What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast (#### On A Shingle) - Ever had it? (1 Viewer)

Binky The Doormat

Footballguy
recipe

picture

Ever have this stuff?  Been maligned for ages - but its pretty another form of sausage gravy and biscuits.  Apparently, it's bad rep comes from the lousy version that was served in the army/navy.  My dad wasn't a fan due to his time in the navy.  

My mom would make it sometimes when dad was working - I loved it ...rich gravy fortified with bacon grease, and I loved Budig dried beef.  It came in juice sized jars too.  

My mom used to throw together a version using that really thin sliced Buddig roast beef.  Our family was living on a schoolteacher's salary but there was probably more meat in her version than in the picture.  That said, it's probably better in my memories than it would be to eat today

I think you could make a nice version with some leftover brisket and a cream gravy.  Maybe add some mushrooms and carmelized onions.  It's kind of similar to Turkey a la King with a much less fancy name.  The turkey stuff is always a highlight of Thanksgiving leftovers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course.  Staple as a kid.  Delicious then compared to the terrible stuff that generation made.  Stuffed bell peppers, tuna casserole.  Anything with that kind of gravy is gonna taste good.  But it's preserved meat in salt covered with fat on white bread.  Takes a year from your life every time you eat it.

Of course.  Staple as a kid.  Delicious then compared to the terrible stuff that generation made.  Stuffed bell peppers, tuna casserole.  Anything with that kind of gravy is gonna taste good.  But it's preserved meat in salt covered with fat on white bread.  Takes a year from your life every time you eat it.
LOL I should have been dead 20 years ago then.

It was a regular meal growing up.  Interesting to see the demographics of who had it.  Born 1970, Mom was from Indiana.

Judge Smails said:
I love stuffed peppers :unsure:

Had this many times as a kid. If it wasn't this for breakfast it was cheese toast or cinnamon toast. 

South Carolina 

I'm a fan, but it contains enough sodium for an entire week. DInty Moore beef stew is also a favorite, but I avoid it for the same reason.

We had something like it growing up (and I liked it), but it seems like I remember it having hard-cooked eggs rather than dried beef. Anyone else?

Indiana, 1963

Then at some point mom discovered biscuits and sausage gravy and put SOS firmly in the rear-view.

It’s usually my go-to when I eat at a diner. Wawa’s isn’t bad either. 

Was at a Tampa diner a couple years ago, and our waitress was surprised when my wife and I (both early 30s) both ordered it?:

Waitress: “Really? Are you sure?”

Me: “Why, is it not good here?”

Waitress: “No, I’m just surprised because old people are the only ones that ever order it.”

Binky The Doormat said:
recipe

picture

Ever have this stuff?  Been maligned for ages - but its pretty another form of sausage gravy and biscuits.  Apparently, it's bad rep comes from the lousy version that was served in the army/navy.  My dad wasn't a fan due to his time in the navy.  

My mom would make it sometimes when dad was working - I loved it ...rich gravy fortified with bacon grease, and I loved Budig dried beef.  It came in juice sized jars too.  
Grew up on this stuff. LOVED IT!! Long live "Poop on a Shingle"

Used to eat it all the time as a kid.  I can't make gravy at all, so I eat dried beef on sandwiches now.  If fact that's what I packed today for lunch:  Bread, mayo, four slices of Armour Dried Beef.

My two favorite breakfast foods (don't eat eggs) are biskits&gravee and corned beef hash, so you know i'm lovin me some SOS.. Gravy anything, man. i make pancakes & bacon for the peeps on Sunday and, cleaning up, i stir flour into the bacon grease and put the resulting roux in a tub in the fridge so i can turn anything - pan drippings, bouillon, orange juice if i wanted to - into gravy, with a bacon tip, like that. Never knew why they don't sell jarred roux in the supermarket. Why, yes, i do weigh over 300 pounds - thx for asking.

I'm wondering, @Binky The Doormat, did Isaly's ever serve their chipped ham on a shingle? Woulda been a natural, but i dont remember having it backinaday.

