What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL Red Dead Redemption 2 Thread***aka AHRN'S MURDER HOBO ADVENTURE: HUNTS ELK AND PLAYS POKER (1 Viewer)

What the heck am I doing wrong during the fishing from the boat part? I can never reel them and this has been going on forever. How do I end it?
Like which one?  I think it’s just pull and hold the left trigger, cast it out. When your controller rumbles you press the right trigger I think. When the fish is fighting, move your left joystick left to right to wear it down, the circle the right joystick to reel it in. Rinse and repeat. 

The one on the boat with Dutch and the other dude. I have no clue why it's not working. The fish never gets reeled in. I pull up on the rod, let go and reel in. Nothing happens.
I don’t know then. I think you can just end the fishing part at any point, maybe it’s glitched. 

The one on the boat with Dutch and the other dude. I have no clue why it's not working. The fish never gets reeled in. I pull up on the rod, let go and reel in. Nothing happens.
 Spam the left stick down repeatedly while you rotate the right stick clockwise. 

Replaying it and now the bad things are driving me nuts. The constant having to redo the loadout, the getting killed by stupid horses, the idiot horse running into giant rocks, the aiming that don't really work, the enormous ego and idiocy of Dutch. Made it well into chapter 2 but just can't make myself do the stupid Mary mission and infecting myself. 

Not sure this really is that great a game if replay is only going to annoy you more.

Replaying it and now the bad things are driving me nuts. The constant having to redo the loadout, the getting killed by stupid horses, the idiot horse running into giant rocks, the aiming that don't really work, the enormous ego and idiocy of Dutch. Made it well into chapter 2 but just can't make myself do the stupid Mary mission and infecting myself. 

Not sure this really is that great a game if replay is only going to annoy you more.
Wtf? You are replaying it? I'll never touch this game again. 

Gosh, I suck at this game. So I am way early on in it, but the townspeople hate me. I walk up to them to talk and they get mad and some end up starting a fight with me. I guess I am thinking this would be like a Skyrim/Fallout where you walk up and talk to anyone, but nope, some people have nothing to say. The worst part is sometimes I accidentally draw my weapon. I stink at the whole "weapon wheel" process. 

Now I have a bounty on me. I was doing the mission where you have the one guy that your gang had tied up in camp leading you to where his gang is. I get there and I am supposed to throw the knives and be all quiet like. Nope---went in with the shotgun and killed everyone. So they tell me  to check the cabin for money. and loot,  I do and for some reason I took an elixir from a box inside the cabin that made me wanted. So now the law is basically riding over all the dead bodies we racked up, but NOOOOOO....I took a bottle and that makes me a bad guy.  So I ride away and maybe I ended up killing a few of sheriffs and got in a big brawl and possibly beat a guy to death, , I don't know,, but I died and now everyone hates me.

I am going to (try) and kill a legendary bear. I bet it won't end well.  

Gosh, I suck at this game. So I am way early on in it, but the townspeople hate me. I walk up to them to talk and they get mad and some end up starting a fight with me. I guess I am thinking this would be like a Skyrim/Fallout where you walk up and talk to anyone, but nope, some people have nothing to say. The worst part is sometimes I accidentally draw my weapon. I stink at the whole "weapon wheel" process. 

Now I have a bounty on me. I was doing the mission where you have the one guy that your gang had tied up in camp leading you to where his gang is. I get there and I am supposed to throw the knives and be all quiet like. Nope---went in with the shotgun and killed everyone. So they tell me  to check the cabin for money. and loot,  I do and for some reason I took an elixir from a box inside the cabin that made me wanted. So now the law is basically riding over all the dead bodies we racked up, but NOOOOOO....I took a bottle and that makes me a bad guy.  So I ride away and maybe I ended up killing a few of sheriffs and got in a big brawl and possibly beat a guy to death, , I don't know,, but I died and now everyone hates me.

Sounds like someone could use a bath.  Seriously, grab a bath the next time in town and folks should treat us a bit nicer.  

One of the best moments for me, a random guy in the wilderness at his camp told me I smelled like ### and needed a bath. 

After I stopped laughing, I blew his head off and then decided to end my hunting trip and get a bath. Deluxe bath of course. 

Finally finished. Kind of sad knowing how it all plays out. 

