon and Cook are the two guys I’m targeting beginning of 2nd if still there. Have Kamara as a keeper so would love to pair the consistency of Gordon with him. 

This is if Hopkins or OBJ are there at 8. If both gone I may go Gordon/Fournette in the 1st. Honestly don’t see a bad outcome from the first 2 rounds. According to CBS, Fournette has the best schedule. 
I too am blessed with Kamara as a keeper and pick 7th.  I'm targeting OBJ then CMC fwiw (which is nada)

It is a solid year to draft at the turn in 12 team leagues. Here is PPR ADP from FantasyPros:

1. RB Gurley
  2. RB Bell
  3. RB Elliott
  4. RB Johnson
  5. WR Brown
  6. RB Kamara
  7. RB Barkley
  8. WR Hopkins
  9. RB Hunt
  10. WR Beckham
  11. RB Gordon
  12. RB Fournette
  13. WR Jones
  14. RB Cook
I'd be pretty happy pairing any 2 of Gordon, Fournette, and Cook. (I would take Cook before Jones.) Actually, I would be happy pairing any 2 of the top 14 here. So drafting at 11 or 12 in 12 team PPR leagues seems like a solid spot to be this year. Even after that, the next few guys would include McCaffrey, Freeman, and Allen... so pairing any of the top 17 or so is pretty strong.

Ultimately the difference between Fournette, Cook, and Hunt will likely have more to do with health, both of those players and their key teammates (QB, OL), than anything else, and that is not possible to predict.
Agreed, there are 14 first round talents this year and getting two is a great way to start your draft. Can either go RB/RB or RB/WR. I’d rather be at 11 so you can get your preference before the next team picks twice. Should also be insane value at WR at the 3/4 turn landing you two very good WR. 

Agreed, there are 14 first round talents this year and getting two is a great way to start your draft. Can either go RB/RB or RB/WR. I’d rather be at 11 so you can get your preference before the next team picks twice. Should also be insane value at WR at the 3/4 turn landing you two very good WR. 
Good point. I don't think Dalvin is quite in that 1st round just based on him only having played 3.5 games. He looked good but he also was getting a ton of work. I expect Murray to be used signficantly and especially around the GL. Especially with Cook cominh back from injury, the Vikings might want to take it slow. ACL recoveries are really good but Cook did that terrinle combine where he tested as a poor athlete. Maybe he has less room for error with the recovery of his knee?

Best talent

1. Fournette

2. Hunt

3. Cook

Best OL

1. Fournette

2. Hunt

3. Cook

Most usage on 3rd down

1. Hunt

2. Cook

3. Fournette