What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL Red Dead Redemption 2 Thread***aka AHRN'S MURDER HOBO ADVENTURE: HUNTS ELK AND PLAYS POKER (1 Viewer)

Final score, Arthur 4, Cam Newton 1.

Heard a panther growl and was able to just swing around left trigger aiming until it picked him up without him seeing me.  Head shot, game over.

Paused to set up some Halloween stuff.  But made like $70 on my trip (I hit Rhodes about 4 times to sell pelts/carcasses) and am returning home with perfect pelts for deer, a buck, a boar, a raccoon, 2 rabbits, and the panther.

Now just need to go back north of Strawberry and get an elk.  Will be a good time for me to do the next level of Hunter challenge where you have to kill 3 bears.  Which sucks since I spent last night in that area and killed about 5 bears. Ah well, need to go back for the perfect elk anyway.

I just let him fall.  I was hoping that would get the desired outcome without getting a negative karma point, but not saving him is equal to killing him. 
I shot that Mofo right off the cliff. F him for starting trouble like that. Mind your own business and you won't be dead 

played about 7-8 hours yesterday, time just fly's by.  First things first I need to unlock fast travel asap, looks like I'm at the point in the game where I can get to it.  Anyone know an easy way to get the cash to do so?

I'm basing my game off the man in black from westworld :bowtie: .
Rob a few train cars gets you some cash. Especially if you do it yourself. Also robbing stage coaches that are guarded can get you some cash. 

How do you get to the guy in blackwater? Every time I step foot in there 15 guys are after me. 
Are you trying to save them? If so Dutch and the Company are on a hill on the outskirts of town. I made the mistake myself going into town and had 20 guys after me. They are on one of the hills 

I still haven't noticed horse balls. Though my horse is a mare, so there's some real issues with the game if I do...

Are you trying to save them? If so Dutch and the Company are on a hill on the outskirts of town. I made the mistake myself going into town and had 20 guys after me. They are on one of the hills 
There is just the yellow initials there in chapter 2 so I cruised into town.  Whoops. 

There is just the yellow initials there in chapter 2 so I cruised into town.  Whoops. 
Yeah thats what I did by accident too not realizing. I found it while running from the Pinkertons. Once you get near the town it should change to a little yellow dot where to go. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried finding that buck and was disappointed when I received an onscreen message saying something to the effect that the area had too much action and to come back another time.

:unsure:
I have twice got this in Legendary Elk territory. Both times there was a random spawn human camp. I think that's the problem. One was two guys with a safe, another was the O'Driscolls.

If you find a hunter following a track... don't follow along behind him.  Without spoiling too much, when he found what he was tracking... it wouldn't let me aim, it would only give me dialogue options even though I had my gun out.  Which, didn't go well for me in the end.  :topcat:

So it does eventually go away? Good to know... That sure is a strange mechanic to implement.
IDK, I tried to sleep/camp it off the first time... thinking maybe it was something nocturnal.  I didn't know about the skinning bonus.  Then I heard about that and went back.  I'm 60ish% done if it matters.

Anyone else get a msg about not having enough inventory space every time you skin something, but are not sure what you're not getting or what to free up?
Skinning will give you some sort of meat based on the animal. They are normally at the top of the list.  Possibly fat.  Antlers or claws.  For birds, feathers of that bird type, and also flight feathers if a bird that flies.  You can find more exact lists online I'm sure.

Then just go through your inventory for things and note at the bottom how many you have and your limit.  I normally just sell/donate all meat, or cook it if my edible ones are getting low.  For the other stuff, if it doesn't mention crafting I just sell it.  If it mentions crafting I hang onto at least a couple so if I run into a need for it I have some.  Flight feathers I would hang onto since they are used to make better arrows, for example. 

Getting the materials satchel upgraded is the upgrade I most wanted though it was probably the third I managed to get.

Also, things like medicine, anything I'm full on I sell off one or two so if I find more I don't have to leave it behind.

Speaking of of satchel upgrades, the final upgrade once unlocked requires perfect pelts from cougar and wolf, as well as something more mundane (deer or buck, don't recall).

New thing I noticed last night. Hitting down on D-pad will tell you the temperature.  Which doesn't tell you if you need to change clothes, but noticing it was 40 degrees out would have clued me in before I happened to check Player stats and saw my cores were dropping at 692% the normal rate.