Great, amazing game but epilogue I was one of the biggest waste of times in my life. 

Don't Noonan said:
So I just started this game and did story mode.  Is that what you guys are playing?
Yes. 

Some that have completed the game may be playing online now. Not sure. 

I still haven't finished the epilogue. Been off the PS4 for almost a week. Just needed a break I guess. 

few things I've seen in the past few days....one pretty cool, one satisfying, one hilarious

That NPR piece is very well done.  I hadn't considered the uniqueness of the RDR2 story in video games, but the author is exactly right.  

Game is still blowing me away.

Still slow-playing CH3, and thought I'd mosey into an area of the map I haven't yet fully unlocked -- the area around Roanoake and Annesburg -- as I heard there were cougars there and wanted to see if I could complete all the satchels early in the game to make campaigning and hauling all that stuff around much easier without having to return to camp to donate/store to sell.

Holy hell that's an extraordinary part of the map, with so many cool things happening left and right as I simply wandered around. In just an hour or two, I managed to:

• Find a house obliterated by meteors
  • Find a gigantic crater in which another meteor rested -- allegedly there are 3 altogether? Has anyone found the 3rd?
  • Unlock a legendary animal ground (Moose)
  • Unlock a legendary fish (trout)
  • Found the Viking helmet, hatchet, and comb
  • Kill a perfect Elk for the Kit satchel
  • Unlock the Murfree brood -- first warning me not to camp on their turf, then invading my camp
  • Peek into Butcher's Creek -- there seemed to be a woman screaming for help, and saw a horse go by, but got distracted and quickly lost the encounter -- hope it returns!
  • Had a weird encounter coming across two dead guys on a stagecoach, with another guy apparently robbing them -- it triggered dialogue that had Arthur warn the guy about getting caught, and when I tried to loot the bodies no honor lost, but I feel there was something about this encounter I may have missed, as the two corpses are still marked on my map
  • Found my first rock carving! Finally!
  • Found a bunch of cool things exploring near Elysian Pool, like a loxbox with two coin cups, a chimney with some jewlery and a gold nugget, and a huge cave system behind the waterfall that I didn't fully explore as it may be part of a mission or something and wanted to get back to hunting
  • Found the four "trail trees" -- do these lead to anything besides each other?
  • Found an abandoned trading post and Doverhill, which I have no idea what that is (couldn't get into the house, looks like a gigantic Van Der Graaf machine behind the house)
This game is chock full of surprises and I am sure there is a lot more to discover just in this NW area of the map. Just amazing that a game I've played for months still has so much content waiting for you at every turn.

And to top it all off, as I was heading back south towards camp and Lemoyne (off to hunt panthers for that Kit Satchel!), guess what suddenly leapt at me? A cougar. Scared my horse, who threw me, and luckily I was holding my Springfield so just entered dead-eye and plugged him between the brows -- perfect pelt!

Love this game. Still.

I did a lot of wandering around and exploring, but now I'm just sticking to the story missions and trying to get through it.  I may do some of the other stuff later.   As I play, I'm getting more callous with the way I kill people.   Lots of people getting burned alive now.

This game was a slog. Enjoying Assassins Creed Odyessy so much more. Action. Fast travel. Looting actually means something. Rpg elements. Doesn't feel like a chore playing. What a concept. 

Miss playing it
Did you do the epilogue stuff yet?  I still can’t bring myself to go through it. I have spent some time looking st YouTube videos of stuff you may have missed or interesting side missions you can miss.  There’s all kinds of neat things they included that I never saw - for instance getting invited to eat a meal with the Brother / Sister incest couple. 

Did you do the epilogue stuff yet?  I still can’t bring myself to go through it. I have spent some time looking st YouTube videos of stuff you may have missed or interesting side missions you can miss.  There’s all kinds of neat things they included that I never saw - for instance getting invited to eat a meal with the Brother / Sister incest couple. 
I finished it. It picks up in the second one. The first epilogue sucks. 

The incest couple was my favorite side mission. 

WTF. My horse got knocked down and I revived it. It was mission where I take a wagon back to its owner and then I tried whistling and it says my horse is dead. I wasn't near a stable, so I just shut the game off. :angry:  
I guess I just got lucky because I never once had my horse die. I ran that ####### into all kinds of mountains and trees and he always just got up. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished Chapter 4 and got through the beginning of Chapter 5.   The story has become annoying.   I'd rather just do side missions.

