Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Mollie Tibbetts Murder — Political Version

29 minutes ago, JuniorGong said:

The SSA estimated that 1.8M immigrants were working with fake or stolen Social Security cards back in 2010. They estimated that the number will grow to 3.4M by 2040.

It amazes me that this is possible in our current digital age.  My CC company can freeze my card and call me if I make a couple purchases on the other side of the country they aren't expecting, but we can't figure out the same thing with SSN's.  Something is just broken in the system where stuff like this is so easily missed in the current day.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please stop...a young girl is dead. I have 2 daughters in their early 20s..I don`t give a #### who controls both houses.

Just a sad story. 

It's gross when both "sides" do it.  It's gross when the left turns every school mass shooting into a gun debate, and it's gross that the right is making this all about illegal immigration. 

10 minutes ago, The Tick said:

It amazes me that this is possible in our current digital age.  My CC company can freeze my card and call me if I make a couple purchases on the other side of the country they aren't expecting, but we can't figure out the same thing with SSN's.  Something is just broken in the system where stuff like this is so easily missed in the current day.

I recommend everyone reading this go to the ssa.gov site and create your account. You can see all activity against your SSN and will know immediately if someone uses your number.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

So these are people who will have taxes taken out of their paycheck but probably won't file for a tax return which means more money for the government?

Many end up using an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) which allows immigrants without SS#’s to legally file tax returns and claim the income reported on their W2 to the IRS.

41 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

We have the right to bare arms....not sure what right people illegalls have.....

They have due process rights under the Constitution, as does anyone who falls under the jurisdiction of the United States.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Jobber said:

I recommend everyone reading this go to the ssa.gov site and create your account. You can see all activity against your SSN and will know immediately if someone uses your number.

Have account.  I can see earnings record, but nothing else.  What should I be looking at?

16 hours ago, knowledge dropper said:

Yep.  Congress blocked the Wall.  Not anymore.  

It is deceptive to say that if the Wall had been built this wouldn't have happened. Illegal aliens get in by tunneling, flying, by boats, over stay their visits and visas, and hide in trucks crossing check points at the border, can come in through the northern border and areas where there would be no wall built. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JuniorGong said:

The SSA estimated that 1.8M immigrants were working with fake or stolen Social Security cards back in 2010. They estimated that the number will grow to 3.4M by 2040.

I understand how stolen info could get a pass.  It seems like we should be able to catch the fake though.  But I still don't understand how this all works.

9 minutes ago, lazyike said:

It is deceptive to say that if the Wall had been built this wouldn't have happened. Illegal aliens get in by tunneling, flying, by boats, over stay their visits and visas, and hide in trucks crossing check points at the border, can come in through the northern border and areas where there would be no wall built. 

Wall is just a political tool Trump is using.  If you really want to control illegal immigration through our southern borders just assign a couple of Army Infantry Divisions to patrol the border.  It would be cheaper and they could use it for training exercises.  

• Like 1

rustycolts said:

Wall is just a political tool Trump is using. If you really want to control illegal immigration through our southern borders just assign a couple of Army Infantry Divisions to patrol the border. It would be cheaper and they could use it for training exercises.

It's not that simple. The military is forbidden from acting as law enforcement within the U.S. by the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878.

Congress can overturn the act but it would set a dangerous precedent IMO. Military and law enforcement should always be separate.

Edited by Joe Summer
fixed link
  • Like 3
23 minutes ago, lazyike said:

This wall would be the BEST wall.  It would make the ones in China and Westeros look like a speed bump.  

6 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

It's not that simple. The military is forbidden from acting as law enforcement within the U.S. by the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878.

Congress can overturn the act but it would set a dangerous precedent IMO. Military and law enforcement should always be separate.

I knew there probably was a reason we couldn't.  Had not heard of that act.  Thanks for the info.  I figured the objection would be deploying our troops in our own country or something similar.  We have been doing training exercises for many years in countries like Germany and South Korea.  I figured it could be a deterrent and maybe stop the flow of illegals entering the country.  It absolutely could be a dangerous precedent but possibly we could use them with strict parameters.  Just a thought.  Personally I think a wall is a stupid idea it would be expensive and probably not effective.  I am conservative and believe something needs to be done about illegal immigration but maybe it should start with policy change and immigration reform.

6 hours ago, KCitons said:

Read the entire gun thread and get back to me. Just because you can't think of anyone, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

killface said Republican politicians have blood on their hands in reference to them accepting NRA money and pushing the NRA's agenda. 

Stealthycat said in an incoherent post that gun control advocates have blood on their hands by trying to gradually remove guns from society. (at least this is how I translated it)

Nobody explicitly said that all gun owners have blood on their hands

Horrible story but -

Accused Killer's Lawyer says Accused Killer is in Country Legally

A court document filed Wednesday morning states that the man accused of killing Mollie Tibbetts was working legally in Iowa.

Cristhian Bahena Rivera was charged Tuesday in the July 18 disappearance of Tibbetts, a University of Iowa student whose abduction has captured national headlines.

