What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keeper League with 2 IDP players - instead of team D (1 Viewer)

Bossman

Footballguy
I'm in a long standing local keeper league. After 10+ years it's becoming a bit stagnant compared to my IDP leagues.

I'd like to propose to the league that we use 2 IDP players in our lineups instead of the standard "Team D / ST".

My reasoning is that it would add another aspect to drafting and trading that doesn't exist with team D.

A full IDP league wouldn't work as our live "off-line" draft already takes way too long.

Other owners are interested in the concept but I'm wondering if anyone has ever done a "2 IDP" league ...

and who can host it? ... since we now use Yahoo  :X  and I don't think they can accommodate IDP.

MFL would probably work but we'd be looking for something less costly (preferably free). Any ideas?

Yahoo has lots of IDP settings. I’m in a local keeper that uses Yahoo. We have it as 1 DL, 1 LB, 1 DB. I know you can also go general IDP as well. I think you can go as granular as individual positions as well.

As a general note, when trying to persuade a league into going IDP, I’d such saying that you’ll keep their scoring a bit low to start then adjust based on what everyone thinks for next years draft. Also, in another league replaced our D/ST with 2 open IDP spots to start in one league which helps people from thinking that there isn’t enough “studs” or options.

We do that on MFL.

It works fine but the IDP players tend to be an afterthought really with most people drafting a couple of linebackers (with the occasional safety) and kinda forgetting about the position.  Might depend on your scoring thought but I don't think it makes the leagues much more interesting.

As a general note, when trying to persuade a league into going IDP, I’d such saying that you’ll keep their scoring a bit low to start then adjust based on what everyone thinks for next years draft. Also, in another league replaced our D/ST with 2 open IDP spots to start in one league which helps people from thinking that there isn’t enough “studs” or options.
exactly what I had in mind. Thx.

We do that on MFL.

It works fine but the IDP players tend to be an afterthought really with most people drafting a couple of linebackers (with the occasional safety) and kinda forgetting about the position.  Might depend on your scoring thought but I don't think it makes the leagues much more interesting.
This is a little disheartening. 

Do the top LB's in your league score as much as a top 10 RB / WR?

I would think that if the IDP scoring was in line with offense, it would have to create interest in the position.

We use Yahoo for a 14 team PPR league that plays with 4 IDP slots.  

1 DL (can be DE or DL)

1 DB (can be CB or S)

1 LB

1 D (essentially a flex, can be any of the above 3).  Most teams end up using a second LB here because tackles are the easiest way to rack up points. 

One thing you may also want to consider, not necessarily in the first year, is whether or not to play with return yardage as a stat.  Several defensive players out there that return kicks/punts, adds another element to it if you're not using it already. 

Last edited by a moderator:

I would think that if the IDP scoring was in line with offense, it would have to create interest in the position.
It’s all relative. Standard scoring will have players scoring similar to kickers. The elite guys provide consistency moreso than high volume.

My league does 2 DL, 2 LB, and 2 DB. Scoring generally has the top elite tier scoring around RB28 and WR/TE 43 level in my league. Part of the issue is the variance with IDP year to year e.g. who is a stud vs. who isn't and the scoring system in general.

Also weigh whether tackles matter or "big plays" (Sacks, INT, Fumbles). In my scoring system, it skews heavy towards tacklers so the highest rated DL finished 16th overall (Cameron Jordan with 13 Sacks). Calais Campbell was 2nd at 19th with his 14.5 Sacks.

With that all said, IDP are generally treated as afterthoughts on my offline draft as well, which is a shame. I've tried to push scoring for bigger plays but it's met mostly with resistance as league mates don't really want the IDP scoring to match the elite offensive players and their scoring.

At 1 pt per solo tackle, 0.5 pt per assisted tackle,  I think 2 per interception/fumble, 1 pt for batted pass/pass breakup, 1-2 pts for sacks, the typical high scorers are around 10-12 pts per week.  Every once in a while if your guy has a multiple tackle + pick 6 type game they'll score 20 pts. 

In our league, typically we see IDP players start going off the board in the 9th round (after most people have their starting WR/RB/QB/TE/Flex), with maybe half the owners grabbing at least 2 of their 4 IDPs in the 9th/10th, then the rest mixing in their remaining IDPs along with their bench players through the end of the draft.  

Just have the commish adjust the scoring a bit to get into the range you're looking for.  

Last edited by a moderator:

I think why it generates not much interest is not that they don't score enough it's with only two IDP starters across all defensive positions (obviously leaning towards LBs because of tackles) in this 12 team league, there is only a a 4pt per week difference between the very best IDP starter (#1) and the very worst starter IDP (#24) starter because you need so few out of all defensive players.  

Just doesn't demand a lot of attention as there is almost always someone decent on the wire.

2 is kinda silly if you ask me. We do 6 starters (1 DL, 3 LB, 2 DB) and I love it. First LB’s start going off the board sometimes as soon as round 7. Draft is 34 rounds total. We use CBS. 

At minimum I would do DL/LB/DB that way you’re not just drafting 2 random LB’s. Or change the scoring so all defensive positions put up similar points that would be fun but would prob take some tweaking. 

With that few IDP positions it basically makes those positions useless.  You can just waiver wire all year long and it won't hurt you.  You might think it would be a way to introduce the IDP world to the league so they will be more ready to accept it but it ends up backfiring....or at least in the leagues I have been in with that few IDP starters.  They become like kickers and nobody cares so it doesn't build the excitement.

If you want to have people excited then you must make them worth something.  Adjust scoring to put them in the top 10 for the league so there are difference makers.  Have equal starters for offense and defense so they mean something.  It seems daunting at first but it will be worth it if they buy in and if they buy in they won't ever want to go back the other way.

I'd be all for the multiple IDP at each position ... but like I stated, we have a live "offline" draft that already takes about 4 hours .. with just offense and a team D.

We wouldn't change that for anything since it's the one time of year that we all get together and talk smack, drink beer and be silly.

Definitely would need to enhance the IDP scoring.

I'm thinking sacks worth 3 points, tackle for loss 1 pt, and points for yards lost 0.1 pt per yard  ... so an 8 yard sack would be worth 4.8 points. Almost as much as a TD on offense.

Makes some of the top DE's and OLB's as valuable as high tackle MLB's.  

Maybe tweak by position as well ... LB 1 point per tackle while DL / DB at 1.5 point per tackle. 4 tackles by a S would be worth as much as 6 tackles by a LB

(Now I'm thinking this might have been a better topic for the IDP forum)

I do appreciate all the input so far.

You could do the offense offline, then do the IDP players snake style

I'd be all for the multiple IDP at each position ... but like I stated, we have a live "offline" draft that already takes about 4 hours .. with just offense and a team D.

We wouldn't change that for anything since it's the one time of year that we all get together and talk smack, drink beer and be silly.

Definitely would need to enhance the IDP scoring.

I'm thinking sacks worth 3 points, tackle for loss 1 pt, and points for yards lost 0.1 pt per yard  ... so an 8 yard sack would be worth 4.8 points. Almost as much as a TD on offense.

Makes some of the top DE's and OLB's as valuable as high tackle MLB's.  

Maybe tweak by position as well ... LB 1 point per tackle while DL / DB at 1.5 point per tackle. 4 tackles by a S would be worth as much as 6 tackles by a LB

(Now I'm thinking this might have been a better topic for the IDP forum)

I do appreciate all the input so far.

Users who are viewing this thread