What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL Red Dead Redemption 2 Thread***aka AHRN'S MURDER HOBO ADVENTURE: HUNTS ELK AND PLAYS POKER (2 Viewers)

DJackson10 said:
Just so you know Cinema mode makes the game longer it doesn't shorten anything. 
Sure it does.   Timewise maybe not but if you set your waypoint - get on a trail - gallop then hit cinema mode you literally don't have to do anything but sit there and watch.

It might not "save" time but it feels like it does since I'm not really doing anything but watching :shrug:

I feel like thos long trips go fast when I put down the controller and watch :shrug:

Small complaint: the dog barking is apparently too real for my two pups. I’m walking around an ODriscoll side business looking for a way in and a dog starts barking. My two wake up and start barking.  

?

I had to turn the game off. 

Also I’m keeping a running note of things I want to come back to such as something I overheard between the Valentine sheriff and a woman talk about.  Is that necessary or do these things pop up in a game log somewhere?

Sure it does.   Timewise maybe not but if you set your waypoint - get on a trail - gallop then hit cinema mode you literally don't have to do anything but sit there and watch.

It might not "save" time but it feels like it does since I'm not really doing anything but watching :shrug:

I feel like thos long trips go fast when I put down the controller and watch :shrug:
I like it because it gives me time to check my phone for messages, maybe check Facebook.  Next thing I know I'm right where I want to be.  It's a great feature.

Can someone explain DeadEye exactly.

So I  press R3 to get into Dead Eye-  I move the  crosshair over the target and hit RB - it puts little Red X's on the guys.

Do I then hit RT or do I exit out of dead eye before pressing trigger?
RT, don't exit out

Last edited by a moderator:
Also (sorry for stupid questions -- I'm like 25% complete but I still have no idea wtf I am doing really).

Assume I'm holding a bunch of loot -- animal parts/skins, money, stolen watches and jewelry and the like.   What happens when:

1.  I die

2.  I get arrested

It seems like I get varying results there with whatever was on me/in my horse's cargo (important sub-point -- the Horses name is "Ol' Gluey") at the time.

Can anyone explain this process on XB1?
It depends on what level of Dead Eye you are.   I'm assuming you are on at least level 2.

LT - to aim

Hold R stick (R3)  (not sure if you have to hold it or just press it)

Move crosshair over targets.  Click RB to mark target

Press RT to fire.

If you are doing it on just one target no need to press RB to mark them

Also (sorry for stupid questions -- I'm like 25% complete but I still have no idea wtf I am doing really).

Assume I'm holding a bunch of loot -- animal parts/skins, money, stolen watches and jewelry and the like.   What happens when:

1.  I die

2.  I get arrested

It seems like I get varying results there with whatever was on me/in my horse's cargo (important sub-point -- the Horses name is "Ol' Gluey") at the time.
It varies. You lose some money.  Possibly skins.  My skins were not at the trapper but they weren't legendary.

If you have bounties and get arrested they will take your money.  If you don't have enought they take some money and you stay in jail

It depends on what level of Dead Eye you are.   I'm assuming you are on at least level 2.

LT - to aim

Hold R stick (R3)  (not sure if you have to hold it or just press it)

Move crosshair over targets.  Click RB to mark target

Press RT to fire.

If you are doing it on just one target no need to press RB to mark them
I think the manual targeting may not unlock until the train robbery with the oil wagon, too. I was max level in Deadeye but it didn't seem to work until that mission gave me a pop up about it.

Woah! I just entered some isolated home in the forest and looks like a small meteorite blasted the entire house apart, including 3 or 4 people eating at a table in it. Random body parts strewn all around with a smoking hole in the center.

Do they just look cool or do they have stat boosts? I left all of them on the ground lol. Didn't wanna give up my newly acquired Volcanic Pistol.
You never lose guns when you "drop" them to exchange for a new one. The full collection is always available at your horse. Not sure about stat boosts, they look cool and are of a type I haven't unlocked yet though. Damn you just left those sweet unique guns laying there! Haha

Also, if you haven't make sure you buy an offhand holster from a Trapper as soon as you can so you can carry and dual-wield two sidearms at once.

