What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Clay Mathews “Roughing” Call... (1 Viewer)

bryhamm said:
andy, if he "drove" him to the ground, then he would not be putting his left arm out to break the fall.  he absolutely did NOT drive him into the ground.
Spot on. This is the part Andy refuses to acknowledge

Isn’t every call a judgment call by an official? A challenge happens when an official makes a call, (judgement call to be exact) a coach challenges that call and it gets reviewed by someone else who can take a moment and look at different views and then agree or disagree with said officials judgment. I dont mean that sarcastically, just saying coaches now are challenging judgment calls by officials. What’s one more judgment being challenged? Anyway, I doubt anything like that will happen, so who cares, but every call an official makes is his own judgment, right or wrong. 

This is a good discussion, I just wish our opinions mattered more, well my opinion anyway :)
A judgement call is where you can argue if it was a foul or not. Reviews only really work when it’s something like stepping out of bounds or fumble before knee hits and then they only overturn when it’s 100%.

Sucks when your team gets jobbed but it happens. 

NFL to use Clay Matthews’ penalty as a “teaching tool” for pass rushers

The NFL will use two roughing the passer penalties from the Packers-Vikings game as teaching tools this week.

The two roughing penalties in that game — one on Eric Kendricks and one on Clay Matthews — were correctly officiated, according to a league source. The technique of grabbing the passer from behind the leg or legs, scooping and pulling in an upward motion, is a foul.

NFL Senior Vice President of Officiating Al Riveron will share the two plays with teams this week to reiterate that the tactic is a foul.

Matthews and the Packers publicly have disagreed with referee Tony Corrente’s decision to penalize the Packers linebacker for his hit on Kirk Cousins.

Jaire Alexander intercepted Cousins’ pass with 1:45 remaining in the fourth quarter, which would have allowed Green Bay to escape with a 29-21 victory. Instead, the 15-yard penalty kept the drive alive, and the Vikings scored a touchdown and two-point conversion to send the game to overtime.

Kendricks’ penalty on Aaron Rodgers came late in the second quarter and helped Green Bay kick a field goal on the final play of the half.
:lmao:

Seriously, this is hilarious.

The whole world knows it was a textbook sack except for the NFL.

A judgement call is where you can argue if it was a foul or not. Reviews only really work when it’s something like stepping out of bounds or fumble before knee hits and then they only overturn when it’s 100%.

Sucks when your team gets jobbed but it happens. 
True. But what percentage is truly 100% correct on those calls? Definitely not 100%, so then what’s the difference? If they miss even 5% of those calls, they could easily correct missed penalties or overturn bad calls. 

None of it is 100%, again I get what you are saying and I don’t honestly disagree. But using the 100% thing is 100% not the real reason the NFL won’t add something like that to reviews. 

True. But what percentage is truly 100% correct on those calls? Definitely not 100%, so then what’s the difference? If they miss even 5% of those calls, they could easily correct missed penalties or overturn bad calls. 

None of it is 100%, again I get what you are saying and I don’t honestly disagree. But using the 100% thing is 100% not the real reason the NFL won’t add something like that to reviews. 
Well the initial call is the part that can be messed up. After that the review only changes call if it is 100% clear. 

A call like the Matthews hit cannot be ruled on because it’s a judgement call. Even one like this that is pretty clear, you can’t start ruling on those with replay just got to roll with what the ref initially says. Just my 2 cents.

This addition to the rules this year - the driving the QB into the ground - is a good addition IMO. They just have to learn how to call it and players have to learn to avoid it. They’ll figure it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
We all know that grabbing a leg and lifting it is pretty much the opposite of a fundamental tackle...  

The NFL is horrible at making rules. 
Not what I meant.  It was Matthews' driving through the tackle (His leg drive) that drew the flag, IMO.

Last thing, then I'm done with this craziness....Question for my GB @Andy DufresneDufresne The ref Corrente said he threw the flag because Matthews lifted Cousins and drilled him into the ground. Is that what you saw?

I have reffed hundreds of games as a white hat...albeit at the high school level.....not at the highest level and at the highest speeds...as a ref, you know roughing when you see it....you also know just a good freaking brutal football hit when you see it.....I get all the things they are trying to do....actually that’s a lie...I really don’t....at some point I think you need to block better, protect better, don’t put your QB in the spot to take the hit...there has to be some penalty for blocking like #### and allowing your QB to get hit....at this point it is almost advantageous to let a defensive player beat you and have a free shot at your QB....but at its core one of the things about this sport that made it different from almost every other sport except maybe boxing or something is the physical nature and making the opponent “feel you” in a bad way with bad intentions.....so the WR DIDNT want to go over the middle, so that if you whiffed on a block your QB DID take a big hit....so maybe you don’t throw over the middle anymore or you keep extra players in to protect your QB.....the offense should be the ones having to change their strategy....if you don’t want your defenseless receiver to be hit....DONT PUT YOUR RECEIVER IN A DEFENSLESS POSITION....do something else....run the ball, whatever....otherwise....deal with it....

How far we've come from this, eh?

And this.

Not a bad thing per se, but we're at a point where players, taught fundamentals from Day 1 in Pee Wee, are having those fundamentals completely subverted at the highest levels of the game. So I get why Clay Matthews is agog.

It's super interesting to see how this particular call is going to pan out over time.
Imagine a DB blitzing a player like Cam. He’s got no chance under this rule. Can’t hit him too high, can’t leave your feet, and if he gets the pass off, you can’t hit him at all. 

