What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft- Keke Coutee, WR, Houston (5 Viewers)

I believe this may be the case.

I am considering dropping Calvin Ridley for Coutee in one league.

Not so much that I don't like Ridley and his TD upside, but its looking more and more like he is a boom or bust type guy at this point in his career. (with his arrow pointing straight up as he gets more targets and as Julio ages) Judging from what I see in the few Atlanta games I've watched,  it seems to be Ryan looking for Julio, then "pick your poison" as a second read. Sanu, Hall, Ridley, Hooper, any RB, and who knows what may be found on his second or later reads and targets.

With Fuller now gone for the season, I think Coutee might be a more stable producer at WR every week, although I don't know he has the TD upside that Ridley does.

The leagues I play in, are start 3 WRS, and realistically either would be a bye week fill-in as I'm loaded at WR. I would guess either Coutee and Ridley are fine WR3s, but if Coutee can get healthy one would think he will have a bit more volume on a weekly basis.

Maybe some Texan homers or guys that watch their games more closely could elaborate.

TZM
Crazy talk imo. You don't drop a player who could very easily win his owner the title. You might not start him because you think he's too risky but I sure wouldn't give him to another team.

I was offered a late 2nd for Keke in a league I'm building. He's on my taxi squad and I don't think I'll promote him. I don't think I'll take the offer but what value do you place on Keke in dynasty now?

-OZ- said:
I was offered a late 2nd for Keke in a league I'm building. He's on my taxi squad and I don't think I'll promote him. I don't think I'll take the offer but what value do you place on Keke in dynasty now?
I think I'd want more than a late 2nd.  At least two 2nds, maybe just an early one.  He's been productive (when healthy), he's young and he plays with Watson.  Being on the field with Hopkins guarantees that he won't be up against the #1 DB.  Seems like a similar situation to Cooper Kupp, what's he worth today?

I traded him straight up for Lindsay a few weeks ago. I needed the RB help and the other owner needed WR help. Think both of us are happy. Incidentally Lindsay is my top scoring RB since so you can imagine the situation I was in lol 

I think I'd want more than a late 2nd.  At least two 2nds, maybe just an early one.  He's been productive (when healthy), he's young and he plays with Watson.  Being on the field with Hopkins guarantees that he won't be up against the #1 DB.  Seems like a similar situation to Cooper Kupp, what's he worth today?
I can see the kupp comp 

I'd give a mid first for kupp. Don't think Keke is there yet but the potential is there.

-OZ- said:
Crazy talk imo. You don't drop a player who could very easily win his owner the title. You might not start him because you think he's too risky but I sure wouldn't give him to another team.

I never dropped Calvin Ridley, and after the  trade maneuvers I'm glad I didn't.  I saw a path for a bigger floor from KeKe, but with the Demaryius Thomas acquisition, all KeKe bets are off.

I'm primarily a redraft kind of guy, though I have tinkered a bit in dynasty with a friends team.  Obviously, things are very different between redraft and dynasty.

I didn't see how long DT  will be tied to Houston, but that will affect KeKe's value in the coming years.

(and as far as dropping Ridley is concerned, I have a bit of a unique team there. I am absolutely loaded at WR and RB even though I'm only 4-4) I have a brutal bye week issue this week, and my RBs and WRs look like this.  TYREEK HILL, AJ GREEN, ODELL BECKHAM JR., CALVIN RIDLEY, COURTLAND SUTTON / DAVID JOHNSON, LAMAR MILLER,LATAVIUS MURRAY,MARLON MACK, KENYAN DRAKE. You are probably wondering how I ended up with Hill, Green and OBJ. I drafted the first two and traded for OBJ to a desperately short at RB team.

Now realize this structure is different, its a non-flex, mandatory start 3 wrs .  Only 6 bench spots, and I'm certainly not dropping one of those RBs to hold Ridley. I had to pick up Sutton to cover all the byes this week, I will drop Sutton and keep Ridley most likely when the week ends. I ended up dropping Matt Breida to get Sutton.

TZM

Keke Coutee (hamstring) believes there's a "high possibility" he returns for Week 11 against the Redskins.

Coutee missed the final two games before the Texans' Week 10 bye. "I think Keke is trending upwards," coach Bill O’Brien said Monday. "I think Keke’s headed in the right direction." If Coutee is indeed back, he will be a WR4 as the Texans sort out the new target delineation between Coutee, DeAndre Hopkins and Demaryius Thomas.

Source: houstontexans.com 

Nov 13 - 1:41 PM

If he plays, he does have a juicy matchup vs the 25th ranked Washington pass defense. He's a tempting flex play but I think I need to wait a week to see how it's going top play out with Demaryius.

Thoughts on him in non-PPR? I may need him as a bye-week fill-in next week if OJ Howard is out, and I'm thinking of dropping Godwin for him. Feels like he's a pretty high-floor, low-ceiling guy. Always the chance that Hopkins hogs all the targets, and we can't expect Thomas to get a donut every week. Still, he's produced pretty consistently when healthy.

