What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Rondale Moore, ARZ (1 Viewer)

Rondale is more like mini DJ Moore or Golden Tate than Ruggs. Moore’s defining characteristic isn’t being fast, its his YAC. He’s built like a RB more than a WR. 
This is the impression I got from watching him as well. A RB type player who plays WR.

2021 NFL draft: If healthy, Rondale Moore is a Steve Smith clone

Excerpt:

53. Purdue WR Rondale Moore

5-foot-9, 180 pounds

Yahoo Sports draft grade: 5.86 — potential starter

TL;DR scouting report: Mighty-mite slot receiver with explosive ability to produce instant offense, but health concerns and lack of experience are worrisome

Games watched: Ohio State (2018), Vanderbilt (2019), Minnesota (2020), Rutgers (2020),

The skinny: A 3-star Rivals recruit, Moore had committed to Texas but flipped to Purdue. He turned in one of the best freshman seasons in recent memory in 2018, with 114 catches (most in FBS) for 1,258 yards and 12 TDs; ran the ball 21 times for 213 yards and two scores; and returned 12 punts for 62 yards and 33 kickoffs for 662 yards. That season, Moore was named consensus first-team All-America (all-purpose player), first-team all-Big Ten, Big Ten Wide Receiver of the Year, Big Ten Freshman of the Year and won the Paul Hornung Award winner (given to the nation's most versatile player). He scorched No. 1 Ohio State for 12 catches for 170 yards and two rushes for 24 yards in a stunning upset of the Buckeyes.

In the first four games of 2019, Moore caught 29 passes for 387 yards and two TDs; ran back nine kickoffs for 151 yards and five punts for 36 yards; and ran three times for 3 yards before missing the remainder of the season with a hamstring injury. He initially opted out of the 2020 season because of COVID-19 but opted back in when the Big Ten later resumed play. Moore missed three games with what was reported to be a lower-body injury but caught 35 passes for 270 yards and ran six times for 35 yards and a TD in the three games he played. He declared early for the 2021 draft.

Upside: Athletically blessed. Once ran a 40-yard dash in the mid-4.3s, topped 40 inches in the vertical jump and 11 feet in the broad jump and bettered 20 reps on the 225-pound bench press. Squatted 600 pounds as an 180-pound freshman at Purdue. Could put on an absolute show at his pro day March 23.

Thick, RB-like build with small tree trunks for legs. Physicality belies his lack of size. Bulldog style and mentality — not at all a finesse player. Doesn’t tiptoe out of bounds; tries to max out yards and isn’t afraid of taking contact. Carries great strength and explosion for a sub-200 pound player to break tackles. Strong off the line to get away from press coverage.

Looks like he’s shot out of a cannon off the line. Outstanding quickness to get into and out of his routes. Disguises his intentions well and doesn’t let DBs get a bead on what he’s running. Reaches top speed with urgency. Has shown he can win one-on-one matchups vertically. Slot weapon who can corkscrew defenders into the ground.

Terrific yards-after-catch ability — electric weapon. Moves like a speed back with the ball in his hands — can juke a defender or bust through a tackle attempt. Great third-down target for those gotta-have-it conversions. Outstanding hands to haul in tough catches — cut down on his dropped-pass rate each season. Hauled in three out of every four passes thrown his way.

Do-it-all performer — effective as receiver, runner and returner. Has lined up as a “Wildcat” QB and even caught passes from out of the backfield. Volume target — caught 11 or more passes in half his college games and six or more receptions in all but four of 20 college outings. Had five games with 17 or more touches. Takes a beating and keeps ticking.

Highly respected personal and football character. Outstanding work ethic and highly motivated — has been known to text or call his quarterbacks late at night to ask them X’s and O’s questions. Practices and plays with high intensity. Mentally and physically tough.

Terrific student — earned a 3.71 as a freshman at a tough academic school. Shows up to meetings 20 minutes early and stays late to do extra work. Still very young — won’t turn 21 until June.

