What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL Red Dead Redemption 2 Thread***aka AHRN'S MURDER HOBO ADVENTURE: HUNTS ELK AND PLAYS POKER (1 Viewer)

Poke_4_Life said:
You got a horse brush for free from the stable with your first horse.  Just use left trigger standing next to your horse and it should be an option.
Did I have to pick it up in that barn? If so I did not. Will try again tonight because the brush option is always greyed out.

belljr said:
my .02- as a guy who HATES this stuff.   it takes 30 seconds to eat some food.

Or go to a saloon and buy a meal if close.

Brushing a horse is 2 seconds and you can feed it while riding.

I get where you are coming from but what it does is if you are underweight or your core drops you take damage faster.

I really don't spend much time at camp except when I have to go back there.  :shrug:

I guess I dont find it as tedious as others.
Fair enough and good points. To be fair, I may have overstated my frustration and given the impression I'm not enjoying the game. For the most part I am.

I guess the frustration on my part is 2-fold... When on the edges of the map outside civilization it's a pain to keep coming back to town for supplies and not being able to stay out for very long. And it seems I'm always in need of supplies because despite constantly eating and feeding my horse, my Arthur is underweight and my horse malnourished.

So it seems I'm probably eating and feeding my horse way more than everyone else. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I wish there were some kind of hunger indicators so you knew when you needed to perform those actions.

Idk what you're supposed to do but I only eat or feed my horse when the health core is 2/3 full or lower. I imagine waiting until it's at danger levels is how you lose weight and eating when your core is full or almost full is how you get fat. But idk, I'm maintaining my weight and my horse's weight so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Made some steady progress and enjoying things more. This may be a bad idea, but I’m going to start over. Having a better understanding of the core gameplay and controls makes me want to start fresh and get things done in a less sloppy manner. 

A couple of questions -

Is there a difficulty slider or is it just the same for all?

Any tips on investing in the camp?  I’d rather not worry about cash, so want to optimize quickly. 

Installing it now, can't wait to get started. Any other good tips for starters besides the ones already listed? XB1

Made some steady progress and enjoying things more. This may be a bad idea, but I’m going to start over. Having a better understanding of the core gameplay and controls makes me want to start fresh and get things done in a less sloppy manner. 

A couple of questions -

Is there a difficulty slider or is it just the same for all?

Any tips on investing in the camp?  I’d rather not worry about cash, so want to optimize quickly. 

Given the things you disliked the most so far:

Upgrade Dutch's tent first.  It will cause everyone else to start donating more, but the main reason you do it is to unlock the upgrade of Arthur's tent after it.  Once you get that, there will be a map on the other side of his wagon from his bed, that will let you Fast Travel away to other cities that you've found.  You can't fast travel back, just away.

After that, I find the ammo upgrades to be worth it, and I buy ammo there to refresh it.  I think it's probably cheaper than buying it all individually at a store.

You'll also want to get the Leather Tools so you can get upgrades from Pearson, the cook.  I've spent more time earning the upgrades to satchel space than all other missions combined so far.

I've been murdering O'Driscolls on the road with the sexiest gun in the west--Volcanic pistol, extended barrel, ebony wood grip, gold plated frame, with gold inlaid engraving down the sides of a dark steel barrel. Whew. It fires slower than the revolver I was using but it's more powerful and damn is it pretty. 

The best part was I only had to buy the customizations--I saved some schlub on the road who had been bitten by a snake and the next time I was in town he offered to buy me a gun. Sweet

Can't wait until I can eventually dual-wield a second one customized differently. 

I've been murdering O'Driscolls on the road with the sexiest gun in the west--Volcanic pistol, extended barrel, ebony wood grip, gold plated frame, with gold inlaid engraving down the sides of a dark steel barrel. Whew. It fires slower than the revolver I was using but it's more powerful and damn is it pretty. 

The best part was I only had to buy the customizations--I saved some schlub on the road who had been bitten by a snake and the next time I was in town he offered to buy me a gun. Sweet

Can't wait until I can eventually dual-wield a second one customized differently. 
I did this, because I knew what would happen from reviews.  But I've never seen him in town.  Guess I missed out on a free gun, can't really go back to Valentine now.

