What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL Red Dead Redemption 2 Thread***aka AHRN'S MURDER HOBO ADVENTURE: HUNTS ELK AND PLAYS POKER (1 Viewer)

I was planning on taking the 4K plunge but with the holidays coming I can’t justify dropping a few grand to play games. 

Everyone in my house is sick, including me so I just started my download. Looking forward to some mayham while dozing in and out of my NyQuil induced haze

also, I ❤️ Nyquill

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the gunsmith ever there? Every time I stroll in there he’s gone so I rob the register of its 30-40 bucks. 

Obviously everybody can do what they want but that would take some of the fun of the game away for me. 
I chose to do the glitch so that I could pay off my bounties. No matter how clean I try to live, I'm too stupid not be break the law in some goofy way. And I struggle enough as it is to stay on task and not get derailed by every passerby who calls out to me or stupid animal that jumps out of the grass ahead of me... the last thing I need is to worry about the damn law. 

And I had my eye  on a snappy pair of spurs.

Does anyone know which mission triggers the end of Chapter 2? I think I am almost there but based on some stuff I have read here I don't want to move forward to Chapter 3 just yet, I'd like to upgrade everything I can before progressing any further in the main story. 

Does anyone know which mission triggers the end of Chapter 2? I think I am almost there but based on some stuff I have read here I don't want to move forward to Chapter 3 just yet, I'd like to upgrade everything I can before progressing any further in the main story. 
The one that starts with John Marston in the livestock area of Valentine.  Wish I had known this a few days ago.  Oh well.  

Softballguy said:
I chose to do the glitch so that I could pay off my bounties. No matter how clean I try to live, I'm too stupid not be break the law in some goofy way. And I struggle enough as it is to stay on task and not get derailed by every passerby who calls out to me or stupid animal that jumps out of the grass ahead of me... the last thing I need is to worry about the damn law. 

While riding the horse, there’s a huge difference between R1 and R2.   I keep riding up to people meaning to stop my horse,  only to end up shooting them in the chest. 

Forgot to mention while I was waiting for this to download and install last Friday, I fired up The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly on netflix while I was waiting. Good times and got me right in the mindset for the game. :suds:

This is taking forever to download. It’s been 10 hours and still has like 6 hours left. Looks like I won’t be playing till tomorrow. 

I spent a good chunk of last night just riding across the map for a home robbery.  In theory, I think you're supposed to sneak in at night to steal stuff, but I prefer just doing these during the day and murdering everybody.  (Note: If you haven't done any of these yet, "home robberies" involve stealing from gangs of outlaws who are all armed and auto-hostile).  The one I made it to last night got me a couple hundred dollars and, more importantly, a new horse.  I had been using that big horse you get at the beginning of the game, but now I have a standardbred that I like a lot more.  

Regardless, it's a lot of fun just riding along, unlocking the map, hunting here and there, and encountering random events.  Still in Chapter 2.

I spent a good chunk of last night just riding across the map for a home robbery.  In theory, I think you're supposed to sneak in at night to steal stuff, but I prefer just doing these during the day and murdering everybody.  (Note: If you haven't done any of these yet, "home robberies" involve stealing from gangs of outlaws who are all armed and auto-hostile).  The one I made it to last night got me a couple hundred dollars and, more importantly, a new horse.  I had been using that big horse you get at the beginning of the game, but now I have a standardbred that I like a lot more.  

Regardless, it's a lot of fun just riding along, unlocking the map, hunting here and there, and encountering random events.  Still in Chapter 2.
Does that end the set of missions right there and then?   Or do the follow up missions take place still?

The Marston one also it doesn't matter upgrading weapons in this like other RPG games and FPS. A headshot is a headshot all enemies die the same way. I mean if you want to upgrade for ammo go ahead. I suggest if you are doing weapons a pump action Shotgun (I got my repeater one last night and it helped me clean sweep some bandits) and a sniper rifle though when you start the Marston mission he ask you to go get a sniper from the Gunshop. 

Favorite moments from last night.

Standing beside a trail, zoomed in on a pristine pronghorn who unknowingly volunteered to turn his hide into table covers at the campsite.  And just as I'm about to squeeze the trigger, a pair of cowboys ride past, heads moving through my crosshairs. Just barely managed to avoid shooting them.

Fun with controls. Had two horses for hauling stuff, both standing close to each other. Tried to put a carcass on secondary horse. It instead replaced carcass on primary horse, dumping his to the ground. Tried to pick it up, instead it tried to remove the new carcass on primary.  Tried again, it did it again.  I frustratedly spam buttons to try to stop it, and not only succeed in stopping, but throw a punch into the horse's side like Rocky in the meat freezer.  Horse takes off running and was a REALLY long time calming down enough to let me ride him.

And finally, in real life I hopped in the car to go somewhere.  Pulling out of my subdivision I saw a cat with a gorgeous glossy black coat and a really fluffy tail starting to go under a fence nearby. I felt this instant and overpowering instinct to quickly raise a gun and blast it for its pelt.  

I'm now 79% finished. I finished chapter 6 and in the epilogue now which is really fun. I won't give anything away but the diehards will be pleasantly surprised and will enjoy it. Theres some neat stuff with the local Native American tribe going on in chapter 6 as well. 