Downside: Limited college tape — only seven games and 350 snaps since his breakout freshman season. Multiple injuries will cloud his medical evaluation — at least three known injuries (including hand surgery in the 2019 offseason) that must be fully diagnosed. Durability could be a week-to-week concern. There was mystery surrounding his 2020 injury that kept him out to start the Boilermakers’ season.

Lack of length could limit his vertical responsibilities. Even with his leaping ability, high-pointing the ball against long-levered corners could be a limiting factor. Limited track record of success in contested-catch situations.

Wasn’t asked to go deep much in college — only 24 targets of 20 air yards or longer. Vast majority of his receptions came near the line of scrimmage or behind it, mostly on screens. Limited route tree and limited outside WR experience. Might be a full-time slot for most teams. Will gear down at the catch point at times, stunting his momentum.

Lack of size will always be a bugaboo. Can’t extend too far beyond his frame. Suffered through some concentration drops early in his career. Didn’t hit any home runs on punt or kick returns and wasn’t asked to handle that duty in 2020.

Best-suited destination: There are flashes of ability in Moore’s game tape that suggest he could (and should) receive a more diverse set of assignments. That should come in time as he learns the tricks of the trade at the next level. Early in his career, Moore profiles as a slot receiver, primary punt returner and occasional trick-play weapon for a team that has its outside weapons settled. When healthy, he’s a difference maker.

Did you know: Moore flipped from Texas to Purdue partly because he, head coach Jeff Brohm and co-offensive coordinator/QB coach Brian Brohm all played at the same high school (Louisville’s Trinity High).

Moore didn’t go to high school with Boston Celtics forward Romeo Langford, but the two are good friends who often battle it out in "Fortnite."

Player comp: We’ve made a rule of never comparing prospects to Steve Smith, but Moore is about as close as it gets. From the build to the athleticism to the competitive fire, along with the size and injury concerns coming out, there’s a lot of crossover.

Expected draft range: Round 2

Seems too small to me. Gotta be a 4th rounder earliest. He's shifty and that's great.

But he's smaller than Calvin Ridley who's always got a boo boo.

Speedy Wide Receiver Impresses at Pro Day, Could Become Potential Bengals Draft Target

CINCINNATI — The Bengals are in the market for at least one, if not two wide receivers. One of the most intriguing draft prospects had an impressive showing on Tuesday.

Rondale Moore ran an unofficial 4.29 40-yard dash at Purdue's Pro Day. The speedy deep threat bolted up the field in front of dozens of scouts and NFL team personnel. 

He also posted a 42.5-inch vertical jump, which would've been the second-best behind Donovan Peoples-Jones (44.0) at the 2020 NFL Combine. 

Moore is an intriguing prospect. He's built like a tank and can run like a deer. He's only 5-foot-7, which is concerning, but he checks all of the other boxes from a physical standpoint. 

Some teams may view him as a complimentary weapon out of the backfield and in the slot, rather than an every down wide receiver. 

The Bengals will take a long, hard look at Moore just in case they don't address wide receiver in the first round. He's expected to go anywhere from 25th-45th in next months NFL Draft, but his height could scare some teams. 

Strength won't be an issue for Moore. He squatted 600 pounds during his college days.

42.5 vertical takes a lot of the questions about height and sets them aside.  He's got springs for legs or arms like an albatross.

He just jumped 1.5" less than a guy who is 6'2".  This may truly be the case of 5'7" who plays like 6'0".
That's just not how it works though.

Oh no 5'7" move him down your lists and get the pitch forks out.

I hope you detect my sarcasm. I'm looking forward to the slide in rookie drafts for him so I can gobble it all up. 
This is a big deal in terms of his prospect profile.  He's a massive outlier at 5'7".  He will literally be the only WR ever to be fantasy relevant at that height.

I'll still be taking some shots, but I'll be knowing I'm betting on an outlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's just not how it works though.

This is a big deal in terms of his prospect profile.  He's a massive outlier at 5'7".  He will literally be the only WR ever to be fantasy relevant at that height.