Rivera has lived in Iowa for four to seven years, working at Yarrabee Farms, a Brooklyn-area farm owned by Eric Lang, the brother of Craig Lang, a prominent Republican.

Craig Lang has verified that Rivera is in Iowa legally, according to Richards’ motion.

"Craig Lang supports Cristhian’s right to be in this jurisdiction and for the government to support any other idea of status publicly flies in the face of such statement," Richard wrote.

More from cousin sam

·

3h

TO BE PERFECTLY CLEAR: i’m not a member of Mollie’s immediate family. i am a 2nd cousin but it’s hard to write all that in a tweet. we have a family facebook page where we’ve all been in contact and grieving together. i was only saying we should be able to grieve without politics

and if this wasn’t already obvious, i don’t speak for the entire family! no one could. i have my political opinions but that’s not why i said any of this — i only said this because i want all family members to be able to grieve in peace. that’s literally all i meant

32 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Horrible story but -

Accused Killer's Lawyer says Accused Killer is in Country Legally

A court document filed Wednesday morning states that the man accused of killing Mollie Tibbetts was working legally in Iowa.

Cristhian Bahena Rivera was charged Tuesday in the July 18 disappearance of Tibbetts, a University of Iowa student whose abduction has captured national headlines.

Rivera has lived in Iowa for four to seven years, working at Yarrabee Farms, a Brooklyn-area farm owned by Eric Lang, the brother of Craig Lang, a prominent Republican.

Craig Lang has verified that Rivera is in Iowa legally, according to Richards’ motion.

"Craig Lang supports Cristhian’s right to be in this jurisdiction and for the government to support any other idea of status publicly flies in the face of such statement," Richard wrote.

This would be quite the twist.  

12 minutes ago, timschochet said:

If its true, I'd be amused, except for the horrible nature of the crime. It's a terrible event no matter what. 

Whether he is legal or not, it appears that he trailed a woman and then killed her when she told him to #### off. Maybe we should spend less time worrying about his legal status and more time asking why our culture seems to encourage men to harass women.

Edited by TobiasFunke
  • Like 4
38 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Whether he is legal or not, it appears that he trailed a woman and then killed her when she told him to #### off. Maybe we should spend less time worrying about his legal status and more time asking why our culture seems to encourage men to harass women.

I don’t think our culture had anything to do with it, I think his culture played a role here

Edited by Uncle CornCob
2 minutes ago, Uncle CornCob said:

I don’t think our culture had anything to do with it, I think his culture played a role here

Wow.

Edited by Jobber
58 minutes ago, Uncle CornCob said:

His culture? If there was any doubt that the frequent bad hombres references to Hispanics were not racist, then this should confirm it.

Edited by squistion
9 hours ago, squistion said:

Provide an example via quote of someone saying that, or stop making ridiculous claims. I am not going spend two seconds looking for something that probably doesn't exist.

This is a pathetic answer. Not willing to spend two seconds because you know you're wrong. 

You spend more time than that searching Twitter for things to post here. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Dickies said:

killface said Republican politicians have blood on their hands in reference to them accepting NRA money and pushing the NRA's agenda. 

Stealthycat said in an incoherent post that gun control advocates have blood on their hands by trying to gradually remove guns from society. (at least this is how I translated it)

Nobody explicitly said that all gun owners have blood on their hands

I think you're wrong. 

Dedfin made this statement "Blood is on Scat and his ilk's hands. There are no more excuses. Debate club on the innernet I'm sure is fun for some, but children are dying for no good reason."

There are other statements in that forum that have the same directive. A reasonable man would make the correlation that they are meant for the gun owners of this country. 

8 hours ago, sho nuff said:

Im sure it was said...doubtful just right after one shooting and not because of a history of shootings and many people doing absolutely nothing about it.

Equating the two is pretty bad...but expected.  Have to have the well, you all said this, so now its cool if "my team" says this on this incident.

Even when the situations aren't really comparable.

Must have learned how to use the search function. 

Please show me where I said it was cool if "my team" said this? I will need quoted text please. Not just a link. 

1 hour ago, TobiasFunke said:

Does our culture do that? By "our culture", I assume you just mean the United States. And I'd guess the US is one of the better places for women to live. A US News and World Report ranking put the US at the 16th best country for women. Given the size of our country and how large our population is, that's kind of impressive. I mean, we're actually a mix of many different cultures and you can find just about any situation you're looking for somewhere in this country. I'm sure certain parts of our country are better than others for women. If our country was broken down into smaller segments for the ranking, I'm guessing several segments would rank much higher (and some obviously lower).

When compared to other cultures and our own country's previous cultures, we're probably doing a pretty good job. So, I'm not totally convinced that our culture encourages men to harass women. Or, if we do encourage it on some level, I'm not sure how much it is to blame for crimes against women. Can we be better? Absolutely. And we should work towards that and have the discussions you suggest. Even if it is less of a problem than you suggest, it's still worth discussing and improving.

• Like 1