What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL Red Dead Redemption 2 Thread***aka AHRN'S MURDER HOBO ADVENTURE: HUNTS ELK AND PLAYS POKER (3 Viewers)

Argh.  I just realized Eagle Eye will reveal plants that can be picked, make animals flash so they stand out when they are too far away to see well otherwise, etc.  I've only used it for actual tracking.

So I got to chapter 2 and went to valentine and got all excited to play and.....nothing. Met some guy who wants to write a book so I took that mission but got killed soon after so that went away. Haven’t found anything else to do. Just driving around in circles. Kind of annoying. 

So I got to chapter 2 and went to valentine and got all excited to play and.....nothing. Met some guy who wants to write a book so I took that mission but got killed soon after so that went away. Haven’t found anything else to do. Just driving around in circles. Kind of annoying. 
There's lots of stuff to do in Chapter 2 imo, that's where I am now. And I mean besides just going out into the world and screwing around/hunting/etc.

I already went on a big hunt with Hosea, brought Uncle and the girls from camp into town and got into some shenanigans, tracked down a bounty for the Sheriff, and I'm about to see what Javier's up to in the Saloon. Also ran into some smaller side quest type stuff on the road with some Strangers. 

Just talk to your buddies who have the yellow initials over them on the map

Do the debt missions for Strauss.   That will open the path to a lot of improvements you can work on while doing other missions.

Just finished upgrading 2 parts of my satchel so I can carry 50% extra jewelry and materials (meat, skins, etc).

There's lots of stuff to do in Chapter 2 imo, that's where I am now. And I mean besides just going out into the world and screwing around/hunting/etc.

I already went on a big hunt with Hosea, brought Uncle and the girls from camp into town and got into some shenanigans, tracked down a bounty for the Sheriff, and I'm about to see what Javier's up to in the Saloon. Also ran into some smaller side quest type stuff on the road with some Strangers. 

Just talk to your buddies who have the yellow initials over them on the map
Yea i guess I just have to figure it out. I was expecting just to run into stuff. 

Do the debt missions for Strauss.   That will open the path to a lot of improvements you can work on while doing other missions.

Just finished upgrading 2 parts of my satchel so I can carry 50% extra jewelry and materials (meat, skins, etc).
I’ll look for Strauss. Thanks. 

I skipped the NFL completely yesterday and put about 9 consecutive hours into this game instead.  I feel like I could write a dissertation on things I dislike about the controls and some of the game mechanics, but this is clearly a top-tier GOTY contender despite some nitpicking.  I've started visiting every house I can when I ride toward my next mission -- I've picked up some little tasks and good loot that way.  I encountered a KKK cross-burning in the woods, and also uncovered another Deliverance-type gang.  The way they did hunting is also excellent, and I'm frequently getting sidetracked by taking breaks to go hunting.  

the horse mechanics are vastly improved and hilarious. T-bones a stage coach last night (during a mission when I had to chase a guy on horseback). The impact was akin to a motorcycle t-boning a van in GTA.

i also ran into a low-hanging branch. Funny results there.

i think the problem with the radial wheel setup is you are using it a ton more than you did in prior Rockstar games. Consumables, changing out weapons, maintaining the horse, pulling up treasure maps, etc. you are constantly in the menus (which is good imo, aside from the mechanics).

That mission didn't go away unless there was no autosave.  Hit left on the DPad it will show you tasks.   That should now be in that list.

Maybe you haven't explored enough.  But I haven't had any issues trying to find missions or stuff happening

Side question -   How many enhanced baths do I have to buy before I get touched.   I haven't been able to get any action with any whores......

That mission didn't go away unless there was no autosave.  Hit left on the DPad it will show you tasks.   That should now be in that list.

Maybe you haven't explored enough.  But I haven't had any issues trying to find missions or stuff happening
Ok. I didn’t know the dpad thing. I was looking at the map. Thanks. 

Btw I totally suck at video games so sorry for asking the noob questions. 

Ok. I didn’t know the dpad thing. I was looking at the map. Thanks. 

Btw I totally suck at video games so sorry for asking the noob questions. 
Well circles should show up on the map if that things is "active" - so you need to make sure

I have sizable warrants out in Strawberry and Valentine. Going to play it out as long as I can before buying my peace.

