What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Clay Mathews “Roughing” Call... (1 Viewer)

A play identical to the call on Matthews happened in the 1st quarter of the Cowboys/Seahawks game today. The Cowboy making the sack was flagged for it.

I really don't think we need a special rule to exempt Clay Matthews from the rule just because he's on a lot of commercials. If the rule stinks, change it. While the rule stays, Matthews has to adjust. He isn't getting screwed.

A play identical to the call on Matthews happened in the 1st quarter of the Cowboys/Seahawks game today. The Cowboy making the sack was flagged for it.

I really don't think we need a special rule to exempt Clay Matthews from the rule just because he's on a lot of commercials. If the rule stinks, change it. While the rule stays, Matthews has to adjust. He isn't getting screwed.
I guess Matthews needs to just shove the QB as hard as he can and hope he somehow goes down.

Getting to the point where the NFL should suspend Clay before he seriously injures a QB.
It is impossible to get injured with the last two hits he was flagged for.  Cousins got destroyed 3 times today from the side..but they were I huess what you would call legal  hits.

And I hate GB!!

Last edited by a moderator:

These roughing calls are so ####### stupid, I’m getting fed up with the NFL.

Today was my first day watching football all day for the first time this year, and some of this is so annoying. If you’re going to pay QBs $20+MM a season, getting hit is something they’re going to have to deal with. Can’t him low, high, land on them - how are you supposed to tackle them? Just put a flag on the QB and be done with it.

Just my .02.

If he was serious about not hurting QBs, he would just do what the NFL wants and learn to levitate. It's obvious that that is what the NFL expects, and by not doing it, he's the dirtiest player out there.
Dr. Nefario made some antigravity potion, although I think it might be on the banned substance list.

Just Matthews?
Whoever...this is worse than the catch rule as it is not even reviewable. Matthews made a great play and safe tackle...no good.
I don't like the rule, but the idea that Matthews is being picked on is silly.

Again, did anyone see the sack for which the Cowboys were flagged in the first Q against the Seahawks? Nearly identical to the play Matthews was flagged on. Flag was thrown.

Again, did anyone see the sack for which the Cowboys were flagged in the first Q against the Seahawks? Nearly identical to the play Matthews was flagged on. Flag was thrown.
Then why didn't the Redskin player get flagged for the play already linked here multiple times?  It was far far more egregious.

No..not being picked on at all.  I do not like Matthews or GB but really do not know what else he could do today,  Front on face to face tackle and turned his head and hit in the chest area.....where is he supposed to land?

Exactly.  Which play looked more like a penalty?

Let's face it, 2 things were going on today:

1) Clay is on the NFL's radar now, so he's basically screwed

2) the calls were one-sided against GB the entire day, always at critical moments.  Horrific, blatantly biased officiating all day.
Please.  #2 is a bunch of BS.  GB played sloppy.  Their CBs can't cover without grabbing.  They can't run the ball.  Their WRs can't get open and dropped key passes.  And Rodgers is clearly hurt, so him dancing around while WRs can't get separation is a bad mix for an OL that ends up forced to hold on every play.  They are lucky the refs didn't throw twice the flags they did.

#1 is an awful rule by the NFL.  It should not have been called this week or last week.  And refs should take it into their own hands to err on the side of the defensive player.

Are fans going to stop whining when their QB is hit and lost for the season because  of a similar tackle?   
They are not lost for the season on those kinds of tackles. This rule will be adjusted soon.  Tony Dungy was all over it saying the rules has to be changed and it is impossible for defensive players.

Will the NFL outlaw scrambling qbs after garoppolos injury today?
The worst part about that play is the fact that he was surrounded by 5 Chiefs and the friendly sideline was right there. 

Just a stupid play. As a 49ers fan, I can’t complain about any rules on this play. All I can do is wonder wtf he was thinking.

Hmmm, here are 5 guys bigger, stronger, & more athletic than me... let’s see what happens if I don’t go out of bounds.

I’d assume he probably realized the flaws in his thought process instantly. 

The worst part about that play is the fact that he was surrounded by 5 Chiefs and the friendly sideline was right there. 

Just a stupid play. As a 49ers fan, I can’t complain about any rules on this play. All I can do is wonder wtf he was thinking.

Hmmm, here are 5 guys bigger, stronger, & more athletic than me... let’s see what happens if I don’t go out of bounds.

I’d assume he probably realized the flaws in his thought process instantly. 
Whatever the case, i'm sure the NFL will find a way to punish future defenses for it

Please.  #2 is a bunch of BS.  GB played sloppy.  Their CBs can't cover without grabbing.  They can't run the ball.  Their WRs can't get open and dropped key passes.  And Rodgers is clearly hurt, so him dancing around while WRs can't get separation is a bad mix for an OL that ends up forced to hold on every play.  They are lucky the refs didn't throw twice the flags they did.

#1 is an awful rule by the NFL.  It should not have been called this week or last week.  And refs should take it into their own hands to err on the side of the defensive player.
I agree 100% that they played horrible and deserved to lose.

I think the networks know this rule is BS and is going to hurt their bottomline. They both made sure to cut in to every game to show that tackle and the resulting penalty to get maximum outrage going around the nation.

No, evidently lots of people think it was a good call, and that the NFL isn't conspiring against Clay.
I just watched it like 3 tines. There’s nothing Matthews could have done to stop his momentum, he hit with the shoulder, it was a torso tackle - that gravity brought him down on top of the QB is just how physics works. There’s no way to avoid what happened there. That was as clean a tackle as can possibly be.

i don’t give 2 turds who says otherwise, including football talking heads. That was a terrible call. I’m capable of making that determination without the “argumentum ad populum” fallacy, thanks. 

Again, the announcers, the booth ref, the talking heads in every NFL outlet that I have seen, agree it was a bad call. These are people that are closer to all things NFL than anyone on these boards and have nothing to gain by saying it was s bad call. Yet, all agree it was a bad call. 

It didn’t cost the Packers that game, terrible D, and dropped passes did that, but that call came at a bad time and certainly didn’t help. 

Again, the announcers, the booth ref, the talking heads in every NFL outlet that I have seen, agree it was a bad call. These are people that are closer to all things NFL than anyone on these boards and have nothing to gain by saying it was s bad call. Yet, all agree it was a bad call. 

It didn’t cost the Packers that game, terrible D, and dropped passes did that, but that call came at a bad time and certainly didn’t help. 
When Tony Dungy says it’s a bad call, that’s enough for me. One Dungy is worth 1000 Steven A Smiths. 

Tre White for the Bills got called for an equally ridiculous penalty today. Perfect form tackle on a receiver and they called him for hitting a defenseless receiver apparently. Hard tackles are now personal fouls.

Users who are viewing this thread