You never lose guns when you "drop" them to exchange for a new one. The full collection is always available at your horse. Not sure about stat boosts, they look cool and are of a type I haven't unlocked yet though. Damn you just left those sweet unique guns laying there! Haha

Also, if you haven't make sure you buy an offhand holster from a Trapper as soon as you can so you can carry and dual-wield two sidearms at once.
? Shoot.

I did not know this DAMN IT :lol:

I'm more of a high velocity rifle guy anyway

ConnSKINS26 said:

I had no idea.   Glad I'm staying sort of current with this thread.  

Free time to play is unfortunately dwindling. 

Another controls moment from a few days back though.  I previously mentioned choking out an elderly woman instead of mounting my horse.  This time I exited the St Denis grocer and go to mount my horse.  No one around me. Instead, Arthur veers 90 degrees right, sprints about 20 feet and spears the butcher who was just leaving his stall for the night.  It was a beautiful tackle. WWE should license Arthur for their next pay per view.  Though the St Denis police were more critical of it.

Finally got my 4th cougar perfect pelt so finished off every camp upgrade. I hadn't realized that predator and herbivore bait only draw average critters. The upgraded ones draw only pristine ones. Though they have to be in the area already.  I think to try to get something like a cougar, it's probably only useful if you spot him first and then set up an ambush. Though if I could spot them first I'd just shoot them then and there. Normally if I spot them in the distance it's because they are chasing something at full speed.

Also picked up an extra panther perfect pelt while I was in the area that panthers spawn. Anything perfect I get now I'm selling to the Trapper to unlock all of his clothing. I might try to buy all clothing just as a money sink as there isn't anything to spend it on where I'm at in game right now.  Though he needs a bunch more cougar pelts which I don't think i have the patience to do.

Got into taming new horses. (Edit: You need to be pulling down on the left joystick the entire time while breaking the horse... shift it left or right to counter his movement, but always be pulling it down or you get bucked.) Have mostly thoroughbreds I broke in the stables now, plus a white Arabian I'm riding. Anyone know of a way to add a saddle to a tamed secondary horse?  I don't mean make him a primary, I want to keep riding Silver and have the second horse available as a pack animal. If you tame one to get him as your secondary, he doesn't have a saddle and so you can't hang a smaller animal on each side, can only do a big carcass across his back.  ETA: Also can't access your clothing/etc, which you can on a saddled secondary horse.

One thoroughbred I broke was the dumbest animal I've ever seen. He frequently wouldn't go where I steered him that would avoid collisions. The best was rather than divert left to go down a slope, he tries to jump something, hits a rock jutting up beyond it, and we end up doing a full 180 degree forward flip before we land upside down. End up selling him, and he was worth like $19.  I wonder if Bond level ups the price, as well as horse breed.  I had him at 4 as I'd rode him a lot. Silver had a spectacular crash too. I tried to steer her around the railing of a narrow bridge to start crossing it.  Instead she jumps the railing, comes down on the second railing and pitches over it, face first into a tree. This was down in swamp country and we landed in the thickest patch of mud you could imagine. She looked more black than white when she stood back up. 

I love (hate) the tribe that look like they are out of Deliverance. Their ambushes are tricksy. After falling for a pit trap, I never fight them head on now. I always retreat and lure them to me, or else circle around from the side so I'm not fighting on the spot they chose. If they ever defend their flanks with traps I'm going to be truly impressed.

I know I'm to the mission that ends chapter 2. Trying to knock out a few more challenges first in case I lose access to anywhere.  Just wish I had more time to play.

Sorry for all the multiquotes, I am just catching up to this thread after having the game since it released (and acutally catching up to the FFA forum, where I've been absent for a long time, mostly spending my time in the Pool these days).

Loved RDR, so had this game on preorder for a full 2 years. Psyched when it came out, and will give some of my impressions and thoughts by playing off of some of the great thoughts others have already laid down here. And apologies for the wall of text but I have a lot to say and catch up on here.

Lenny!?!?!
One of the best missions for any game I've played, ever. Hilarious. !?!?!ynneL 

There's a mission w/ John Marston that starts in Valentine near the pig/sheep pens.  Wish I had known last night but that mission shuts off Valentine and prompts the end of Chapter 2.  I'm sure Valentine and other places nearby will be available at some point down the road but they are closed for a while after that mission.  