(as an aside, I had the Strawberry warrant when I was supposed to start a quest.

the jailbreak mission there. I walked up to the jail and all hell breaks loose. I die. I respawn and it resets everything. I have no problem talking to the Sherriff to start the mission. Still not sure how all that works.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I skipped the NFL completely yesterday and put about 9 consecutive hours into this game instead.  I feel like I could write a dissertation on things I dislike about the controls and some of the game mechanics, but this is clearly a top-tier GOTY contender despite some nitpicking.  I've started visiting every house I can when I ride toward my next mission -- I've picked up some little tasks and good loot that way.  I encountered a KKK cross-burning in the woods, and also uncovered another Deliverance-type gang.  The way they did hunting is also excellent, and I'm frequently getting sidetracked by taking breaks to go hunting.  
This is how I feel. The "slow" chapter one is over (although I didn't mind it that much), and I'm having a blast, despite the clunky control. Now I understand the stellar reviews. 

I have sizable warrants out in Strawberry and Valentine. Going to play it out as long as I can before buying my peace.

(as an aside, I had the Strawberry warrant when I was supposed to start a quest.

the jailbreak mission there. I walked up to the jail and all hell breaks loose. I die. I respawn and it resets everything. I have no problem talking to the Sherriff to start the mission. Still not sure how all that works.)
:lol:   That mission is something

Still in Chapter 2. Won't say exactly where/who unless someone quotes and asks, I can put it in spoilers.

But prowling around backyards in Valentine I was able to spy into someone's back window and discover an illegal operation, which I then was able to rob with my bandit mask. I may have gotten lucky but it went off without a hitch--the proprietor of the legit front room operation didn't recognize me, opened the door for me, and after a 4-on-1 shootout in tight quarters I grabbed a pile of cash, a new revolver, and got the hell out before the law saw me (bandit kerchief will work on civilians I think but not law enforcement if you've been in town before).

Rode around in a big circle and came trotting back into town dressed in a different outfit to spend my hard-earned blood money on a sexy new saddle, moseyed along to witness the aftermath of my crime/do-goodery (not sure which). 

Still in Chapter 2. Won't say exactly where/who unless someone quotes and asks, I can put it in spoilers.

But prowling around backyards in Valentine I was able to spy into someone's back window and discover an illegal operation, which I then was able to rob with my bandit mask. I may have gotten lucky but it went off without a hitch--the proprietor of the legit front room operation didn't recognize me, opened the door for me, and after a 4-on-1 shootout in tight quarters I grabbed a pile of cash, a new revolver, and got the hell out before the law saw me (bandit kerchief will work on civilians I think but not law enforcement if you've been in town before).

Rode around in a big circle and came trotting back into town dressed in a different outfit to spend my hard-earned blood money on a sexy new saddle, moseyed along to witness the aftermath of my crime/do-goodery (not sure which). 
i ALWAYS forget the bandit mask. 

ETA: does the bolded work?

I still haven't figured out how well it works except that it doesn't work with law enforcement who know you. Not totally sure about law enforcement in towns where you haven't been, but I assume the response time is a lot slower out in the wilderness and on farmsteads when witnesses get away, which should give plenty of time to get away before any sheriffs who can "see through" the bandit mask arrive and ID you/put a price on your head. And I'm not sure if changing clothes actually helps but I'm doing it anyway since you can keep 3 outfits on your horse. 

ETA: does the bolded work?
I always forget the mask too.  Just remembered it last night while I was killing canoeists to get a boat to go hunt perfect iguana skins.

Good question on changing clothes, would like to know if it helps.

I always forget the mask too.  Just remembered it last night while I was killing canoeists to get a boat to go hunt perfect iguana skins.

Good question on changing clothes, would like to know if it helps.
:lol:  It never dawned on me toi change clothes.  I just checked - I've played for 18 hours and still don't know how all of it works :)    It took me 10 hours to realize my hat is with me on my horse

This review hits the nail on the head as far as, great game but some bad decisions on controls and realism by the developers.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/10/27/red-dead-redemption-day-1-laborious-gameplay-in-a-stunning-world-2/#4a75dafa4851

I really hope they patch the utterly stupid stuff like not letting you run in camp.  I doubt I'm ever going to be lying on my death bed and wishing I'd had more of my time taken up walking through camp in video games that wouldn't let me run instead.

:lol:  It never dawned on me toi change clothes.  I just checked - I've played for 18 hours and still don't know how all of it works :)    It took me 10 hours to realize my hat is with me on my horse
Change clothes at your camp and one of the commands will be to save it on your horse.  Then it's just one of the Horse Item commands to switch.  Really handy to have cold and warm weather outfits among the 3 your horse can carry.

Can also customize your outfits and save the collective group.   In the camp clothing change thing, you'd go to custom outfits and then bumper to cycle between them.

This review hits the nail on the head as far as, great game but some bad decisions on controls and realism by the developers.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/10/27/red-dead-redemption-day-1-laborious-gameplay-in-a-stunning-world-2/#4a75dafa4851

I really hope they patch the utterly stupid stuff like not letting you run in camp.  I doubt I'm ever going to be lying on my death bed and wishing I'd had more of my time taken up walking through camp in video games that wouldn't let me run instead.
I agree with this. I have limited time to play each day. It sucks to spend 10 minutes riding somewhere on a ####ing horse. I don’t need this much realism. 