I'll still be taking some shots, but I'll be knowing I'm betting on an outlier.
Agreed that he's an outlier, if he hits, but at least he has versatility to his game. He's basically a discount version of Jaylen Waddle. They're both very versatile players, one excels more with speed (Waddle), the other from strength and tackle breaking (Moore). Both seem destined to succeed because of their versatility. They aren't one trait guys like Ross or Ruggs. As long as their systems allow for good development and usage, I'm not shying away at all. 

Agreed that he's an outlier, if he hits, but at least he has versatility to his game. He's basically a discount version of Jaylen Waddle. They're both very versatile players, one excels more with speed (Waddle), the other from strength and tackle breaking (Moore). Both seem destined to succeed because of their versatility. They aren't one trait guys like Ross or Ruggs. As long as their systems allow for good development and usage, I'm not shying away at all. 
Rondale has a better profile that Waddle IMO, even though he's small.

Both much better than Ruggs.  Rondale is an athletic and skill outlier too so it's probably not a horrible bet.  I'll be making some still as I said, but it did knock his profile down a bit for me.

Rondale has a better profile that Waddle IMO, even though he's small.

Both much better than Ruggs.  Rondale is an athletic and skill outlier too so it's probably not a horrible bet.  I'll be making some still as I said, but it did knock his profile down a bit for me.
He does, mostly because of breakout age and production. Some of which Waddle couldn't control. I believe Waddle to be more dynamic, but Rondale isn't far behind. 

Of course I'd prefer if Rondale got up to 5'9" but this honestly doesn't really worry me. His profile all around (other than his height), is pretty outstanding. Someone is going to just look at his height and say "pass" and I'll happily take that discount. 

Measuring in at 5-7 does raise some concern, but Moore's workout numbers were outstanding.  Today's numbers ultimately helped Rondale Moore.  My biggest concern with Moore is not his height, but his durability.  He has had difficulty staying on the field.

I really want him to be a thing, but......

He's 5'7".  Since 2000, you have Cole Beasley.  

Slot only guy. 80% of catches from slot.  

7 games in two years.

Multiple lower body injuries.  

I think it's most likely he winds up as a valued 3rd/4th WR for NFL teams, who runs back kicks, plays about 50% of the snaps on a good day, has some manufactured touches, gets slot-only work, and helps a team.  But is not a fantasy top 36 guy.  

Steve Smith comp doesn't work.  First, we have to be nervous we have to go back that far, right? 2nd, Smith played outside, Moore is a slot.  And from a  completely non-analytics angle, Smitty was a freaking bulldog, he was a 5'9 Ray Lewis playing WR. As tough as they come.  

I did say most likely above, because I think he could be a thing.  Unlike say, Tutu Atwell, who I will not draft.  His physical profile doesn't really have a decent comp, he's very unusual. There haven't been any other guys this short that made it? Well, there haven't been many guys this short that were good, let alone this good.  This isn't like a guy who is 6'2, 200, who runs a 4.7, and some bonehead yells out, ANQUAN BOLDIN!!!!!

His comps on MockDraftable are all below 70%.  His spider chart is hilarious, by the way.  

I am concerned that he's going to lose the draft capital war as well.  This is the year of the slot guy.  There are a bunch of them. If I had to call it, I would say 3rd round.  

I really want him to be a thing, but......

He's 5'7".  Since 2000, you have Cole Beasley.  

Slot only guy. 80% of catches from slot.  

7 games in two years.

Multiple lower body injuries.  

I think it's most likely he winds up as a valued 3rd/4th WR for NFL teams, who runs back kicks, plays about 50% of the snaps on a good day, has some manufactured touches, gets slot-only work, and helps a team.  But is not a fantasy top 36 guy.  

Steve Smith comp doesn't work.  First, we have to be nervous we have to go back that far, right? 2nd, Smith played outside, Moore is a slot.  And from a  completely non-analytics angle, Smitty was a freaking bulldog, he was a 5'9 Ray Lewis playing WR. As tough as they come.  

