What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bat behind the shutter... (1 Viewer)

Beef Ravioli

Footballguy
leave it be or take steps to get him out of there?

I have noticed little mice size turds by our front door for some time, right under our shutter. Today it dawned on me, “it’s not a mouse, but probably a bat”. Is it a big deal or let him eat bugs?

leave it be or take steps to get him out of there?

I have noticed little mice size turds by our front door for some time, right under our shutter. Today it dawned on me, “it’s not a mouse, but probably a bat”. Is it a big deal or let him eat bugs?
I dont have a large sample size but indoor insect fogger pisses them off and can make them leave without killing them. You can tape it to an extension pole and place it right underneath and walk away. 

Paging @Ray Karpis

I think he's the one who had a bat in the house?

I'm not letting that thing hang around. Figure out how to drive it away and remove the shutter.

Had 2-3 bats in my backyard last year - lazy mofo's were eating my tomatoes. During the day they would retreat to the coolness of my outside basement steps.

Wife called animal control and they came and removed them.

Had bats in the attic once and couldn't get them to leave.  Finally sprayed some Hartz flea spray for cats on them.  They hate that stuff.  They were gone in about two minutes.

Enderdog said:
Had bats in the attic once and couldn't get them to leave.  Finally sprayed some Hartz flea spray for cats on them.  They hate that stuff.  They were gone in about two minutes.
This made me  :lmao: more than it should have. 

I watched some YouTube videos about bats behind the shutters and now I am really freaked out! I am scared every time I walk by the shutter to or from my front door. 

Bat threads are fun, but I'd just note again that a strange-acting bat is not to be trifled with.  If you call a pest removal service in my City (Milwaukee) and have a bat in your house, they could make you get rabies shots.  These are rarely covered by insurance.  My neighbor had several bats in his house a few years ago, upstairs in his kids' rooms. He killed one of them (hiding in a shoe in his closet, which he found when putting the shoe on).  Unfortunately, he had crushed the bat's head to the point they could not test it for rabies. He had to get shots for himself, wife and two kids - about $5,000 total out of pocket.

odds are it is none other than batman himself so just tell ben to go home because he is a laroosh and so is batman he will probably grouse a bit but he will get a move on shortly after that take that to the bank bromigos 

Bat threads are fun, but I'd just note again that a strange-acting bat is not to be trifled with.  If you call a pest removal service in my City (Milwaukee) and have a bat in your house, they could make you get rabies shots.  These are rarely covered by insurance.  My neighbor had several bats in his house a few years ago, upstairs in his kids' rooms. He killed one of them (hiding in a shoe in his closet, which he found when putting the shoe on).  Unfortunately, he had crushed the bat's head to the point they could not test it for rabies. He had to get shots for himself, wife and two kids - about $5,000 total out of pocket.
They were forced?

Many years ago I had a bat in my house that was rabid. We were not forced to get shots.

I'm not saying it's not a safe and prudent thing to do, just surprised they could be forced. 

They were forced?

Many years ago I had a bat in my house that was rabid. We were not forced to get shots.

I'm not saying it's not a safe and prudent thing to do, just surprised they could be forced. 
It is surprising, but that is what I was told.  He's not a guy who is inclined to tell tall tales, but maybe I misunderstood. I guess it is possible it was his wife, not the city, that forced him to pay for the shots.

Build a bat house
:goodposting:

Bats have a tough time in the modern anthropogenic ecosystem, but they do lots of great things including eating bugs and pollination of plants. Plus they are cool animals. Built a house for your batbros. You and your neighbors will be happier for it.

It is surprising, but that is what I was told.  He's not a guy who is inclined to tell tall tales, but maybe I misunderstood. I guess it is possible it was his wife, not the city, that forced him to pay for the shots.
It could be that it's a different time, different municipality too. My experience was 30+ years ago.

Because of the bat, we had our cats put down though. I discovered the bat because one of the cats was playing with it (bat was already dead). After talking to the vet, I brought the bat to the state office (what department,  I don't remember). I got a call shortly after, letting me know that the bat was rabid. After a discussion with the vet, we made our decision on the cats.

Luckily I had worn gloves when handling the bat, as well as the cats that morning. 

Bats are the worst.  I was changing my furnace filter once and while I was putting the new filter in, I noticed something out of the corner of my eye on the old one.  Looked at it and a bat was clinging to it.  Freaked me out....

Dedfin said:
:goodposting:

Bats have a tough time in the modern anthropogenic ecosystem, but they do lots of great things including eating bugs and pollination of plants. Plus they are cool animals. Built a house for your batbros. You and your neighbors will be happier for it.
Their benefits for pollinating and bug control are very minimal. In fact in a suburban environment it is almost nil. Unless you get attacked by moths daily and have banana trees.

Users who are viewing this thread