I just finished Chapter 4 and got through the beginning of Chapter 5.   The story has become annoying.   I'd rather just do side missions.
The story doesn’t do much honestly. That was probably my biggest letdown in the entire game - everything was pretty well spelled out from the start without many twists or turns. 

Similar to a post a bit ago, its insane that amount of "stuff" out in the open.  I love to just roam, so I have been using the RDR2 Interactive map.  I have finished the Legendary fish and animals (except the panther as I still need to unlock it and don't care for hunting), the dream catchers, rock formations, dinosaur bones and visited all of the graves.  I have spent a few days roaming to get the cigarette cards.  These have lead to some amazing encounters and shoot out (one led to placing the entire town of Annesburg on lock down and a $445 bounty).  I need around 10 more cards to finish out the sets.  The roaming around even opened up a few more bounty hunting opportunities.  Once done with the cards, I suppose I'll learn to hunt and knock out the rest of the outfits and hunting requests.  My total completion is just under 95%.  

I have finished the Legendary fish and animals (except the panther as I still need to unlock it and don't care for hunting), the dream catchers, rock formations, dinosaur bones and visited all of the graves. 
Interesting -- I've peeked at a few graves here and there, but never thought of purposefully looking at every one I come across. Without spoiling anything, is there content or missions or other things that are specifically triggered by examining graves? 

The dialogue in this game slays me constantly.

There was one mission where, without spoiling it, you get into a scuffle at a saloon. Afterwards, in chastising the bartender for being more aware of who he's serving and how much, Arthur says the following:

Arthur (sternly): You should really think about who you are serving!

Arthur (immediately after and slightly under his breath): Now, give me a beer.

Really clever and made me LOL. 

Interesting -- I've peeked at a few graves here and there, but never thought of purposefully looking at every one I come across. Without spoiling anything, is there content or missions or other things that are specifically triggered by examining graves? 
Best I can tell, just an achievement and upping the completion % (and the chance to see some amazing views).  I finished the Cigarette Cards.  Its absolutely insane the amount of buildings, pop up missions and encounters these led to (including finding things along the way, like the tiny church, that have no map purpose and are just there).  I figured I was just about done and had seen it all, but then went looking for the "items" on the RDR2 map.  BAM, more hours of roaming enjoyment, more stuff to find that I doubt I would have ever found on my own and some amazing gun fights with bounty hunters.  

In the stupid mission with Penelope Braithwaite and her moron lover, my horse followed the train to Fort Riggs.  One of her ##### cousins bumped into my horse and knocked it off the train trestle into a ravine and killed it.  This resulted in me carrying a damn saddle around, which caused the game to glitch when I came across a couple guys from a chain gang that needed medicine, because just as I was going to give it to them the saddle disappeared and went to the stables.   It took about an hour of powercycling, etc. to get the game back.

I just learned there is a shrunken head to be found in this game. The odd occurrences, unique items, chance encounters, and crazy mysteries embedded in this game make me think I could play it for 5 years and not even find 3/4 of all the things in this game.

Spent my last two sessions trying to polish off the satchels. Figure they are good to have as the game progresses (more loot to use/sell, less bother in having to return to camp/town to manage, etc.). Was so pumped to finally bag that damned elusive panther and rowing my arms off trying to get a perfect iguana, thinking I could craft that last satchel and have what I need for Legend of the East satchel.

Turns out I have to go hunt another perfect wolf and cougar. 

Sigh, saddling up and back to Owanjila and the Aurora Basin I go. 

I finished the main story and am now on the epilogue.   I did a fair amount of side stuff, but I really don't see playing it after the epilogue wraps up.   

I think my favorite character in the whole thing is Hamish.  

Epic night of venturing out into the wilderness last night. Probably what I would consider a perfect quest. Spoilers ahead so if you want to play clean without being told where to find some stuff, stop reading here. Long post ahead. I don't know why anyone will be interested in the adventure, but getting it off my chest, thanks for the indulgence.

Tried hunting for wolves near Owanjila, but no dice -- after two days in game, only saw one and it was low quality. Decide to head out to the other location I remember seeing wolves, which was around Lake Isabella in western Ambarino.