What triggers Chapter 3 and if do you lose the ability to do certain jobs if you advance the storyline?
There's a mission w/ John Marston that starts in Valentine near the pig/sheep pens.  Wish I had known last night but that mission shuts off Valentine and prompts the end of Chapter 2.  I'm sure Valentine and other places nearby will be available at some point down the road but they are closed for a while after that mission.  

I did that gold bar glitch last night, got a cool 30k now :moneybag: :moneybag: .   Some here may frown on that but I'm totally cool with it. I like killing people so this will be mostly bounty money anyways.

Valentine doctor 

was expecting a little more payoff for busting up the O’Driscoll operation in the back of the doctor’s office. Not sure it’s worth the hassle. Was fun, however.

Has anyone checked to see if you can load an animal carcass into a wagon?

Wondering if it would be possible to use one to load up a whole bunch of kills and haul them all off at once.

I did that gold bar glitch last night, got a cool 30k now :moneybag: :moneybag: .   Some here may frown on that but I'm totally cool with it. I like killing people so this will be mostly bounty money anyways.
Doesn't bother me what people do in a single player game, long as you have fun.

I am sitting here questioning though whether for me it would be fun, or take fun away.  Earning money through hunting as I gather perfect pelts for satchel upgrades has been one of the things I've enjoyed most.  If all the carcasses and extra non-perfect pelts had been meaningless because I didn't have other cash needs, I think I'd enjoy the game less.

ETA: Speaking of which, I'm down to needing one more perfect elk and one perfect panther.  I found panthers but so far the score there is Arthur 2, Panthers 1, and my two kills were very far from perfect.  :topcat:

I did this, because I knew what would happen from reviews.  But I've never seen him in town.  Guess I missed out on a free gun, can't really go back to Valentine now.
Don't feel bad about it, you can still only purchase the guns you've already seen/had or whatever so it's not really getting you ahead much. I thought it was cool because it let me try out a pistol I thought looked cool but wouldn't normally spring for

And also, this isn't the only place you'll run into this.

I had the same benefit with the General Store in Strawberry, and I saved someone I then saw in Rhodes but I guess I didn't respond to him fast enough as he started out with his "there's the guy now" but then walked off before offering to buy me something.

Another thing while I'm thinking about it... found a guy camping out north of Strawberry.  Sat down at his fire and chatted briefly and then I started cooking. He kept on chatting, but I couldn't respond while cooking.  He started getting upset with me for not responding until I had to hurriedly exit the cooking menu and take off as he was pulling a gun out and telling me to leave.

Which I found to be quite rude.   :grad:

I've witnessed so many telling interactions at camp, and some hilarious ones too. I think some of then are totally unique and won't be repeated if you miss them or walk out of earshot. You're really doing yourself a disservice if you aren't spending a portion of every day chilling around camp doing whatever imo

Another word to the wise while I'm thinking about it.  Had one perfect elk pelt stored on my horse, and had a perfect grizzly over my shoulder when I made a save.   Quit and loaded the save later, and it started out with me on the horse.  The elk pelt was still on the horse, but my grizzly pelt was gone.  :(

So don't trust saves to restore stuff you're carrying on your shoulder.

damn i found a shotgun and it sucked - guess is should have kept it.

Is there an easy way to compare guns.  I feel like I have to pickup the gun - show info - remember the info - pick up the other and do the same thing.  That is a

pet peeve.

What triggers Chapter 3 and if do you lose the ability to do certain jobs if you advance the storyline?
I'm not sure but I triggered it.  I guess its after a main mission but my side missions seem still intact.

damn i found a shotgun and it sucked - guess is should have kept it.

Is there an easy way to compare guns.  I feel like I have to pickup the gun - show info - remember the info - pick up the other and do the same thing.  That is a

pet peeve.
Is there any variation between guns, other than just being in need of a cleaning that is?

I just assumed every gun of the same model has the same stats.  Not counting upgrades, anyway.

I do. The drop icon never highlights. It only lets me sell my items. Is it Pearson?
Yes, when you walk up to the table it should have the option to donate or something like that.  He doesn't have to be there.  Once you click donate he appears.  You also can drop carcass anywhere in camp.  Oh, and if you just did a jailbreak these things are on hold.  Drop the carcass and have a drink and enjoy.  

