What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL Red Dead Redemption 2 Thread***aka AHRN'S MURDER HOBO ADVENTURE: HUNTS ELK AND PLAYS POKER (3 Viewers)

Really early thoughts...

• Graphics are amazing. I actually don’t think they can get much better for this time of game. I mean you get the frame rate up and stuff like that, but the actual graphics themselves are pretty much perfect. 
  • Controls feel a little sluggish?  I’m just not used to them I suppose, but going from a quick twitch shooter to this feels like a slog. 
  • Choices. I’ve only had one choice so far in the prologue, I immediately regretted my choice. I’m sure it doesn’t matter at all but I almost started the game over just to redo it. I’m the kid that used to read ahead in the choose your own adventure books. 

Curious how close to GTA this will be in terms of adult content. Already saw a nudity warning. My kids are going to crawl up my ### to watch me play it.

Curious how close to GTA this will be in terms of adult content. Already saw a nudity warning. My kids are going to crawl up my ### to watch me play it.
I wouldn't expect more than a scene of nudity based on the first one. Yeah, people like to say it's GTA-ish but it's really not quite as over the top/cartoony.

Barely been able to play on my day off. Being a responsible adult sucks sometime. 

So far the start us a little slow and I'm struggling to pick up the controls but I'm sure it will get better once the world opens up. 

GregR said:
So how is it?   I'm just back from the Texans game, no voice, a headache, and tired as hell.  Not going to give it a try tonight as I won't appreciate it in this shape.
It's amazing the tension to detail is down to Hoarse guys on the ground. When your hoarse runs into a rock wall or something it knocks you off your hoarse too. Game is some what slow in the beginning but thats RS way to teach you all the mechanics doing small jobs here and there as well as helping you unlock things you'll need along the way. 

(as an aside, questions like those always sound so absurd in this context. I am cool with letting my kids watch me murder video game people, blood and all, but video game sex freaks me out. Damn Puritans and their lasting cultural influence!)

belljr said:
Doubt this is really a spoiler since it's a camera 

But 

Cinema mode is awesome looking
Really love it when you are just riding along with Dutch or one of the other members. It makes a boring banter thing look good 

I played from 11PM to about 5:30AM this morning. I had my Starbucks Double shots and beer to hold me over last night. I messed up on like 3 choices because I hit the wrong button but they didn't royally #### me over. Beginning is slow but it's more so to teach mechanics and how to hunt, get supplies and each section of that you unlock you do with different gang members sometimes in a group or with one other guy. By Chapter 3 you pretty much start introducing to you to some of your other members backgrounds like why Arthur and John have issues, why Dutch has an issue with an opposing gang, as well as Arthur's background to getting into the group. I've already unlocked gambling, hunting and crafting. Also be careful of stealing and murder and crap. Theres people who will witness it and run to the nearest bounty hunter or law and then they hunt you down. I managed to kill one witness and lasso another one already. 

I'm eating breakfast and taking a shower and then heading out to get my Paycheck and schedule at work. Probably hitting the local WAWA for lunch because I'm too lazy to make it plus its cutting into game time stopping. The graphics in this is absolutely amazing even on my 1080 Screen for PS4. I'd love to see this and the first ones as movies someday. Some idiot was #####ing about the game on twitter and he got absolutely blasted and destroyed. It was funny. 

I’m having a bit of a tough time getting into it so far...  slow beginning is an understatement. I guess at this point Rockstar knows everyone has played their games and are willing to endure a slow start, but I’m nodding off here and there. 

I got to a part where I needed to shoot and I couldn’t figure out how to get my gun back out and I failed the mission as a result. I decided to take a break at that point. I’m really looking forward to the game opening up and for the controls to move into second nature. 

What is multiplayer like on this?  I can only tolerate a small amount of single player, but I did play RDR1 and Sykrim for awhile.  

Foosball God said:
No, I'm an #######.  He's already missed a couple days of school.  No fever, no stay home.
He should have gone for clammy palms.

That's a nice non-specific symptom.

What is multiplayer like on this?  I can only tolerate a small amount of single player, but I did play RDR1 and Sykrim for awhile.  
Its not on yet comes out next month in a beta. I think given its a beta we should get some funny glitches. 

As much as it pains me to say it, I’m not sure how much I like the game. 

Graphics are amazing, voice acting amazing, attention to detail amazing, gameplay... well, right now it’s boring. I’ve got about 4 hours in and at this point that consists of going from point A to point B and listening to a bunch of talk. Right now it’s a great movie, but not much of a video game. I’m going to keep trucking along, but I gotta say my first impression is one of disappointment.

Im half wondering in the back of my head if open world games have passed me by.  They’re just so insanely large now where you spend 10 minutes traveling instead of like Vice City where you could get around in a couple of minutes. 