The one that starts with John Marston in the livestock area of Valentine.  Wish I had known this a few days ago.  Oh well.  
Which specific mission is this? Is this the one that involves stealing an oil carriage from either the oil fields or by Valentine? Or another mission (do you know the name)? Reason being is that I am approaching slow-playing this game, remaining in CH2 as I level up health/stamina/dead eye, explore the areas that are unlocked more fully, get a handle on hunting, and starting to amass wealth and pelts so I can get the requisite guns and crafting items without having to rely on the gold bar glitch. 

I know that in  this chapter, I am getting a ton of companion and side missions (such as

the Errand Boy quests of finding a pen for Mary Beth,  a compass for Pearson, a book for Hosea, etc., as well as some homestead robbery tips, etc.
and it would suck if those missions became unavailable when you move from CH2 to CH3.

Still in Chapter 2.  Still need a perfect cougar for the final satchel upgrade.  I just about had a pristine one in my sights, but as I moved to get a clear sight so I could aim at his head, a grizzly came sprinting in at him and chased the cougar off.  Another that I think was pristine, got shot full of holes by a guy on a horse before I could get anywhere near it. :(

Legend of the East satchel is now done, and I'm only early in Chapter 3.  I've also got myself a Black Arabian.  Now I need to do less hunting/exploring and more story missions.
This is my approach as well -- staying in CH2 and being scrappy, getting enough to get some of the early satchels to help increase carrying capacity and work towards Legends of the East (though I think some elements you might not be able to do until CH3), the Buck Antler talisman to boost pelt quality, and some of the crucial weapons needed for hunting. 

Which leads to some overall thoughts on the game. Many have said the beginning was super slow, engaging in camp activities feels like moving through molasses, etc. Totally agree with this, but I actually don't mind and I think it's purposeful to get you to slow down and play in an immersive style that the game was intended to be. This is a game where washing, grooming, eating (you and your horse) matters. Where taking the time to fill out the compendium helps later in the game narrow down what you are hunting/gathering towards these achievements/special gear and outfits. Where you need to look around in absence of clues of where special items, locations of interest, hidden stashes, treasure maps, cigarette cards and other collectibles, even unlocking new guns by picking them up from fallen foes -- all of it counts. And because the scenery is truly gorgeous, it's well worth slowing down to enjoy every second. 

This may be hard for others who haven't played previous RD games, or less-immersive sandbox-type open world games, but it's the entire point of shy Rockstar spent so long developing the game -- all the details, the immersion, the things that change and adapt based on actions and encounters in the game over time (a good example is 

the quest with the house the father and his sons are building and the lumber you need to get -- the house becomes more and more built over time 

The result of this is it does make for hard play early on, as the prologue and CH1 were truly snails pace slow, but I LOVE what I am getting out of slow playing the early game in CH2. Learning the land and routes to one day be able to free roam without the HUD (and maybe take advantage of the online app instead). To talk to fellow camp mates to understand them and their motivations -- and also learning about Arthur as well -- this is one of the most developed characters I've played in my limited exposure to gaming overall. Arthur is complex, and I've learned a lot from his mindset in his talks with other camp members, reading journal entries, etc. Fascinating peek into his development.

Which also gets me to this comment:

Minor complaint: a lot of the random encounters are triggered when you are too far away and the timer is too quick. I’ve had a bunch where the “intervene” option is only there for a split second, or not there at all. Every now and then, I like to rescue the damsel in distress instead of looting her corpse.
Totally agree. On one hand, these things happen quickly, and often the white stranger dot flashes and disappears, forcing you to find these events instead of leading you right to them too easily -- which sometimes results in missing the action. I do hope that for those that I've missed, they crop up again sometime later. I've had that happen once with the dude 

who you needed to help suck the rattler venom out of his leg
-- was too busy running from outlaws and bummed I missed talking to him, but he showed up again later. I don't know if that's the same for every stranger encounter, or for just some of them, and which "class" of encounter. 

It would help to  have a greater idea of which side missions/encounters last or reappear. In general, it seems like main missions demarcated in yellow stay, those in white can often disappear, but don't know if these white ones reappear, which you may lose forever or which may pop up again. That would be great knowledge just so I don't miss any fantastic content the game has to offer.

More controller fun.