I think the point of all these rule changes is not to "protect the qb", but to take the physical punishment out of the game.  That is, anything that's unnecessarily injurious, even potentially, needs to be eliminated.  (another $.02)

The white hat is “responsible” for the QB throughout the entirety of the play....which is fine....but unfortunately the mentality now is the defender must show the white hat reason for the white hat NOT to throw the flag instead of a reason TOO throw the flag...

did i use too/to right?

Tired of the officiating.  Tired of the league refusing to admit its mistakes on calls against the Packers.  Other teams have owners advocating for them, not so G.B.  It shows.  Cousin's leg is rising from the momentum of his follow through.  It is rising before Matthews touches it.  It continues on its trajectory.  Matthews does not pull it up or hold it to prevent Cousins from protecting himself.  Matthews braces he and Cousins from the fall.  Sorry league, there is video evidence against the original call and against your story now.  You are too damn chicken #### to admit your mistakes.

I have CRS disease. Please refresh my memory.
Andy Dufresne has defended the "lifting/picking up" portion of the call as legit, just so long as you interpret "lifting/picking up" to mean "turning/twisting" instead, and ignore that whatever turning/twisting motion occurred was the result of Cousins' follow-through and not anything Matthews did.

He has also repeatedly pointed out that the NFL does not want defensive players in the process of making a tackle to land on the QB, ignoring that Referee Corrente specifically stated that the way Matthews landed on Cousins was not the reason the flag was thrown.

I think that pretty much gets you caught up.

The call was horrible the NFL sticking up for it is worse, Next Weekend Ill be doing something else,  other than watching NFL football, that was the game on in my area and I was watching and got a bad taste in my mouth,

Im not even close to a Packer Fan

Why? All you're going to do is tell me again how stupid it is that I understand the stupid NFL's stupid rule.

It's not like there's any chance you'll say something akin to "Oh, NOW I understand."
Well that's not true at all. I respect your opinions, always have. You're defending the rule and that's fine. But Corrente applied the rule incorrectly on this play. His own words says so. 

Aside from directly changing the outcome of the game itself - which should be an unforgivable sin for an official - the league has now built in an expectation from fans that any tackle of a QB could be penalized, since Mathews tackle appeared to be completely compliant and legal to 99% of the fans watching it.  This may end up pretty ugly for the league in terms of viewership if people are so turned off and frustrated that they simply stop watching.  

This is supposed to be entertainment.  Politics has already been inserted into it and a lot of fans are unhappy about that.  Now they’re going to significantly ratchet up the frustration level?

Maybe they ought to go back to "in the grasp" -- to sack a quarterback, one just needs to grab them a bit rather than tackle them to the ground.

Then at least free pass rushers can grip the QB (IMHO, even a handful of jersey should be enough), immediately release, and call that a "sack".

This too was a BS penalty - the hit on Rodgers by Kendricks earlier in the game.  At least they were consistent is about the only thing you can say...

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1041736914418655232/pu/vid/240x240/4RSgjfmlwAOgI1xE.mp4?tag=5
What was supposed to be wrong with that one? From the reverse angle, I can kinda see the Matthews-Cousins sack as looking much, much worse than it really was. But the Kendricks-Rodgers one looks like a mild sack, generic shoulder tackle at the waist, no extra sauce, not gripping the QB's leg, none of that.

If it was because Rodgers had already released the ball ... eh, OK. Sacks are then de facto illegal. QBs shouldn't be able to save a jailbreak sack by throwing the ball away at the last second and counting on a flag.

We all know that grabbing a leg and lifting it is pretty much the opposite of a fundamental tackle...  

The NFL is horrible at making rules. 
I don't even get the lifting the leg viewpoint on this sack.

You would lift the leg that's planted in order to help you tackle and help make it easier to drive someone (intended or not) into the ground.

1) Clay's left hand does seem to drop to Cousin's thigh, but Cousins was already falling from initial contact, so it's not like lifting the leg contributed to the sack

2) Furthermore, the leg is the one in the air -- to lift a leg to help you tackle, you would lift a leg that's planted/on the ground. THAT sounds like the behavior they are trying to do away with -- the lifting/planting into the turf. Even if you don't buy that Clay's leg contact was incidental, I don't see how he gained any advantage or created added risk by that kind of contact on a non-planted leg.

This is just a silly call IMHO.

ETA: But we can definitely agree on the bolded part.

Is the office of the NFL that stupid that they dont know what a throwing motion is? Obviously they are that stupid,

Throwing motion when tring to throw hard

front leg is stiff for resistance back leg comes up on follow thru 

NFL  joke

NFL Officials  are a joke

The call is a Joke

The players association should fine the league and Godell and all the idiots need to go.

Im done watching for a while

Joe Thomas‏Verified account @joethomas73

Joe Thomas Retweeted Golic and Wingo

Would the person at the @NFL who thinks the @ClayMatthews52 hit was a foul please stand up so you can; be isolated, publicly shamed and humiliated, and taken away to North Korea so you aren’t able to further in your quest to destroy the game we all have come to know and love
Good thing Andy doesn't work for the NFL.  (or does he?)

Its a terrible rule, but they're calling it as its written. Clay and Smith both had their feet come off the ground, and he drove him downwards with all his weight landing on him. That's what they are trying to avoid. Hate it though. 

Users who are viewing this thread