Head back to Strawberry for an assisted bath (scrub that left leg, baby) and change of clothes to ensure I had warm gear. It gets frigid up there in the Grizzlies West. In town, also hit the general mercantile to load up on predator bait. It threw a couple of cover scent lotions in the basket for good measure, too.

Light out for the northlands. Saw a trail heading up to what I thought was Mount Shann -- had been there before coming from the north and Big Valley, but not up this trail. It was night, and had heard whispers of things going on at the top of that mountain in the night, so head up multiple switchbacks, running into a rock carving (only my second found, they are so damned elusive) and some giant's remains. Very cool.

Head back down and head north again, revisiting Lenora View cabin which for some reason had a perfect sparrow just lying dead on the porch. Still can't find a way into this shack.

There was a saddled Kentucky Saddler just sitting there for some reason. No one else around. Well, tough beans, I made it my horse. Nailed a perfect pronghorn and loaded it on up.

Head north across the Little Creek River to Wallace Station to mail off the carving coordinates, then meander off trail due west towards a tiny blip on the map just northwest of the station. Weird fenced clearing with a chimney without loot, so just wandering the perimeter fence until I ran smack dab into a double-bit hatchet. Cool!

Hit the road leading northwest, stopping by Watson's Cabin, the shack that used to houde a sad old crone and her four boys -- until I had blown them away, anyway.  On a whim went back in (just learned from another mission that sometimes there are loose floorboards in cabins to pry up) and it was still full of loot -- including some jewlery items and a semi-auto shotgun in a basement crawl space. Noice.

As evening fell, turn north to head up to Isabella, and just where the three roads intersect north of Hanging Dog Ranch. Heard some howling, and all of sudden, a pack of 5 wolves slink out of the trees.

I hate when this happens. My plan was to cover up with lotion, set out bait, and hunt from afar -- when a pack descends, what normally happens to me is my horse throws me, the wolves attack at once, and I have zero time to study them or even look while aiming at whether any are 3-star. That doesn't seem to be a feature when you are under attack from all sides. In these cases, I can only hope to dead eye a few in the bean with my rifle -- what usually happens is that I'm spraying them and the entire forest around me with lead without abandon before I'm ripped into shreds. 

So with a sinking feeling, knowing I'll likely have to reload from my last save point, I try my best to dead-eye and aim between their eyes. Hit two this way, the other three get hit with multiple shots or in non-perfect locations. I think one of my horses trampled a body after I shot it, too, pretty much ensuring a tiny probability it will be perfect.

Skin one -- it's a one star. The next is a two star, as is the next. Bother. Another one star. Last wolf? Perfect. I don't know how or why, but was elated.

Load up pelt and carcass, set the marker for home, and set off. Stop by the trapper by Riggs Station as a reinforced Herbalist gunbelt was waiting for me, then head off for Clemen's Point. 

I see a campfire burning on the banks just across Bard's Crossing -- walk in expecting to draw down (for some reason every one I've tried to say hi too has thrown back attitude -- every.single.one. Maybe it's my legendary fox mountain hat that's setting them off? Whatever, dude, my ears kept warm and it looks super fly).

Instead, I get greeted by a friendly pup and an even friendlier camper who invites me to sit down before telling me about his plight of falling in with the Chelonians who bilked him of his possessions with the promise of salvation. So dude, why are you joining up with them? Strange. Even stranger is that after our conversation, he somehow gets offended at something and leaves, but wishes me well. I loot his camp, but for some reason stealing the salmon he had caught made me lose honor. Strange. Must be related to a later mission? Had already helped Mary's brother, so maybe there are more Chelonians to meet?

Head for camp. Literally a trail away (that stove-in stone shack with the worn tower north of camp) and both animal carcasses I netted fall off the horses, decayed. Dammit.

This was the only glitch in what I consider my most perfect free-roam campaign. Reload a save from the trapper, and go hell-bent for leather (Work, ya nag!) for camp, not bothering to stop for the Chelonian on the banks (I wonder if he'll resurface again?).

Make it to camp. Restock the camp's provisions to gold with all the meat I provide, and donate the perfect wolf skin. The final piece of a long grinding journey.