I walk out of the St Denis gunsmith, my horse waiting right there for me on the curb. I hit Y to mount him, and Arthur grabs a woman to the right who wasn't even on-screen, and begins choking her. I can't find a button to let her go and end up punching her which breaks the grapple.  I turn back to face my horse and hit Y, and Arthur spins back to the right and begins choking this nice Chinese man who came to assist the woman. So I beat his face too and then hop on my horse and flee to a hail of gunfire.

So Arthur, on his own in the last two days, has physically assaulted his horse, an old woman, and a good Samaritan Asian.  I hear muttering at the camp.  I think maybe they are planning an intervention for him.
So true what you and others have said about gameplay -- it's a legitimate gripe in that it is so easy to mistakenly punch a horse or put a shotgun slug through someone's pate when you just meant to say hi. Simply having to use the same button to both aim and say hi seems like an accident waiting to happen. There are a few arduous gameplay issues like constantly having to reset your load outs when you dismount that are frustrating and could be way more fluid.

Which gets me to this point:

I've been able to placate my inner sociopath a bunch without having to sacrifice honor level. There are just so many opportunities it's not hard to balance it out. I don't think it has any impact on the actual story like it can in other games, just random stuff like how you are treated in towns, shop discounts, etc. 
I wonder how much of that mechanic (aiming with same button as greeting/looking) is conscious to create some tension and cause a player to really think deliberately what they are doing, whether to diffuse a situation or open fire. The honor system here seems really rigged in that it's so super easy to lose honor and so hard to build and retain it. This has to be purposeful -- part of the story here is the changing way of the West, from a lawless frontier to more civilized, with the age of the outlaw coming to a close. You hear characters including Arthur lament this, ponder what it means and what the future will hold.

So part of it, I believe, is that R* made a conscious decision to have you completely choose how you play, but in general wants you put Arthur on the "white" side of the line while making it very hard to do so -- it is patently absurd how easy it is to get a bounty simply from looking at someone wrong, let alone accidentally bumping someone, putting you in positions where you will need to fight and lose honor, even the ridiculous notion that if you see someone being kidnapped and you save them, you can get a bounty yourself just by trying to be good. All of this stays within the thematic structure of the overall arc -- it's much harder to be good than trigger happy, and you need to work at it. Hopefully the payoff is worth it.

That said, so super cool you can play black or white hat or a shade of grey in between. I think I'm gonna continue my first playthrough trying to max out honor as I sense it's important for the end game, but have a second run-through after I'm done the first time where I am all about mayhem and murder.

I came across a body of a guy who had been lynched, and I stopped to take a look. Three guys then emerged from the woods and pulled me off my horse.  I put a double-barrel round in one, but then another stabbed me (!) which was a OHK apparently.  Pretty cool encounter overall, and I wish I had been better prepared mentally.

I think I'm still in Chapter 2.  I talked with John about the train robbery and went on my fishing trip, but noting of note otherwise.
I think this happened to you in the bayou, right? Happened to me and it was another moment for me of being genuinely creeped out by the game. So well done. And there are so many more moments like this in the game. Brilliantly done.

Poker is fun, but do the buy-ins increase in bigger towns at least? Playing for $2.50 feels like a waste of time. 
One of my biggest gripes is the minigames -- poker is always ridiculously low stakes, dominoes has to be the most boring game of all time, and I never liked 5-finger fillet from RDR1. 

I badly miss Liar's Dice, it was a mini game I truly enjoyed and could spend na hour just doing that. I hope they add it back at some point as I hate the minigames offered now.

ConnSKINS26 said:

Another gripe of mine -- you need to have the ability to sell someof the spare guns or lower class weapons you have after upgrading (e.g. be able to sell a worn cattleman's revolver you picked up off a fallen O'Driscoll, get rid of your own when you unlock the Mauser, etc.). It's a piece of the game -- scrolling through all the weapons to get your chosen loadout instead of being able to shed excess or leave extra weapons behind at camp) that is truly tedious.

What mission ends Chapter 2?

There's a mission w/ John Marston that starts in Valentine near the pig/sheep pens.  Wish I had known last night but that mission shuts off Valentine and prompts the end of Chapter 2.  I'm sure Valentine and other places nearby will be available at some point down the road but they are closed for a while after that mission.  