Thoughts on him in non-PPR? I may need him as a bye-week fill-in next week if OJ Howard is out, and I'm thinking of dropping Godwin for him. Feels like he's a pretty high-floor, low-ceiling guy. Always the chance that Hopkins hogs all the targets, and we can't expect Thomas to get a donut every week. Still, he's produced pretty consistently when healthy.
He had the most targets (9) yesterday in the game.

He had the most targets (9) yesterday in the game.
He got hurt in the Buffalo game, right? Because if you throw that one out, he's played four full games this season, and gotten 15/7/5/9 targets. Small sample size, but definitely encouraging.

Keke Coutee caught both of his targets for 14 yards in the Texans' Week 12 win over the Titans before he exited with a second-half hamstring injury.

Coutee had nine targets last week but was a total non-factor the entire night before pulling his hamstring again in the third quarter. He's been battling the hammy ever since getting drafted in April. Coutee again will be week to week heading into Week 13 against the Browns. Demaryius Thomas saw five targets and converted them into 4-38-2 behind DeAndre Hopkins. Coutee can be dropped in all formats, even without knowing the severity of his latest injury.
Lost season...

Last edited by a moderator:
Another piece of glass that is a waste of roster space. Amazing that professional athletes that supposedly work our every day cant a void pulling muscles. This guy will be hurt ALL the time and will probably be out of the league by within year or 2.

Another piece of glass that is a waste of roster space. Amazing that professional athletes that supposedly work our every day cant a void pulling muscles. This guy will be hurt ALL the time and will probably be out of the league by within year or 2.
I doubt his hamstring was ever fully healed making it more vulnerable for reinjury. 

Needed him to get less then 4 points. Sad that it was because he reinjuried himself but happy as far as fantasy goes

Really bad post.  You take the magic football way too serious.

Man thinking about dropping him, but facing the NYJ and PHI in Week 15 and 16 is tempting. I have a Week 14 bye locked up...so have 2 weeks to regain confidence in him. Just not sure if I can trust him not to re-injure that hammy during the game again.

Thinking long and hard about dropping him or Sutton for David Moore.

I am dropping him for another defense for the playoff run.  Hoping no injuries to Cooks or Adams but Coutee has been inconsistent and I have MVS and John Brown.

Needed him to get less then 4 points. Sad that it was because he reinjuried himself but happy as far as fantasy goes
Makes me wonder if I was playing against you because  I needed him to get 3.95 points in a playoff game. He got 3.4 and I'm out. Still stewing about it today, low point of my fantasy season so far.

Makes me wonder if I was playing against you because  I needed him to get 3.95 points in a playoff game. He got 3.4 and I'm out. Still stewing about it today, low point of my fantasy season so far.
Was for playoffs in FBG players championship, wasn’t actually against my team but the team with Keke would have been a tougher matchup for the league title then the team that currently won as long as there isn’t a late stat correction

Was for playoffs in FBG players championship, wasn’t actually against my team but the team with Keke would have been a tougher matchup for the league title then the team that currently won as long as there isn’t a late stat correction
Wow, it might be my league because the playoff game I lost was FBG players championship.  Chief Tazer?

Wow, it might be my league because the playoff game I lost was FBG players championship.  Chief Tazer?
Yup that’s me...that was definitely a bad loss but my co-owner and I really didn’t want to go against your team so we didn’t mind the outcome lol

Coach Bill O'Brien said Keke Coutee (hamstring) will be a game-time decision Week 13 against the Browns.

Coutee isn't a fantasy option even if he does play in this one, but his availability could impact the outlook of Demaryius Thomas behind DeAndre Hopkins. Coutee has been limited in practice all week and is truly questionable.

Source: Deepi Sidhu on Twitter 

Nov 30 - 12:04 PM

Keke Coutee (questionable, hamstring) will work out pre-game to determine his status for Week 13 against the Browns.

Nothing has really changed with Coutee's status as coach Bill O'Brien said earlier in the week he'd be a game-time decision. The rookie has shown flashes when healthy, though persistent hamstring woes have limited him to just six games this season. Even if he suits up, Coutee won't be an enticing option for the final week of the fantasy regular season.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Dec 2 - 8:34 AM

Texans coach Bill O'Brien said Keke Coutee (hamstring) has a "shot" to play in Saturday's Wild Card game against the Colts.

Coutee has sat out the Texans' last five games with a chronic hamstring injury but appears to be making progress. "I think there’s a shot," said O'Brien when asked about the rookie's status. "We have to see how he looks in practice on a day-to-day basis, but there’s a shot there." With Will Fuller (ACL) and Demaryius Thomas (Achilles) both out for the season, the Texans could use another healthy body to pair with lead wideout DeAndre Hopkins. DeAndre Carter and Vyncint Smith have been working with Hopkins in three-wide sets.