GregR said:
New thing I noticed last night. Hitting down on D-pad will tell you the temperature.  Which doesn't tell you if you need to change clothes, but noticing it was 40 degrees out would have clued me in before I happened to check Player stats and saw my cores were dropping at 692% the normal rate.
Also shows your honor level

For those who didn't bother trying them yet (like me until tonight)... Valerian when drank will advance you 1/4 of the way towards gaining the next level of Dead Eye core.  Aged Pirate Rum will, I assume, do the same for Stamina.  Though I already maxed stamina without having tried it, so... foo.

ETA: And Ginseng Elixier to up your Health level.

Geez, how far along are some of you in this game? I just finished installing it when I had to leave on a business trip, so I won't even be starting for a few more days. And since I like to check out EVERYTHING, I'm thinking this game is going to take a loooong time for me to finish.

Geez, how far along are some of you in this game? I just finished installing it when I had to leave on a business trip, so I won't even be starting for a few more days. And since I like to check out EVERYTHING, I'm thinking this game is going to take a loooong time for me to finish.
The campaign is like 60 something hours if you don't go through all the extra stuff and side missions. I'm at chapter 6 which is the last chapter then theres a prologue and epolouge. Give or take I've probably put in 30 hrs or so already into the game. 

Still in Chapter 2.  Still need a perfect cougar for the final satchel upgrade.  I just about had a pristine one in my sights, but as I moved to get a clear sight so I could aim at his head, a grizzly came sprinting in at him and chased the cougar off.  Another that I think was pristine, got shot full of holes by a guy on a horse before I could get anywhere near it. :(

How do you get perfect pelts? I need you to walk me through everything like Im a baby. I still haven't crafted a single thing.

How do you get perfect pelts? I need you to walk me through everything like Im a baby. I still haven't crafted a single thing.
Study the animals in your binoculars.  After you study an animal then it will show a quality of 1-3 stars next to the animal name.  For example '*** Pronghorn Buck'.  You only want 3 stars, and you need to kill it in one shot, preferably in the head.  There will be info about the animal after studying it, for a pronghorn buck it will say 'use a rifle for a clean kill'.  I believe you hit R1 to get the info.  Deadeye will help you see the critical spots to hit on the animals as well.  

So, short answer...  only kill *** animals, with the right type of weapon using one head shot. 

Also, I have read that anything Elk or smaller can also be lassoed and then killed with a knife for a clean kill.  (I haven't tried this yet.)

Edit:  You still won't always get perfect pelts from *** animals with head shots, it can be a pain.  

I'm still early and I finally get a pristine pelt and like an idiot I donate it to that idiot Pearson for "funds" instead of donate for "crafting". Make sure you select the right one for your pristine pelts. Also went through the first three treasure maps and got the two gold bars. Donated one for funds and updated a lot of the camp stuff with that money including the fast travel. 

I couldn't take it anymore.  The game sounds too good to pass up so I just purchased it online and set it to download while I'm at work.  I ran into an issue though, not enough disk space.  I think I have an extra external hard drive around the house somewhere though so hopefully I can find that and get it installed during lunch.  Would love to have the game up and running so I can play it tonight.

I'm still early and I finally get a pristine pelt and like an idiot I donate it to that idiot Pearson for "funds" instead of donate for "crafting". Make sure you select the right one for your pristine pelts. Also went through the first three treasure maps and got the two gold bars. Donated one for funds and updated a lot of the camp stuff with that money including the fast travel. 
You can use the Pearson ones for satchel upgrades after you buy the leather working kit from the ledger.  No loss. 

I couldn't take it anymore.  The game sounds too good to pass up so I just purchased it online and set it to download while I'm at work.  I ran into an issue though, not enough disk space.  I think I have an extra external hard drive around the house somewhere though so hopefully I can find that and get it installed during lunch.  Would love to have the game up and running so I can play it tonight.
I think space requirements are around 100gb for both XBone and PS4.  Some reports said as much as 150gb during install then only 100gb as 50gb or so are temp install files.  

I think space requirements are around 100gb for both XBone and PS4.  Some reports said as much as 150gb during install then only 100gb as 50gb or so are temp install files.  
I was worried about space but I tried it anyway.  I have an extra 2TB HDD at home somewhere so hopefully that will work.  I think it just needs to be reformatted.