The one that starts with John Marston in the livestock area of Valentine.  Wish I had known this a few days ago.  Oh well.  
That one mentioned above.

it's not the "lets rob a train and we need an oil wagon to do it".

It's a mission after that, where you have to go to Valentine to start the mission, where he's over west of the train station waiting for you during the day, and in a saloon at night.  Or, I think that's it anyway, from what I've heard.

Oh, while I think of it... if you max out premium cigarettes, either start smoking them or drop them so you have inventory room.  When you pick up new packs you get the cigarette cards. I've been having to leave them lie because I was maxed, didn't know I was missing out on cards doing it. 

Oh, while I think of it... if you max out premium cigarettes, either start smoking them or drop them so you have inventory room.  When you pick up new packs you get the cigarette cards. I've been having to leave them lie because I was maxed, didn't know I was missing out on cards doing it. 
Thanks for this. I’ve only been smoking cigars

s*** I knew this and was doing it and then forgot and there's been a few times I didn't pick them up

So I had to go steal the oil wagon for the Marston mission, dicked around doing some stuff then the mission came off my screen? Marston than said he did it himself. 

What the hell? Why would I want the game to complete missions for me? Does this happen frequently? Do I need to do things as they appear?

So I had to go steal the oil wagon for the Marston mission, dicked around doing some stuff then the mission came off my screen? Marston than said he did it himself. 

What the hell? Why would I want the game to complete missions for me? Does this happen frequently? Do I need to do things as they appear?
No but it sounds like you abandon a mission in the middle of it

Quick tip / exploit for when you're hunting cougars or other rare spawns.  When a cougar spawns at a particular time in a particular place, it will always spawn at that time and that place, even if you reload your save.  But its pelt quality will get re-rolled each time.  So save frequently when you're hunting.  I got lucky and saved about 60 seconds before I stumbled upon a ** cougar.  When I reloaded and walked back to the same area, it was there again, but this time with a * pelt.  After about half a dozen reloads, the game spawned a *** cougar which I needed for the final satchel.  This exploit probably saved me over an hour at least of honest cougar hunting just to get a perfect pelt.

Edit: Hunting is fun except when the game won't spawn the animal you need with the right pelt.  I don't feel bad about using this trick given the time that I've poured into legitimate hunting.  I wish I had known about this when I was trying to find a *** badger.

This is the crap that scares me most -- so much to do and see and no visibility into which missions you need to do now before they are gone forever. No indication whatsoever of what to do when, but clearly there are consequences for not getting to some things.

If I only knew, say, that "companion quests" need to be done before they are gone, or that stranger quests disappear if you don't get to them but they will resurface later, etc. -- that would be so useful to help prioritize my game play and ensure I am enjoying all the content this game has to offer.

I know I’m in the minority but I kinda find most of the missions clumsy and I :rolleyes:  at the over the top acting. They are actually a hinderance to me as enjoy the random encounters and exploring more. I really only do them to unlock more content. 

BTW, avoid YouTube at all costs for info on the game. Things get spoiled really, really quickly.

Reddit is a little better, given the better tagging, but still not completely immune to stumbling across key story line spoilers.

There was a really key part of the end game that was spoiled for me simply by scrolling through Reddit's subthread that I really wish was left a surprise.

I'm just guessing but it sounds like he started a main mission but never continued all the steps :shrug:
I did start it, got popped by the gang blocking the pathway, lost 28 bucks because of it ( ?) so I went back to camp to unload my money at the tent and the mission was gone. 

As far as hunting for the satchel upgrades... cougar and panther are the two tough ones to get.  I wouldn't spend as much time worrying about racoon, badger, etc, as you'll just run across lots of 3-stars of those in the time it takes to get the rare ones.

Just always check what things are that run across the trail.  Go to super vision quick and check their path, if it's 3 star, blast them.  The little things that take a varmint rifle I don't think you need to hit the head. I just auto-aim and shoot and always get a clean kill that doesn't reduce the pelt value.  (Though, I do have the one tricket that helps pelt quality, not sure if that made a difference.)