Source: Houston Chronicle 

Jan 1 - 8:59 AM

Keke Coutee (hamstring) is practicing in full for the Wild Card Round.

It puts the rookie on track to return to his five-game absence. In theory, Coutee should slot in as the Texans' No. 2 wideout against the Colts, but it is possible he has simply missed too much time for that big of a role in such an important game.

Jan 1 - 5:23 PM

Keke Coutee caught 11-of-14 targets for 110 yards and a touchdown in the Texans' Wild Card loss to the Colts.

Returning from a five-game absence with a hamstring injury, Coutee immediately reprised his career best 11/109 NFL debut, which also came against the Colts. A vertical slot receiver with 4.43 speed, Coutee showed plenty of promise heading into 2019. The problem is that he was always banged up, constantly finding himself on the injury report with hamstring issues. Soft-tissue woes are not uncommon for young receivers. Still only 22 (in nine days), Coutee is an intriguing hold in Dynasty leagues.

Jan 5 - 7:52 PM

Good way to end the year.  I’m glad to own him in dynasty. Maybe he can stay off the injury report next year and we can see what he can do. 

Deshaun Watson said the Texans need to find ways to get Keke Coutee the ball.

Watson said Coutee is playing with more confidence and "a lot faster" as a sophomore. A fourth-round pick last year, Coutee dealt with hamstring injuries from training camp on, appearing in just seven games including the playoffs. He showed his playmaking ability when on the field, however, notably catching 22 passes for 219 yards and a touchdown in two games against the Colts. As with teammate Will Fuller, health is the question for Coutee, but he would have a good chance to be a fantasy contributor if he can stay on the field.

SOURCE: James Palmer on Twitter

May 23, 2019, 9:33 AM ET

I am trying to buy this guy everywhere I can. If healthy he will start getting some more shots down the field as well.
I agree with you.  I drafted him in two startups and sent a future 2nd for him in the other league I didn't own him.  He looked really good against my colts.  I am hoping he can do it against other opponents next year.

I drafted him in every dyno last year and there's no way I'd sell for a random second.  His ceiling is uber high.

Having said, he needs to prove that he can do more than catch 10 yard passes going against #2 and #3 CBs, and there are still plenty of questions for me.

He can be huge in ppr leagues as an extension of the running game.

I wanted to draft him in the 4th in 2018 but someone took him in the 3rd. The owner dropped him and Tre'Quan Smith midseason. 

I'm not trading him for a 2nd.

I drafted him in every dyno last year and there's no way I'd sell for a random second.  His ceiling is uber high.

Having said, he needs to prove that he can do more than catch 10 yard passes going against #2 and #3 CBs, and there are still plenty of questions for me.
Agree but he could have a huge opportunity. I don’t think people are fully taking account that Fuller is an injury prone player who tore his ACL in week 8. It’s very likely Fuller isn’t ever fully ready this year. There is very little target competition for Keke.

Agree but he could have a huge opportunity. I don’t think people are fully taking account that Fuller is an injury prone player who tore his ACL in week 8. It’s very likely Fuller isn’t ever fully ready this year. There is very little target competition for Keke.
pretty much sums it up right there. This is a dynamic, pass-happy offense and someone gets a lot of looks opposite Hopkins. Just can't count on Fuller staying healthy at this point.

pretty much sums it up right there. This is a dynamic, pass-happy offense and someone gets a lot of looks opposite Hopkins. Just can't count on Fuller staying healthy at this point.
I think we are forgetting that Keke couldn't stay healthy either.  He actually missed more games than Fuller.  At least in redraft you can drop a guy who goes on IR.  With Keke, his hamstring injury kept you guessing all year long.  Nuke started all 16 games, but no other WR started more than 7.  They had to bring in Demaryius to fill the void, and even he couldn't finish the season healthy.

As for the target opportunity, 118 went to whoever the WR behind Nuke was each week.  My concern for Keke is that he and Fuller will alternate the targets when both are healthy.  FTR, I will take a healthy Fuller over a healthy Keke, so let's see how healed Fuller's ACL is in preseason.

I  don't think it's hard to say who I'd rather have between KeKe and Fuller. When fully healthy both are dynamic playmakers, but KeKe has an incredibly bright future. He is incredible with the ball in his hands. He is a much better player after the catch than Fuller.
Not saying Fuller isn't good, he is, but his work is done before the ball gets in his hands as relies on his speed to beat defenders. KeKe trucks 'em...

In any case, I realize isn't the consensus, but I've watched every snap of both of them and would take KeKe over Fuller in a vacuum.

I think he's a definite buy the round after Fuller.   Fuller is $$$ before he gets injured.  Coutee fits in just right.

Didn't Fuller tear the ACL halfway through the season.  No way he's back fully this year.  Give me the rookie who struggled with his hamstring year 1.  Plenty of stories of guys getting that under control once they learn how to be a professional.

Users who are viewing this thread