Craft the Legend of the East satchel.

So gratifying.

Thanks for your patience and forbearance. 

Been enjoying this quite a bit, especially when I realized Dutch was basically Jax from Sons of Anarchy. "Just one more score and then we can go legit." 

Actually, the game is designed to do this.  Sure, it allows you to pay a bounty and be "forgiven", but it never lets the townspeople you have offended "forget". I read an article on this very thing and they said it was a way to emphasize the importance of decisions having consequences and to add depth to NPCs in the game. 

Just another of the brilliant strokes of genius in this game. 

Fast Travel is one of the things that is seriously lacking in this game.
I disagree. I don't think it is lacking, I think it is amazing.  With so many games (and gamers) that are a microcosm of society and just want to go point A-Z as quickly as they can, they suffer the age-old advice of never stopping to smell the roses and something like actually having to think and decide how to get somewhere and the time consequences of it is exactly what makes you feel completely immersed into the game and, more importantly, afford you the opportunity to explore what is probably the best open world game to date.  

If people were just "click" and they jump from one side of the map to the other, they would miss SO much this game has to offer. 

Finished the epilogue.   Rode around and did some random stuff and looked at some of the challenges left and decided I'm good.   Did run across another Klan meeting where I shot them all with flaming arrows.  That was fun.

Oh yeah...protip:  Don't use exploding shotgun shells on people when you're near them.  Burning dude fell off his horse, set my horse on fire and killed it.   Very disappointing.

Just wrapped this up today. I purposely left a few things off to do in the Epilogue (won't mention unless asked because they are spoilers). 

I also have a question for all you smart game people at the end.

This is an amazing game. I am a grown ### man and I think I may have cried a little at the end.  If they released a movie of it tomorrow, I'd watch it even though I know what happens. 

I am SERIOUSLY picking nits here but if there were a couple of things I wish Rockstar would have changed in this game:

-This game is so beautiful visually that I think they could have let your character not "drive" as much. I mean, you are doing all the damned work, all the time and I wish they would let you just take a side seat sometimes just so you can absorb the beauty of it all. For instance, when you are in a boat in the swamp, let the other guy row just so you can sit and soak it all in, bank side to bank side. There are a lot of places this could be done. I know they have the cinematic mode but it would be great to be a "passenger along for the ride" when some things are happening every now and again.

-I wish they would let you name your customized guns and then use them in the online mode. I think this could be a really cool thing if players were able to unlock truly epic capabilities for weapons and then name them and then carry them into online where other players could gun you down and take it. It would create a certain level of legendary players here and there.

-I believe there is an aspect of this game that got left on the cutting room floor in that Sadie and Arthur were meant to be a couple at some point. That dup played out incredibly well every single time we got them in the same place. Well done and boy I wish it could have been more.

Ok, the question: with today's games of mods and DLC you can add to a game after the fact, would it be possible to introduce code into the original RED Dead, something simple but profound, to where Arthur IS mentioned in the game and, therefore, becomes a part of the original game? if so, I think they should look at introducing some aspects that they can spin the next one on (there BETTER BE a next one...this was just too good).  Or at least give me a DLC where I get to see Arthur and Mary or Arthur and Eliza and continue to flesh out Arthur's life.

Finished the epilogue.   Rode around and did some random stuff and looked at some of the challenges left and decided I'm good.   Did run across another Klan meeting where I shot them all with flaming arrows.  That was fun.

Oh yeah...protip:  Don't use exploding shotgun shells on people when you're near them.  Burning dude fell off his horse, set my horse on fire and killed it.   Very disappointing.
That reminds me...I LOVE the degree of things you can do in this game that aren't obvious but then when they happen, you're like "Yeah! of course!"

For example, a guy robs me and steals my horse.  I whistle for my horse and it bucks the dude off because, well yeah, that's what could happen.

Or, I'm told to run over to a cannon and shoot a hole in the wall so we can escape and I'm like "Forget that. I am carrying dynamite" So i stick the boom stick to the wall and blow the hole out like that.  

Or, I find an abandoned mail wagon and I'm like " I wonder if there are any letters in here that tell me anything about what's going on" and sure enough, one tells the details of what happened at Emerald Ranch and solves that mystery.  This stuff is just TOO good.

Users who are viewing this thread