My two favorite breakfast foods (don't eat eggs) are biskits&gravee and corned beef hash, so you know i'm lovin me some SOS.. Gravy anything, man. i make pancakes & bacon for the peeps on Sunday and, cleaning up, i stir flour into the bacon grease and put the resulting roux in a tub in the fridge so i can turn anything - pan drippings, bouillon, orange juice if i wanted to - into gravy, with a bacon tip, like that. Never knew why they don't sell jarred roux in the supermarket. Why, yes, i do weigh over 300 pounds - thx for asking.

I'm wondering, @Binky The Doormat, did Isaly's ever serve their chipped ham on a shingle? Woulda been a natural, but i dont remember having it backinaday.
I have never been to Isaly's, so I don't know. I checked out their website - and they have a recipe page, but no rendition of them and gravy (they do have a cheesy grits recipe that looks good). 

I have mentioned it here, but the main other thing to do with chipped chop ham was to mix it with bbq sauce and make a sloppy joe type sandwich.  You could count on a crockpot full of this stuff at every potluck.  It was cheap and delicious and was sure to be popular.  The lazy moms wouldn't brown the slices first though ...getting some blackened, crisped edges on the ham makes it even better.  

GRAVY NOTE:  Like a lot of moms, mine is a great cook - and she made gravy with almost every meal.  We had fried chicken 1-2 a week, chicken fried steak, fried pork chops, you name it - she fried it.  Never a deep fryer, she always used a large, deep electric frying pan (the black iron skillet was used for crispy, non-sweet corn bread in the oven).  Then, of course, she made gravy.  The gravy was put on the potatoes, meat AND my favorite was putting gravy on a slice of bread (usually had several).  Gravy meal - almost every meal, and I loved it.   

I have never been to Isaly's, so I don't know. I checked out their website - and they have a recipe page, but no rendition of them and gravy (they do have a cheesy grits recipe that looks good). 

I have mentioned it here, but the main other thing to do with chipped chop ham was to mix it with bbq sauce and make a sloppy joe type sandwich.  You could count on a crockpot full of this stuff at every potluck.  It was cheap and delicious and was sure to be popular.  The lazy moms wouldn't brown the slices first though ...getting some blackened, crisped edges on the ham makes it even better.  

GRAVY NOTE:  Like a lot of moms, mine is a great cook - and she made gravy with almost every meal.  We had fried chicken 1-2 a week, chicken fried steak, fried pork chops, you name it - she fried it.  Never a deep fryer, she always used a large, deep electric frying pan (the black iron skillet was used for crispy, non-sweet corn bread in the oven).  Then, of course, she made gravy.  The gravy was put on the potatoes, meat AND my favorite was putting gravy on a slice of bread (usually had several).  Gravy meal - almost every meal, and I loved it.   
Oh, ice cream and things like chipped ham, swiss cheese and grilled onion sammiches make Isaly's one of my favorite Pgh memories.

Envy you - me Irish Ma couldn't fry anything without burning it. But gravy is indeed a salve for all culinary wounds

On Diners, Drive-ins & Dives, Guy Fieri went to one place run by a Marine who serves SOS on a portioned metal tray and allows veterans to take the tray home with them and return each Veterans Day to have it re-filled for free.

The timing of this is hilarious (to me anyway). My stepdad was a military guy and made/ate SOS all the time when I was a kid. I hadn't eaten it for 20 years. Couple weeks back, I went to the grocery store looking for "dried beef" for a dip I was making. Wasn't paying attention and accidentally grabbed a bag of pre-made SOS instead. I was pissed when I realized what had happened, but figured Id make the best of it, so Sunday morning I got up and announced that I would be making breakfast for everyone!

Wife and kids - Great! What's for breakfast?!?!

Me - SOS!!!

Wife and kids - What's that?

ME - #### ON A SHINGLE!!! 

Everyone refused to even try it and I ended up eating the whole bag myself (3 heaping shingles). Tasted just like I remembered!

Users who are viewing this thread