Is it stupid to skip hunting? Im really bad at it and don't have the patience. 
If you don’t care about trapper clothing or camp upgrades that are mostly superficial. I think hunting is fun. Saw some guy on Reddit do a “6 day camping trip” going all over the map. I may do the same and just not worry about doing anything relevant to missions or getting money. Been meaning to make my way deep into the mountains anyway. I learned a couple of spoilers and I’ve cut myself off. This game is way better just learning things on your own. Maybe instead of hunting the animals first study them and learn what kills them cleanly. Also, after you do study them if you use dead eye it will show you where a clean kill will be made on the animal with the weapon you’re using. 

Random encounter down in the swamps between Rhoades and Saint Denis (voodoo-related?):

During my first visit to the area, I stumbled upon a shack with a ton of Voodoo-looking #### in it. And paintings (odd).

Flash forward to the next time I visit, I see an “x” on the map for a corpse. I approach, and there is a corpse dangling from a tree. I shoot the rope and cut the body down. Suddenly, three zombie-looking MFers spawn out of nowhere. I thought they were ghosts. I kill them, take a closer look, and they are painted up like witch doctors. No idea wtf that was about.[/quote]

I went over there just roaming around. I’m still on a Chapter 2
You got a long ways to go then. Rhoads is I believe next you visit after Chapter 2. I stumble upon. cross burning last night. So I took a stick of dynamite and blew those Mofos away. Then I took all their bodies and laid them at the burning cross and even the horses I led to there and burned it all up. Am I a sick ******* because they deserved the burning. 

Softballguy said:

Yep zero regrets on using the glitch here. I get in way to much trouble with the law so it’s totally worth it to me.   I ended up cashing out 3k worth and saved the rest of the bars for a rainy day.  

I really don’t care or have the time to loot every body I kill to earn a couple bucks, I’d rather do other stuff.  Totally get where some people feel it would make the game worse, I’m opposite I think it’s better being able to upgrade some stuff right away.   

More controller fun.

I walk out of the St Denis gunsmith, my horse waiting right there for me on the curb. I hit Y to mount him, and Arthur grabs a woman to the right who wasn't even on-screen, and begins choking her. I can't find a button to let her go and end up punching her which breaks the grapple.  I turn back to face my horse and hit Y, and Arthur spins back to the right and begins choking this nice Chinese man who came to assist the woman. So I beat his face too and then hop on my horse and flee to a hail of gunfire.

So Arthur, on his own in the last two days, has physically assaulted his horse, an old woman, and a good Samaritan Asian.  I hear muttering at the camp.  I think maybe they are planning an intervention for him.

More controller fun.

I walk out of the St Denis gunsmith, my horse waiting right there for me on the curb. I hit Y to mount him, and Arthur grabs a woman to the right who wasn't even on-screen, and begins choking her. I can't find a button to let her go and end up punching her which breaks the grapple.  I turn back to face my horse and hit Y, and Arthur spins back to the right and begins choking this nice Chinese man who came to assist the woman. So I beat his face too and then hop on my horse and flee to a hail of gunfire.

So Arthur, on his own in the last two days, has physically assaulted his horse, an old woman, and a good Samaritan Asian.  I hear muttering at the camp.  I think maybe they are planning an intervention for him.
LOL I did the something last night to a guy. 

Early on when you’re steering the stagecoach I ran full steam into another stagecoach and fell to the ground, this prompted my entire gang to open fire on the poor guy. It was a slaughter and oddly enough, no bounty. 

Another tme I was in town and I guess I bumped into a guy, accidently drew my gun, he drew his and fired and I blew his head clear off. Totally didn’t want that fight. 

I hate games that hold your hand at the start so I’m happy to be almost chapter 2. @bigmarc27 I totally know what you meant. I was nodding off for most of the start. I know the payoff will be worth it but lesser games don’t get this luxury and so would have already moved on.   

More controller fun.

I am glad that I am not the only one struggling with the controls. In the beginning with the train robbery mission, I either shot poor Lenny in the head or accidentally knocked him over the side.

More controller fun.

That choke move has gotten me too. :lmao:

So I bought some clothing from the trapper, but now it's not available from my camp or horse.  Any ideas?  Do I have to go back to the trapper to get my fancy hat back?

Also, grizzly hunting is no joke.  I got killed doing that a couple of times.  I need to be way more careful of my scent whafting downwind.

So I bought some clothing from the trapper, but now it's not available from my camp or horse.  Any ideas?  Do I have to go back to the trapper to get my fancy hat back?
In camp, change your clothes and choose the type (hat, vest, whatever) and I believe it should be a choice in there.      ETA:  Ok, maybe not.  My stupid legendary bear hat is available on the horse, but not in camp.  Nor are the legendary elk gloves I bought when I messed up and didn't have a winter outfit with me out north of Strawberry.

Speaking of clothes, I was wrong that the Trapper doesn't have anything with a bonus.  The Reinforced sets will give you a Health, Stamina or Dead Eye bonus. But you need the full set and each set is unlocked by completing one of the types of Challenges (Survivalist, Horseman, etc).

Also, grizzly hunting is no joke.  I got killed doing that a couple of times.  I need to be way more careful of my scent whafting downwind.
Springfield rifle with Express ammo to the head works wonders.  Anywhere else and it will take multiple shots.  Luckily, the auto-aim seems to go straight to the head when it's charging you.

Is it stupid to skip hunting? Im really bad at it and don't have the patience. 
You don't need to do the following the trail stuff if you don't want to.  Except for Legendary animals, those you do have to track fully to locate.

If you just keep an eye out while you ride along you'll find all sorts of animals.  Take a moment to do super vision and scan the area quick, and same with auto-aim with the gun to spot things before you get close enough to startle them.

Users who are viewing this thread