Yes, when you walk up to the table it should have the option to donate or something like that.  He doesn't have to be there.  Once you click donate he appears.  You also can drop carcass anywhere in camp.  Oh, and if you just did a jailbreak these things are on hold.  Drop the carcass and have a drink and enjoy.  
Oh donate. Ugh thanks!

Doesn't bother me what people do in a single player game, long as you have fun.

I am sitting here questioning though whether for me it would be fun, or take fun away.  Earning money through hunting as I gather perfect pelts for satchel upgrades has been one of the things I've enjoyed most.  If all the carcasses and extra non-perfect pelts had been meaningless because I didn't have other cash needs, I think I'd enjoy the game less.

ETA: Speaking of which, I'm down to needing one more perfect elk and one perfect panther.  I found panthers but so far the score there is Arthur 2, Panthers 1, and my two kills were very far from perfect.  :topcat:
Are you headshotting for perfect pelts? I'm way up north near the "reservation" and Legendary Wolf. Going to hunt my way back I think.

Came across a "camp of bandits" while fleeing the Valentine Sheriff (totally chaos, especially because I then ran past the Fort up north so I had three different groups shooting at me).

I assume these randomly spawn, but I am wondering if they are static once triggered. I doubt I can find it again, but I'd like to try. 

Are you headshotting for perfect pelts? I'm way up north near the "reservation" and Legendary Wolf. Going to hunt my way back I think.
For big critters like deer, elk, pronghorns, boars and the like I'm galloping in at full speed, using Deadeye as I lasso them and then moving in close and doing a knife kill (it pops up as the option instead of hogtie once you've reeled them in close).  Short of your horse running them over there isn't any risk of damage to the animal that way.  They still have to be a pristine one to get a perfect pelt though.

Small critters and predators I'm doing head shots with the appropriate weapon.  I have had no luck using the predator bait to catch a panther though. I think it only draws stuff that has spawned, and they don't spawn very frequently even in the area with the panther icon on the map.  I find I am best off quitting the game completely and reloading to cause it to respawn new animals and then go ride through the area waiting for my horse to act spooked.

Oh, and I don't recommend trying to lasso the Legendary White Elk. Though the look on Arthur's face as he was dragged across the ground behind it as it galloped away was pretty priceless. Other elk are fine, even though you'd think they might gore you with their horns when you get close, they don't attack.

I didnt play last night and am having withdrawal

And I am leaving town until next Tuesday :kicksrock:
I have played around 60 minutes since Sunday.  It is killing me.  I have a 5-day trip w/ family coming up that is going drive me crazy and I will not be able to play.

Anyone seen an Englishman named Gavin?   Asking for a friend.  ;)

Lunch time update:  Arthur 3, Panthers 1.   Clean head shot after he snuck up and my horse threw me, but only 1 star on the corpse. :(    Carcass alone was worth $6 though.

Another perfect pelt tip:

1. Chase deer into lake.
  2. Head shot while it's swimming slow.
  3. Swim out and push corpse back to shore. (ETA: Don't delay, it will sink after a bit)
  4. Profit.

Another perfect pelt tip:

1. Chase deer into lake.
  2. Head shot while it's swimming slow.
  3. Swim out and push corpse back to shore. (ETA: Don't delay, it will sink after a bit)
  4. Profit.
Instead of swimming, can you lasso the body and pull it back to shore? I ask because I know it's also possible to lasso them while chasing them on horseback and then knife kill them without ever firing a shot.

Similarly, for perfect snake skins, I heard you can run up to a snake and melee stun it, and then skin it alive.

Anyone seen an Englishman named Gavin?   Asking for a friend.  ;)

Lunch time update:  Arthur 3, Panthers 1.   Clean head shot after he snuck up and my horse threw me, but only 1 star on the corpse. :(    Carcass alone was worth $6 though.
Take out the Legendary Buck.  It has a trinket that makes your skins come out better.

Take out the Legendary Buck.  It has a trinket that makes your skins come out better.
I tried finding that buck and was disappointed when I received an onscreen message saying something to the effect that the area had too much action and to come back another time.

:unsure:

I tried finding that buck and was disappointed when I received an onscreen message saying something to the effect that the area had too much action and to come back another time.

:unsure:
That happened the first couple times I was out there too.

Users who are viewing this thread