Idiot #2 discovery I just found that I'm sure most of you already know is you can pay off your bounty at the post office. That's good to know as I was using the surrender mode with using most of my cash by buying things.

I think I deleted like 5 games off my XBone's hard drive to make enough space to install.

I've figured out what happened with all of the stellar reviews not really hammering the controls: This game is so good, and so addicting, that you somewhat forget about it.

Really, a lot of the things that annoyed me don't anymore. When I wander into town, I remember to not have a gun equipped. Things like "hold this while pressing that" are so infrequent that it's a non-issue. The pop-ups / hints are always there, so you don't have to remember everything. I want to take care of my horse and have the right clothes on for the situation. I even appreciate the slow pace more. Yes, looting and such take a lot of time, but it's more risk-reward - you can't magically loot an entire corpse while in a firefight.  

I haven't been this into a game since Skyrim. 

I've figured out what happened with all of the stellar reviews not really hammering the controls: This game is so good, and so addicting, that you somewhat forget about it.

Really, a lot of the things that annoyed me don't anymore. When I wander into town, I remember to not have a gun equipped. Things like "hold this while pressing that" are so infrequent that it's a non-issue. The pop-ups / hints are always there, so you don't have to remember everything. I want to take care of my horse and have the right clothes on for the situation. I even appreciate the slow pace more. Yes, looting and such take a lot of time, but it's more risk-reward - you can't magically loot an entire corpse while in a firefight.  

I think there was a bit of a learning curve too. Some of the more annoying things were annoying because we weren't used to having to do it that way.

Played for about 2 hours last night (I think).

Finished up the oil wagon heist with Marston. Pretty cool, but I missed a bunch of loot because I took too long. While fleeing, I ended up down near Rhodes. Pretty cool area. I am absolutely loving the huge and wildly diverse map.

Paid to upgrade my pistols. They look pretty sweet. Not sure how much better they will prove to be, however.

Rhodes spoiler akin to the Doc's office in Valentine.

There's an "illegal operation" being run by the gunsmith. I went in to break it up, couldn't figure out how to free the "sailor." Accidentally shot him when the proprietor finally freaked out on me. Once those two were dead, I ventured upstairs. LOOT!~@!~@~ I cleared out a ton of ammo before the authorities finally arrived. For those who haven't done it yet, I'd get upstairs as fast as you can (maybe hogtie both the guys?) and loot the #### out of the store. Curious how much you can take before the heat arrives.

Related to the spoiler, I think for every 2 people I've killed on purpose there is another I accidentally killed (or was forced to kill). Sometimes, I feel kinda bad.

I will agree with this.  Keep gun holstered in town.  Hell most of the time.  Take your time and enjoy yourself, but don't linger too long at crime scenes because even after missions witnesses come along, just like in real life.  

Study the animals in your binoculars.  After you study an animal then it will show a quality of 1-3 stars next to the animal name.  For example '*** Pronghorn Buck'.  You only want 3 stars, and you need to kill it in one shot, preferably in the head.  There will be info about the animal after studying it, for a pronghorn buck it will say 'use a rifle for a clean kill'.  I believe you hit R1 to get the info.  Deadeye will help you see the critical spots to hit on the animals as well.  

So, short answer...  only kill *** animals, with the right type of weapon using one head shot. 

Also, I have read that anything Elk or smaller can also be lassoed and then killed with a knife for a clean kill.  (I haven't tried this yet.)

Edit:  You still won't always get perfect pelts from *** animals with head shots, it can be a pain.  
Good list.  Lassoing definitely does work. Using Dead Eye while lassoing helps a lot too.  Try not to let your horse run into or over the creature though.  Once you complete the lasso, continue to hold Left Trigger and then move the left joystick towards them once you've dismounted.  Instead of a hogtie button you'll get a kill button once close to them.

I don't normally Dead Eye with a gun when going for pelts because the game will automatically target shots for you which can ruin the pelt.

The "Call" button will get them to lift their head for a moment which can help, though if you are slow aiming they may run off. 

Get the Varmint gun for little stuff and the Springfield rifle for big stuff.  And put a scope on both plus on your Repeater.  The scopes don't interfere with aiming with the iron sights.