Graphics are amazing, voice acting amazing, attention to detail amazing, gameplay... well, right now it’s boring. I’ve got about 4 hours in and at this point that consists of going from point A to point B and listening to a bunch of talk. Right now it’s a great movie, but not much of a video game. I’m going to keep trucking along, but I gotta say my first impression is one of disappointment.

Im half wondering in the back of my head if open world games have passed me by.  They’re just so insanely large now where you spend 10 minutes traveling instead of like Vice City where you could get around in a couple of minutes. 
Yeah, I almost want to hire a day laborer to do the first 8 hours for me or something.  All the comments on reddit are griping about the same thing.  

I get this complaint.  I can also understand if anyone hates all the button mashing that has to be done to run/travel move.

A couple things that have helped me enjoy it are 1) Turning off the map/compass.  You can bring it up anytime by pressing down on the dpad, but I find I watch the map more than immerse myself in the game when it's on and that makes it feel even more A to B like.  2) Going into cinematic mode for any A to B travels and just holding X.  You can still tell when there's a person who needs help or something along the way or w/e if you listen, it's obvious.  and C) I've been using 1st person view more often than I normally would.   I typically avoid 1st person if I can, but it's pretty well done in this.  A lot better than it was in GTA for sure. 

Yeah, I'm only a little bit in but feeling about the same so far.  I keep taking a break and doing non-video game stuff after each chapter to break it up.

Oh, and the joystick still makes you crouch.   :hot:     But at least you can go to an alternate control scheme that switches it.  

Yeah, I'm only a little bit in but feeling about the same so far.  I keep taking a break and doing non-video game stuff after each chapter to break it up.
Yes!  Same thing. I finally finished chapter 1 and get to the first time when the game opens up. I spend a bit walking around and then I quit. I came back and hour later with the sole goal of finding poker, instead I had a fistfight and I decided to quit again. 

Also so what’s with having to eat and change clothes to stay cool and keep your horse clean and all that?  Let me turn that off.  It’s more of a simulator than a game right now. 

Edit: I know I’m #####ing a lot - I’m sure some of that is just really high expectations and seeing 10/10 everywhere. It’s an amazing product, I’m just not sure it’s fun.

-

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you guys play the first one?  That was tedious too until you got campfires set up to fast travel.   I almost quit the first one  with all the riding that had to be done.  The Skyrim element they added I'm not thrilled about but overall it's pretty much what I was expecting :shrug: well once I got past chapter 1

Yeah it's almost like they forgot this was actually a video game and made it too realistic. Everything moves in slow motion. Painful so far. 

Love the game so far, but it seems kinda linear so far.  Does it become more open at some point?

Does anyone know how the “witness” system works? I understand that, on a basic level, if you commit a crime with a witness sitting there you can get flagged.

A more interesting aspect: dead bodies. I believe it is kinda like AC in that you have to hide them.

I was trying to talk to a lone traveler at a cross road last night. Ended up pulling a gun and things got ... messy. Suddenly I have a corpse to deal with. So initially I do what any responsible person would do: I take the guy’s stuff to prevent any bandit from being unjustly enriched. Then, I decide I probably should move the body off the road, proper burial and all. As I’m doing so, a group of 3 more travelers approach and I get the “witness” flag. Hmm. Guess I have to kill them too. This happens one more time. 3 more corpses.

Eventually, I ended up dumping all 7 bodies into a ravine. And, as an added bonus, I fell off and died disposing of the last one.

fun game!

Jtg - hit the pause menu.  Click help.  One of the options under there has the write-up of how the wanted system works.

Basically if the wanted level gets up you have to get out of the area until its gone.

If there is a witness you can try to intimidate them or shoot them before they report it. Not sure about the bodies.

I too had a run in. And now I'm wearing his hat with the bullet holes in that I caused lol 

Does anyone know how the “witness” system works? I understand that, on a basic level, if you commit a crime with a witness sitting there you can get flagged.

A more interesting aspect: dead bodies. I believe it is kinda like AC in that you have to hide them.

I was trying to talk to a lone traveler at a cross road last night. Ended up pulling a gun and things got ... messy. Suddenly I have a corpse to deal with. So initially I do what any responsible person would do: I take the guy’s stuff to prevent any bandit from being unjustly enriched. Then, I decide I probably should move the body off the road, proper burial and all. As I’m doing so, a group of 3 more travelers approach and I get the “witness” flag. Hmm. Guess I have to kill them too. This happens one more time. 3 more corpses.

Eventually, I ended up dumping all 7 bodies into a ravine. And, as an added bonus, I fell off and died disposing of the last one.

fun game!
You're a monster

Users who are viewing this thread