Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Atheist mass shootings

IC FBGCav

2 hours ago, timschochet said:

Nominally. But once in power he severely restricted the freedom of Catholics to worship, along with other Christians. 

I don't know man at what point is it a no true Scotsman situation here? He regularly used Bible passages. he worshipped as a Catholic. what more do you need to define it?

30 minutes ago, proninja said:

Well, I was going to say that between 1 and 4 million were shot in the killing fields en masse, but it turns out that they weren't all shot, because the khmer rouge wanted to save money on ammo. So good point I guess? 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmer_Rouge_Killing_Fields

"The executed were buried in mass graves. In order to save ammunition, the executions were often carried out using poison, spades or sharpened bamboo sticks. In some cases the children and infants of adult victims were killed by having their heads bashed against the trunks of Chankiri trees, and then were thrown into the pits alongside their parents. The rationale was "to stop them growing up and taking revenge for their parents' deaths" 

State-sponsored genocide isn't a mass shooting as that term is commonly used. World War II wasn't a collection of mass shootings, nor was the Vietnam War. A mass shooting is when someone flips out and starts killing his co-workers, fellow students, or random people for no obvious reason. It's the kind of thing that, unlike the Cambodian Killing Fields, might be addressed by improved mental health policies or gun control legislation.

It's stuff like what happened at Stoneman Douglas High School earlier this year, or at the Las Vegas concert last year, or at the Orlando nightclub the year before that, or in San Bernadino the year before that.

Mass shootings of that sort are their own separate phenomenon that don't really have anything to do with Hitler, Stalin, or Pol Pot. Completely different causes and solutions.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, timschochet said:

I am an atheist, but this is really kind of silly. 

Ever heard of Josef Stalin? 

13 hours ago, proninja said:

Pol Pot banned religion

Plenty of terrible people to go around, we Christians have our fair share but don't have the market cornered.

:lmao:  These 2 guys don't count. These are guys that were looking to control the masses thru brutality and fear.

As far as mass shootings, I'm pretty sure he's referring to lunatics looking to take out as many as possible sometimes including themselves AND die trying.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, proninja said:

If we're talking about American style mass shootings, I'd suggest that since this a pretty unique problem to a country where three percent of the population claims atheism, we're probably not going to see a lot of atheists shooting up schools. 

Mass shooters seem to be quirky in their demographics even accounting for the small sample size. They seem way more male than you'd expect by chance, for example, and way more white as well. I have no idea whether they're way more theistic than you'd expect by chance, but maybe the purpose of the thread is to invite people to provide instructive data on that point. That would seem more interesting, anyway, than an argument about whether theists or atheists tend to rule or suck relatively more or less than each other.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Mass shooters seem to be quirky in their demographics even accounting for the small sample size. They seem way more male than you'd expect by chance, for example, and way more white as well. I have no idea whether they're way more theistic than you'd expect by chance, but maybe the purpose of the thread is to invite people to provide instructive data on that point. That would seem more interesting, anyway, than an argument about whether theists or atheists tend to rule or suck relatively more or less than each other.

Particularly since we already know the answer to that.  ??

10 minutes ago, proninja said:

That's fair, if that's what the OP is going for. He wasn't very specific, and I figured that the killing fields counted as a mass shooting since lots of people were shot. 

If we're talking about American style mass shootings, I'd suggest that since this a pretty unique problem to a country where three percent of the population claims atheism, we're probably not going to see a lot of atheists shooting up schools. 

This is an American problem, not a Christian problem. Every other majority Christian nation doesn't have this problem. And someone seeming to claim the superiority of atheism for these reasons seems a claim so dubious I'd expect it from Christians. 

Christians don't have the market cornered on this quite like they do child molestation.  But your 3% number is very miss leading.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Stalin never did a mass shooting.

Oh yes he did. From Wiki:

After returning to Tiflis, Stalin organized the robbing of a large delivery of money to the Imperial Bank in June 1907. His gang ambushed the armed convoy in Yerevan Square with gunfire and home-made bombs. Around 40 people were killed, but all of his gang escaped alive.[102]

7 hours ago, toshiba said:

As an atheist myself I understand that not one group holds the crown on having members that suck, atheists included.

This seems like a silly thread.

42 minutes ago, toshiba said:

This thread is stupid 

Stupid is, as stupid does. 

1 hour ago, KCitons said:

8 hours ago, toshiba said:

As an atheist myself I understand that not one group holds the crown on having members that suck, atheists included.

This seems like a silly thread.

1 hour ago, toshiba said:

This thread is stupid 

Stupid is, as stupid does. 

I haven't seen much of the work of the OP so I can't speak to him in particular.

This is a dumb thread, but last night Bill Maher pointed out how misguided and silly it is to cite Hitler, Stalin, and Mao as atheists who committed genocide, because they were cults of one (in other words, "self religions") who eliminated other religions because they didn't like the competition.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Aerial Assault said:

This is a dumb thread, but last night Bill Maher pointed out how misguided and silly it is to cite Hitler, Stalin, and Mao as atheists who committed genocide, because they were cults of one (in other words, "self religions") who eliminated other religions because they didn't like the competition.  

Hitler wasn’t an atheist.  Agree with him on Mao, disagree on Stalin

On 9/28/2018 at 4:17 PM, proninja said:

That's fair, if that's what the OP is going for. He wasn't very specific, and I figured that the killing fields counted as a mass shooting since lots of people were shot. 

This is an American problem, not a Christian problem. Every other majority Christian nation doesn't have this problem. And someone seeming to claim the superiority of atheism for these reasons seems a claim so dubious I'd expect it from Christians. 

Your atheist figure is way wrong.  15 to 20%.

• Like 1

How about female mass shooters?

I know if you go way back in history women were some of the most prolific serial/spree/whatever killers we have seen. Not so much in the modern world.

I guess the San Bernardino attack involved a female but other than that I can't recall any female mass shooters.

Edited by NFL2DF

On 10/3/2018 at 9:16 PM, NFL2DF said:

How about female mass shooters?

I know if you go way back in history women were some of the most prolific serial/spree/whatever killers we have seen. Not so much in the modern world.

I guess the San Bernardino attack involved a female but other than that I can't recall any female mass shooters.

Youtube shooter was a female

2014 Cedarville reservation shooting (4 killed)

2010 Alabama-Huntsville shooting (3 killed)

2006 Goleta post office shooting (7 killed)