If you use a bigger weapon or ammo than needed you may damage the pelt and ruin the perfect quality, but not always. I've gotten perfect pelts shooting rabbits with my big rifle, but it's more likely the quality drops. I think I may have messed up some cougars by using Express ammo instead of regular (which I keep chambered in case a grizzly surprises me). When I finally got my cougar perfect pelt, I'd just dropped my ammo type to regular.  (To change ammo, select the gun in the radial wheel and then left-right the D-pad.)

There are Small Game arrows that you can craft at the campfire to help with little critters.  The only reason to not use a gun though is so the gunshot doesn't cause everything else in the area to flee.  Even if it does, in a wilderness area you won't have problem finding more game using a gun.

Sometimes you may head shot something big like an elk and it still runs off, particularly if you didn't hit it from the side.  If so, chase it down, a lot of times it will collapse after running for a bit and you can walk up and get a button press to finish it off cleanly.  The map will show you dead and wounded animals (including the expanded radar you get from pressing D-pad down).

You can study animals through a gun scope, or if close enough just by eye.  You also don't have to use the Show Info, you can just aim a gun and see the stars by their name, or check their tracks with your super vision.

The satchel upgrades at Pearson are the only things to be crafted with a game mechanic bonus that I have seen (through Chapter 2) that require perfect pelts. Other things are aesthetic. So just jot down a list so you know what to donate to him there.  Some of his satchel upgrades you have to do other things to unlock first, then need the perfect pelts.  The Trapper guy that has a number of stalls out in the wilderness who you want to sell your Legendary Pelts to, also has aesthetic-only clothing that requires perfect pelts.

Pelts will stay good indefinitely on your horse and it seems like they can hold an unlimited number, exception being really large ones like elk or bear that take up the carcass spot on your horse. Carcasses will go bad after about a day or two. Sleeping is likely to spoil them.

As far as getting specific pelts, if you encounter an animal in a spot it frequently spawns, your main map will get marked with the animal.  Same with plants you find. For rare stuff like panthers and cougars, I had best results going to the area and wander briefly, listening for the animal's growl.  If I don't hear it after circling the area for a few minutes, camp and sleep to try to respawn the wildlife. I felt like maybe sleeping the max length gave me best results.  I had MUCH MUCH better results doing this with cougars than I did riding away long distances and coming back as I had tried with panthers.  (I got my panther kill first thing after a reboot actually.)

Also, if your horse is spooked, confirm it isn't a predator in the area. A lot of times it is a snake, but the horses seem to sense big predators at a good distance so can be a good early warning even if they aren't growling. I do a lot of swinging my gun around me, left triggering to auto-aim at anything nearby, plus looking with super vision.  Adjusting the setting for auto lock-on to Wide when on horseback can help there.  Though be careful, it will target humans at a wider distance too then.

I think the Cover Scent stuff is probably worth it so you can get closer without startling an animal.  The Bait seems to me to only work on already spawned animals in the area. I tried a bunch of Predator bait after having searched the panther area already, and the only thing I got were wild boar that I'd already spotted.  But if you hear the animal you're after, you could try baiting then and see if it helps. I didn't get around to trying that.

Also don't forget those animal maps I posted:

Got my cougar last night and got the Legendary Satchel upgrade.  Holy ####!  :eek:   It was WAAAAAY better than I was expecting.   :excited:

Have today off, now back to doing the main missions!

Finished up the oil wagon heist with Marston. Pretty cool, but I missed a bunch of loot because I took too long. While fleeing, I ended up down near Rhodes. Pretty cool area. I am absolutely loving the huge and wildly diverse map.
I love Rhodes.   I got a lot of my required perfect pelts in two main areas.  Everywhere west and south of Rhodes, and then the big valley northwest of Strawberry.   Rhodes is great, has a butcher to sell carcasses plus the gunsmith for stocking up on ammo. And the big valley has the trapper guy so I'd take down other 3-star stuff and sell to him before camping to respawn animals.  And the cougar, panther and iguana are all close to either Rhodes or the valley.

Oh, one other comment I keep forgetting to make.

I REALLY wish they had a button for cycling through the targets with auto lock-on, like GTA had.  It would be so helpful when hunting.  If there's one animal close and a couple others near to it that are behind it, you pretty much have to manually aim at the other animals to check their star rating. Cycling through them GTA-style would be helpful. Not to mention when the pack of 6 wolves jumped me last night.  God bless the pump action shotgun.

Users who are viewing this thread