My rating for this game will end up being an 8/10. Maybe because I only play 1-2 hours a night, I find quite a few "annoyances" about the game. Sometimes it feels like a chore to play. Sometimes in the one to two hours I play I accomplish nothing. Here are my complaints:

1. Technically no true fast travel. Getting anywhere takes forever

2. There's not a lot to do in this game besides the one mission available at a time and hunting. I dont remember the last game being like this.

3. You guys seem to love hunting. I want to like it but it is way too tedious. It takes forever to track animals before they run away, then you have to shoot them perfectly all while your dead shot runs low, then you skin their perfect pelt and have to bring it ALL THE WAY BACK TO CAMP before it degrades and there is no fast travel. Speaking of this how many skins can you stow on your horse and how long does it take to degrade?

4. The only point of hunting is to upgrade your satchel and cosmetic items? Really that's it? Whats the point? I think I may end up just skipping hunting.

5. Controls are still wonky

6. Menu items are hard to find. Is that in my satchel? Is that on my horse? Is that in my item wheel?

7. Its very confusing. I still have no idea what the core system means and my dead shot runs out way too quick.

8. Treasure maps, baseball cards, dinosaur bones... All sound cool but lets be real here, the only way you can find them is with a guide.

9.Crafting every item at a camp fire is ridiculously slow. Craft one bullet at a time? Press x to cook? Really?

I think Im at the point (just started chapter 3) where I may just skip hunting and play all the missions and side missions.

My rating for this game will end up being an 8/10. Maybe because I only play 1-2 hours a night, I find quite a few "annoyances" about the game. Sometimes it feels like a chore to play. Sometimes in the one to two hours I play I accomplish nothing. Here are my complaints:

1. Technically no true fast travel. Getting anywhere takes forever

2. There's not a lot to do in this game besides the one mission available at a time and hunting. I dont remember the last game being like this.

3. You guys seem to love hunting. I want to like it but it is way too tedious. It takes forever to track animals before they run away, then you have to shoot them perfectly all while your dead shot runs low, then you skin their perfect pelt and have to bring it ALL THE WAY BACK TO CAMP before it degrades and there is no fast travel. Speaking of this how many skins can you stow on your horse and how long does it take to degrade?

4. The only point of hunting is to upgrade your satchel and cosmetic items? Really that's it? Whats the point? I think I may end up just skipping hunting.

5. Controls are still wonky

6. Menu items are hard to find. Is that in my satchel? Is that on my horse? Is that in my item wheel?

7. Its very confusing. I still have no idea what the core system means and my dead shot runs out way too quick.

8. Treasure maps, baseball cards, dinosaur bones... All sound cool but lets be real here, the only way you can find them is with a guide.

9.Crafting every item at a camp fire is ridiculously slow. Craft one bullet at a time? Press x to cook? Really?

I think Im at the point (just started chapter 3) where I may just skip hunting and play all the missions and side missions.
shady - Some of these aren't right. I won't address the ones that are your feelings but 

1) You need to unlock fast travel.  I use it sparingly.     But you can also take trains etc if you really wanted until its unlocked

2) I have multiple missions unlocked at once.  Some are the side missions.  Sometimes there is only one main mission but usually there are 2 or 3 mains.  I'm not sure why you say their is only 1 mission.

If my bounty is $10 and I'm holding $20 and I get arrested -- when I get out of jail I still have $10?  or I have $0?
so walking around St Denis last night (or whatever its called) - I put my mask on.

People start yelling at me. Finally a cop shows up and pulls out his gun and I'm surrounded by 4 cops.  All for wearing my mask :lol:

$5 bounty :lmao:     - went to jail with aournd $1K.  THey only took the 5.  I think.    I still had 990 is left

shady - Some of these aren't right. I won't address the ones that are your feelings but 

1) You need to unlock fast travel.  I use it sparingly.     But you can also take trains etc if you really wanted until its unlocked

2) I have multiple missions unlocked at once.  Some are the side missions.  Sometimes there is only one main mission but usually there are 2 or 3 mains.  I'm not sure why you say their is only 1 mission.
I get what he’s saying on #1. I think it has more to do with me just not being a fan of open world games anymore though.  You just spend so much time not playing the game but instead getting to the game parts. 

I still enjoy it overall but man do they have a bunch of filler. It’s like they were a few months out from shipping and someone said, “hey Steve, add 100 of something all over the map so people won’t complain about having enough to do.”

Users who are viewing this thread