Don't need to, RDR2 is a prequel.  If you don't mind knowing how the first ends, you could just read this so you're familiar with all the characters you might run into.  Though you're not any worse off if you don't, you just won't have the nostalgia. 
Oh i want the nostalgia!

Could someone explain the draw thing.  

You press rt slowly to aim longer?

I feel like I screw this up all the time.

Spoiler if need be

Is there more than one in Valentine?  If so I haven't found this one.  A clue would be appreciated.  

I only have two missions left in chapter 2.  

Could someone explain the draw thing.  

You press rt slowly to aim longer?

I feel like I screw this up all the time.

Spoiler if need be
This is in a mission and it took me a few times to get the hang of it. It's just what it says: press RT slowly as you aim. It takes practice. 

(this was the mission where I t-boned the stage coach while chasing the kid)

This is in a mission and it took me a few times to get the hang of it. It's just what it says: press RT slowly as you aim. It takes practice. 

(this was the mission where I t-boned the stage coach while chasing the kid)
I've had it happen 3 or 4 times now and I feel like the other guy outdraws me. Like I'm still "drawing" when he draws and shoots me lol

I also don't know how to "lock" targets during dead eye. I thought the tutorial showed it but I must be doing it wrong

I agree with this. I have limited time to play each day. It sucks to spend 10 minutes riding somewhere on a ####ing horse. I don’t need this much realism. 
It's hard to explain, but I'm kind of appreciating this for this particular game. I like that I need to have my horse nearby, or that I need to remember to take equipment off my horse before setting off on foot. It's refreshing to not have fast travel at my disposal.

In other games, I may not appreciate these things. But it works here so far. That said, I do understand the limited time to play thing.  This isn't shaping up to be a "pick up and goof around for 30 minutes" game. 

Going to NY for a week day after Halloween. Tonight I am putting in a ton of time and also Tuesday night. Halloween is the biggest holiday in my house so these next two nights this will be all I get for the next week....ugh.....I am so addicted to this game.

Seriously.....GOAT type air despite some clunky controls. The open world this game brings with very good AI, the scope of the map, the amount of life all around you and dynamic as hell.....simply the new standard for open world games. You have never played an open world game as deep as this one. But the cinematic aspect of this game? You truly feel like you are living in a Western Epic and you are simply creating the script every game session you have. Just totally blown away with this title.

It's hard to explain, but I'm kind of appreciating this for this particular game. I like that I need to have my horse nearby, or that I need to remember to take equipment off my horse before setting off on foot. It's refreshing to not have fast travel at my disposal.

In other games, I may not appreciate these things. But it works here so far. That said, I do understand the limited time to play thing.  This isn't shaping up to be a "pick up and goof around for 30 minutes" game. 
I had a mission - ride off.   Do what I need to.  Get done the mission.   My horse is no where.   Hes back at the stupid mission start point.   So I have to break a wild horse, ride him back to ear shot then get my other horse.

So I'm not sure if I can remember to have my horse follow me on all mission here out :lmao:

This is an excellent, spot-on review.  RDR2 is going to win a bunch of GOTY awards -- and deservedly so -- but there are lots of places where it really should have prioritized gameplay over realism instead of the other way around.

I've had it happen 3 or 4 times now and I feel like the other guy outdraws me. Like I'm still "drawing" when he draws and shoots me lol

I also don't know how to "lock" targets during dead eye. I thought the tutorial showed it but I must be doing it wrong
Same here. I figured it was an upgrade to deadeye. It doesn't work the old way, that's for sure.

Deadeye seems to auto-place the shots for me, including when I don't want it too.  Help file says the right bumper is supposed to decide where to shoot and then trigger to shoot.

By the way, a setting that might be worth changing is the auto-lock on width, how far from your aim spot will it search for an auto-lock on.  I changed it for mount/vehicles which helps aim in on birds and small animals easier from horseback.

Deadeye seems to auto-place the shots for me, including when I don't want it too.  Help file says the right bumper is supposed to decide where to shoot and then trigger to shoot.

By the way, a setting that might be worth changing is the auto-lock on width, how far from your aim spot will it search for an auto-lock on.  I changed it for mount/vehicles which helps aim in on birds and small animals easier from horseback.
Sage advice. I am going to start honing in on customizing my controller settings/sensitivity as I play through the game as well.

Has anyone been mauled by a predator? 

So far, I've been killed by the Legendary Bear and a Mountain Lion (I think).

Really awesome when it happens

I have video clip of the latter. 

Users who are viewing this thread