I did say most likely above, because I think he could be a thing.  Unlike say, Tutu Atwell, who I will not draft.  His physical profile doesn't really have a decent comp, he's very unusual. There haven't been any other guys this short that made it? Well, there haven't been many guys this short that were good, let alone this good.  This isn't like a guy who is 6'2, 200, who runs a 4.7, and some bonehead yells out, ANQUAN BOLDIN!!!!!

His comps on MockDraftable are all below 70%.  His spider chart is hilarious, by the way.  

I am concerned that he's going to lose the draft capital war as well.  This is the year of the slot guy.  There are a bunch of them. If I had to call it, I would say 3rd round.  
Isn’t Moore just a better version of Tavon Austin?

Couple hypothetical scenarios:

*The Patriots trade up for Lance then draft Ronald sometime day 2 - I want all things Rondale Moore

*The Raiders draft him and their first press release includes the words 'we will figure out how to use him' - delete and run far, far away

---

I think he has the profile that could break the mold, but no matter the situation he is drafted into he comes with risk. He wins because he is an exceptionally difficult cover and even harder to tackle once he has the ball in his hands. The issue that he has control over is his body's ability to sustain a sufficient workload. I'm more willing to bet on that (in early round 2?) if I trust his team actually has a (good!) plan for him.

Isn’t Moore just a better version of Tavon Austin?
Maybe, and maybe with much worse draft capital.  

Austin was fast.  Moore is faster.  Now, Moore's 40 time was pro day, so grain of salt.  But he also ran the fastest 40 in the country coming out of high school.  He's a 4.3 guy, no problem.  Moore blows away his vert and broad.  

Moore is two years younger than Austin when he was drafted. 

True frosh season: Austin, 15 receptions 151 yards, 1 TD.  Moore, 114 rec, 1258 yards, 12 TDs.   :lmao:  

Inch shorter,a bit thicker than Austin.  

We'll see where his ADP resides, post-draft, because he's either gonna be a do not touch at ADP, or a guy I am happy to take, rather than over-drafting a guy because there's a 'RB' next to his name.  

For those of us unfortunate enough to win our leagues   :hophead:  and stuck drafting from the 1.12 slot it comes down to Moore or maybe Gainwell. They seem to be the most likely options available. I'm not thrilled with either. Might try to trade back and pick up a 2022 first.

Cardinals selected Purdue WR Rondale Moore with the No. 49 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Moore (5'7/181) set the nation ablaze as an 18-year-old freshmen at Purdue, hauling in 114 catches for 1,258 yards and 12 scores with 37 broken tackles to boot. Injuries limited him to only seven games the past two years, but he still left the Golden Gophers with a career 8.9 catches per game and mild experience as a punt (6.9 average) and kick returner (18.5). While most NFL corners will tower over him, Moore, who recorded the highest SPARQ rating in the country during his recruitment process, will be stronger and more athletic than all — hence how 71% of his collegiate receiving yardage occurred after the catch. His career outlook still boils down to whether or not he's used correctly as 78% of his receptions came within 10 yards of the line scrimmage. He'll likely open his rookie year as the Cardinals' No. 4 receiver behind DeAndre Hopkins, A.J. Green, and Christian Kirk.

Apr 30, 2021, 8:25 PM ET

Good landing spot.  Coaching staff will find ways to get him the ball in space.  It’s a good offense with other WR’s the defense has to account for.  Kyler’s a good young QB.  I think this is about as good a landing spot as you could have hoped for in regards to his FF value.

I like it for him and the Cards. They are lacking speed big time, and he could really open the offense up.

kutta said:
I like it for him and the Cards. They are lacking speed big time, and he could really open the offense up.
You bring up a good point. They have Hopkins, and then not a lot of super exciting guys.  

With a guy his size and skills, you really need to scheme plays for him. He can't just run deep posts from the slot.  

I wouldn't trust many coaches to do that. AZ might very well be best possible landing spot of any team.  

I think Moore will give the Cardinals the kind of weapon they were hoping to get from Jarius Wright (Andy Isaballa) who they envisioned a Wes Welker/Julian Edelman type of role for.

Users who are viewing this thread